Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Over-zealous mods.

Over-zealous mods.
Tiresias
Jan 14, 2007, 04:42 AM

It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother went out and left my sister in charge. As soon as that car pulled out of the drive, my sister became a 12 year old female Adolf Hitler.

I mean, it's a simple case of semantics. A thread about how the iPhone will influence the next iPods no more takes "iPhone" as its primary subject than a dissertation about Dadaism and the post-war avant garde is a dissertation about World War I.

This trigger-happy thread-locking has to stop.

It was also suggested that if it were an iPod thread (and it was) it should be in the iPod forum. I refute that. The iPod forum should be for trouble shooting. Future Apple product speculations is assuredly lounge material.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Peter, are you going to close this thread down too? I mean, it's about a thread about an iPod thread not being an iPhone thread, but it has the world iPhone in it—so, hadn't you better move it to an iPhone thread?

I realise a lot of your friends are going to fly to your defence here. But that doesn't alter my point, which is a valid one, even if no one else cares: A mod's main goal should be to lubricate the discussions in these forums, not stymie them with persnickety thread closures.
( Last edited by Tiresias; Jan 14, 2007 at 04:48 AM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
It was also suggested that if it were an iPod thread (and it was) it should be in the iPod forum. I refute that. The iPod forum should be for trouble shooting. Future Apple product speculations is assuredly lounge material.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 14, 2007, 08:10 AM

Tiresias  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking View Post
You are wrong.
All right then, correct me: Justify Peter's decision to close my "How will the iPhone change the iPod" thread.

And as for you, Kevin—you "Clinically Insane" MacNNers need to get outdoors once in a while.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 14, 2007, 08:53 AM

Because the thread was redundant.

And so was this one really.

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...t-hand-lounge/

Tiresias  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Because the thread was redundant.

And so was this one really.

I will quote myself, seeing as you have evidently "skip-read" my post:

I mean, it's a simple case of semantics. A thread about how the iPhone will influence the next iPods no more takes "iPhone" as its primary subject than a dissertation about Dadaism and the post-war avant garde is a dissertation about World War I.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 14, 2007, 08:59 AM

Tiresias there is one thread about just the iPhone in here. It has no context what-so-ever. In all actuality all posts should have went into it.

And no, I didn't skip anything. I just don't agree with you.

There is a difference.

And you are gonna have a HARD TIME getting ANYONE to believe Peter of all people is a over-zealous mod.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 09:02 AM

wow my first "x mod sucks"
where x = $me

woot!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 09:04 AM

Peter, are you going to close this thread down too? I mean, it's about a thread about an iPod thread not being an iPhone thread, but it has the world iPhone in it—so, hadn't you better move it to an iPhone thread?

I realise a lot of your friends are going to fly to your defence here. But that doesn't alter my point, which is a valid one, even if no one else cares: A mod's main goal should be to lubricate the discussions in these forums, not stymie them with persnickety thread closures.
So people are whining about all the iPhone threads, so i ask you to move your discussion to the 'offical' iPhone general thread in the lounge, you don't -- instead you start shouting and screaming. Other people post in the topic agreeing you've posted it in the wrong thread/topic.
You openly admit that the topic was more about the iPod than anything else.
Why can't all iPhone discussion go in the main thread?

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 14, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Why can't all iPhone discussion go in the main thread?
I think certain people feel if they make their OWN NEW topic their "post" will garner more attention.

But in the end, that just gets annoying. If what you have to say is interesting enough to make a topic, people will respond to it in the regular thread as well.

Tiresias  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Tiresias there is one thread about just the iPhone in here. It has no context what-so-ever. In all actuality all posts should have went into it.

And no, I didn't skip anything. I just don't agree with you.

There is a difference.
Neither you, nor that Scotttheking guy, seem to be able to refute my argument with logic, but instead repeat silly ipsedixitisms like "You are wrong" and "I don't agree with you."

But I intend to hold your feet to the fire:

CONVINCE ME THAT A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE IPOD SHOULD BE SPATCHCOCKED ONTO AN IPHONE THREAD.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 09:14 AM

Neither you, nor that Scotttheking guy, seem to be able to refute my argument with logic, but instead repeat silly ipsedixitisms like "You are wrong" and "I don't agree with you."

But I intend to hold your feet to the fire:

CONVINCE ME THAT A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE IPOD SHOULD BE SPATCHCOCKED ONTO AN IPHONE THREAD.
Convince me that it should go in the lounge?

Tiresias  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 09:15 AM

So people are whining about all the iPhone threads [...] You openly admit that the topic was more about the iPod than anything else.
People are whining about all the iPhone threads... I openly admit that my thread was more about the iPod... hm... something doesn't compute...

Peter, it is popularly said that we humans only use around ten per cent of our brains. But you are living testimony to the possibility that for some it is markedly less than that.

Tiresias  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 09:17 AM

Convince me that it should go in the lounge?
Thread topic: "How will the iPhone change the iPod" + Predicted respose: A lot of future iPod speculations = Lounge.

Otherwise, disabuse me of my ignorance. If you succeed, I will say: "I am an complete idiot, and Peter is right" ten times while standing on my head.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 09:18 AM

People are whining about all the iPhone threads... I openly admit that my thread was more about the iPod... hm... something doesn't compute...

Peter, it is popularly said that we humans only use around ten per cent of our brains. But you are living testimony to the possibility that for some it is markedly less than that.
"people aren't whining about all the iPhone topics"

Oh and I'm using less than 10% of my brain, and yet you're the one screaming insults at me.

Here it is:
If you want to discuss the iPhone, why can't you discuss it either in the lounge or, heck, in the iPhone iPod thread.
I think it'd make sense if you wanted to discuss the iPod *and* the iphone, you'd post in the latter thread.
But what would I know, all you're doing is insulting me

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 14, 2007, 09:21 AM

People weren't whining. People had valid complaints. You don't like those complaints so you revert to belittling them by referring to them as "whines"

That's dishonest.

tsk tsk.

OreoCookie
Jan 14, 2007, 09:21 AM

That was uncalled for. It's impressive that you manage to offend at least two mods in one thread with such a low post count.

There was a phletora of iPhone-related threads and we had to merge them -- and yours was one of them. Get over it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Tiresias  (op)
Jan 14, 2007, 09:25 AM

"people aren't whining about all the iPhone topics"

Oh and I'm using less than 10% of my brain, and yet you're the one screaming insults at me.

Here it is:
If you want to discuss the iPhone, why can't you discuss it either in the lounge or, heck, in the iPhone iPod thread.
I think it'd make sense if you wanted to discuss the iPod *and* the iphone, you'd post in the latter thread.
But what would I know, all you're doing is insulting me
I'm annoyed Peter because you took a Draconian line and killed a thread that was kind of important to me. Not life-or-death, but still, it mattered. You see, I was genuinely interested in what this community—which knows a lot more about all things Apple than I do—had to say about the future of the iPod. I want to buy a new iPod, but if an iPhone-esque iPod is on it's way, I'd prefer to wait. Obviously.

But all right—I am sorry for insulting you. You are welcome to shove that apology in my face, but there, I've said it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2007, 09:49 AM

lets end this on a high and use this thread as a way of reference as to where to post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules