Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Photojournalist needs the fastest wireless cell/internet

Photojournalist needs the fastest wireless cell/internet
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 10:57 PM

I am looking to occasionally file photos to my paper from on location. The file sizes will be about 1-2MB compressed JPEG's.

What is the fastest non-sat phone type of way to get it through the net??

I will be using my Ti-book, 1ghz with a bluetooth adapter.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 12:24 AM

Gotta go with SprintPCS. Their CDMA network is almost twice as fast as T-Mo's (or Cingular's) GPRS, $10/mo for unlimited use. Downside is, their customer support for data is AWFUL, so you'll really be on your own. They also don't have any BT phones yet, so you'll have to use a cable - which means you'll need a Keyspan adapter. But it definitely works one you get everything!

Other option is T-Mobile. Their GPRS service has gotten cheaper recently, and their Wireless Data Group is 100% Mac friendly. Pick up a T68i and you're all set to go via BT, but at a slower data rate than SPCS, and you have to watch the amount of data you transfer - they don't have an unlimited use plan yet.

So - SPCS if you're really tech-savvy, and T-Mo if you're a bit uneasy. Each has their dis/advantages. But: SPCS for speed, and T-Mo for ease-of-use.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2003, 11:05 AM

I'm in Denver and use Ricochet which is a truly amazing, everything you need, all in one, wireless ISP. Covers the entire metro area except Aurora. www.ricochet.com San Diego, too.

Since you're in Aspen, I imagine there are PLENTY of FREE 80211b signals. You might do a little online research and talk to other Aspen laptop users re: accessing webmail via Airport, and even Airport Extreme (your 1Ghz may support 80211g).

Surely there is a local user group you can join. If you don't have an Airport base station, your local WiFi community will recommend you get one in your home in order to support and share their network/s.

I'm not talking about Starbucks, although many places like that may charge you a small access fee (use your firewall there). I'm talking about people like you who need a solution, and work with others like you to create and share it.

If you just turn on your laptops' Airport, I won't be surprised if you find a node right away...

You won't find WiFi everywhere, say, on every lift or in every lodge, but you must believe me that no cell phone will provide reliable bandwidth speed, or stay connected long enough for any photojournalist, anywhere.

WiFi is designed for what you are doing, has excellent bandwidth and speed, and you already own most of the hardware and technology to help design and support the network you desire.

Aspen is one location where, long ago, FREE, or low-cost, cooperative WiFi networking was pioneered. You just need to meet these people and they will help.

HTH.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by rockhaus:
... (your 1Ghz may support 80211g)...
He's got a Tibook - does NOT support Airport Extreme.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 12:13 AM

http://www.computoredge.com/Archive/archive.htm

March 21 issue - click on 'going wireless'.

HTH.

Forum Links
Forum Rules