Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Longhorn screenshots leaked!

New Longhorn screenshots leaked!
t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 07:05 PM

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_aero.asp

I am not sure how they are going to get away with this one...but I could name a few things that look very familiar to me on the pics.

Can you find the familiar pieces as well?

t

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 07:13 PM

It looks horribly inconsistent. If Microsoft is going to change the GUI every OS release, there are going to be a lot of upset users.

EDIT: 1000th post! WOO-HOO!!!

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2003, 07:16 PM

Definitely not Scottish...

Hmmmm. Syncmaster. That's a novel idea for an application.....

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 07:24 PM

Ugly.

UNexciting.

I'd rather pay bills than look at that.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
[url]Can you find the familiar pieces as well?

t
Yep. I see what you mean.

But I also noticed something else that is very typical for MS, and that's shortcuts for everything all over. And with the impression from the pictures I would say I am everything but worried. MS problem is that they don't know how to make things simple and logical IMO.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

tintub
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 07:34 PM

Here, for the first time, is a gallery of UI prototypes that I believe accurately portrays the "Aero" user interface in Longhorn.
That doesn't sound like actual screenshots to me...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 07:55 PM

The phrase, "keep it simple, stupid" keeps coming to mind the more I see of Longhorn. MS just doesn't "get it".

You'd be amazed at the number of calls we get each day with customers asking, "Can you help me get out of this Windows HELL?" or, "Can I trade my Dell in for a Mac?".

People in this area are switching in droves, it's amazing.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by tintub:
That doesn't sound like actual screenshots to me...
It's pictures from the prototype of Longhorn. The author is trying to give a idea on how the final GUI will end up like. He base it on that Luna from early on looked about like the final or something like that.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
People in this area are switching in droves, it's amazing.
Seriously? Wow, I haven't heard about such thing. But that is good news. Or was that sarcasm?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 09:03 PM

You'd think with all the viruses and worms right now, people would be seriously starting to look at this platform. I'm not out an about, but many of my friends seem really sort of tired of dealing with all the crap that is windows.

forkies
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 09:04 PM

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/aero-04.png

I don't thing Windows needs a new UI.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 09:18 PM

I thought fruity flavors went out with the iMac?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by forkies:
<snip>

I don't thing Windows needs a new UI.
Hehe, nice touch

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Seriously? Wow, I haven't heard about such thing. But that is good news. Or was that sarcasm?
No, it's true. We can't keep a Mac of any type in stock. "We don't care what it is, we're just damned tired of this Windows bullshit!" "Here's some money, give me something that doesn't bombard us with advertisments and contract a new viris every day!"

Cool.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 10:37 PM

I think Microsoft is trying to be OVER comprehensive. Sometimes people understand with pictures instead of a ton of words. It's like In Safari it doesn't say "Back" "Forward" "Reload" and "Add Bookmark". You just understand, ya know? I think in iSync, if the words weren't there like "Sync" and ".mac", the graphics are so intuitive, it would work without the words...Windows isn't like that. It seems just over complicated.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 10:46 PM

using windows xp is like going to a toystore and buying a barbie doll when on the next isle over you could get a g.i. joe action figure
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 10:48 PM

Heh, this thread is funny.

I can feel it in my bones that the PR staff that works for MS (where ever they are now, the pr staff, not MS) are laughing the night away reading posts like this. Why? Because in making such a big stink about their UI plans, your only propogating their whole endeavour! It's genius marketing really, and you all fell straight into it. Then again, years of Apple's PR may of induced this.

Secondly, (and I'm willingly giving into what I just stated above) I like the Aero design (from what I can see). I see it as a different variation on what Aqua could of been, and as such, I see it leading to more competition, which is exactly what this market...hell, this economy needs now.

My $.02.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2003, 11:06 PM

I think this new "interface," and Aqua, are hideous. "...seems strangely like trying to nail jell-o to a wall." It's like working through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory, big gigantic buttons and glowing this and pulsing that. Yuck. In their attempts to improve their interface, Apple and Microsoft are creating all kinds of stupid addons that have no function, and the result is a harder to use system. At least Apple has shown some restraint in the "stupid gadgets" department, but they could do to lose some of the animations and blurry poopstains that exist in their interface. Personally, my interface of choice takes second seat to the application that's being used. When you're not using it, it doesn't glow or pulse or bounce or blink. It exists in the background, waiting to be used, like any well-behaved 100%-use thing should. Animations and bouncy things are cool for like 10 minutes, or until you want to get some real work done with no distractions. Maybe I'm weird like that.

Back on topic, though. That looks like a cross between Watercolor and Brushed Metal. Yuck. I've seen Playskool toys with less garish buttons and crap. It's a step up from Luna, however.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 12:17 AM

It looks like a caricature of OS X. Even the blue desktop pattern reminds me of X's default desktop.

It's almost lickable. Except for the hairy interface - the sliders and buttons are frickin huge. Same with the dialogue boxes... It all seems like clunky overkill.

But it's not totally gawdaweful looking, it's a little 'prettier' than whatever the hell they have out now. It's just an OS X rip off in my eyes, so I'm flattered. But they could make their OS plated in gold and it'll still suck.
Microsoft.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2003, 12:31 AM

Anything's better than Luna, right? Riiiiight?

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 12:48 AM

Aero is such an original name. I knew that Apple screwed up with Aqua, they should have named it Aero instead!!!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
You'd think with all the viruses and worms right now, people would be seriously starting to look at this platform. I'm not out an about, but many of my friends seem really sort of tired of dealing with all the crap that is windows.
MacOS is not immune to virii. It's just that virus developers, like most software developers, don't see the point in going through the effort to write code for only 5-10% of the market. If 90-95% of the market were using Macs, you'd see just as many virii targeting MacOS as presently target Windows, and holes in the OS would likely become more apparent as well.

Personally, I hope the Mac market NEVER exceeds 5-10%.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 01:42 AM

Dear God. And we bitch about brushed metal!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

forkies
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 03:29 AM

This guy (Thurrott) is such a whore to microsoft that it makes me sick

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
MacOS is not immune to virii. It's just that virus developers, like most software developers, don't see the point in going through the effort to write code for only 5-10% of the market. If 90-95% of the market were using Macs, you'd see just as many virii targeting MacOS as presently target Windows, and holes in the OS would likely become more apparent as well.

Personally, I hope the Mac market NEVER exceeds 5-10%.
Thats not entirely true. The main reason is that windows is so insecure, it takes very little effort to write a virus for it. OS X on the other hand is extremely secure, and it would take tons and tons of effort to write a virus that could somehow take over/take advantage of it.

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
Thats not entirely true. The main reason is that windows is so insecure, it takes very little effort to write a virus for it. OS X on the other hand is extremely secure, and it would take tons and tons of effort to write a virus that could somehow take over/take advantage of it.
That is unless of course you happen to work for Apple, and have an upper hand on knowing all the exploits which are in the pipe for patching.

Hate Jobs cause he gives you ****? Ruin his day with a virus.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 04:00 AM

Yeah but even Apple's security holes are minor. Hold down a letter for 5 minutes and your screen saver will crash and someone can get to your desktop. Screen saver passwords are only meant to protect your computer from your kids or other family members. Security experts all say that once someone gets in physical contact with your computer, security is irrelevant. What sucks is we have to endure the same crap. When a virus strikes, everyone gets their ports blocked, not just windows users.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2003, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
Yeah but even Apple's security holes are minor.
And the last known exploit was patched via Software Update after what, sixty hours?

-s*

sleepyrenderer
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Hmmmm. Syncmaster. That's a novel idea for an application.....

Woah, you're right! They ripped off their own free ActiveSync application (which predates iSync by years)... damn them.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2003, 06:08 AM

Someone should write a "BuyAMac" virus and send THAT around the world!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 22, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
using windows xp is like going to a toystore and buying a barbie doll when on the next isle over you could get a g.i. joe action figure
How come a small figurine for a girl is a "doll" while the same thing for a boy is an "action figure"?

tooki

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 12:17 PM

Wow, Microsoft is ony two years from releasing an OS on "par" (gotta use quotes there, as parity is going to be ever-elusive in the interface realm) with the one we've had for two years, now.

How will Apple ever catch up??

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 01:17 PM

Alright, so they have Quicktime styled buttons...they stole the iTunes icons...

I am not even going to get into a discussion about Aero...but they even have an 80GHz Xeon chip?

WTF?!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by sleepyrenderer:
Woah, you're right! They ripped off their own free ActiveSync application (which predates iSync by years)... damn them.
[Mac zealot]roger that, commander Jobs.

we have the suspect in sight.

nobody escapes the reality distortion field on my watch.[/Mac zealot]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:

Reality distortion field joke is getting old

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2003, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by t_hah:
[B]Alright, so they have Quicktime styled buttons...they stole the iTunes icons...

I am not even going to get into a discussion about Aero...but they even have an 80GHz Xeon chip?

WTF?!

and 20GB of RAM

So they are predicting that between now and when Longhorn arrives Processor speed would increase to 80GHz but some how people would have a lower Memory, Processor speed relationship than they have today ????

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2003, 05:08 PM

Yo, seriously. Windows got it:

You can now go -> Settings (control panel) -> Hardware & devices -> "Find your PC" -> "Browse files and folder for this computer".

I am glad to see they know how to make it easier for the users. Yikes!

Oh, and 80 GHz Xeon processor. Damn, we are domed.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2003, 05:15 PM

I'm unsubscribing from the thread now, and the reason, i thought i'd share with everyone, is simply that I just don't care about windows. I'm a Mac Tech and I didn't even know about these windows virii that are going around until the other day. I just don't care.

SillyMe
Aug 22, 2003, 05:16 PM

cough RIPOFF cough!

christ
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
How come a small figurine for a girl is a "doll" while the same thing for a boy is an "action figure"?

tooki
'cos the dolls ain't allowed to see any action!
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

SillyMe
Aug 22, 2003, 05:25 PM

I installed three updates/patches to my WinXP box this week. My XP box does one thing: Battlefield 1942. My Mac does the rest.

My MacOS X box was updated/patched zero times this week.

My brother called me yesterday. He is resinstalling XP Pro on his Dell again (for the forth time). He got the computer in January.

It truly is madness in the Windows world. And the real kicker is that people put up with it to save a few bucks.

/walks away shaking head

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:

*LOOOOOL* -That was GREAT!!!

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Aug 22, 2003, 06:29 PM

Because G.I Joe has always been for guys. Just like video games, there are only a few girls that like it.

The start menu looks like it is going to be the Apple Menu and that sidebar the Dock.
It will alienate users of course because people don't like two places to start from. Perhaps the other one will have an End on it.
A good feature to add to Longhorn would be a better way to log out. In Mac OS X when you click logout your logged out. The same thing for shut down. If you leave the shut down dialog box open it will shut down in 2 minutes. It is so very simple.
It says 80ghz RAM by the way, and how come they aren't showing the future Power Mac G4 rip-off instead?

richardjanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 07:26 PM

How about "Sync, Sanc, Sunc!!!"

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2003, 07:44 PM

I think Microsoft might as well stop calling the OS "Windows" and just give in and call it "Wizards."
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
I think Microsoft might as well stop calling the OS "Windows" and just give in and call it "Wizards."
Hey, that's actually a good idea, what with all the Lord of the Rings movies and all.
Wizards RQ: The power is yours to behold!�

vsurfer
Senior User
Aug 22, 2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_aero.asp

I am not sure how they are going to get away with this one...but I could name a few things that look very familiar to me on the pics.

Can you find the familiar pieces as well?

t
Don't worry it's still a whore's breakfast!
An advertising driven breakfast at that.

You gotta love the opportunity seemingly built in for or either themselves or other commercial partners to advertise within the OS. Like TV.

On another level one worries -- will the OS arena end up like commercial TV versus public TV?

Still, Just looking at it makes me want to vom! When I reinstall my terminally crashed Win2K on VPC, I won't be tempted to buy an XP os pack. Har har!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2003, 10:43 PM

Seems like MS is pouring a lot of the "task-based user interface concept" into Longhorn. But I still don't see how far they can take this away from the desktop metaphor which "Apple and the rest" still use today.

One thing that caught my attention was their mention of "Libraries" for documents (via WinFS). Sounds a lot like Piles to me. It would be nice to see how MS can take that, though, as Apple hasn't mentioned Piles in Panther yet. WinFS + NTFS is a welcome improvement, in my opinion.

JasonQG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 11:03 PM

I'm not sure what to make of this until I use it, but that volume control thing looks sweet.

Visnaut
Senior User
Aug 22, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
I think Microsoft is trying to be OVER comprehensive. Sometimes people understand with pictures instead of a ton of words. It's like In Safari it doesn't say "Back" "Forward" "Reload" and "Add Bookmark". You just understand, ya know? I think in iSync, if the words weren't there like "Sync" and ".mac", the graphics are so intuitive, it would work without the words...Windows isn't like that. It seems just over complicated.
Exactly what I think. Using Windows is becoming more and more like a game of 20 questions. 'Would you like to do this?' 'Would you like to do that?'.

Sure, it might be customizeable and easy to remove such annoyances, but when you have to deal with it everyday on public school or work computers where its an unchangeable default, it gets real old, real fast.

On the other hand, I find Mac OS X to be less in-your-face. Things are made intuitive, rather than trying to explain or unfold the process of something unintuitive.

Just some observations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules