Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Linux/Unix headless servers. GPU question

Linux/Unix headless servers. GPU question
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 07:49 AM

So, I've got to make a very quiet headless server, using a Zalman TNN case.

Until now, I've always bought pre-made servers which already state "runs headless" and "suitable for Linux", out of the box. Stuff like the IBM x-Series.

The questions: Will all graphics cards allow Linux/Unix to run headless? Is it down to OS rather than GPU?

If the answer to the above is "no", can anyone recommend any GPUs which will work? The system will be command line only (when the monitor is plugged in for initial config), so no need for 512 Mb of GPU memory.

While I'm at it, any recommendations on other bits? MoBo? NICs?

Thanks chaps.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2007, 08:02 AM

surely all graphic cards can be ran headless -- it just means there is no monitor plugged in?
I'd try and get a motherboard with onboard VGA, nvidia usually play nice with Linux -- remember you won't want 3d acceleration and crap so...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
surely all graphic cards can be ran headless -- it just means there is no monitor plugged in?
I dunno. I'm that far out of the loop when it comes to PC stuff!

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I'd try and get a motherboard with onboard VGA, nvidia usually play nice with Linux -- remember you won't want 3d acceleration and crap so...
I'm not sure how this would play with the Zalman's cooling systems. AFAIK, there's a heat pipe specifically for the GPU, in a specific place.

I'm shooting in the dark here, so I'll investigate that anyways. Ta dude.

OreoCookie
Apr 2, 2007, 09:31 AM

Most server motherboards have on-bord graphics which is usually more than sufficient for a terminal window. You can build a server without graphics card, because (pretty much) all server have an RS232 (serial) port for external terminals (which is basically a keyboard and a screen).

What kind of system do you need? What do you want it to do? For some duties, a (used) Mac mini might do the trick (e. g. if you don't need a lot of storage).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
What kind of system do you need? What do you want it to do? For some duties, a (used) Mac mini might do the trick (e. g. if you don't need a lot of storage).
It'll be an email server for 4 discreet IPs, hence my need to build something with card slots.

4 x ethernet port.
RAID 1 or 5, 80ish Gb.
P4
Couple of Gb RAM.

Needs to be stupendously silent, as I'm losing the possibility of a server closet and it'll have to sit in a corner of the dining room (I'm moving - losing a bit of house space but gaining a sea/mountain view). I thought about rotating a Mac Pro (+ server NIC) out to that job, but the Mac Pro is still a bit too loud for the intended space. I even thought about 4 minis, but the software (CommuniGate) cost would quadruple (if it's on the same machine one copy can serve multiple IPs/NICs, if it's on separate machines you need separate copies) - and there's already two minis destined for that corner of the room, another four would be a little messy.

Since I'm still completely dumb when it comes to server stuff, it'll be a "build, configure, forget" kind of setup, with the install wizards on SuSE and the HTML interface on Communigate doing most of the work (thus, a GPU-less machine would probably be a bit out of my depth).

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 2, 2007, 02:31 PM

You can have multiple IPs on one ethernet port.
You don't want a P4. Get the lowest end Core 2 Duo. It'll be quieter and use less power.
Raid 1 for that amount of storage.
1GB of ram is enough, but ram is cheap so more doesn't hurt.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking View Post
You can have multiple IPs on one ethernet port.
So how do I do that then?

Saetre
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 03:31 PM

Why do you need 4 NICs? Edit, Scottheking beat me to it.

I think you'll just need to add additional entries to /etc/network/interfaces for each IP. Google should be able to help you with the syntax. For a mail server you can probably get away with using an old PII with a big HD or two.
( Last edited by Saetre; Apr 2, 2007 at 03:39 PM. )
Little children are savages. They are paleolithic creatures.
- E. O. Wilson

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 03:38 PM

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

But:
If I'm going for a single NIC, then that would be because I'd be using a Mac mini for the task (I'm still not sure I like that idea). I'd only need to bind multiple IPs to a single port if I was going down this route, and those instructions don't appear to translate to OS X very well...

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. Go into that directory.
It's not there! I'm way too dumb with this stuff to be able to figure out where Apple put the appropriate directory. Like, I'm really dumb with this stuff.

If I'm going for the Zalman custom jobbie (which I think I will be), then it's a couple of quid to get a NIC with 4 ports instead of 1. So why bother going through all that hassle when, with a 4-port, the SuSE setup wizard will do it for me?

The NIC ports were never an issue. Making sure that the GPU works headless was the problem, since I had no clue that all of them should do it OK. I have vague recollections (we're talking 10 years ago) of BIOS not booting without a monitor connected, which made me a bit wary.

Saetre
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 05:32 PM

If you are using a mini, you can use system preferences to add the IPs to a single NIC. Just select "Network Port Configurations" from the "Show" pulldown menu, duplicate "built-in ethernet" a few times and pop the appropriate IP settings in each one. Or you could do it the right way and install an intel-mac friendly version of Linux.
- E. O. Wilson

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Saetre View Post
If you are using a mini, you can use system preferences to add the IPs to a single NIC. Just select "Network Port Configurations" from the "Show" pulldown menu, duplicate "built-in ethernet" a few times and pop the appropriate IP settings in each one. Or you could do it the right way and install an intel-mac friendly version of Linux.
OK, thanks. I never knew you could do that.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 2, 2007, 06:24 PM

if the gpu doesnt like headless, i think there are ways you can make the gpu think a screen if plugged on.. like wiring pins of the video out port.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 12:01 PM

Get the cheapest video card you can buy -- preferrably something with passive cooling. Get a Core 2 Duo-compatible motherboard with a passively-cooled chipset. Then get a decent heatsink with an ultra-quiet fan.

Screw the big, fancy Zalman solution with heatpipes for the GPU and whatnot.

Don't forget about the power supply and hard drives, either. In a very quiet room, the whining of a single desktop hard drive can be quite audible.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 03:25 AM

I'm sure there is good reason, but just in case you had not considered it, have you thought about co-locating or hosting a server with a provider as opposed to doing this yourself? It would be much quieter.

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
I'm sure there is good reason, but just in case you had not considered it, have you thought about co-locating or hosting a server with a provider as opposed to doing this yourself? It would be much quieter.
That's what I'm doing at the moment. Doesn't really suit me - I'd rather have the gear near me.

Saetre
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 08:04 AM

Are you doing SMTP too? That can be a pain if you are using residential internet access to host your server because some hosts like AOL will bounce all mail sent to them from your IP.
- E. O. Wilson

Doofy  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2007, 10:51 AM

Are you doing SMTP too?
Of course. How does one do an email server without doing SMTP?

That can be a pain if you are using residential internet access to host your server because some hosts like AOL will bounce all mail sent to them from your IP.
You just need the correct rDNS entries on your static IP block. Been doing it for years (with a single server).

Forum Links
Forum Rules