Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod in my Accord

iPod in my Accord
jtbowden
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 06:43 PM

I just took pictures of my iPod/Accord setup. I highly recommend it to ACcord owners. I plugged a Belkin adapter under the console into an extra AC adapter I wired in. Then I ran the output to a PIE hon-aux converter that goes into my factory stereo. The dock connector runs up into my armrest. It is all hidden from view. I love how it turned out and it sounds wonderful.

Check out the install photos:

http://www.ee.byu.edu/~jtb8/iPod/index.html

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2003, 07:40 PM

Cool I am planing a similar install with my prius. I got the audiovox high power radio transmitter and I'm going to get one of those belkin power cords and a dock to stick the pod in. I'll post pics when I do it.

Aykew
Jun 4, 2003, 11:15 PM

Very slick setup! I'm not sure how I'm going to rig my Element, but I hope it looks half as good as yours!

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2003, 08:47 AM

The idea with the extra AC adaptor is worth a big thank you!, I hadn't thought of that. I only wish i had a console between the front seats..

gkorsgard
Jun 5, 2003, 10:17 AM

Great installation. I have been planning something similar with my Acura CL.

gkorsgard
Jun 5, 2003, 10:32 AM

Great installation. I have been planning something similar with my Acura CL.

malemutekid
Jun 5, 2003, 10:56 AM

That's very nice. Here is my basic setup using just a tape deck adapter and Sprint phone mount.

Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2003, 12:07 PM

That's great! thx for the pics... I plan on getting an Accord next year and I definitely want to get my ipod hooked up.

What model year is your Accord? The interior looks quite a bit different from the 2003 model.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by motti:
The idea with the extra AC adaptor is worth a big thank you!, I hadn't thought of that. I only wish i had a console between the front seats..
You could do something similar to what this guy did:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=509131

He uses a PanaVise generic clip to hold the iPod off to the side of the center console. PanaVise makes clips for all kinds of vehicles:
http://www.panavise.com/nf/comm/inda...andsearch.html

I think that is what I'll do when I get my Accord.

jtbowden  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2003, 01:01 PM

What model year is your Accord? The interior looks quite a bit different from the 2003 model.
My car is a 1999 Accord EX. The 2003 is redesigned and has a different stereo. I don't know how the new stereo would work unless it already has AUX inputs. P.I.E. and RCAinput don't make converters for the 2003 (yet, or they don't need to).

reverb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2003, 03:28 AM

That's very nice. Here is my basic setup using just a tape deck adapter and Sprint phone mount.
malemutekid,

Could you please provided specifics regarding the Sprint phone mount you used in your Civic?

Did the phone mount include both the bracket and phone holder, and do you have a part number(s)?

Also, did it require any drilling? I can't see specifically how it is mounted.

Thanks

tr
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by jtbowden:
I just took pictures of my iPod/Accord setup. I highly recommend it to ACcord owners. I plugged a Belkin adapter under the console into an extra AC adapter I wired in.
when you said this, i thought you were running 120V via power inverter. i think you mean DC adapter, you're just tapping in to 12V, right?

tr

jtbowden  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 12:28 AM

Yeah, I definately meant an extra 12VDC socket, not an AC inverter. Slip of the, err.. tongue, uh... hand.

I have directions on how to do all of this posted now:

http://www.ee.byu.edu/~jtb8/iPod/ipod_install.html

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 03:53 AM

Well I finished the first phaze of my Prius installation. It came out really nice. Now I just need for Apple to start shipping the extra iPod docks the plan is to put velcro on the bottom of the dock and stick it to the upholstry right below the CD player where the cables come out from the dashboard. That way I'll be able to use the audio line out on the dock which is distinguished as not sucking ass comparedt to the crappy little amp in the iPod.

malemutekid
Jun 10, 2003, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by reverb:
malemutekid,

Could you please provided specifics regarding the Sprint phone mount you used in your Civic?

Did the phone mount include both the bracket and phone holder, and do you have a part number(s)?

Also, did it require any drilling? I can't see specifically how it is mounted.

Thanks
The mount includes both the bracket and the phone holder. They are seperate pieces where the phone holder has a slot that slides over the mount into place. I do not have the part number, but I found it easily at sprint.com or you could find at their store. I tried drilling, but that did not work for me. I use Scotch Adhesive to stick it on the dash. I use that stuff for everything. It holds it nice and securely.
Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

hefalumps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 03:58 PM

Hi!

I'm looking to do the same thing with my 2000 Accord.

My question - does anyone know of a chain "car parts" place that sells an AUX adapter like the ones from P.I.E. or RCAInput.com? I don't feel like waiting for one to ship, and I'd like to be able to talk to someone after I buy it (I'm not terribly saavy when it comes to car repair type stuff).

Thanks in advance to anyone who has advice!
hefalumps

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2003, 04:06 PM

Very COOL!
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2003, 08:32 PM

Whee. I'm done with my installation. Might install a cig. lighter adapter behind the dashboard to free up the one I'm using now for the belkin power adapter. Other than that everything is peachy. I have all the ugly chords and things stashed up in the dashboard where I don't have to see/deal with them, and the two connecters (audio and power) coming out to the spot of upholstry in front of the console. There they connect to the iPod dock which is velcroed to the upholstry. I get awesome audio quality and power and my iPod gets a dock, so it's not flailing all over the car when I'm driving around. Pics when I get the wires all untangled and organized so you can see what's going on in there

SillyMe
Jun 11, 2003, 10:49 PM

Where did you buy that Belkin part? Their website shows it is not yet available!

Derek

JasonBourne
Jun 12, 2003, 06:19 PM

iPod in my Pilot

I just took pictures of my iPod/Accord setup. I highly recommend it to ACcord owners. I plugged a Belkin adapter under the console into an extra AC adapter I wired in. Then I ran the output to a PIE hon-aux converter that goes into my factory stereo. The dock connector runs up into my armrest. It is all hidden from view. I love how it turned out and it sounds wonderful.

http://homepage.mac.com/jovits1/PhotoAlbum30.html

JasonBourne
Jun 12, 2003, 06:21 PM

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2003, 09:23 PM

i'd purchase this as i type this if i wasn't going to sell my 5 gig for a 30 gig soon...i hope this company comes out w/ just about the same thing but for the 30 gig models soon, because i'd buy one in a hearbeat!

hefalumps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 12:28 AM

Hey jtbowden...

When you hook up the iPod in this manner - can you still use your CD player? I have very little reason too if I'm successful in replicating your setup, but I was just curious.

Thanks...
hefalumps

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2003, 05:23 PM

How does the sound quality compare between a cassette adapter and running RCA's to an aux input? I'm getting a new Sienna with both a tape deck and 6-disk cd changer. I don't want to disconnect the cd player as I will use it a little. I'm assuming that there will not be another aux input on the back of the radio. If quality is much better when connected to an aux input (RCA's), is there a way to share the input between the cd player and my iPod? Such as some sort of Y-connector?

hefalumps
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 11:55 PM

Well, I completed my installation (thanks so much jtbowden for the instructions). I wired my 2000 Accord for a 2nd generation iPod. I didn't bother with the power, since the 2nd generation doesn't have one nice connector for everything like the 3rd generation does. Wire comes out of my armrest - and it sounds GREAT.

The sound quality is great - nowhere near as "tinny" as tape adapters can sound. And I was glad to discover that my CD player still worked. I was concerned that if the stereo thought a CD-changer was attached, the console CD player would no longer work.

fishguy, as for your setup... it sounds like you might have a problem. You'll have to search rcainput.com to see if they have anything for that particular stereo. There might be something that lets you do what you need.
hefalumps

kalonji
Jun 24, 2003, 12:36 PM

i have a 2003 accord coupe and a new 15 gig ipod i just bought last nite. any other 2003 owners that know how to set this up?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 09:30 PM

I have a 2000 Celica and I've been using a tape adapter and power adapter for a while. I mounted it by wedging the iPod into this compartment on the dashboard that the celica has. By doing so I've sort of broke my iPod. By wedging it in I put pressure on the firewire connector and now no computer will recognize it (but charging works). This means that I've had the same songs on my iPod since October, which sucks.

I think I'm getting a 30 GB iPod this summer and I am interested in what I see on rcainput.com however I am concerned that by using the adapter I will disable my indash CD player and I don't want to do that.

I'll take pictures of my iPod setup soon so you can see what i mean.

Forum Links
Forum Rules