Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85

Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85 (Page 2)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
In the most recent build, is it possible to specify in Mail whether you're sending attachments to a Mac, Windows, or both (like in Entourage)? Some of my friends get confused with the strange method Mail has of sending double files.
There is an option that says "send Windows friendly attachments" in your open dialog when you go to select an attachment.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2003, 09:13 PM

Does that mean Panther has built in Windows viruses to send?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

gregpins
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
iSync supports syncing with Exchange, Mail has better IMAP Exchange support, Address Book will sync with the Exchange GAL, and Address Book will now authenticate to ADS (meaning you can access the Exchange GAL via LDAP supported apps such as Mail). This is assuming that the Exchange server is setup to allow IMAP connections, and supports LDAP queries via ADS. ADS is a requirement with Exchange 2000, so it might be that these features only work with Exchange 2000 servers.

Does this answer your question?
Yes, thanx for the info. Sounds roughly feature equivalent to Entourage, will give it a try.

Now if only we could sync Blackberries!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2003, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by gregpins:
Yes, thanx for the info. Sounds roughly feature equivalent to Entourage, will give it a try.

Now if only we could sync Blackberries!
The only thing that Entourage will do that Mail won't, AFAIK is calendaring with a single Exchange server environment.

iCal doesn't seem to have Exchange calendaring-type functionality.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 10:37 PM

The only thing that Entourage will do that Mail won't, AFAIK is calendaring with a single Exchange server environment.

iCal doesn't seem to have Exchange calendaring-type functionality.
There's another thing that Mail can't do that Entourage can: allow online access so you can view and delete emails from the mail server without first downloading them to your Inbox.

I have clients that won't use Apple's Mail until this feature is added, even though Mail's junk filter is far superior to Entourage's.

I'm actually surprised that Apple hasn't added this feature. And more options for encoding attachments would be nice.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
There's another thing that Mail can't do that Entourage can: allow online access so you can view and delete emails from the mail server without first downloading them to your Inbox.

I have clients that won't use Apple's Mail until this feature is added, even though Mail's junk filter is far superior to Entourage's.

I'm actually surprised that Apple hasn't added this feature. And more options for encoding attachments would be nice.
I'm glad that Apple doesn't (fully) support old standards like FTP and POP... If they did, it might stagnate progress.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
You can do this if you use an IMAP account.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 11:52 PM

You mean people are still using POP? Get with the times, friends!

Spliff
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Many ISPs still don't offer IMAP. Or they charge extra for it. My cable internet ISP doesn't offer IMAP. The local ADSL provider charges extra for it.

BigYellowMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 01:33 AM

I like POP, thank you very much. I had my own mail server running (and soon will again, once I resurrect this beige g3 and talk it into running jag again with its new HD... It won't boot after successful installs, but that's another story...), and it was a POP server. Of course, there was the option for IMAP, but I just like POP better for some reason. Habit, I guess...

-Biggie!

pmcd
Senior User
Oct 3, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
You can do this if you use an IMAP account.
The problem is that Mail (don't know about the beta one) doesn't work properly with certain IMAP servers (Sun Solstice Internet Mail (SIMS 2.0) for instance where it seems unable to find the InBox (or displays no messages)). There are many posts about this over at Apple's support site. As far as I know there is still no fix. Entourage, netscape, outlook, etc...all work fine. Mail is nice but it still has issues and this is surprising.

philip

dUbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 03:38 AM

any chance this build is going to appear on bittorrent for testing ;-)
less = more

iJed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2003, 03:58 AM

Originally posted by dUbio:
any chance this build is going to appear on bittorrent for testing ;-)
If it is the GM then you should be able to "test" it soon

Just remember to pay for it too.

dUbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2003, 04:04 AM

Ofourse, i would order it today if it was possible!!
less = more

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 07:04 AM

Lots of people still use POP. I much prefer to have all my mail on my computer so that if my ISP isn't available for whatever reason (probably a throwback to having dialup), I can still read any recently new unread messages and reply to them.

Anyway, back OT...
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Aldie G
Oct 3, 2003, 07:05 AM

keep an eye on this URL

http://silter.org

[xeo: lets not let this thread degenerate into blatant piracy]
( Last edited by Xeo; Oct 3, 2003 at 08:58 AM. )

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2003, 08:38 AM

The stupidity of some individuals never ceases to amaze me.

Originally posted by Aldie G:
keep an eye on this URL

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Lots of people still use POP. I much prefer to have all my mail on my computer so that if my ISP isn't available for whatever reason (probably a throwback to having dialup), I can still read any recently new unread messages and reply to them.

Anyway, back OT...
You can do that with Mail using IMAP.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2003, 08:49 AM

`
( Last edited by besson3c; Oct 3, 2003 at 09:19 AM. )

ARENA
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 08:51 AM

And this:

http://mac.snipped.com
Come on guys, don't be stupid.

khufuu
Oct 3, 2003, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by d0ubled0wn:
Yeah, them shadows look FUUUUGLY!
Only a mac user would consider shadows a 'bug'. A stylistic faux-pas maybe but a bug...no.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by khufuu:
Only a mac user would consider shadows a 'bug'. A stylistic faux-pas maybe but a bug...no.
In case you didn't notice, there's something wrong with those shadows. Hence, it really is a bug.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
In case you didn't notice, there's something wrong with those shadows. Hence, it really is a bug.
I don't think it's just "shadows." If you look carefully, there is a raised "plateau" where the words are written. So it looks sort of like a double shadow. It may well be by design.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Oct 3, 2003, 12:31 PM

Look closer and you will see that it is a bug, or glitch if you will.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 12:33 PM

No
Couldn't you create a rule to do this?
Some thing to the effect of "If message is unread make font Lucida Grande Bold"?

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 3, 2003, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Couldn't you create a rule to do this?
Some thing to the effect of "If message is unread make font Lucida Grande Bold"?
Well, that might work, except once you read the e-mail there's nothing to trigger the rule to "unbold" it.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 03:26 PM

I love how difficult many of you attempt to be, with calling blatent bugs things that aren't bugs and even after 9123 sources confirm 7b85 to be GM there's OF COURSE another skeptic that comes on and gives his conspiracy theory behind why it's not and how everyone is dumb.

I want to argue too.

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 3, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
I love how difficult many of you attempt to be, with calling blatent bugs things that aren't bugs and even after 9123 sources confirm 7b85 to be GM there's OF COURSE another skeptic that comes on and gives his conspiracy theory behind why it's not and how everyone is dumb.

I want to argue too.
Okay. If something is not functioning as intended, it is a bug. The shadows do not look as they are intended. Therefore, it's a bug. No one said it was an important bug, but a bug is a bug.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 04:25 PM

Anyone out there running 7B85 with the iSub (the standalone one, not SoundSticks)? If so does panther mute the iSub when headphones are plugged in? That's the most annoying thing about Jag. Also does the iSub continue to work after waking from sleep? Thanks!

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by mchladek:
Anyone out there running 7B85 with the iSub (the standalone one, not SoundSticks)? If so does panther mute the iSub when headphones are plugged in? That's the most annoying thing about Jag. Also does the iSub continue to work after waking from sleep? Thanks!
at least the iSub got a control meter in jag for those not running an iMac

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 05:37 PM

IMAP sucks. Slow, and I don't like always updating to the server. It resource intensive and just screwy sometimes. screw it. POP leave on server is okay. What we really need is a new mail protocal the combines the best of both.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 06:11 PM

And that's precisely why the Mac Operating System has, and probably always will have, a GUI with much better "fit & finish" than its competitors. We demand a certain standard from Apple, and let's face it, 8 or 9 times out of 10, Apple deliver! In the words of Steve Ballmer, "I....LOVE.....THIS.....COMPANY!" (but please don't ask me to jump around like an idiot just to prove it)
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
IMAP sucks. Slow, and I don't like always updating to the server. It resource intensive and just screwy sometimes.
I couldn't disagree more. It's fast, reliable and the best way to read mail (with sub-folders) from any computer. Over the years I've been using IMAP I've upgraded my computer five times and even changed platforms and never had to deal with backing up or restoring my email or have any difficulty changing email clients.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2003, 07:57 PM

I am experiencing this bug in 7b80 (and previous builds):
I discovered what is causing the shadow glitch. Repeated launching of DVD player in full screen mode causes icon shadows on the desktop to become corrupted. Someone care to verify this?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2003, 09:34 PM

I discovered what is causing the shadow glitch. Repeated launching of DVD player in full screen mode causes icon shadows on the desktop to become corrupted. Someone care to verify this?
I've had this problem without even touching my DVD Player

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 09:35 PM

I don't use DVD player. I get this problem occasionally. Clicking an icon makes it go away. There are also problem in shadow handling on text (in textedit, type "zapfino" in 50 point zapfino with a drop shadow , then change the drop shadow settings. You'll probably notice what's wrong). Minor problems, and to be expected with the new shadowing API and all that.

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
...type "zapfino" in 50 point zapfino with a drop shadow , then change the drop shadow settings. You'll probably notice what's wrong). Minor problems, and to be expected with the new shadowing API and all that.
Whoa whoa whoa. Does that mean that you can add real time shadows to any text you want? (As Catfish_Man mentioned above) That's pretty neat. What'd they change in the shadowing API, anyway? Any ideas?

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2003, 10:24 PM

Combating my stupidity from my last post...Other applications could use the system's shadow rendering before (see Can Combine Icons or AquaTint). Kind of interesting that Apple's adding it to TextEdit...between that and Word compatibility, Microsoft had better watch out. Heck, why does Apple even carry AppleWorks still?

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by ckohler:
I couldn't disagree more. It's fast, reliable and the best way to read mail (with sub-folders) from any computer. Over the years I've been using IMAP I've upgraded my computer five times and even changed platforms and never had to deal with backing up or restoring my email or have any difficulty changing email clients.
Trouble I have with IMAP is running out of server space. I've got nearly 200MB of emails (several years worth) stored, and I'd quickly run out of space most ISPs provide. And on .mac, 200MB of mail space would cost a pretty penny.

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Trouble I have with IMAP is running out of server space. I've got nearly 200MB of emails (several years worth) stored, and I'd quickly run out of space most ISPs provide. And on .mac, 200MB of mail space would cost a pretty penny.
I used to use PINE (a unix email client) a lot, and every month it would ask if I wanted to back-up the previous months email in a separate folder. I got a bit spoiled by that, and now I always back up email more than 3 months old on my computer, and delete it from the server. Saves tons of server space. It would also be cool if Apple Mail had an option to automatically back up old mail to a new folder, and either store it locally or on the server... Maybe someone could make a front end for PINE for OS X?

Yeah, all of this is totally OT from the 7B85 discussion, but hey, this is where it lead...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by himself:
I used to use PINE (a unix email client) a lot, and every month it would ask if I wanted to back-up the previous months email in a separate folder. I got a bit spoiled by that, and now I always back up email more than 3 months old on my computer, and delete it from the server. Saves tons of server space. It would also be cool if Apple Mail had an option to automatically back up old mail to a new folder, and either store it locally or on the server... Maybe someone could make a front end for PINE for OS X?

Yeah, all of this is totally OT from the 7B85 discussion, but hey, this is where it lead...
My girlfriend would check her email on her PC using Telnet and PINE. She can still check it through the Terminal. I don't know if that's the same thing that you're talking about, though.

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by himself:
Maybe someone could make a front end for PINE for OS X?
i use pine as much as i do mail. you can get it at osxgnu.org as an installable package. the latest version is 4.56. it runs in the terminal, and as a result doesn't have the aqua feel. though a great IMAP-capable mail viewer. great for archiving sent mail into monthly packages and for when you connect remotely.

adam
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I think you are misunderstanding the concept of IMAP. You don't NEED to store the mail on a server. You just can if you need to. I move any mail that I want to save older than a month to neatly sorted folders on my harddrive.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2003, 03:28 PM

Anyone know what's on each of the three discs?

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by PerfectlyNormalBeast:
Anyone know what's on each of the three discs?
Disc 1 is the OS itself
Disc 2 is the aditional apps (stuffit, etc), languages, and print drivers.
Disc 3 is the Dev tools

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
Disc 1 is the OS itself
Disc 2 is the aditional apps (stuffit, etc), languages, and print drivers.
Disc 3 is the Dev tools

cs
No.

Disc 1 is the OS itself
Disc 2 is, as you said, additional applications, languages, printer drivers, speech voices, fonts, etc.
Disc 3 is X11, more fonts, more printer drivers, and the Common Access Card (secure authentication) implementation
Disc 4 is Xcode (Developer Tools)

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
I think you are misunderstanding the concept of IMAP. You don't NEED to store the mail on a server. You just can if you need to. I move any mail that I want to save older than a month to neatly sorted folders on my harddrive.
That's a simple concept many using IMAP have difficulty grasping. I recently moved 100 users from POP to IMAP at work, a good decision, but a tough implementation. Now the users folders on the email server are at about 6GB.

Back OT : As a select ADC member, am I provided with a GM copy of Panther? This is my first year with ADC.

BadaBing!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2003, 04:04 PM

i am a student adc member, is it true i get a free version of panther in my developer mailing?

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2003, 04:30 PM

FYI: 7B85 is allowing people to upgrade from 7B80 and 7B74. The WWDC build clearly stated that upgrading from beta builds to final would not be permitted and a clean install would be required. To me, this suggests that 7B85 isn't GM.
jesse ;-)

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 04:54 PM

there are quite a few visual bugs and other bugs that ive found, s i wouldnt be too surprised if this was not the GM.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules