Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buy a MBP now or wait?

Buy a MBP now or wait? (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2006, 09:44 AM
 
Surferboy even Conroe came a bit earlier! There might be a chance, that maybe Merom will be brought out earlier...i'm waiting for that darn Merom chip, too, Mate
     
surferboy
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jul 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
 
Ah, Screwball- that's the stuff I like to hear. Let's keep 'em coming....
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2006, 04:03 PM
 
Selective hearing?
     
dillerX
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Pit Slab #35
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 19, 2006, 10:37 PM
 
Just bought mine. 15 2.0

Rocks.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.
     
skucera
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 21, 2006, 12:08 AM
 
Apple will have to update at least the processors to the Merom at WWDC, even if they don't update the cases, just to maintain parity with the other manufacturers utilizing Intel processors. Apple likes to be cutting edge, and now that they aren't the only company using their type of processor, they have to keep up with the Joneses. It's almost back to the good old days of liscensing the OS.
( Last edited by skucera; Jul 26, 2006 at 11:13 PM. )
     
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Truckee, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 24, 2006, 12:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by graphics84
the VRAM debate is interesting but if your a graphics user does it really matter? From my understanding Photoshop doesn't even use the video cards at all... so the MacBook and MBP are pretty comparable in power if not in price for a graphics user...
True, today the GPU means little to Photoshop. So for laptop Photoshop today best is to buy a PB G4, not a MacBook, because a PB G4 runs PS natively rather than under Rosetta. However for the future many graphics apps and certainly the OS will substantially be utilizing the powerful GPUs Apple is putting in all higher end configurations. The graphics future is largely defined as Q2 2007 when PSCS3 comes out.

Note too that the smaller screen real estate and lower pixel count for only 6 ounces of weight savings makes the MB a relatively much less good graphics laptop. You get what you pay for.

-Allen Wicks
     
graphics84
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: san diego
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2006, 05:21 AM
 
So I bit the bullet:


( 1 ) $1,949.00
Factory Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB internal drive, internal SuperDrive, Full-size backlit keyboard, AirPort Extreme wireless networking (802.11b/g), Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, ExpressCard/34 slot, dual-link DVI video out, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 2.0, FireWire 400, and optical digital and analog audio in/out, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory, 15.4" TFT display
( 1 ) $159.00 RAM 1GB DDR2-667 SODIMM


Total Freight Charges: 89.00 UPS Next Day Air Saver

-------------------------------------------------------------

Total Cash Quote: $ 2,197.00

it will be here tomorrow.. I also bought it out of Oregon ans didn't have to pay sales tax (which I love, I have purchased about 6 Macs this way from PowerMax and have always been happy paying shipping rather than tax).
     
buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2006, 07:05 AM
 
How does Powermax offer 256 VRAM in their 2.0 Ghz model when Apple does not give this option? Hope you give a small review when you receive it.
     
giggs11
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2006, 03:33 PM
 
With Intel releasing the Core Duo 2 today, I'd say it makes more sense to wait a few weeks at this point. Supposedly CD2 gets better performance and uses less power, generating less heat.
     
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2006, 03:39 PM
 
You guys are brave to buy right now, considering WWDC is less than 2 weeks away.

I could see the MBP upgraded with both Merom and a better GPU, and maybe even a dual-layer DVD burner.


Originally Posted by giggs11
Supposedly CD2 gets better performance and uses less power, generating less heat.
Core 2 Duo has a higher TDP than Core Duo. It's 35 Watts for C2D and 31 Watts for CD.
     
mduell
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 27, 2006, 07:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by buddy1065
How does Powermax offer 256 VRAM in their 2.0 Ghz model when Apple does not give this option? Hope you give a small review when you receive it.
When Apple offered 1.86 and 2.0 as the base models, the 2.0 had 256. After they bumped to 2.0/2.16, only the 2.16 had 256.
Powermax is just clearing old refurb stock.
     
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 29, 2006, 12:53 PM
 
Wait till Sept.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,