Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I make a bootable backup of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard?

How do I make a bootable backup of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2007, 02:22 AM

How do I make a bootable backup of Leopard?

I'm asking because SuperDuper! doesn't support Leopard.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 02:28 AM

Disk Utility is the easiest way.
Vandelay Industries

posthumanus
Senior User
Nov 1, 2007, 03:19 AM

Elberto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 03:38 AM

Carbon copy cloner supports leopard.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2007, 10:01 AM

Thanks. I'll check out CCC again.

As for Disk Utility, maybe I'm an idiot I always get confused with it, but I'll look again.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
As for Disk Utility, maybe I'm an idiot I always get confused with it, but I'll look again.
Help is your friend. It has instructions for cloning and imaging drives. Basically, it's the Restore tab that you want.
Vandelay Industries

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2007, 07:05 PM

Hmmm... I tried Carbon Copy Cloner, but I must have made a mistake in the settings, because the drive is not bootable. (It certainly looks a lot nicer than it used to though.)

Now I'm trying Disk Utility. It's a lot more utilitarian, but if it works, I won't complain.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Disk Utility is the easiest way.
I had no problem with Disk Utility.app as well.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2007, 08:34 PM

Hmmm... This is very weird. I tried Disk Utility too, and no worky. This cloned Leopard install on this Firewire drive doesn't work as a primary boot drive.

In Leopard (on my Cube) my cloned Firewire drive doesn't even get seen as a real Startup Disk in the System Prefs (even though it gets seen fine as a data drive in the Finder).

I tried changing the name of the backup Firewire drive so that it had a different name from the internal drive, but still no worky. It's still invisible to the Startup Disk option in the System Preferences.

In Tiger (on my iBook), the cloned Firewire drive gets seen as a real Startup Disk in the System Prefs, but doesn't actually work as one. Even if I select it in the Prefs, at bootup it goes back to the internal drive and bypasses the Firewire drive.

If I hold down option at bootup (on both the Tiger iBook and the Leopard Cube), only the internal drive gets seen. The Firewire drive is completely ignored.

Next, I'll try a different drive (as this one is a Firewire powered external laptop drive), but I suspect that won't work either. This drive worked before with other cloned OS installs for Firewire booting.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 4, 2007 at 08:51 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2007, 10:48 PM

Holy crap.

The reason this clone of my Leopard Cube didn't work my G4 Macs is because the drive I made the clone to had been previously formatted with a GUID Partition Table. However, I tried this clone on an Intel Mac. My MacBook booted completely normally with this PowerPC Mac clone. Cool! I didn't think this would work, but it does.

While this is interesting, what would be even more interesting would be to clone an Intel Mac onto a drive for use with a G4 Mac. Theoretically this should also work if you choose the Apple Partition Table for the drive, but I haven't yet tried this.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 4, 2007 at 11:24 PM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 10:53 PM

Yes, with Leopard you can boot any supported Mac with a single APM volume. The install DVD is an APM volume.

Good catch on noticing the partition type and solving your problem.
Vandelay Industries

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2007, 11:24 PM

Interesting. However, installing on an Intel Mac would install only a GPT version right? So that means that even if you cloned it to a drive with an Apple Partition Table, it would be useless on PowerPC Macs?

However, are you saying that any Apple Partion Map drive will work on an Intel Mac now? Is this because Leopard includes everything for both PowerPC and x86?

ie. Intel Macs don't even need the GUID Partition Table anymore?

EDIT:

Yes in Leopard, Intel Macs do fine with both GPT and APM. ie. A PowerPC Mac Leopard install will boot both Intel and PPC Macs.

However, PowerPC Macs still can only boot off APM drives.

I wonder if one could take an Intel Mac Leopard install and stick it on an APM drive to boot a PPC Mac. This would be the perfect solution for installing Leopard onto an older and unsupported G4 Mac if the only other Mac at your disposal is an Intel Mac.
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 5, 2007 at 01:45 AM. )

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 01:49 AM

Yeah, you have to finagle an Intel Mac install onto an APM drive. The installer won't let you install onto APM but you can clone it to an APM drive from a GPT drive. Leopard is truly a Universal OS. A single install will run natively on PowerPC 32-bit, PowerPC 64-bit, Intel 32-bit, and Intel 64-bit.
Vandelay Industries

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 5, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I wonder if one could take an Intel Mac Leopard install and stick it on an APM drive to boot a PPC Mac. This would be the perfect solution for installing Leopard onto an older and unsupported G4 Mac if the only other Mac at your disposal is an Intel Mac.
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Yeah, you have to finagle an Intel Mac install onto an APM drive. The installer won't let you install onto APM but you can clone it to an APM drive from a GPT drive. Leopard is truly a Universal OS. A single install will run natively on PowerPC 32-bit, PowerPC 64-bit, Intel 32-bit, and Intel 64-bit.
Yup. I just tried it, and it works. You can indeed make a bootable Firewire install of Leopard using only an Intel Mac.

tadzooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2007, 04:27 AM

backing up the Leopard DVD with Carbon Copy, Toast 8 or Disk Utility does not work for me.. I wish someone would just simply tell how to do it. I have a store bought legal Leopard DVD. I simply want to make a backup. Why? because I for one am terrible with keep DVD's and cd's scratch free. I personally would love to protect my $130.00 investment. So having that said and out of the way, can anyone please tell me and the rest of us how to "successfully" make a working/bootable backup of the Leopard 10.5 DVD? I have tried every single method mentioned here and nothing will work. I have spent almost $50.00 on blank DVD-DLs and I personally am tired of making expensive coasters.. Please can anyone help and be truthful about successfully making a backup DVD??

Lavode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 04:59 PM

Hi,

I bought my MacBook in October, so I got one of those Upgrade DVDs. I tried creating a new image from the DVD, using the CD/DVD Master format. Once the image was saved to the Hard drive, I selected it in Disk Utility, and clicked Burn. I inserted a Dual Layer Memorex DVD+R and it did its thing. Once it was finished, I inserted the ew copy. Strangely, its icon was a folder, but Get Info revealed it as a Mac volume, and Startup Disk recognized it to be selected as a startup disk.

Unconvinced, I shut the MacBook down, then powered up, inserting the copy and holding down the C key. After a minute or two, the computer booted, and was running the Leopard Installer as the boot disk.

I'm not sure if I did anything special here, but it appears to have worked. I haven't tried actually installing an OS from it, but may have an opportunity to try.

YMMV,
Lavode

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 06:10 PM

The cool thing about those CPU Drop-In upgrade DVDs is that if you have more than one internal hard disk (I guess it's the same for external ones) and one of those hard disk has10.4.x installed, you can install 10.5 into another hard disk which could easily be OS free (empty)… maybe this is widely known but 'upgrade' seems to deny the possibility for a clean install which is not always the scenario.

pvonk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2007, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I had no problem with Disk Utility.app as well.
Strange, I did the disk copy using the restore tab - took several hours to copy, but the resulting disk was unable to boot the MBP. Oh, it had what appeared to be all the files, but still no boot.
- Pierre
--------------------
PB G4 1.33 GHz, 1 GB ram, OSX 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules