Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bringing the Lounge back to its former glory

Bringing the Lounge back to its former glory (Page 3)
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 12:54 AM

i had to do a double take when i saw the last poster.... then i saw it truly was you. welcome back gorickey! long time no see
how was the vasectomy?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by gorickey View Post
Now that I've posted....yes.

(snicker)
Coming out of retirement every two years I see?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Can I call you Butthawk?
Please do.

Meek as a lamb.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 02:27 AM

(snicker)
Hi.

Just call me Lambchop or Butthawk or Abe.

Or Aberdeenwriter. Or Mojo2. Or, well, I forget the others.

How are you?

Well, I hope.

Do you miss Kevin and RR?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Coming out of retirement every two years I see?
If I could pull gorickey out of retirement, maybe I did something right

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:06 AM

(snicker)
Let's just say that we're on the road to bringing the lounge back to its former glory.

Now, get your frickin shinebox.

Welcome back!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 08:35 PM

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Or Aberdeenwriter. Or Mojo2. Or, well, I forget the others.
marden.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 09:04 PM

btw, rickey, white text alert

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 09:24 PM

Abe is also Kevin, Cody Dawg, Kelly Hogan, and a few others...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 09:29 PM

some1 finally said it

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 09:31 PM

Also Art Bell, and maybe Todd Partridge.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 10:37 PM

it's all making sense to me now!

indigoimac
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 10:55 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, in retrospect it seems to me that the creation of the political lounge seems to have made a lot of crap / rage overflow into the rest of the forum.

While I think it is valuable to have some political discord I am a member of numerous forums that ban politics completely because it just causes too much trouble, perhaps we should do the same?
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
btw, rickey, white text alert
I know it, that is why I was laughing...

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:33 PM

oooooooooooo

h

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 11:35 PM

i'm surprised that no one has mentioned the S word yet

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 8, 2008, 12:03 AM

I'll take Swords for $200

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 12:06 AM

lol I love those SNLs with Connery.

I'll take the penis mightier.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 8, 2008, 12:07 AM

No, the correct answer is "In the Rs."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 12:16 AM

Not in the Rs. That's not what your mother said.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 12:49 AM

I'll take Anal Bum Cover, or The Rapists.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I'll take Anal Bum Cover, or The Rapists.
Ape tit for $200 Alex...

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 01:00 AM

Ruff, that's how your mom likes it Trebek.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 01:13 AM

This is what the lounge is all about. Everyone combining forces for a good laugh. The former glory is back.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 01:23 AM

"This movie title is taken from the name of the book, 'Gone With the WInd'..."
"Dolly Parton!"
"Titles, Mr. Connery.. not T-tties."
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 01:25 AM

I still want a bunch of those penis mightiers.
You're sitting on a goldmine, Trebek.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 02:00 AM

Sean Connery: Well, you were wrong, you mountebank. I pose a conundrum to ya, I riddle if you will

Alex Trebek: I don't want to hear it.

Sean Connery: What's the difference between you and a mallard with a cold? One's a sick duck and I can't remember how it ends, but your mother's a whore.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
marden.
Marden was not me, technically.

But I'm not one to quibble or bitch.

Meek as a lamb.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:40 AM

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Abe is also Kevin, Cody Dawg, Kelly Hogan, and a few others...
I won't quibble or bitch.

abe
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
This is what the lounge is all about. Everyone combining forces for a good laugh. The former glory is back.
Now that the former glory has been restored. I meekly bid you adieu.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:53 AM

[snip]
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jan 8, 2008 at 03:53 AM. Reason: post removed for security reasons)

freudling
Banned
Jan 8, 2008, 04:55 AM

So, this thread is proof positive that the lounge has slipped. A post like this should and has attracted several long-term posters, once that have a history here. But, I skipped from the first page, after reading the first 6 posts, to this last page. Nothing but fluff here.

The point. Good discussions start off interesting and end that way. The current threads, most of them anyway, end up crap and many of them start off that way too. In this way, a thread like this, with experienced posters, illustrates the "half way there" phenomena. But it is not enough to just start off interesting, the discussion should be held, and anyone posting should add something intelligent, something productive. There is so much insulated crap that nobody cares about on these boards. If I see another post that is something to the tune of, "Hey From Mexico!"... Look at all the electronic stores! The Loblaws! It is so American down here! Man is it hot!

Who cares about the NY Mets, or a superpic orgy...

Please, kindly stop this nonsense.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 05:01 AM

=/ sorry. i'm just pulling things from really great threads that i remember, and jokes that were spread around here.

vintage
Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 05:58 AM

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. The lounge has slipped. I used to post here a few years ago, and the difference was this:

Back then people took TIME in their posts. They spent at least a few minutes writing out a topic, or responding to each other's posts. They also, generally, did not attack other members, insult each other, and bait each other. It was annoying with the constant fighting between cash and kilbey/rr, and honestly I liked all of them when they weren't baiting each other. I think that if the mods actually temp-banned them for baiting each other maybe they'd have taken the hint and quit bickering. I also miss Feathers, Cipher, and the rest of the gang who didn't mind writing an intelligent post a page or two long.

I think if you'd like to turn this place back to it's former glory, it needs more educated material. You might find a bunch of pictures of llamas hilarious, but really the thing missing isn't the wackyness, it's the intellect. Someone can even spend the time to write out a quality post, and it will quickly devolve into somebody posting a short response, which is usually a dig at someone else, a sarcastic post about how it's been posted before, or something else which serves no purpose other than to leave a mark that they read it. Do we really need people posting "LOL" or "+1" or "Lame."? No. We do not. I also do not remember one single thread about baseball/football/sports that was worth anything, ever. Sports fans, please post about your team somewhere else.

Perhaps we should start a base 'clan' of members dedicated to bringing this place back. Maybe we could organize some sort of standards that we'd adhere to, kinda like being a hall monitor. You don't really have any more power than the rest of the students, but you'd be a figurehead/role model for everyone else. As for the standards, maybe something like

1. Never posting a one sentence reply. Ever.
2. ???
3. ???

Thoughts?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 08:30 AM

I'm going out on a limb and say you're not a new member but Rob

You could probably say the same thing about car/suv/truck threads.
While you may not consider sport threads memorable, many of us do. where as I do not care for car threads. I don't complain about them or want them locked. What ever floats your boat. It is the lounge and I think like sports threads, car threads shouldn't be disallowed.

I agree though about the +1 threads but I think those have been under control. I also think you you're correct on the quality of the posts.

I was eviscerated by posting a thread in the feedback forum about the increasing volume of nonsense threads. Yet we are surprised to that the lounge has gone down hill.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by vintage View Post
I agree with the sentiment of the OP. The lounge has slipped. I used to post here a few years ago, and the difference was this:

Back then people took TIME in their posts. They spent at least a few minutes writing out a topic, or responding to each other's posts. They also, generally, did not attack other members, insult each other, and bait each other. It was annoying with the constant fighting between cash and kilbey/rr, and honestly I liked all of them when they weren't baiting each other. I think that if the mods actually temp-banned them for baiting each other maybe they'd have taken the hint and quit bickering. I also miss Feathers, Cipher, and the rest of the gang who didn't mind writing an intelligent post a page or two long.
Actually, if you look at some of those old posts, you'll find a lot of things being slung around that weaker minds might interpret as "insults". But nobody objected, and in fact it added to the charm of the place. It had the feel of old friends who know each other well having a chat. Nowadays a thread can't go more than three or four posts without it devolving into a whine-fest on the part of one poster or another about how people are out to get him. (It's always a him, too. The few female members we've had here have been much more socially mature in this respect, even the batshit crazy ones.)

Personally, I rarely participate in a thread that has gone more than three or four pages because by that time it is usually filled with this nonsense.

I think if you'd like to turn this place back to it's former glory, it needs more educated material. You might find a bunch of pictures of llamas hilarious, but really the thing missing isn't the wackyness, it's the intellect. Someone can even spend the time to write out a quality post, and it will quickly devolve into somebody posting a short response, which is usually a dig at someone else, a sarcastic post about how it's been posted before, or something else which serves no purpose other than to leave a mark that they read it. Do we really need people posting "LOL" or "+1" or "Lame."? No. We do not. I also do not remember one single thread about baseball/football/sports that was worth anything, ever. Sports fans, please post about your team somewhere else.
Speak for yourself, but I've had quite a few educated discussions about sports here. I also think the Sports threads do a pretty good job of being self-contained for easy ignoring by people who choose to do so. Just because you don't see any value to it doesn't mean that none exists. Please let us have out intelligent discussions about Sports alongside your intelligent discussions about whatever it is you discuss.

Just like Llamas, poop, gratuitous JPEG's and LOL's also have a place here, when used in moderation. Do we need to debate World Peace with every post? (If you try and do that, please do it in the War Lounge! )

Perhaps we should start a base 'clan' of members dedicated to bringing this place back. Maybe we could organize some sort of standards that we'd adhere to, kinda like being a hall monitor. You don't really have any more power than the rest of the students, but you'd be a figurehead/role model for everyone else. As for the standards, maybe something like

2. ???
3. ???

Thoughts?
There could be some room for some quasi-mods here, but they would have to be chosen carefully. Just because someone has been here for a while and has seen the Former Glory of the Lounge doesn't necessarily mean they can herd cats well enough to do the job effectively. It is also very difficulty to come up with standards that actually work all the time. What if a poster is simply succinct enough to express a coherent thought in one line? Should he add some nonsense to bring the word count up?

There are standards that do work, and I'm thinking specifically of the rule against Posting-and-Running in the PL. I think if a poster thinks a topic worthy of discussion, they must have an opinion on it, and sharing that opinion would facilitate discussion, even (and especially) if subsequent posters disagree. (People around here seem to have lost the ability to disagree gracefully, but this post is too long already and I need to go to work....)

vintage
Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 09:22 AM

That's just it. They wouldn't be chosen by anyone. Anybody could be part of this pact, they'd just have to agree to the rules, and follow them. They'd always try to increase the quality of the forums with every post, or something along those lines. If they weren't doing that, their status would be revoked. Maybe we could photoshop a special pair of stars for anyone who wanted to take part in this idea... not sure how that'd integrate with the forum software, but it's an idea.

The problem with mods is that they're chosen by other mods. As far as I know, we've never had a democracy here, nor have the posters ever had any power in choosing who was going to lead them. Also, they're never accountable. If they do mess up, nothing ever EVER happens. Kevin was obviously upset and felt wronged... I don't know what happened, but maybe he was? If you were wronged, would you just take it? Is that what you've come to expect? Just to be screwed over by everyone else constantly? Or would you prefer to argue your case? I think if we had a moderation/banning process similar to the justice system, instead of a set of rules that are rarely and selectively enforced, it'd be a lot better around here. Also, the jury could be elected. People could volunteer to vote on a case. It'd be kinda fun, also.

Also, no banninations forever. Bans 'forever' are a bad idea, they only ENCOURAGE ban evasion, because there is no other option. What if there were a 'reinstatement fee', or perhaps a $5.00 donation to get a retrial? Or perhaps they'd be assigned to community service, like being the lounge photoshop whore for a few days. If they completed some ridiculous and amusing task (to the rest of us) they'd be let back in, embarassed by it, and probably not do it again.

It's the whole nazi like "you can never disagree with us or question us and we are never wrong and if we ban you we ban you FOREEEEVVVEEERRRRRRRR" type mentality that is only making things worse around here. My ideas would create a happier population, while providing entertainment AND generating revenue.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 09:23 AM

Democracy in a privately run forum... yeah, not bloody likely.

vintage
Baninated
Jan 8, 2008, 09:43 AM

It wouldn't be a complete democracy, as mods would be required to remove spammers, take people to 'court', help enforce rules, make sure people finish their sentences, etc. The more I think about this idea the more I think it would really work. People who feel unfairly treated would at least have a chance to defend themselves against people who just report infractions to pick fights, and people would finally be treated more equally. It would be entertaining, especially with funny/random punishment sentences. Plus it'd make money.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 12:35 PM

2. ???
3. ???

Thoughts?
3. Profit

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 12:55 PM

There have been some damn good points brought up in here. I think that anyone intentionally giving someone crap around here by personally insulting them should just be ignored. Not necessarily by putting them on an ignore list, but by not (if I can use a cliche) feeding the trolls. Perhaps eventually, they'll leave (or change their ways).

Maybe this is all obvious, but I think after watching this place decline for a while, it's time we took it back from the people causing the most trouble.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 12:58 PM

This is beginning to sound like a War on MacNN Terror. "If you change how you post, then they've won!"

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 01:33 PM

We need a catchy visual for that.
And a pageant with a catchy song.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 01:35 PM

Goddammit, I'd make a graphic but i actually have work to do for a change.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Goddammit, I'd make a graphic but i actually have work to do for a change.
Yeah, me too... ah, you're a Senior now. Make sure you get the Silver Centrums. cheers.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 01:45 PM

Troll!!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 03:36 PM

2. ???
3. ???

Thoughts?
Good luck with that.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

boots
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:40 PM

Ok. That made me laugh. Out loud, even.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules