Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How much do you spend on your clothes?

View Poll Results: My monthly clothes budget is...
Poll Options:
I spend ~£50 ($100) a month 16 votes (22.86%)
I spend ~£100 ($200) a month 1 votes (1.43%)
I spend ~£200 ($400) a month 2 votes (2.86%)
I spend ~£400 ($800) a month 3 votes (4.29%)
I spend over £500 ($1000) a month 2 votes (2.86%)
I buy the cheapest clothes, when i need to. 41 votes (58.57%)
My parents/spouse buys my clothes. 5 votes (7.14%)
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll
How much do you spend on your clothes?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 02:42 PM

Just had a busy day shopping, noticed this thread and got me wondering about yo' rags.

I spend about £300 a month on clothes. I'm a bit of a brand/quality whore though, so ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 02:54 PM

I voted on 'cheapest clothes,' but it not always the case. Occasionally I'll splurge and buy some stuff if I can find it on sale. I don't spend too much though.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 02:56 PM

A lot.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 02:58 PM

rickey939 is dapper.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 03:00 PM

I would tend to judge it on a per year scale. Probably a bit over $100 every summer and winter. (Occassional dress clothes purchases not included). Clothes just aren't something I spend much money on. My shoes are the most expensive things I wear.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2007, 03:03 PM

I probably spend $100 per year on clothes.

I've never been into 'image'. I wear what feels comfortable and for me that's my several year old collection of t-shirts, jean shorts. And some plain ol' socks + undies and a comfortable pair of sneakers.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 03:07 PM

Quite a bit, but my mother pays for them... I couldn't put a number on it. I just buy what I like without looking at the price.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 03:12 PM

I don't spend a lot, but I do spend for quality stuff when I buy dress shirts, and pants. I also never throw anything out, except when I move. I moved last week, and gave away five large garbage bags full of shirts and pants that no longer fit, and some of which I haven't worn in years! I still have, and wear, over 20 pairs of shoes.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't say I spend on a per month basis, I just buy them as I need them/want them. I like to wear name brand clothes, so when I do buy I'm usually looking at over a few hundred each time. Jeans are just so expensive nowadays

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2007, 03:31 PM

I like buying new t-shirts.
ice

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 03:32 PM

Where's the option for "I don't buy clothes"? I bought all my clothes like 4-6 years ago. If I have anything newer it's because I got it as a gift. All my pants are starting to fall apart and tear and rip...but other than that, my shirts just aren't wearing out. I don't like replacing something that works just to look cooler, I think it's kinda irresponsible, so I'll keep wearing my current stuff til it gets really ratty, or I need better work clothes.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
I don't spend a lot, but I do spend for quality stuff when I buy dress shirts, and pants. I also never throw anything out, except when I move. I moved last week, and gave away five large garbage bags full of shirts and pants that no longer fit, and some of which I haven't worn in years! I still have, and wear, over 20 pairs of shoes.
That's a shitty thing to do man. I hate it when people like you do things like that. You should have donated them all to a goodwill or st. vinnies. Part of the reason our environment is getting so crappy is because of people's 'throw away' mentality. If you don't want them anymore, DONATE THEM. Don't just throw **** away.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 03:35 PM

My parents generally buy my clothes when I need new clothes. We don't spend that much on clothes really.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
That's a shitty thing to do man. I hate it when people like you do things like that. You should have donated them all to a goodwill or st. vinnies. Part of the reason our environment is getting so crappy is because of people's 'throw away' mentality. If you don't want them anymore, DONATE THEM. Don't just throw **** away.
Uhhh...did you misread the part where he said he never throws anything out?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2007, 03:55 PM

Um... try reading his post again—it actually says that he never throws anything out, and that he gave away all that stuff, not threw it out.

I spend about £300 a month on clothes.
What the?!? That’s half a month’s wages for me!

I spend perhaps 300 Danish kroner a month on clothes, tops. That’s about £30. And I have far too much stuff in my wardrobe as it is (just had to spend £50 on a second chest of drawers just to be able to stuff it all in there!).

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 03:58 PM

It sounds like he did donate them.

edit: seems I'm a bit slow to reply

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 4, 2007, 03:59 PM

Oh. Woops. I read it as 'threw away 4-5 bags of clothes'. My mistake.

mindwaves
Feb 4, 2007, 04:02 PM

I also buy clothes when needed which come to be around $200 a year or so. Except when I need a new dress shirt or suit or new shoes. But I should really start dressing more properly nowadays....

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
rickey939 is dapper.
w00t.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 04:10 PM

70% of my clothes come from WalMart. I have a lot of shirts, but I bought a bunch of the button up or cowboy snap style shirts when they were available. I'd say I have approx. 100 shirts, but 50 of them are new and in storage. I'm not rich like some of you guys. I can't afford to spend $600/month on clothes. If I had Bill Gates money, it wouldn't be a problem. You do realize that is over $7k/year. That's a lot of money. What do you do, throw them away after you wear them 3 times? I didn't realize they paid moderators so well.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
70% of my clothes come from WalMart. I have a lot of shirts, but I bought a bunch of the button up or cowboy snap style shirts when they were available. I'd say I have approx. 100 shirts, but 50 of them are new and in storage. I'm not rich like some of you guys. I can't afford to spend $600/month on clothes. If I had Bill Gates money, it wouldn't be a problem. You do realize that is over $7k/year. That's a lot of money. What do you do, throw them away after you wear them 3 times?
100 shirts? At $15 a shirt (average) that's $1500. That's still a lot of money...

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 04:28 PM

I rarely buy clothes, but I suppose it might even out to nearly $100 a month when factoring in shoes and the odd coat or suit. In general I get a lot of milage out of my clothes and the only things I buy with any regularity are shirts, underwear and socks.

But when I buy, I don't buy super cheap or crappy. I spend wisely on sale items at stores I like or the occasional splurge on the perfect fitting, stylish garment. For the perfect pair of trousers I'll go higher than with shirts.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
100 shirts? At $15 a shirt (average) that's $1500. That's still a lot of money...
Yup, but they will last me . . . oh I don't know, maybe 10 years. I had to get them while they carried them. Walmart occasionally carries certain products one time and then never again. I have not seen the shirts that I bought in Walmart in over 3 years.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 04:33 PM

I gave them away, as in donated. Of course, you, in your usual way, jump to conclusions. Instead of simply asking, "Why didn't you donate them," you have to accuse people of things that they didn't do. And you wonder why you always find yourself in situations.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 04:50 PM

I am aware of what I spend, but I have never tried to add it up. In the past few years I spent a lot buying shirts for work, 2 new suits, and some new ties. I am curious to know what it adds up to so starting this year I'm going to keep track. So far I have spent $30 on 2 ties and a dress shirt.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 04:51 PM

I probably only spend about 600 a year on clothes. Last year was more cause I had more money. When I do go shopping I find all the great sales, I've actually trained myself never to look on the walls because those aren't the sales racks. Besides if you spend one or two more hours shopping you can save easily half of what you otherwise would have spent.
I never get complaints on how I dress, in fact I typically get complements, a couple of my lady friends keep saying how much they love this really soft sweater I picked up recently.

I actually also take my friend Jeremy shopping about once a year, this year he let me spend a whole 260 bucks, and we got him 4 pair of jeans, 4 dress shirts, 2 sweaters, and 2 T-shirts. And that's Canadian dollars. Best part was that after the hair cut and the new threads, a lot of ladies started noticing how hot he was hahaha.

Cold Warrior
Feb 4, 2007, 05:12 PM

Wife buys them, with my input. <US$50/mo.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 05:15 PM

I gave them away, as in donated. Of course, you, in your usual way, jump to conclusions. Instead of simply asking, "Why didn't you donate them," you have to accuse people of things that they didn't do. And you wonder why you always find yourself in situations.
ya need to pay attention son.

i spend roughly 80-100 dollars a year for clothes. i usually just keep my clothes until they get torn or whatever. being on a college student budget at one of the country's most expensive private schools is insane.

Alex

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Uhhh...did you misread the part where he said he never throws anything out?
Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Um... try reading his post again—it actually says that he never throws anything out, and that he gave away all that stuff, not threw it out.
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
It sounds like he did donate them.
Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
ya need to pay attention son.
You're a liiiiiittle late to the party.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 05:23 PM

I was in school the past few years, which means I can be cheap and wear anything I want, which meant I didn't spend too much. I just went into the job market for at least the next 6 months, and after that I may hit up law school, which meant I need some nicer rags with which to clothe myself. Fortunately, Boxing Day sales were a glorious moment. I got 4 quality ties for about $80, three nice dress pants (black, brown, greyish) for about $105, three fancy dress shirts (white and grey cuffed, blue button) for $45 (!), and one black dress shirt that I blew $35 on because it was 60% off at The Bay and it makes me look far more prosperous than I actually am.

But yeah, I have no idea how someone can spend 600 pounds a month on clothes. That's truly commendable. I really like suits and looking good, but unfortunately I do not have the money (or, more specifically any money) to spend on such things.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

lol, oh gossie, you so misread my post

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
lol, oh gossie, you so misread my post
You were chastising KarlG for getting mad at Rob. You're late to the Rob/KarlG-related party. Or something.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 06:09 PM

brands are for stupid people.

when i need clothes i feel the material first, then look at the design and then at the price tag. if it fits and feels like it's worth it i'll buy it.

I went for a pair of blue jeans last week : 90 euro's for a pair of pre worn out jeans ????????
so I spent 30 euro's on three second hand pairs of jeans instead I'm so fashionable !
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 06:14 PM

I just go with burlap. Helps with the lice.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 06:29 PM

I buy a lot of button down shirts, preferrably ones that don't have much of a pattern on them. Also, I like to wear a lot of V-neck sweaters over collared shirts during the winter.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I like buying new t-shirts.
I've calmed down a lot, but I went through a stage where I'd buy pretty much every new Threadless t-shirt that came out. I don't really have space for any more right now. When I sort that out maybe I'll continue the t-shirt buying.

Other than that, I don't buy that many clothes. A while ago I bought a lot of clothes very often. I amassed a lot of t-shirts and shoes and now I'm wearing them all. I don't have a need to buy more.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2007, 06:38 PM

I budgeted $750/year for clothes, which will likely be enough. I don't excessively spend, but clothes do wear out. I haven't bought a new pair of jeans in 3 years, and most pairs are 5 years old. They'll all be replaced soon. Also, I need to buy slacks / shirts for work, which will cost. The big one is an overcoat that I need, that'll be several hundred Still, I try not to spend too much.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 06:39 PM

I buy when I think I need them, but I don't buy the cheapest. I'm guessing I spend $3000 a year.

andi*pandi
Feb 4, 2007, 09:11 PM

I go on sprees 2-3 times a year usually at the change of season when I want something I'm not sick of for the summer, or when I notice all my sweaters are ratty. I don't have that much time to shop monthly or comb the sales racks for the rare buy. Still, those sprees are only about $200 each, and the store sends discounts to cardmembers. You boys and your clothes!

I have to buy a whole bunch of new maternity clothes soon though. And those are never (rarely) on sale.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I've calmed down a lot, but I went through a stage where I'd buy pretty much every new Threadless t-shirt that came out. I don't really have space for any more right now. When I sort that out maybe I'll continue the t-shirt buying.

Other than that, I don't buy that many clothes. A while ago I bought a lot of clothes very often. I amassed a lot of t-shirts and shoes and now I'm wearing them all. I don't have a need to buy more.
I've got 4 Threadless T's, wish I had 100 more. I hate having to take a picture of myself every time I buy a shirt from them, but I'm frugal like that. ; )
ice

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 09:26 PM

I remember the days when finding a truly excellent tee shirt actually took serious work and made you feel special for having one nobody else did. I have never been able to buy one off the internet. Takes all the fun away.

That said those tees are amazing.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 09:26 PM

Hmmm...I make enough money to shop big, but I can't resolve myself to spending $40 on a pair of jeans when there are kids in other countries who barely have clothes to cover themselves. It just doesn't seem right.

I don't usually spend more than $20 on shoes, $10 on jeans, or $7 on tops. Call me cheap. I wear brand names, too. I just shop the clearance racks at Kohl's and the Gap Outlet. I'll spend $35 on a pair of Born shoes, because they're so damn comfortable and last pretty much forever. I get high quality clothes and will buy a bunch of stuff at one time and then not shop for awhile. I just spent $100 in the last week on stuff because none of my jeans fit me anymore (lost weight...go me).

Oh, and I spend a little more on underwear because Victoria's Secret has the only stuff that actually fits my tiny ass.

Oh, and my boyfriend's sister got me a Threadless tshirt for christmas. It's got two cars in a head-on collision with the caption "CTRL+Z". Awesome.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2007, 07:41 AM

Man.. I wish I could spend as little as $10 on jeans...
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 11:00 AM

Sometimes I'll spring for the $15 ones.

I watched a TiVoed episode of Big Spender on A&E yesterday. It was about a girl who was addicted to spending. She was $40,000 in debt and had a shopping addiction.

One of her tasks on her new budget plan was to inventory all her shoes and clothes. She had over $600,000 in designer-label clothes and shoes and accessories (designer as in Manolo Blahnik, Coco Chanel, Dolce & Gabanna, Marc Jacobs...). She didn't even know what she had because she'd collected so much. Most of the stuff still had the tags on it. It was sick.

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 5, 2007, 11:02 AM

It's an addiction just like anything else.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Hmmm...I make enough money to shop big, but I can't resolve myself to spending $40 on a pair of jeans
$40?? what is that? shopping big?!

lol

sorry
ice

zerostar
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 11:28 AM

Wow interesting to see such frugal people, I don't spend much myself, I get away with Polo's (St Johns Bay usually under $25/shirt) Cago Khakis (Gap, Old Navy Perhaps $50/pair) and Skate Shoes (Vans Old School ~~$35) I probably spend Under $500/year on my attire, I usually wear the same thing outside of work with just a t-shirt. I do like my Silvertab jeans on occasion and those can cost up to $75 a pair IIRC.

I have been lucky with job-opportunities. I SHOULD be wearing the shirt/tie/pants business type look at my job, for" my position but I have been lucky to get away with what I wear, that may end eventually.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 12:27 PM

$40?? what is that? shopping big?!

lol

sorry
Yeah.....I don't even think about the $125 designer jeans at Von Maur or the $300 jeans at Saks. That's ridiculous. Even $40 is too much for me for any single article of clothing. I avoid paying retail prices for anything whenever possible. The only real exception is when I buy stuff from IKEA.

I did spend $120 on a really nice pinstriped wool suit from Ann Taylor Loft, but even that was like 75% off. I still dress alright and buy decent brand names...I just make sure to pay the lowest price possible. I just bought a really nice pair of Lee cords at the VF outlet for $5.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 12:59 PM

I've got 4 Threadless T's, wish I had 100 more. I hate having to take a picture of myself every time I buy a shirt from them, but I'm frugal like that. ; )
I think I have around 50something but I can't bring myself to take a photo of myself wearing them. I'd get a few free if I did it, but I just can't bring myself to take the photos.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I buy when I think I need them, but I don't buy the cheapest. I'm guessing I spend $3000 a year.
After thinking about it a bit, I'm probably closer to $2000. I usually buy a suit, shoes 2x, but the hiking clothing is what kills me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules