Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cannot set new MBP to start automatically

Cannot set new MBP to start automatically
SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 12:25 AM

Under System Preferences/Energy saver I like to set MBPs to "Start up automatically after a power failure." It provides a very useful troubleshooting tool when stuff happens. E.g. my 2006 MBP with OS 10.6.7 has a dead on/off switch and that is the only way I can turn it on.

My 2011 17" MBP8,3 with OS 10.6.7 does not provide the choice to "Start up automatically after a power failure." Does anyone have any idea how to create a workaround?

-Allen Wicks

ibook_steve
Apr 5, 2011, 12:00 PM

I don't understand. That option is meant for desktop machines for when the power goes out. Other than a broken power switch as you mention, why do you need this? You have a battery.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

SierraDragon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I don't understand. That option is meant for desktop machines for when the power goes out. Other than a broken power switch as you mention, why do you need this?
My 2006 C2D MBP laptop has that option. Over the many years of Mac laptops sometimes things have happened that resulted in a dark display and lost switch control. Perhaps the new MBP switch/OS interaction is bombproof and it will never matter, but decades of laptops has conditioned me otherwise.

-Allen

ibook_steve
Apr 5, 2011, 08:20 PM

I still don't understand. If there's a loss of AC power, the machine switches to using the battery. Are you saying this is for after the battery is completely exhausted and the machine shuts down that it will power back on when it sees AC? Seems like a very rare corner case for Apple to continue including such an option on laptops. It makes perfect sense on a desktop machine.

If it were me, I'd just open the case and try to figure out why the switch wasn't working, though obviously not everybody is inclined to perform surgery on their laptop.

Steve

SierraDragon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
If it were me, I'd just open the case and try to figure out why the switch wasn't working, though obviously not everybody is inclined to perform surgery on their laptop.
• In the current case a cup of hot chocolate is why the switch is not working. Nor are the keyboard, FW bus or the optical drive working. But the box works. Opening the case would almost for sure be an expensive can of worms, inappropriate for a 2006 box. It is now replaced with a 2011 17" MBP.

• In older instances the issue was software, not the switch. Opening the box to poke at the hardware would have been irrelevant.

• If "It makes perfect sense on a desktop machine." (and it does), why have it on the 2006 MBP which was not that good a desktop replacement but not have it on this MBP which is built to be a DTR?

-Allen

ibook_steve
Apr 6, 2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
• If "It makes perfect sense on a desktop machine." (and it does), why have it on the 2006 MBP which was not that good a desktop replacement but not have it on this MBP which is built to be a DTR?

-Allen
Perhaps back then, the option was simply left in so there wouldn't be a divergent code base between the desktop and portable machines. Any differences between the two platforms requires additional code build trees that must be maintained, including regression tests to prevent bugs that have been fixed from cropping up again. This option may not have been deemed important enough to remove at the time, so they left it in. Now, with longer life batteries and more testing, the option doesn't make sense on a portable, so Apple was able to get rid of it.

A better option, IMO, would be to use something like SmartSleep (was shareware, now on the App store). It lets you choose how you want the machine to behave when it sleeps as well as when the battery runs out, automatically putting the machine in hibernation when the battery reaches a low level threshold.

I'm sure others can recommend other power-related software that may help in this situation.

Steve

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2011, 04:22 AM

You could try scheduling lots of startups. I'd get a new top case. They turn up on eBay often enough and they aren't much fuss to fit. Less so if you get a new keyboard too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2011, 04:08 PM

Auto restart on the 2006 lame MBP works great. I just wondered if there was an easy way to set the 2011 MBP the same way. Apparently not, but no big deal even though I think it is a very appropriate capability for a DTR box. Where I live we lose power frequently.

eBay for parts is a good idea for the old MBP. Once all my apps are loaded on the new MBP I can open the old box and start cleaning, see what new parts may be needed. It might be just a keyboard, or it may never work again once I open it, we will see. I am very lucky it runs at all, because it literally took a full cup of hot chocolate on to the keyboard.

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2011, 05:52 PM

If the power button is dead, you'll probably need the top case too I'm afraid.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2011, 12:18 AM

On my new MacBook Pro (latest rev., less than a week old) the option to restart on power failure is still there. Maybe as a result of doing a system migration perhaps, and not a fresh install? I'd check with your local Apple Store or call AppleCare.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2011, 05:44 AM

You can set it from terminal:

sudo pmset autorestart 1

SierraDragon  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks!

-Allen

Forum Links
Forum Rules