Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ChumpUSA's Crazy Pricing

ChumpUSA's Crazy Pricing
pathman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 05:19 PM

Went to two different ChumpUSA's today. Here's a couple of goodies each one had to offer:

A returned Powermac G4/466 for $1000. The manager would not go lower, even though I let him know that one can have a brand new G4/1 Ghz for about $150 more. He offered to throw in a 3 year replacement plan for free, but he wouldn't go lower than $1000 for the Powermac.

At the other store, they had a returned Powermac Dual G4/867 for $1500. This time, I let him know that for $70 more, one can get a brand new Dual G4/1.25 from the Apple Store. He said okay, how about $1400 for the dual 867?

Anyway, I thought this was pretty funny. I just don't know why I keep wasting time and gas going to ChumpUSA. It's got to be one of the worst stores for Apple that I have ever seen.

If anybody else has some interesting pricing stories, I'm sure we'd like to hear them

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2003, 06:10 PM

Wow 3 year replacement! Why didn't you snag that gem? Everybody in 2006 will be drooling over your sweet 466 G4!

Really, why go to compusa when you have an internet connection? Better selection, better prices, no damn redshirts hassling you. You could probably get most stuff overnighted to you cheaper than compusa.

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2003, 06:48 PM

CompUSA is not as bad as they get. I was looking at the 1st season of Stat Trek NG at Hastings; they wanted $140 for it used when their new price for it was $100. Worse, this inconsistency did not seem to bother the sails person.
( Last edited by King_Rat; Jul 5, 2003 at 10:56 PM. )
-King Rat

rezzi
Jul 5, 2003, 08:52 PM

Yes, they are dramatically overpriced. That place could become a factor only if you need hard/software NOW and not 2 days from now.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 09:18 PM

Usually, inCompetentUSAs will adjust their price if you can show that Apple's national price is now lowered. Many managers are willing to get rid of their old macs at decent prices.

Yours may not be one of them. So don't shop there.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kkant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by rezzi:
Yes, they are dramatically overpriced. That place could become a factor only if you need hard/software NOW and not 2 days from now.
I used to go to CompUSA in this situation, but I have recently started using PC DIY hardware shops instead. The prices are often as cheap as online.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2003, 11:51 PM

CompUSA is one of the worst retail chains in the computer business or otherwise. Being a Mac customer at a CompUSA takes the already horrible experience and makes it considerably worse.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

SillyMe
Jul 6, 2003, 12:11 AM

After having my PowerBook in service for almost three months, I vowed to NEVER buy anything from CompUSA again.

The extended warranty they sold me ($350) amounted to to a major pain. I had to convince them to fix my computer. When I was sold the warranty, they said it covered everything. They lied. In reality the fine print gives them enough leeway to weasel out of just about anything. Each time you go to CompUSA, you will likely deal with a different person with a different opinion on your warranty claim. Sure, I should have read the details, but then again, I didn't expect to be lied to.

The first repair was to replace the cracked hinge covers on the back of my Ti400. A massive $40 worth of parts. They gave me so much crap, but agreed to fix it with MUCH prodding and schmoozing on my part. They resisted because they felt it was cosmetic, even though it's a widespread issue with the original Titaniums. Two weeks later, it was fixed. What a headache!

After two weeks, the machine would no longer run without AC power. The warranty expired in seven days, so I rushed it back to CompUSA. Four weeks later I got it back, only to discover the crappy refurb board that was installed (by a non-apple service center) had a dead audio out port. I couldn't use my headphones or plug in external speakers. Back it went, officially out of warranty. They agreed to fix it because it was covered under their 90 day repair warranty.

Seven more weeks, NUMEROUS calls and no call backs, I was finally notified the computer was in. When I went to pick it up, I was told it was lost. They found it a few days later. The next week I picked it up scared to death what I would find.

It was fixed, but I was without my computer for almost three months.

My Ti400 worked great for 2.75 years before having problems. I don't blame the computer, because it was one the FIRST Ti400's made and went a LONG LONG time without any issues-- in many grueling environments.

The moral of the story: BUY YOUR APPLE GEAR FROM APPLE, AND GET THE APPLECARE. CompUSA should shrivel up and die. AVOID COMPUSA AT ALL COSTS IF YOUR TIME MEANS ANYTHING TO YOU! Their turnover is horrible, and customer service varies from store to store and hour to hour.

My experience with AppleCare, by contrast, has been nothing but positive. They are so attentive, responsive, and prompt. You may save a few buck by buying whatever at Comp, but in the long run, you will probably regret it.
( Last edited by SillyMe; Jul 6, 2003 at 12:21 AM. )

yg17
Jul 6, 2003, 12:32 AM

Now when I go to get my Mac laptop, I'll of course go to the Apple Store, but if for some odd reason they're out, there's a CrapUSA down the street. If I buy the lappy there, can I still get AppleCare through Apple, or am I stuck with the CrapUSA warranty?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2003, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by yg17:
Now when I go to get my Mac laptop, I'll of course go to the Apple Store, but if for some odd reason they're out, there's a CrapUSA down the street. If I buy the lappy there, can I still get AppleCare through Apple, or am I stuck with the CrapUSA warranty?
You can still buy Apple care through CompUSA. However, I also understand first hand about why people don't like CompUSA. They treat their people and customers like crape and they certainly don't care.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 08:28 AM

I have to say I've been treated decently at compusa.
I bought a dual gig there and they had a couple of guys that were pretty passionate about apple, one was an apple employee but the other was a compusa employee.

No complaints from me.

Mike

mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2003, 01:18 PM

Ugh CompUSA employees are so incompetent. It took about 3 of em to figure out how to do an exchange on a router I had bought... pathetic.

They gouge the prices on Pro Keyboards/Mice by $10. I mentioned this to the manager and he just shrugged and said, we have more keyboards in the other department.

I try to avoid them at all costs.
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2003, 02:35 PM

A few years ago I was putting together a more "modern" system to replace my PowerMac 7300/200. I had bought a 400 mhz G3 tower off ebay and was looking for a monitor. I found a display modal 17" Cinema Display CRT in the used section for $250. This was a steal at the time, so I went and got a employee and told him I was interested in it. The employee told me that the pricing must be wrong because the iMac's weren't that cheap. I informed him that this was not an iMac, instead it was a display. He still did not believe me and went and looked it up in the database only to find, surprise, the display was indeed $250. He told me that he was surprised that they would put out an iMac in the used section for that cheap because an iMac (a 17" CRT one no less) would be pretty expensive. He also reminded me this iMac would not be elegable for service.

Well, I did end up getting the display for $250, but I was still amazed at the complete lack of mac knowledge.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

yg17
Jul 6, 2003, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by mark9939:
Ugh CompUSA employees are so incompetent.
Ditto. I was doing some work on my pee cee and needed some Arctic Silver 3. Since I needed it that day and couldn't wait for it to arrive if I ordered online, I went to CompUSA's website and much to my suprise, they sold AS3. I checked to see if they had it in stock at the store near me, and sure enough they did. I went there that day and after not seeing it out on teh shelf and seeing a bunch of case and processor supplies behind the counter, I asked the guy working there for a tube of AS3. He just gave me a blank stare and was like "Uhh, what's that?" I told him what it was, and he grabbed another employee, who apparentley had some idea of what it was but it took him 3 minutes to find it. The sad thing is, the moron who didn't know what it was worked in the repair/upgrades department (Thats where the AS3 is). I know that you don't have to know how to build a computer to install a hard drive, but you should at least know what AS3 and thermal paste are, especially if you sell the stuff. Any employee at any store should know what they sell and what they don't and where it is.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2003, 06:41 PM

Whenever I'm asked where to buy Mac hardware in the Boston, MA area here are my responses:

1) AppleStore @ CambridgeSide / Chestnut Hill
2)Microcenter (nice staff... good Mac stuff... can be dated though)

IF asked about ChompUSA my response is:

Those flaming bloody incompitents couldn't do any of the following:

1.Find their arses with both hands and a pocket torch
2.Tell the difference between CAT5 Ethernet and a hole in their arses
3.Treat the customers decently.

Bloody hell I HATE those bastards.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

milhouse
Senior User
Jul 6, 2003, 10:05 PM

Almost EVERY time I'm in my local CUSA I encounter a customer needing help with their Mac or with buying a new Mac. I usually listen in horror as misinformation is handed out and the salesperson walks away. I usually offer what assistance I can.

Recently one person was looking for an external burner for his iMac. The salesperson said she didn't know of anything that worked with Macs and the Apple guy was out. She then said "I apologize" and walked away.

I approached the potential customer and asked a few questions. Within about 7 minutes we had selected a nicely priced 52 x firewire burner, FW cable and Roxio Toast Titanium for his DV iMac. Their ignorance nearly lost them $200 in sales, which the customer happily paid.

He thanked me and also noted that he had just come from a nearby CUSA looking for the same external drive. They told him to "go to Macworld in New York city, they'd have his parts". He said that next move was to drive to NYC and find "macworld for his parts".

Unbelievably ingnorant morons who possess near zero knowledge about technology and multi-platform needs should not be allowed to work in a retailer specializing in that area.

It just shows the poor quality of the hiring policy of CUSA as a retailer.

Personally I've had a hit or miss experience with CUSA. Since I generally have much greater knowledge than any of the salespeople I usually require only help accessing stock, which is not always as simple as it sounds.
"-Dodge This"

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 6, 2003, 11:07 PM

I used to work at CompUSSR... I was a good guy though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

benb
Jul 7, 2003, 12:17 PM

Ha. This is a good thread. I had a CUSA employee shut the doors on us 1 hour early. We showed him the sign on the door that said "Later Holiday Hours" and he said it wasn't right. We said ask your manager. He said he didn't have to. We pushed him back and walked into the store. He said he would be getting the manager to kick us out. No manager ever came...

And then there was the time that I needed a power cable for my floppy drive (to go from the large HD-style connector to the small Floppy one). I called the store and asked if they had them, they said yes. Went there, they said they didn't. One guy suggested buying a new drive because they were "so cheap". Nice try, floppy drives don't come with power cables.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2003, 12:52 PM

You called a CompUSA and got a human on the phone? Son of a bitch! I'm impressed...

Seriously, I have never been able to get people on the phone. ShitUSA is like 45 min. from my house, so I don't want to waste nearly two hours in the car only to find out they don't have what I need. You can check stuff on their website, but I've found it to be unreliable.

Man I hate that place.

Originally posted by benb:
I called the store and asked if they had them, they said yes. Went there, they said they didn't. One guy suggested buying a new drive because they were "so cheap". Nice try, floppy drives don't come with power cables.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 01:51 PM

I don't dispute all the problems with CompUSA, but I'm glad they're around nevertheless.

Occasionally you do find a good deal. I picked up two KDS Rad 9 19" lcd panels in January, one a demo for $600 and one new for $650. The item was discontinued and they threw in the two year replacement warranty. I did not want the warranty at all but it's the only way they would sell them to me. I know you're thinking: "KDS, yuck!" but these are two excellent displays (they were on PC mag's top 10 list at the time, faulted only for having a one year backlight warranty)

The other thing they're handy for is parts. They sell a sweet Lian Li aluminum case for $99 and they stock the wonderful Antec True Power ps's among other things. When you need it now, there they are and in my area, there are not very many cool independent computer shops.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 7, 2003, 01:57 PM

The week after the Digital Audio machines were replaced with the Quicksilver machines by Apple, my CompUSA had an open-box the top-of-the-line 733MHz Digital Audio with SuperDrive for $799. It was over $1200 less than what most online vendors were charing for the machine new.

Only truly incredible deal I have ever seen at my local CompUSA.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2003, 02:46 PM

Interesting thread. What about the 170 CompUSA stores that have full-time Apple employees in them? How is it that CompUSA moves more Macs than any other retailer?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Starry Night
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Interesting thread. What about the 170 CompUSA stores that have full-time Apple employees in them? How is it that CompUSA moves more Macs than any other retailer?
I can't dispute the negative experiences posted here. However, Compusa does have that 14 day window in which you can exchange a defective computer for a new one. With nearly every other apple reseller, including apple itself, there's no return policy at all except w/a restocking fee. Amazon and Smalldog are the only others that offer flexibility in that department.....

I just bought a SP 1.25 GHZ G4 from a compusa. Their price was the same as Apple yet gave free shipping. So far it works great....

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
The local one to me is part of this group (Brighton, MA) and while the Apple guy is VERY useful when he's there... if he's not all I get is the rudest sales-things known to man...

Since I generally spend my time in the Mac section... I ALWAYS end up helping potential MAC buyers... and steering them away from the idiots who work there

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Mr6502
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2003, 09:39 AM

I agree most of their open stock stuff is a rip, but I did manage a great deal on a demo G4 dual 500 with superdrive a couple of years back. $899 with extended warranty after talkign to the manager.

BobK
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2003, 10:17 AM

I made a deal with my friend John, " that if I ever go to crapUSA again, he is to kick me in the balls as hard as he can"
Balls are still safe.
Now that there are 2 Apple stores in the Metro Denver area, I do not miss a thang. If I dont can't get it at the Appe store, then I get it on ebay.
Also Best Buy is starting to get to the kick me in the balls list.
Reason: Will not stop trying to sell the service , extended warrenty. Sick of it.

yg17
Jul 8, 2003, 12:54 PM

CompUSA is fine if you know exactly what you need. But if you need help in deciding on what to get, then you're screwed.

Their prices aren't too great either compared to online, so I rarely go there anyways.....

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by BobK:
I made a deal with my friend John, " that if I ever go to crapUSA again, he is to kick me in the balls as hard as he can"
Balls are still safe.
Also Best Buy is starting to get to the kick me in the balls list.
Reason: Will not stop trying to sell the service , extended warrenty. Sick of it.
now THAT's an idea... could be painful though

MrK
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 07:53 PM

I used to stop by all the time to get deals on CDR media... but they don't seem to offer all the rebates as often and they have the worst layout of any sotre I have been in aside from Fry's. As far as buying a computer there, forget it. I would rather take a bullet to the head...

yg17
Jul 9, 2003, 09:01 PM

I've never found any deals on CD-Rs at CompUSA. They're really cheap at Target for good brands such as Verbatim and Memorex, and that's before my discount there. CompUSA sometimes offers mail in rebates, but they're still a pain in the ass. A lot of paperwork and waiting just to get a few bucks back. Who wants to wait 10 weeks for a $5 check? They might as well take the price off the CD-Rs at the register.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by yg17:
Who wants to wait 10 weeks for a $5 check? They might as well take the price off the CD-Rs at the register.
Why do you think they don't do that? Lots of people don't bother to send in the rebates, and they deny many more for trivial reasons. It's much cheaper for them (if terribly annoying for the customer).

rezzi
Jul 10, 2003, 11:54 PM

Oh yeah, Icruise just made me remember the rebate I got cheated out of when I bought an LCD monitor from CmpUs a while ago. It comes back to me now why I really no longer frequent their establishment.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 11, 2003, 01:40 AM

Average return rates for mail-in rebates is, if I recall correctly, about 0.1%.

That's how they can afford to sell you things for "free after rebate."

Also, it's my understanding that some rebates come out of the advertising budget, thus somehow providing financial benefit to the company compared to a flat-out price drop or up-front discount.

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 07:16 PM

I have received 99% of all rebates I have submitted. I have one I am following up on and I will get it and make it 100%.

I don't buy things because of rebates unless the rebate is VERY significant, but one cannot deny that it really does bring down the price of some things.

I don't sit around "waiting" for my $5. I get on with life and occasionally check my "wall of rebates" (currently at 1) for rebates I haven't received. After the due date passes (I write it on the sheet), I follow up.

But with regards to the "free after rebate", it's free to you, but not free to the manufacturer (who usually offers the rebates). The store has already paid them for the item. If Kodak offers a rebate, stores stock up, buy from Kodak. Kodak sells X items for $X. when the 0.1% of rebates come in, they pay them, possibly lowering their income on those items to $0.99X.

But this thread is about chumpUSA. We know they suck and we all have our reasons for them sucking. Some are ignorant managers, uninformed employees, and sometimes failure to receive a rebate.

Buy at Apple.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

SillyMe
Jul 13, 2003, 05:21 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to include in my earlier post that ChumpUSA also never sent me a $100 rebate for a 17" monitor I bought. I sent it in on time, and everything was accurate (triple-checked it).

Well, no check, no money, no nothing. When I tried to call, I never could get a person.

I finally gave up and decided never ever EVER to give them my business again.

Whither and die ChumpUSA!

saxman
Jul 13, 2003, 07:57 PM

We don't have compusa here. I think I'm glad.....................!
Scotty
NZ

Classic 4/40
LC575 36/330
PB 5300c 64/750
PB 1400c 32/1GB
PM 5500/250 AIO 128/4 "blackmac"
iMac original G3 233 288/6
Power Mac G4 400 768/10+18
iMac G5 2.0 17" 1GB/180GB

I told my Dad that I wanted to be a musician when I grew up, and he said "Son, you can't have it both ways."

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2003, 12:16 PM

I have never bought a computer at CompUSA. I've been there plenty of times but never bought anything. I am always frustrated by the poor mac section. When you walk around any other part of the store the sales staff won't leave you alone but when you're in the Mac section you're on your own.

I went there back in September 2001 to try and pick up the 10.1 CDs. I called a couple days before to ask if they would have them and whether or not I would need to get there early so that they wouldn't run out. I was assured by the woman on the phone that they would have plenty for everybody. That was not the case. By the time I got there no CDs were left. Also in general their prices are way too high. I remember needing an ethernet hub for an emergency and the cheapest thing they had was $50. I was pissed but I didn't have much of a choice since I needed the hub right away.

Conscript
Jul 14, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
The local one to me is part of this group (Brighton, MA) and while the Apple guy is VERY useful when he's there... if he's not all I get is the rudest sales-things known to man...

Since I generally spend my time in the Mac section... I ALWAYS end up helping potential MAC buyers... and steering them away from the idiots who work there

I second that. I've gone to that Compusa a few times (I lived in Brookline and now Waltham), and they have one guy in the Mac section who knows what he's talking about, the rest are pure idiots.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2003, 11:40 AM

Yeah... some of their salespeople shouldn't be allowed to breed....

Forum Links
Forum Rules