Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85

Mac OS X 10.3 (Codenamed: Panther) Build 7B85 (Page 9)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Me�vv:
It seems puzzling that some people seem to have different set of icons than others... Are there different 7B85 floating around...?
No, that was only Justin (tikki). He just can't see right, and the screenshot he himself posted proved that.

-s*

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
I don't think the images are old or even "simply modified". Like Spatztik said they are just high resolution mockups that were made for print. They're not screenshots at all. Lots of the screenshots' fonts are obviously faked and in this photo:

If I remember correctly, the PR shot's widgets were in one of the builds, cause they looked odd compared to the previous ones.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 01:27 PM

Are there different 7B85 floating around...?
Oh for the love of God.

There are most certainly NOT different builds of 7B85. There is ONE build of 7B85, and ONE only.

And as for your "future compatible" statement: why don't you actually BUY Panther, instead of smilingly bragging about pirating it and wanting to make sure you've got the "right" build?

Hash
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 01:39 PM

I guess that dev builds of panther are valid only until December, 2003 or something like that. Perhaps, they are not SU updateable after Panther release?

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 02:26 PM

Two words: Future Compatible.

Three words: Don't pirate software.

Who cares if 7B85 is the final or not? I wouldn't use it unless you obtained it from an official channel or bought it. The version you get by buying it in the store will be "Future Compatible"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
I guess that dev builds of panther are valid only until December, 2003 or something like that.
Yes, you are guessing that.

I haven't heard anything that makes this seem likely, and I somehow doubt that you have.

-s*

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
If what you say is true she is most likely on the 7Cxx builds (10.3.1?)
Oh yeah I have not thought about that... But still the snap to grid thing is a real pain in the neck.

One other thing I need to know, when you guys install it for the first time. Do you at all get a welcome movie? Music and all? I have hear and even seen some on the web, but when I installed it, nothing happened... No welcome film... They usually appear during set up...

Also again, when you install it, do you install it as an upgrade or an entirely new system, or just erase and install?

�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2003, 05:19 PM

These photos are made for the MacOS X 10.3 manual you get when you buy the OS. I just saw her project book, some of the examples were in there, like these photos. Where did you get these photos in such great rez?

The same photo whit the girl etc, are in the book. So I guess these were made by the graphics department who is responsible for the PR as well as the manuals for their software... Or so I gather, I cannot be certain till she gets back but from what was left on her desk, it looks a lot like it.

I can't wait till she gets back, she is picking up a PowerBook for me and I hope with Panther installed...

Hope this clears up a few things...

I'd take a few snap shots of the OS X 10.3 guide book but there are some notes on it I don't think is meant to the general public.

But what ever version it will be, we'll know in two weeks or so...

Oh and:

(Is platinum blue back? heh)

Shrink them down and you have your "outdated screenshots". [/B][/QUOTE]
saw the vision of the

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 05:29 PM

Why can't they make the GUI as nice and sharp as those Photoshop jobs?

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
I guess that dev builds of panther are valid only until December, 2003 or something like that. Perhaps, they are not SU updateable after Panther release?
As usual, you couldn't be more wrong.

First of all, what do you mean by "dev builds"?

Secondly, 7B85, of which there is only one, no matter where it came from, will be perfectly updateable via Software Update, forever, since it is exactly the same as what will be in boxes on the 24th.

"Or something like that."

Of course, everyone will be purchasing legitimate copies of Mac OS X 10.3, so it shouldn't be an issue regardless, correct?

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Why can't they make the GUI as nice and sharp as those Photoshop jobs?
Because the gui isn't 400dpi.

The gui of Mac OS X is as sharp as it can be, given the constraints of screen resolution.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Oh for the love of God.

There are most certainly NOT different builds of 7B85. There is ONE build of 7B85, and ONE only.

And as for your "future compatible" statement: why don't you actually BUY Panther, instead of smilingly bragging about pirating it and wanting to make sure you've got the "right" build?
Piracy, you sem to have a lot of knowledge but don't assume that everyone but yourself is software thieves. I am going to BYU Panther just as I bought Jag even though I could have got them from various sources including my work. Like many others I am not an ADC member and I am not installing 7B85 on my system. We still have the right to participate in this thread and to express concerns. I did briefly try out a previous build (I think it was 7BB44 that my ADC member friend had). But since I am actually going to pay for my 10.3 CD:s I did not in my mind do anything immoral. But I would certainly not "smilingly brag" about it. Who cares about people "illegally" trying out beta builds of a future OS? But installation of an illegal GM is in fact software piracy. That fact as such makes it an important issue and deserves to be discussed.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 03:01 AM

Because the gui isn't 400dpi.

The gui of Mac OS X is as sharp as it can be, given the constraints of screen resolution.
It would actually be pretty neat if the Zoom feature of future versions of Mac OS X had some kind of high-quality scaling that showed the detail and clearness that some of the Apple "mockups" possessed. The quality is pretty decent during the first few levels of scaling, but on the closer up ones it could stand to be better.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2003, 03:24 AM

what are the chances that the 7B85 build is updateable?

What I am thinking is that is depends on if this is the final version or not.

Which no one really knows at this point

And this build is 3 cd's?

Are all needed for the install?
Force

Lyra
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 07:13 AM

Oh for the love of God.

Wow, some one is wearing small shoes today huh?

What are people like you doing on forums like this? I mean if you can't stand the heat, GET OUT!

Let ADC members talk about it and let us know how the new builds are so we the "the can't wait to BUY IT" crown can have something to look forward to...

Why in the world do you take it so personally? Unless you are Steve Jobs, you really should relax, as you don't won anything Apple. Other then the machine you bought.

My girlfriend works for Apple, so when she has a new build, I have a new build. Does that make me a criminal? I don't think so, and if you do, then you are an idiot. She has a Dual G5, where she works on serious stuff, a small PowerBook where she also works with important stuff... The only Mac we have to use as a guinea-pig, is the iMac 800.

I am not sacrificing her work over mine. As I have everything on Back up. Besides, I am giving my iMac to my mom, so I will buy a G5 1.8. Why not a Dual you ask? Well, it still costs money to buy one and I just got a PowerBook... So why over do it?

You better except that there are people out there who live different lives then you could obviously imagine.

Take a pill and watch Enterprise...

<-You now...

<- You should look more like this...
saw the vision of the

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2003, 07:56 AM

Who cares about people "illegally" trying out beta builds of a future OS? But installation of an illegal GM is in fact software piracy.
Um, so is illegally installing developer releases.

But hey.

-s*

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Um, so is illegally installing developer releases.

But hey.

-s*
Yeah yeah yeah... But even hell has different levels.
What I talk about is stealing sales from Apple. People installing pirated 10.3 GM will probably often do so instad of byuing Panther.

People trying out a future-useless experimental 7B21 will probably not reduce sales.

Unless someone decides that they like 7B21 so much that they will never buy an Apple system CD again.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 12:43 PM

Unless someone decides that they like 7B21 so much that they will never buy an Apple system CD again.
Hey! That's 7b74! And I'll keep setting my clock back to use it forever! Bwahahahah!

Or at least that's what Spaztik would.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 13, 2003, 01:16 PM

Am I missing something? Wasn't there supposed to be a setting somewhere to set ALL directories to the same size Finder window and the same view?

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Am I missing something? Wasn't there supposed to be a setting somewhere to set ALL directories to the same size Finder window and the same view?
There are preferences to set up the default view (in View Options), but there's no way to globally remove all custom view settings and force everything to these defaults (AFAIK).

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
There are preferences to set up the default view (in View Options), but there's no way to globally remove all custom view settings and force everything to these defaults (AFAIK).
There used to be apple scripts that did this under OS 8-9, didn't there?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:
Wouldn't you just have to search all local volumes for ".DS_Store" files and delete them all? AFAIK, the Finder stores window view info in these files, no?

-s*

booboo
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 08:24 PM

Why do people throw hissy fits over small issues like 'illegal' dev builds, installed by eager beavers who probably do more to evangelize Apple than Apple's own marketing teams could ever muster?

The U.S. government (like mine) pays little attention to International Law, the result of which is usually life loss for tens of thousands each year. . . throw a fit over that, but gimme a break.

Get some perspective, guys . . .

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Lyra:

Let ADC members talk about it and let us know how the new builds are so we the "the can't wait to BUY IT" crown can have something to look forward to...
The problem with this is that 7B85 was not released to ADC members, so anyone who has installed it and talking about it shouldn't be using it (legally).

vision619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 09:13 PM

I would think that we are all here (MacNN forums) at one point or another for one of two reasons, to ask questions or to answer them. I would think that most of these questions are going to be of technical origin.

So when did these forums become a discussion of ones moral values? And when did one member retain the right to judge another based on the source of his or her version of 10.3? As far as I'm concerned, the more people using it (regardless of where they got it) before I install it on my machine, the better. These people are testing it and giving me extremely valuable information as a result of them using it.

For those of you who buy your software, you buy it for your own reasons ... right? I mean you don't buy it just so you can come here and say "I buy my software" do you?

So give these guys a break if they want to "pirate" software ... who cares!! (besides Apple of coarse). In reality, not only is it not hurting us, the info there supplying is helping us.

And one more thing.
If some kid in the poor side of town has a Mac and gets a "pirated" copy of Final Cut Pro and makes an incredible movie where he then goes on to become a prominent filmmaker (using licensed software by now) and betters my life with entertainment of a grand scale with work he would have otherwise never had the opportunity to do, then I say good for him. He hasn't hurt anyone and Apple eventually gets their money.

Now the giants with all of the money and none of the talent, cannot stop the little guy with all of the talent and none of the money.

It will all work out in the end.
Can't we all just get along?

BTW, for those of you wondering, yes I do in fact by all of my software. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't pirate something and try it out before I bought it.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2003, 09:56 PM

And in 10 days, all of the talk that is supposedly unethical and immoral will be legal in all walks of life. This doesn't change the fact that that no one besides apple knows what build will be showing up at our doorsteps. We know that at least 50% of the people on this forum pirate software, but as long as the software is released that makes it ok somehow? I can't even begin to imagine the number of questions I've read about Maya, and other high end programs. You wan't me to believe that every person that asked a question actually owned the product? I Don't think so.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Jim_MDP
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by cSurfr:
And in 10 days, all of the talk that is supposedly unethical and immoral will be legal in all walks of life. This doesn't change the fact that that no one besides apple knows what build will be showing up at our doorsteps. We know that at least 50% of the people on this forum pirate software, but as long as the software is released that makes it ok somehow? I can't even begin to imagine the number of questions I've read about Maya, and other high end programs. You wan't me to believe that every person that asked a question actually owned the product? I Don't think so.
I'm sure there was a point in there somewhere.

Damned if I can find it

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 02:54 AM

this thread has gone to non-productive , just a bunch of bashing.

Its amazing how the software forums at macnn are so different from the powerbook and desktop forums.

It seems everyone here is out to prove they are the smartest and the most up-to-date.

In the hardware forums people are more focused on helping.

I guess there is a place for everyone
( Last edited by forcelite; Oct 14, 2003 at 04:49 AM. )
Force

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2003, 08:07 AM

What is this 10.3 Panther 7B85 build you guys speak of? I don't get it.

<sarcasm>
( Last edited by gorickey; Oct 15, 2003 at 08:41 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
What is this 10.3 Panther 7B85 build you guys speak of? I don't get it.

Don't worry about it.

It'll be in the box when you buy 10.3.

-s*

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2003, 06:42 PM

Anyone having problems with Safari? It worked fine last night, and IE works fine, as does the Software Update, but Safari just refuses to load a page. I get "Contacting <insert URL here>" and it just sits. No errors, nothing.

EDIT: Added a user, switched to that account, it works fine.

Mike
( Last edited by starman; Oct 16, 2003 at 07:00 PM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 08:20 PM

I just noticed this little gem... hold down cmd-tab to bring up the list of apps and you can select the app icons with the mouse.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by forcelite:
this thread has gone to non-productive , just a bunch of bashing.
Actually, this happened last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

Welcome to "Is it the GM or not?"

Starring Michael Palin as random forum poster, and John Cleese as piracy.

<british accent on>

"I'd like to have an argument, please"

"All right, would you like the 'Mac OS X GM argument,' for �1, or would you like the 'Is it legal to pirate prerelease builds of Mac OS X or not argument, for �8?"

"I'll take the 'Mac OS X GM argument.'"

"Thank you. Just step through that door."

<customer steps through door>

"I'm concerned about whether 4K78/5G64/6C115/7B85 is REALLY the GM."

"It is... trust me."

"It can't be... it has <insert showstopper-du-jour here> bug in it. What about 4K83/5G68/6C115b/7Cxx?"

"4K78/5G64/6C115/7B85 really IS the GM."

"No, it isn't"

"Yes, it is. And even if it wasn't, you shouldn't care that much , because you ARE going to buy it, right? RIGHT?"

"No, it's not"

"Yes, it is, PIRATE!"

"No, it's not. And I'm not a pirate."

"Yes, it is, and yes you are"

"Hey, wait a minute, I only paid �1, you know"

"Sorry. Ahem. 4K78/5G64/6C115/7B85 is GM."

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is."

DING!

"Time's up! Good morning!"

<british accent off>

So you see, history does repeat itself, and people on MacNN don't learn from their mistakes, and yes, the same thing will happen all over again next year with Mac OS X 10.4 <insert big cat name here>.
( Last edited by Person Man; Oct 18, 2003 at 10:11 AM. )

carmine
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 06:56 PM

Anyoen got any cd labels for this bad boy? Dont flame me please!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2003, 10:08 AM

You can get labels when you get the boxed version

oranjdisc
Senior User
Oct 18, 2003, 11:33 AM

Has anyone else had issues burning multi-part dmgs with Disk Utility? Every time I select the root dmg of a set, Disk Utility crashes. I also tried it in Toast, and it crashes too. Disk Utility can create new images and do other things just fine, but multi-part dmgs send it down the drain. I trashed the plist and it still didn't work. HELP!

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by carmine:
Um, CD lablels? WTF?

1. F*cking BUY Mac OS X.

or

2. Use a marker.

Jesus, wtf is this, warez kiddie central?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by oranjdisc:
Has anyone else had issues burning multi-part dmgs with Disk Utility? Every time I select the root dmg of a set, Disk Utility crashes. I also tried it in Toast, and it crashes too. Disk Utility can create new images and do other things just fine, but multi-part dmgs send it down the drain. I trashed the plist and it still didn't work. HELP!
I could not burn the 7B85 images with 7B74. i had to boot to Jag and do it. DU crashed every time I selected the image to burn. 7B85 doesn't have this problem.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 08:48 AM

What about sftp in the Finder?

ThinkSecret writes that sftp works in the Finder - through "connect with server..."

Is this true and how does it work?
Just typing sftp://<ip-number> and it will connect? What about private-public keys?
And is it read only like ftp?

Sorry, can't wait until Friday

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 10:13 AM

Hi!

As the "7B85 is not GM" rants seem to be dying slowly, I'd like to pour some oil into the fire: German magazine "c't" has an article about Panther and it has a screenshot showing Disk Utility with an image labeled "7B89.dmg"...

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!

As the "7B85 is not GM" rants seem to be dying slowly, I'd like to pour some oil into the fire: German magazine "c't" has an article about Panther and it has a screenshot showing Disk Utility with an image labeled "7B89.dmg"...
I think this is a cruel joke that the author of that article made. Panther comes on 3 CDs, so the disk image would have an name with the CD number in it.

But there is the possibility, that the disk image on the screenshot is a hint on the build number of the final version of Panther.

We will know it in a few days.

TC
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Taipan:
Hi!

So where is the screenshot to show us?
If you have the magazine scan it.
Nothing to see, move along.

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 11:59 AM

Here is a quick scan of the picture:

---

But i really don't think that this image has something to say.

PS: this picture will only be online for about a few hours.

PPS: no picture anymore
( Last edited by Zadian; Oct 22, 2003 at 04:04 AM. )

mamamia
Oct 21, 2003, 12:23 PM

What the hell are you doing asking people not to flame you here?! This is the most flame worthy post i've practically ever seen. If you want to pirate, fine. But don't come in here and ask people to facilate your piracy endeavers then meekly request that they not flame you. Post like this deserve a good flame or three.
funky bitch

vision619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by mamamia:
What the hell are you doing asking people not to flame you here?! This is the most flame worthy post i've practically ever seen. If you want to pirate, fine. But don't come in here and ask people to facilate your piracy endeavers then meekly request that they not flame you. Post like this deserve a good flame or three.
This may be a stupid question and don't get me wrong Mama, I agree with most of what you said, but what does CD Labels have to do with stealing software? I have an idea but would like to know for sure.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2003, 02:22 PM

LOL
why? so you can stick unimpressive cd labels on and pretend you bought it?
we don't have time to stop for gas

vision619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 03:00 PM

Ah...
I thought the labels were to put on CD's so individuals could sell them.

TC
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by Zadian:
But i really don't think that this image has something to say.

PS: this picture will only be online for about a few hours.
Thanks for posting it.
Think that shows it is just a .dmg they did for the screenshot.
Nothing to see, move along.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 09:47 PM

For those who wouldn't believe it until the retail box shipped, here's one of the first users globally to receive a Mac OS X 10.3 retail box:

http://homepage.mac.com/trilby/PhotoAlbum11.html

Panther Arrives

It's here and before I install it I photo'd the packaging. Build on CD is 7B85!
For the fourth time, MacNN Forums, you're welcome.

Moose
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 09:49 PM

For the fourth time, MacNN Forums, you're welcome.
Ladies and Gentlemen, Nick Burns!

Forum Links
Forum Rules