Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mountain Lion Developer Beta vs Widows 8 Consumer Preview

Mountain Lion Developer Beta vs Widows 8 Consumer Preview
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2012, 01:02 PM

This placeholder is for the comments and reviews by those who have tried either one, or both, and want to share their experiences, and learn from the rest.

People who only read their marketing materials are also welcome here.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Feb 29, 2012, 01:59 PM

Heh "Widows" 8.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2012, 02:51 PM

Ha. Widows vs. Cougars

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2012, 07:27 PM

I keep reading this as Mountain Dew Developer Preview.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2012, 04:08 AM

David Pogue likes Windows 8 Beta… on a tablet.

A Review of the Windows 8 Beta - NYTimes.com

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2012, 05:55 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm just not getting it, haven't seen enough of 8 yet, or am too quick to form an opinion, but it seems like 8 just tries to make Windows work optimally for a tablet in terms of its overall UI approach. I don't see the wisdom in consolidating the user experience between traditional computers and tablets quite to this extent - a laptop or desktop is not a tablet.

Given that so many Windows users are really resistent to change, I'm also curious to see how this will go over with them. Maybe all of the new UI stuff can be disabled so that 8 operates more like 7, that I don't know, but I'd bet that a sizable population of Windows 7 users disable these new tablet-centric features and just go on business as usual. Maybe MS doesn't care about them anyway and this release is really all about tablets.

On the other hand, if MS can get away with having a single OS that works on tablets, phones, and desktops/laptops, kudos to them I guess, this is probably a good business model in terms of being able to have a single OS team.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2012, 07:49 AM

Is anyone really going to care anyway? Anyone who wants a tablet is going to buy an iPad anyway so I don't know why Microsoft is bothering tbh. They'd probably do well to just concentrate their efforts on Office, Windows Server and Xbox, the things people are happy using.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2012, 08:54 AM

The Start Screen is the stupidest idea from Microsoft in years. Making it mandatory and removing the Start Menu is criminal.

Apple added the Launch Pad in SL, and no one uses it. It's a terrible UI for a computer. Dock + Stacks is the only thing worth using.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2012, 08:55 AM

Is anyone gonna Boot Camp the new Windows 8 CP? Let us know how it goes.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post

Apple added the Launch Pad in SL, and no one uses it. It's a terrible UI for a computer. Dock + Stacks is the only thing worth using.
Launchpad was added in Lion.

If Mountain Lion is more than a few dollars, I may be upset. The features are nice, but not fantastic. The only thing I REALLY love is Notification Center.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Launchpad was added in Lion.
Oops.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2012, 06:49 PM

Honestly ML is already super stable I've been running it as my every day OS for a while and it's super stable. Ironically I've been using nearly no new features ... if anything I'm missing my RSS feeds.

Of the announced major features:
iCloud already exists in Lion and I'm not really using it any more than I was before, though I am looking forward to Pages incorporating Documents in the Cloud (like it should have since launch!)
Messages: I've replaced Adium with it since I don't really use Adium for anything but Facebook and AIM ... though frankly I don't message people all that much anymore compared to other times in my life. Messages is kind of a reminder that I don't have as my friends as I used to.
Reminders, I use on my iPhone about once a month, it's not in the dock, some day I might start using it more but I'm glad it's there.
Notes, mostly I jot down things in Dashboard, but I'll probably try and use Notes more often, not much yet though.
Notification centre will probably be more useful once other apps use it.
Share sheets are dumb and I can't believe they made it into the major feature list!
Game Centre, who plays games on a Mac?
AirPlay mirroring I'll use once I get an Apple TV. I wish they'd allow you the ability to extend your desktop using AirPlay.
Gatekeeper I'll use some day on my parents Macs but not today, especially given that they have Macs that top out at Lion.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Oops.
But it's still a terrible UI for a desktop OS

Forum Links
Forum Rules