Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption (Page 3)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2011, 10:27 PM

The first time I got bit by a rattlesnake, I had no idea what happened. I nearly freaked, especially since I had my headphone volume cranked.

Greatest atmosphere out of any sandbox game I've ever played.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 28, 2011, 11:36 AM

I was pretty proud when I spotted a snake the first couple times I skinned an animal.

I'm down to my Rank 10 Sharpshooter challenge: Disarm any 6 enemies without reloading or changing weapons. Not looking forward to that. I also have an open challenge for the US Army outfit which is nigh impossible – clear out a Blackwater Poker game. The AI is horrific for this task. All my gambling losses have been at the poker table.

Went online again yesterday, and I repeat, there is no way 3rd person games will ever be very popular with all the control issues. At one point I spent 15 seconds running into the walls on each side of a door because the [expletive deleted] momentum system prevents you from just executing a simple walking turn like every human being is capable of. Also, we love to complain about the 12 year-old aimbots in Halo, but is even worse in RDR somehow. Just guys one-shotting me left and right. In the beginning duels half the time I could barely get my gun out before I'd get dropped to the ground.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I was pretty proud when I spotted a snake the first couple times I skinned an animal.

I'm down to my Rank 10 Sharpshooter challenge: Disarm any 6 enemies without reloading or changing weapons. Not looking forward to that. I also have an open challenge for the US Army outfit which is nigh impossible – clear out a Blackwater Poker game. The AI is horrific for this task. All my gambling losses have been at the poker table.

Went online again yesterday, and I repeat, there is no way 3rd person games will ever be very popular with all the control issues. At one point I spent 15 seconds running into the walls on each side of a door because the [expletive deleted] momentum system prevents you from just executing a simple walking turn like every human being is capable of. Also, we love to complain about the 12 year-old aimbots in Halo, but is even worse in RDR somehow. Just guys one-shotting me left and right. In the beginning duels half the time I could barely get my gun out before I'd get dropped to the ground.
The key to the one shot is when you lock on, move up a bit. You can head shot all day once you get the timing. Especially with a rifle or a high powered pistol at the right range.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2011, 06:52 AM

I'm shit at horseshoes.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
2 little side missions (I guess) where a guy is being chased by coyotes, I didn't kill the coyotes in time (also happened last night with a woman running away), another side mission event type thing is a guy rides up to you about his mate being hanged, well I didn't kill the badguys in time to stop the hanging.
Don't concentrate on the badguys - shoot the rope!
(I already had this situation twice and never managed to shoot the rope in time though)
I don't know if its a glitch, but you have to convince a Rose to go back to her husband to get info from him. It says either threaten or hogtie her. Well I couldn't figure out how to do either. Tried using a knife, fists, rifle and pistol (have a guess what happened when the pistol or rifle were drawn). DO I have to buy a rope to have the ability to hogtie someone?
I think it would have been best to give the guy 5$ - I pointed my gun at her and did actually convince her that way but I think you know what happened...

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
I had one at night where a man was being chased by 3 guys with guns and screaming for help. My natural reaction of course was to blast the guys chasing him only to find out they were law men. Up goes my wanted level, LOL!
The same happened to me as well

Just got done in by a mountain lion. I was on my horse and a mountain lion attacked me and killed the horse. Then another came and attacked me and I shot it and then skinned it. Then just as I was walking over to a skunk that I had shot, another mountain lion jumped on me and this time he killed me.

Think that I may do a bit less travelling at night.
And here the same happened to me again - except that I survived the three Pumas (but I also have to admit that I have "Pussy-Mode" ON for shooting - I hate aiming in 3rd person shooters)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
The key to the one shot is when you lock on, move up a bit. You can head shot all day once you get the timing. Especially with a rifle or a high powered pistol at the right range.
These people are doing it instantaneously to me. It's not like GTA IV where you could just hold up on the joystick. Here it'll actually pull off auto-aim if you do that.

I'm shit at horseshoes.
I only played two games, but what I didn't manage to figure out in that time is why the throws went an inconsistent distance on what seemed like the same release area on the meter.

Also, are you ever on? Was surprised not to see you this weekend.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
Don't concentrate on the badguys - shoot the rope!
(I already had this situation twice and never managed to shoot the rope in time though)
It gets tricky. I tried sniping from far out the second time this happened, but when the horse dropped the woman the rope was bouncing all sorts of ways and impossible to get a bead on.

The same happened to me as well
I think the trick is you have to kill them from behind with Dead Eye. Seeing you kill their brethren is what gives you the Bounty.

---

One of my challenges involved skinning animals and I swear this game decided the best way to crank the difficulty was to have random shit I killed just disappear afterwards so I couldn't skin it. I don't know if they were falling through the map or what, but it was irritating as hell.

Now that I've maxed my honor, I've been having fun trolling people. In particular, I was doing poker (again) last night, getting slow played by one of the more odd AIs. I cashed out 600 up, went behind him and did him in, Jack McCall style (Later he wasn't at the table, to my extreme joy).

Has anyone run into the suicidal spouses? You'll run up to a person in the wilderness who is grieving over a dead body and after a few seconds will pick up a gun and kill themselves.

I ran into a new one last night. I ran into a small camp working TNT, but they didn't ask me to transport it anywhere. Some guy was directed to move a barrell, which he proceeded to put next to me and my horse which were probably close to the camp than was wise. As I moved forward in my saddle to spur my black steed, the man who just put down the small barrel of TNT utters, "Man, I could use a smoke."
The next thing I remember is my Hotel Room.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 11:41 AM

All this talk makes me want to return to the game to (finally) beat it. I left once right before Mexico, and left again after a few missions up north. I kept thinking I'd reached the end, but it dragged on forever.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 11:48 AM

I ran into a new one last night. I ran into a small camp working TNT, but they didn't ask me to transport it anywhere. Some guy was directed to move a barrell, which he proceeded to put next to me and my horse which were probably close to the camp than was wise. As I moved forward in my saddle to spur my black steed, the man who just put down the small barrel of TNT utters, "Man, I could use a smoke."
The next thing I remember is my Hotel Room.
I actually wheeze-laughed in my office at this. Well done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
All this talk makes me want to return to the game to (finally) beat it. I left once right before Mexico, and left again after a few missions up north. I kept thinking I'd reached the end, but it dragged on forever.
GTA IV took forever, but I don't remember the raw pointlessness that this game exudes. The first two thirds of the game everyone you encounter is dicking you around and you make empty threats before you capitulate to their requests like a little bitch. All the build-up to Fort Mercer and then they pull the rug out from under you and put you back to square one in Mexico. How fun.

By Mexico the cutscenes became irrelevant. No information important to the storyline was being revealed and Marston was just rephrasing his vague dialogue on his past.

It's weird, too. I found Landon Ricketts to be one of the more interesting characters yet he had few missions and zero impact on the actual storyline (Not counting his Dead-Eye advice). The rest of the pricks were just like "Yeah, yeah, we're working on it" the entire time.

It takes till you go North for the story to actually progress. Two thirds of the game is walking on a plot treadmill with different backdrops, jumping through different hoops in the guise of cooperation which was just a thinly veiled construct to offer different types of missions that would make no sense within the context of Marston's personal story.

Video Game writing, it has a long way to go yet.

(As always, shame you're on PS3, love to do a NN meet-up)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 12:14 PM

I actually wheeze-laughed in my office at this. Well done.
Spoilers (Duh): Random Encounters - Red Dead Redemption Wiki

Occasionally, the player may come across someone grieving over a dead body. If the player sits there and watches them for a minute (they will not talk to the player) the grieving person will either shoot themselves in the head or drink poison. The situations the player comes upon will vary slightly, as the couple may be two men, two women, or a man and a woman. In almost every case, it appears the already dead person was shot or possibly knifed (due to the pooling of blood beneath them). The player can loot the person who commits suicide once they've died, but not the already-dead body. The player may shoot the gun or bottle out the the living man's hands before he commits suicide, which will in turn give the player honor. The man will thank the player and walk off. This is most common in the Tall Trees and Cochinay areas that are secluded from society.
SOmetimes it's impressive what you can do in this game.
That said, I find the disarm mechanic to be less than reliable, even up close.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2011, 12:23 PM

Also, are you ever on? Was surprised not to see you this weekend.
Its an either or situation for my Xbox and iMac. Since I've not been playing BO online, I haven't got the Xbox hooked up as much. Plus I was doing the drunken Englishman bit on Saturday when the Frogs got beaten. I'll be away this weekend as well.

It gets tricky. I tried sniping from far out the second time this happened, but when the horse dropped the woman the rope was bouncing all sorts of ways and impossible to get a bead on.
How far in do you get a sniper? I haven't seen one for sale anywhere yet (not done very much of the map though tbh).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 12:25 PM

You get both in the course of missions I believe. First before you leave Mexico.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2011, 01:33 PM

GTA IV took forever, but I don't remember the raw pointlessness that this game exudes. The first two thirds of the game everyone you encounter is dicking you around and you make empty threats before you capitulate to their requests like a little bitch. All the build-up to Fort Mercer and then they pull the rug out from under you and put you back to square one in Mexico. How fun.
Definitely. I think the game is incredible, but the storyline definitely relies almost entirely with the stringing-you-along plot. Perhaps they spent so much time creating an amazing world that they short-changed the writing. I don't know -- there won't be an explanation.

By Mexico the cutscenes became irrelevant. No information important to the storyline was being revealed and Marston was just rephrasing his vague dialogue on his past.
I'm pretty sure Mexico is what brought on my RDR fatigue. I didn't care at all about the revolution storyline, and tried to hammer through that storyline as quickly as possible. I still haven't explored several parts of Mexico.

(As always, shame you're on PS3, love to do a NN meet-up)
The little gaming time I've had in the past month was spent first with NBA 2K11 (My Player mode), then on Killzone 3. I've been so swamped with work and spent several days in Central Texas with family. I did hop on Battlefield:BC2 the other night though.

In an entirely predictable turn of events, I'm thinking about slowly moving my future multi-platform purchases to 360 for several reasons, and since I love lists, I'm going to post one in the console thread...

Sometimes it's impressive what you can do in this game.
Absolutely. Every 30 minutes or so spent in the game yields something that makes me shake my head and laugh. Such a crazy, immersive world.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2011, 03:11 PM

Definitely. I think the game is incredible, but the storyline definitely relies almost entirely with the stringing-you-along plot. Perhaps they spent so much time creating an amazing world that they short-changed the writing. I don't know -- there won't be an explanation.
Nope, one of the Hausers (GTA) helped write it. It's simply weak, which is kinda sad for a game that was in development for so long.

I'm pretty sure Mexico is what brought on my RDR fatigue. I didn't care at all about the revolution storyline, and tried to hammer through that storyline as quickly as possible. I still haven't explored several parts of Mexico.
Mexico isn't all that interesting. Hell, even the roads suck – it's much more efficient to follow the railroad line while traveling.

I was kinda lucky in that as I started Mexico I read somewhere that it was like half the game and quite a grind. I think that's a bit of a exaggeration, but it did get me to brace myself.

Absolutely. Every 30 minutes or so spent in the game yields something that makes me shake my head and laugh. Such a crazy, immersive world.
It's a shame so much of that is missing from Free Roam.

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2011, 05:49 AM

I finally managed to save one of those women - I shot all opponents as fast as I could and then managed to shoot the rope (the woman was already hanging but not yet dead). She thanked me and ran away with her husband...

This game is really sick - yesterday night I was after a horse thief and pulled him of the horse with the lasso when suddenly a puma came out of the bushes and killed the guy and another passing guy on a horse before I was able to kill the puma. Unfortunately it was a bad idea to get off the stolen horse to skin the dead puma because that made it unpossible to return the horse to its owner since he then didn't wait for my return and was already gone...
( Last edited by badidea; Mar 8, 2011 at 05:55 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 12:00 PM

This game is really sick - yesterday night I was after a horse thief and pulled him of the horse with the lasso when suddenly a puma came out of the bushes and killed the guy and another passing guy on a horse before I was able to kill the puma. Unfortunately it was a bad idea to get off the stolen horse to skin the dead puma because that made it unpossible to return the horse to its owner since he then didn't wait for my return and was already gone...
I've had so many stories I haven't told. I did have a weird one with returning the horse to the owner last night: I got so far as the "Release L trigger" but I think I sped off to fast and since he didn't pay me before I got out of range I "failed" it. Irritating.

I was bear hunting at some point and found the last one I needed, only to find he had a friend – cue feverish spurring and turn-in-the-saddle aiming. After I dropped the first a pack of wolves fell upon us, just to make things even more difficult. I cleared most of them out (bear still in tow) but by the time I got reoriented another bear had arrived and dropped my ride. Interestingly, I was near a road at this point, and passersby started opening fire on the bears! I've never seen this before, particularly given that i was in danger, but it was clutch. When I turned around to make my final run at the bear (I had to knife it for a challenge) it was engaged with a wolf nipping at its legs. (After everything was done I was skinning stuff for a few minutes).

I don't see enough of animals screwing with NPCs.

It's weird, I'm nearing the end of the game and I'm basically avoiding doing missions. I don't want it to end, and it's the side stuff I enjoy so much.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2011, 12:40 PM

Mexico isn't all that interesting. Hell, even the roads suck – it's much more efficient to follow the railroad line while traveling.

I was kinda lucky in that as I started Mexico I read somewhere that it was like half the game and quite a grind. I think that's a bit of a exaggeration, but it did get me to brace myself.
The guys on Podcast Beyond mentioned it before I got there, but I still didn't realize how much I'd grow to hate Abraham Reyes, and Allende.

It's a shame so much of that is missing from Free Roam.
Barely touched it.

I finally managed to save one of those women - I shot all opponents as fast as I could and then managed to shoot the rope (the woman was already hanging but not yet dead). She thanked me and ran away with her husband...
I guess I must've lucked out and didn't realize it -- I managed to save the hanging woman my first time around.

Such a great game...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2011, 05:24 AM

It's weird, I'm nearing the end of the game and I'm basically avoiding doing missions. I don't want it to end, and it's the side stuff I enjoy so much.
How much time have you spent on it? I can go hours without actually accomplishing any missions, just wondering about.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 04:01 PM

How much time have you spent on it? I can go hours without actually accomplishing any missions, just wondering about.
I'm nearing two days played, with a lot of ****ing around. I certainly can't go hours wandering (outside of the early exploring). As much as I think the game is superior to GTA IV, technically, there's less to see and do (random encounters aside).

What I started doing is planning events depending on the time of day. Taking missions early in the morning, traveling at dusk, playing poker to kill some time before sleeping (or before sunrise). Using the waypoint destination to cross between the countries.

Oh, and I still desperately want to do some co-op.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 9, 2011, 04:46 PM

Lamenting what there is to see or do:

I look at Blackwater and I wish that each storefront was interactive. That's the problem with open-world games. Once you add all that detail, you need to make it playable. The ferry at the beginning of the game? Why can't it be an easy way to get to Mexico? With an additional one at Thieves Landing? Why can't you save at those campfires you get invited to (they strike me as safe havens).

How about a Pony Express job? I swear my favorite job in the GTAs (aside from running Taxi) was delivering pizzas. I realize it's somewhat paradoxical when money never has value outside of the beginning of games (I haven't sold the gold from Treasures 2 - 9), but is fun. (Though I am glad herding isn't a side job).

The train is another let down. It doesn't seem like a real alternative way to travel, and you can't really hijack it and have fun with (unlike the train in San Andreas). Could you imagine choosing you tracks and then colliding head-on with another? (It being missing from multiplayer is also disappointed, though it would be moreso if it delivered what I mentioned previously).

I'm surprised you can't sell horses in this game. (Break than guide to town. Not exactly easy). Or other livestock. Skinning animals is cool, but the animation becomes a real chore if you're dealing with more than one or two animals at a time.

I have to try robbing a bank. But that seems something more suited to multiple peoples.

Why can't I challenge people to duels? Can I up the embarrassment ante by shooting their hat off, disarming them and putting a bullet between their eyes?

Why can't I sleep (save) in any bed, and face the consequences (Hello Fable)?

Why can't I hire mercs to help me capture bounties or assault gang hideouts?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2011, 06:39 AM

I'm nearing two days played, with a lot of ****ing around. I certainly can't go hours wandering (outside of the early exploring). As much as I think the game is superior to GTA IV, technically, there's less to see and do (random encounters aside).
I think that I'm still in the awe stage of this game. I've done alot less than you have.

What I started doing is planning events depending on the time of day. Taking missions early in the morning, traveling at dusk, playing poker to kill some time before sleeping (or before sunrise). Using the waypoint destination to cross between the countries.
Thats, thats like ... organisation. I noticed that you only have a certain time to get a bounty. I was accepting everything and the missions have basically disappeared.

Oh, and I still desperately want to do some co-op.
I'd disappoint you. This weekend maybe. In-laws are around so ...

Lamenting what there is to see or do:

I look at Blackwater and I wish that each storefront was interactive. That's the problem with open-world games. Once you add all that detail, you need to make it playable. The ferry at the beginning of the game? Why can't it be an easy way to get to Mexico? With an additional one at Thieves Landing? Why can't you save at those campfires you get invited to (they strike me as safe havens).

How about a Pony Express job? I swear my favorite job in the GTAs (aside from running Taxi) was delivering pizzas. I realize it's somewhat paradoxical when money never has value outside of the beginning of games (I haven't sold the gold from Treasures 2 - 9), but is fun. (Though I am glad herding isn't a side job).

The train is another let down. It doesn't seem like a real alternative way to travel, and you can't really hijack it and have fun with (unlike the train in San Andreas). Could you imagine choosing you tracks and then colliding head-on with another? (It being missing from multiplayer is also disappointed, though it would be moreso if it delivered what I mentioned previously).

I'm surprised you can't sell horses in this game. (Break than guide to town. Not exactly easy). Or other livestock. Skinning animals is cool, but the animation becomes a real chore if you're dealing with more than one or two animals at a time.

I have to try robbing a bank. But that seems something more suited to multiple peoples.

Why can't I challenge people to duels? Can I up the embarrassment ante by shooting their hat off, disarming them and putting a bullet between their eyes?

Why can't I sleep (save) in any bed, and face the consequences (Hello Fable)?

Why can't I hire mercs to help me capture bounties or assault gang hideouts?
These are great ideas. This sort of stuff could easily go into some DLC. I do wonder how much having a completely open world would add to the game though.

I always thought that it would be easy to allow a player to save a game at any moment. I wonder why it isn't done in Red Dead. In Borderlands you could save, but you ended up back at a spawn point. Bizarre.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 12:10 PM

I always thought that it would be easy to allow a player to save a game at any moment. I wonder why it isn't done in Red Dead. In Borderlands you could save, but you ended up back at a spawn point. Bizarre.
Try the campsite. I've always neglected to, but from what I've read it's a mobile save point.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2011, 12:38 PM

The campsite save is fine. Y'all don't use it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 12:43 PM

The campsite save is fine. Y'all don't use it?
The only place it seems like it might come into play is Mexico. Everywhere else a save point is only a short gallop away. Which is both good and bad, from a gameplay perspective. (Also, after a while I refused to save during the day, lest I throw away precious daylight)

Edit: Ironically, I once tried to use the campsite save at a campsite. It doesn't work that way.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2011, 01:59 PM

I'd disappoint you. This weekend maybe. In-laws are around so ...
That's alright, there's always Bogues, right Bogues?

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Glad to see you started up RDR. This is EXACTLY the excuse i needed to get back into it and do some serious co-op and multi.
RIGHT?!

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Mar 10, 2011, 02:05 PM

...right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2011, 12:08 PM

This game looks like my best chance at a 100% on a Rockstar game, and it looks like thanks to a glitch I'm going to get ****ed out of it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2011, 01:08 PM

I accidentally finished it a few days ago and missed one mission, and you can'd go back and do it I found out, so I'm stuck at like 99.2% completion. ouch. Luckily I like this game enough to do another play through. I've been enjoying the hardcore multi with my buddy a lot though. Nothing like a 6 man posse in a stagecoach doing drive-bys in the old west. LOL

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2011, 01:11 PM

What mission? Spoiler it if you want.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2011, 01:25 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2011, 01:32 PM

From what I've read, that doesn't count towards 100%.

Not gospel, but:
I Know You - Red Dead Redemption Wiki
Note: If this final encounter is not completed prior to the mission "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed", players cannot complete this Stranger side-mission. However this does not prevent the player from achieving 100% Completion.

Are you sure this is what you're missing? The obvious thing to mis IMO is bounties.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2011, 04:40 PM

Hmm. I'll do some more exploring and see if I can find the last thing missing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2011, 04:40 PM

If you're part of the Rockstar social club, they have a page that will show you what's missing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 14, 2011, 11:56 AM

Well, I beat the game. Currently sitting at 98.5% completion and not looking forward to rest of it.

The game is almost sadistic in it's spawning. I saved a guy from bears in a clearing (two or three) and just skinning the cadavers I ended up fighting off two new waves (which I also had to carve up).

Finally got to do some co-op.

We'll see if I have any more time left for this game after tomorrow.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2011, 06:26 PM

Fcuking horse cart racing. I didn't even mean to meet up with that Dickens twat and I end up horse cart racing.

Borderlands went back in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules