Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone update backup to external HD

iPhone update backup to external HD
jonniecraig
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2011, 07:55 PM

Hello,

I no longer have enough space on my mac book hard disk to backup my iphone when I update. Is there anyway for me to not backup / backup to an external hard drive instead?

I tried just to press x when it starts to backup but it cancels the whole thing.

-Jonnie

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2011, 09:06 PM

iPhone backups are stored in your home library: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

Mine is just 1GB (media, apps, contacts, etc. that are already on your computer don't get backed up), so it sounds like you desperately need a larger hard drive, or else you need to free some space by moving some of your other files to the external drive. I don't think there is a way to change where the backups are stored.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2011, 07:38 PM

You can go into the iTunes preferences and set it under device not to automatically backup your iPhone, but you have bigger problems if you are running out of space. If you have less than 1GB of space left on your Mac, be careful. Just like a Windows computer, too, running out of disc space could cause your disc to crash and you might lose critical data.

cbcory
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2011, 04:43 PM

The issue (if the iphone is not backup to the computer) is where to backup iphone? IF the answer is an external hard drive - how to set up to automatically backup iphone to an external drive?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2011, 05:27 PM

Putting aside the issue that you need to free up space or get a new hard drive...

With iOS 5, it's not necessary to back up to your hard drive. You can back up to the cloud instead, by going to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup and turn on iCloud Backup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules