Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > When Lionel model trains aren't good enough...

When Lionel model trains aren't good enough...
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2008, 03:43 PM

Polish teen derails tram after hacking train network | The Register

I don't know why this is so funny. Maybe because no one was seriously hurt, but some kid takes control of the local tram and uses it as the ultimate toy train set.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 03:45 PM

Wow he must have had a blast.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 05:43 PM

With a TV remote? That's their fault, not his.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
With a TV remote? That's their fault, not his.
You make it sound like he was walking around with a TV remote and started pushing buttons and everything turned to chaos. The Kid modified (or built... it's not clear from the article) a remote to pull his stunt. The designers made a bad choice by not securing the equipment they made, but seriously... This is ENTIRELY the kid's fault.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
You make it sound like he was walking around with a TV remote and started pushing buttons and everything turned to chaos. The Kid modified (or built... it's not clear from the article) a remote to pull his stunt. The designers made a bad choice by not securing the equipment they made, but seriously... This is ENTIRELY the kid's fault.
I know it was his decision, and he is still responsible for his actions. But honestly, if you can hack a public railway that easily, I think that the system is partly to blame.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 11:07 AM

I agree with Mitchell. Of course the kid needs a slap on the wrist, but those who run the system are partly responsible for not upgrading to a much more secure switching system.

In fact, they're lucky the kid did this. Someone with much more malicious intent could have figured this out first and used it to inflict much more harm. At least now the impetus is on the railway to upgrade their system in the interest of public safety.

zro
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2008, 12:38 PM

No, they are not to blame. They're dumb, but that's about it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2008, 01:10 PM

While the Railroad should have had tighter controls, there's no way you can say its their fault.
Just because they didn't have it locked down, means its their fault, The whole blame the victim doesn't fly. The kid spent hours studying, and building the device, no good was going to come of this. What happens if he killed someone because of the mess he created.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
While the Railroad should have had tighter controls, there's no way you can say its their fault.
Just because they didn't have it locked down, means its their fault, The whole blame the victim doesn't fly. The kid spent hours studying, and building the device, no good was going to come of this. What happens if he killed someone because of the mess he created.
But what happens if someone hijacks the rail system with ill will? That could create a lot more damage. I think it was a good thing to show the rail system that maybe they need to be a bit more secure. Of course, that doesn't justify the actions of the kid, but good can come from bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules