Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replaced 12" PB Hard Drive, and used my backup

Replaced 12" PB Hard Drive, and used my backup
Flagheimer
Nov 1, 2007, 05:05 PM

I reinstalled Panther, and then I attached my External drive with my Backup and used Disk Utility to Restore. After an hour, I restarted my PB, but now it just stays stuck at the loading screen: "Starting network file system"?

I really want to get to my Mail accounts! I forgot a few passwords, but Mail automatically has them in the app

mfbernstein
Senior User
Nov 1, 2007, 07:45 PM

Start up in verbose mode (command-v). Should give a better idea what's breaking.

Flagheimer  (op)
Nov 1, 2007, 11:13 PM

I split the HD into two partitions and for some reason it's working.

In Partition "Macintosh HD 1" I installed Panther for the very first time, then once I got through registration, I updated everything. Then I restored my backup on the Second Partition "Macintosh HD 2". Then I switched the startup to Macintosh HD 2 and It's working fine...

I'm not sure what's up. When I reformatted the HD as just one Macintosh HD before, and updated everything, I restored HD from my backup, but it wouldn't get past the loading screen.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2007, 04:41 AM

Why don't you just boot from the Panther CD and restore your drive from there without installing Panther first?

Flagheimer  (op)
Nov 2, 2007, 02:03 PM

I didn't even know I could do that... I'm new at restoring backups and such. I've always done it by reinstalling Panther.

How would I restore from the backup directly? Everytime I open disk utility when the Panther installation cd, it shows my external drive, but not the backup .sparseimage

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2007, 02:53 PM

Can you not navigate to the directory on your drive or put in the location?

Flagheimer  (op)
Nov 2, 2007, 07:48 PM

No, all I can do is see the external drive, but not select the contents. Unless I'm not clicking something I should be clicking. Basically the sparseimage isn't mounted...

Forum Links
Forum Rules