Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > suggestion for wifi add-on to Mac Pro 2008 3.1?

suggestion for wifi add-on to Mac Pro 2008 3.1?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2015, 07:08 AM

Hi All,

My ancient Mac Pro 2008 (3.1) needs wifi (no internal card). The router is 3 floors away, so I'd like to get something with external antennae.

I've found this PCI card:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

and this USB 3 dongle (I've installed a USB 3 PCI card):

ESYNiC 11AC 5G Dual Band Wireless AC1200M USB 3.0: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Can anyone comment on their suitability, and perhaps point me to an ideal solution that I haven't found yet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chas

ps. I've been forced to visit the forums via another machine, and each has only 3 or less threads in it? It's been years and years since I logged in via any other machine than my Mac Pro, is there some setting I need to turn on to see all the threads again? (a quick look through hasn't found anything)

P
Oct 13, 2015, 08:31 AM

Well, the Asus card doesn't seem to have a Mac driver, from what I can tell, so probably the other one?

If you only see a few threads, it is probably the thread cutoff date that is set to too recent. On any forum page that isn't a single thread, scroll down to the bottom and you will find the segment called "Display Options". There you can set how many threads to show.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2015, 12:44 PM

I haven't tried this myself, but check this out, for $10 it's worth a try I think:

NewerTech MaxPower USB Wireless Adapter From OWC
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2015, 12:48 PM

Sorry, I missed this reply.

I actually ended up drilling through a few walls and a floor to run some cat5 cable to the router. Much faster, though faff to set up!

Thanks for the forum info. I was confused because I didn't make any changes myself.

Cheers!

Chas

Originally Posted by P View Post
Well, the Asus card doesn't seem to have a Mac driver, from what I can tell, so probably the other one?

If you only see a few threads, it is probably the thread cutoff date that is set to too recent. On any forum page that isn't a single thread, scroll down to the bottom and you will find the segment called "Display Options". There you can set how many threads to show.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2015, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I really appreciate it.

I actually ended up doing some drilling to run a cat5 cable to the router. Quite a bit of work, but a cable is of course going to offer a better connection than just about any wifi solution.

Cheers!

Chas

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I haven't tried this myself, but check this out, for $10 it's worth a try I think:

NewerTech MaxPower USB Wireless Adapter From OWC

Forum Links
Forum Rules