Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook or PowerBook, better gaming machine?

iBook or PowerBook, better gaming machine?
BigCanoe
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 06:00 PM

Hi,

Which would be a better gaming machine, the 800mhz G4 iBook or the 1ghz 12" PowerBook? I fully expect the PowerBook to be better, but how much better? I also assume both machines would be fine for the majority of my other tasks as I am doing them on a 450mhz Cube right now.

Thanks!

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 06:25 PM

I think the powerbook would be a better gaming machine. Its specs are a bit more speedier than the Ibook's.

Nevertheless, I would suggest to get a deskptop for gaming. And If you prefer a diverse options of game titles get a PC.

BigCanoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 06:26 PM

I already have a desktop PC, so I am looking for a laptop. Thanks for your input though. I was wondering if the ATI video card is faster than the Nvidea one...

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by BigCanoe:
I already have a desktop PC, so I am looking for a laptop. Thanks for your input though. I was wondering if the ATI video card is faster than the Nvidea one...
Ati cards are good (better than nvidia's) in the 9xxx series. I lost count what Ati cards are in the powerbooks. Anyway, I think these Mac laptops aren't really for gaming. For example the Halo game has a minimum requirement of a G4 with 800 mhz.. so the Ibook would barely make it.

If you like a gaming laptop, check out www.voodoopc.com Those are nice; though pricey.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 09:34 PM

The PowerBook will most likely edge out any iBook out there, usually because of the larger L2 cache (and faster bus and clock speeds for the higher models).

As for the NVidia GeForceFX Go vs Radeon 9200, I think, for most part, they're at par, though the Radeons will edge out the older GeForceMX 440 chipsets.

If you're going to do some gaming on your Mac (and not just a little), then go for the PowerBook.

zewm
Dec 16, 2003, 10:51 PM

I cannot stress enough that the ibook is not a gaming machine. It can play a few games, but if you are serious about gaming I would suggest getting an alienware laptop.

SFZoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:06 AM

I would chime in and say that the iBook is a fine gaming machine if you don't want to play hardcore 3D games. If you are going for Halo and Unreal 2003 and so on, it's probably going to be a let down. That's why even though I have this spectacular G4 iBook, I plan on upgrading my desktop PC sometime in 2004.

BigCanoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 02:17 AM

I have a perfectly capable PC desktop already, i am looking for a mac, and I want that mac to be able to play some games, nothing intense...

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2003, 03:33 AM

My iBook G4 (12") Rocks ass.

It is not my gaming machine. My dual G5 is.

But I can still regularly bust 80-100fps on Q3A on max settings, 1024x768.

I, personally, would go with the iBook if I were you. The Radeon Mobility chip in it is much better than the GeForce Go (check IMG, among other places).

Besides, its much more rugged too. I can toss it in my backpack with my books and not feel *too* bad.

If it were a 12" PB, it would be pampered.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 07:52 AM

Considering that a 800 G3 Ibook runs Ghost Recon allright with a Radeon 7500 the G4 Ibook with Radeon 9200 must be quite fine for doing "a little bit" of gaming.

Just my 2 cents...
DI

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 10:35 AM

The iBook. Of course the Powerbook will perform better, but for serious gaming, get a pc. Time-to-time gaming will be fine on the iBook

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2003, 03:29 PM

Just curious, has anybody ran Halo on the 12 inch G4 iBook yet, and if so how did it run?

Forum Links
Forum Rules