Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 iMac -- WOW!

G5 iMac -- WOW!
wolfie1599
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 06:00 AM

I am writing this on my very first Mac -- a 20" iMac with 1.5 Gb ram and BT. Words can't describe it...

I ordered on 5 Sept; it shipped on 24 Sept and arrived 29 Sept.

Everyone that has been using theirs is correct, it was very easy to set up -- open the box and plug it in; the screen is amazing -- no dead pixels! Its speed seems as fast as any Pentium I have used -- but ohh, what a difference; it just feels great.

Everyone was right, the look grows on you. I was a real fan of the sunflower, but waited a year, hoping for the G5. I was initially disappointed at the new look, but it is clean -- still looks like a piece of art on my desk. I don�t know about the 17", but the chin on the 20" is nothing. All in all it is very balanced. And quiet � I am not experiencing the fan noise some have written about. If you have been on the fence � get one!

Now if I can just get used to the keyboard and mouse, and all these new commands...

BTW, what is the general opinion of .Mac -- sign up or pass?

All the best from one happy, never looking back, switcher!

Wolf

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 06:41 AM

Well done, and welcome to the community!

.Mac is up to you. I find it an invaluable way to keep my important information readily accessible, no matter where I am. Even if I'm using a PC in an Internet cafe on the other side of the world, I can still access my email, my bookmarks and my calendar.

Yesterday's iDisk upgrade made it even better value, but YMMV.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 08:40 AM

I am just as enthralled with my new 20" iMac G5 as you seem to be! Just installed 2GB RAM last night and now this beauty just screams!

About the "Jay Leno" chin, I have to say, once I start using my iMac, I don't even notice it. All I can see is the awesome image put out by the voluminous display. I like it!

Re: .Mac, I would compare what you get for .Mac to what your ISP gives you now. For example, my ISP gives me 100MB email space for each email (up to 7, so 700MB) plus I get up to 75MB webspace as well. So, I personally don't pay for .Mac because I get my online space from my ISP.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by wolfie1599:

BTW, what is the general opinion of .Mac -- sign up or pass?
DOH!! I wish someone had told you that you can get .Mac for $30 off if you bought it with your iMac.

Opinions here are split. Some of us find it very valuable:
I use or have used it for:
web drive and email (obviously)
one-click web page creation straight out of iPhoto and/or iMovie
backing up user prefs, address book etc
iSync
iCal
iChat
Use some of the free software (PhotoStudioX, for example)

If you use more of its features than just drive space and email, its a good value. If you just use those two items, its not a great value.

Yes, learn the key commands. They're extremely useful. Many of the common ones map very similarly from a PC (eg. command key (Apple Key) + C, X, V work just like Control C, X, V on a PC). Try this sometime for fun.Command + Shift + 4. Gives you a crosshairs that you can drag and release to take a screenshot -- even across multiple windows and apps !!! Here's a screen grab that shows something about .Mac -- the iDisk that comes with .mac mounts on your desktop just like any other drive. Copying files and folders up and down is a simple as using any "normal" volume or folder on your computer.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 09:24 AM

Congrats wolfie.

poochg3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 09:51 AM

I have to agree, just got my 20" last night. Installed 2gb of memory and the production suite. The iMac handles all the apps wonderfully. Even Motion was very responsive! On a side note: I have to say that Motion is possibly one of the funnest, easy to use apps I have ever experienced. My jaw dropped at least 5 times last night dinking with it. Can't wait until I get a better grasp of using it and start to do some real work.

Had a friend over yesterday who is a big PC geek and they absolutely loved the new computer, so much he is now considering selling his computer in favor of the new iMac.

Yes, it is that good!!!!

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 11:53 AM

Awesome well come to the fun zone mac is just a breed apart enjoy.

the .mac issue is a difficult one if you have or intend to have your own web site then use that.

if you don't then use the .mac [email protected] still a great email address

but not as cool as [email protected]!!!! ( i jest of course)

The free stuff is cool but down load it all in your free 30 day trial thingy.

so if you have your own .com then can't really see the point of having it.

But this just my opion. I may have to get one as you know apple they make things difficult to resist!!

qnctv.com
Take a look...

tsuki
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 02:29 PM

anyone see any reason to wait for rev b on the 20" imac? i've been checking to see if there are any major problems..so far it's looking like i might as well not wait.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by tsuki:
anyone see any reason to wait for rev b on the 20" imac? i've been checking to see if there are any major problems..so far it's looking like i might as well not wait.
lol

tsuki
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
lol
ahemmmm...so what are you saying? do you have one?

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2004, 03:45 PM

I purchased my first Mac, last week. I got the 17" 1.8MHz Imac. I really wanted the 20", but was on a very tight budget. I was thinking about getting a Mac for a month, mainly for educational purposes and using it with my DV camera. When i saw the new Imac, I knew I had to get one. I was also wondering about the .Mac package. I was told it included an antivirus program as well. I do not need the email, web storage, or web design software. Would it be better for me to purchase a stand alone antivirus program, and if so, which would you would you recommend?

About the chin, it seems to fit it nicely after a while.

PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Jake_11:
I really dislike when these kind of terms get picked up and carried. A chin is something that protrudes from a flat surface. The lower portion of the iMac doesn't. While I'm using my 20" model all I am looking at is the brilliant LCD. It is a beautiful design that needs no defense. It has received much praise and will help to bring more PC users to the OS. That's all a great thing, because in most environments other then design or home, a "gumdrop" or "daisy flower" looked out of place.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 08:03 PM

additional keyboard shortcuts include:
command+p for print
command+shift+3 for take a screenshot of the whole screen
command+k for connect to server(in finder)
command+a for select all
command+s for save
command+shift+s for save as
command+e for eject disk(disk must be highlighted)
command+h for hide application
command+q for quit application
command+w for close window
command+m for minimize window
command+option+d for automatically show and hide the dock on/off

in safari:
command+k for pop up ad blocker on/off
command+option+b for show menu bar bookmarks
command+t for new tab(if tabbed browsing is enabled
command+d for bookmark page

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 08:17 PM

Originally posted by tsuki:
Any new technology version destop/laptop has its own flaws, which are generally corrected with "revision B," and many Mac users advise to "wait if you can." So far, no glaring flaws have been cited, although there are more than a few threads on different sites about "fan noise," especially with the 17" iMacs.

For myself, a significant shortcoming is the bargain-basement graphics card, the NVIDIA 5200 Ultra, and for that reason alone, I'm waiting for revision B, to see if this improves, or if a BTO option is then available. For many other people, this GPU is fine - you'll see many threads about this, also. I'm also hoping revision B adds a faster DVD-burner.

All-in-all, this looks like a great product from Apple, for a reasonable cost, and will sell quite well!

iBorg

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2004, 05:52 AM

***Quote***
it be better for me to purchase a stand alone antivirus program, and if so, which would you would you recommend?

I use Virex better than PC virus catchers indeed will find PC virus that PC virus catchers miss! strange but true. However 9 years of mac use personally and still no virus, but that is the mac world mostly virus free.
qnctv.com
Take a look...

David Thompson
Oct 2, 2004, 05:06 PM

I went into the Glendale Apple Store this morning to return the Airport Express I bought last weekend. (It didn't want to work with my Linksys router. Blech!!)

I wandered by the new 20" iMac G5 and played with it a while and was really very pleased with it. (Well, except that I think it'd look better if it were finished in aluminum like the current monitors; classier, imho). I probably would have bought one if they had one in stock. I'm not a good waiter--I want it NOW!! Apple Store Online has an expected delivery of 3-4 WEEKS. (sigh)

I'd been considering a new Power Mac, but those monsters are rather more than I need these days. (Truthfully, my Dual 800 is running just great, too.) But, this iMac G5 is drawing me in ...

Maybe NEXT weekend they'll be in stock! :-)

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Jake_11:
I purchased my first Mac, last week. I got the 17" 1.8MHz Imac. I really wanted the 20", but was on a very tight budget. I was thinking about getting a Mac for a month, mainly for educational purposes and using it with my DV camera. When i saw the new Imac, I knew I had to get one. I was also wondering about the .Mac package. I was told it included an antivirus program as well. I do not need the email, web storage, or web design software. Would it be better for me to purchase a stand alone antivirus program, and if so, which would you would you recommend?

Don't buy .Mac just for Virex. It's really not a very good anti-virus program and you really won't need anti-virus on a Mac, at least not yet.

-matt

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

$30 off .mac if you buy with the machine... buy it from Amazon.com and it's around $75-80 so a discount from the regular $99. Works for renewals too.

Congratulations on the new iMac, I am jealous!

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 08:23 AM

MacInTouch has a pretty interesting review and benchmarks up.

It basically shows the iMac performing as well as the 1.8 PowerMac that debuted last year for I think it was something like $1799. Toss in a 17" $599 Apple monitor and you were spending $2300, now you can get the same performance in a smaller enclosure for $1300, that's something.
i look in your general direction

PeterKG
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by pliny:
MacInTouch has a pretty interesting review and benchmarks up.

It basically shows the iMac performing as well as the 1.8 PowerMac that debuted last year for I think it was something like $1799. Toss in a 17" $599 Apple monitor and you were spending $2300, now you can get the same performance in a smaller enclosure for $1300, that's something.
Philly, Thanks for the link. I think this is the best review I have read.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 05:37 PM

I had some other 20" users measure the size of the active area of the screen (the actual screen, and not the size of the enclosure), as I was curious how it compared in size to my 20" cinema display (older pinstripe model, not the aluminum one).

Amazingly, their 20" measurements were identical to my cinema displays: 17.25" wide, 10.75" tall. I wonder if that means they're using the exact same display as was in the previous 20" cinema display models.

If that's the case, I'm going to be very happy - this display is the best monitor I've ever used, and I sold it and ordered a 20" iMac as its replacement.

(taps foot impatiently, waiting for order to ship)
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

wolfie1599  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! I'd have replied sooner, but I have been backpacking in Joshua Tree NP (and having withdrawls being away from my new Imac).

Been staying up late since I got back playing with (and switching over in my mind from PC) the Imac and I couldn't be happier. I have not encountered the fan noise problem that has been spoken of -- hell, my breathing is louder than this computer. Just finished transfering my files from my office PC, and took my first online test for school (should have finished the first time around). I am slowly getting up to speed with this new OS, in fact I had planned to go and get the "Missing Manual" book, but the computer arrived before I had the chance!

Anyway, thanks again and I see you on the forums.

Wolf

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 08:32 PM

Congrats Wolfie.

The Missing Manual is an easy read. I've pretty much only used Macs and found it very helpful and packed full of tips.

It will be interesting to hear your stories using OS X and how different/easy/difficult you find things. You certainly are starting out with a great machine and I'm sure you will find the experience to be a good one.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 5, 2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by neilio:

Amazingly, their 20" measurements were identical to my cinema displays: 17.25" wide, 10.75" tall. I wonder if that means they're using the exact same display as was in the previous 20" cinema display models.
IIRC someone talked about this issue in another thread. Apparently, the specs on the 20" iMac LCD are identical to the last gen 20" cinema display (brightness, contrast, ... everything) and the new 20" cinema display specs out a little better. So, yes, it appears that the 20" monitor in the iMac G5 is the exact same display used in the previous 20" cinema

pliny
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 08:17 AM

the G5 monitor seems to be of very high quality, which is great, that it's on par with the cinema display is incredible.
i look in your general direction

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 6, 2004, 09:02 AM

Yea, I'm loving the LCD in my new 20" iMac. Now if I could just find more time for programming I'd be all set!
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

P
Oct 6, 2004, 05:17 PM

Just got my 17" - this machine is absolutely ****ing AWESOME! The downsides (yes, there are some) are:

1.) The Setup program, the one that copies from the old machine over Firewire, is just broken. If you deselect anything (and by default it selects the entrie HD of that machine) you can't go on because it disables the continue button. Since pulling 120 gigs over the wire without doing nothing else at the time was not my idea of fun but I needed my user account and network settings, I had to work around it a bit. On the 20th try, I got it to deselect "All other files" and just grab all Apps, my home account and the settings (an hour or so over the wire - I wanted to get the apps later as well). That time it mostly worked, but crashed right at the end. It looks like it got all, but I can't be sure.

2.) The sound. Seriously? It sounds like the built-in speakers on a notebook! Oh well, I have some Soundsticks from the old machine. Absolutely get some external speakers (or headphones) for this machine. I'll try if my almost broken iSub will work with it if that makes it better.

3.) Metal interface. It looked out of place on the old iMac (slot-loading) but on this machine its an abomination. I can understand on a Powermac, but this iMac cries out for Aqua! I'll have to install the developer tools just to get Safari flipped to Aqua - or maybe just ditch it for Camino? We'll see.

4) The screen from off angles. The screen gets weird if you look at it from outside the main field of view, and that field is fairly small - at least in vertical. When you're seated at the machine it's OK, but it's noticable allright.

Aside from all this, I love the machine. The graphics also seem to keep up fine. I worried a bit about that, but any current game on the drive (OK, so I don't have Doom 3) works in very high resolutions. You have to hack some of them to get them up to 1440*900 (like Civ3) but it works.

Oh yeah, and the screen can be used as a bat signal. It's BRIGHT!

NeoMasamune
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 02:34 AM

I ordered a 20" iMac G5 with 512MB ram, 160GB hard drive and a SuperDrive. Can't wait until it gets here!

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 08:12 AM

Hi.
Ordered an iMac G5 two days ago. Since I'm switching from Windows XP, and work a lot with PDF's, my definition of a fast computer is "how fast does Adobe Reader 6.0 launch".

Could you guys do me a huge favour? Time it for me! :>

Oh, and make sure it hasn't been page'd in earlier...

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 08:32 AM

Use Preview

It took 3-4 seconds to open an 8 page document (652KB) that Adobe took 40 to open.
Using 800Mhz G4 sunflower iMac with 512MB and OSX10.3.5.

Yours will be way faster!!!

Preview comes with the OS for pdf it is blisteringly fast.

Adobe takes to long to open for me and has loads of features that make it to cluttered.

It is a good demonstartion of the Apple approach. They are determined to be the best in all things.

They set out to make the fastest PDF reader and clearly have done that.
They provide PDF writing from any program that can print for free
And PDF searching like never before available soon.

I use PDF write all the time as I have to prepare science stuff for grants etc..

Just go to print and save as pdf that's it!!

Spotlight in the next os will be able to read unopened PDFs so that you can search the contents of unopened document. Really cool can't wait for that it should be available 1st Quarter of next year.

There is so much that you will be able to do now. Welcome to Mac
( Last edited by qnc; Oct 15, 2004 at 08:42 AM. )
qnctv.com
Take a look...

toti
Oct 15, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by cla:
Hi.
Ordered an iMac G5 two days ago. Since I'm switching from Windows XP, and work a lot with PDF's, my definition of a fast computer is "how fast does Adobe Reader 6.0 launch".

Eight seconds on a rev1 dual G5 1.8 with 1.5GB RAM

Yup, Acrobat Reader is a friggin monster

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 08:48 AM

Hi.

OS X' built in "Preview" app will handle pdfs quite a bit faster than Adobe Reader (though Reader is still good to have around for some feature differences and ebooks). Also, pdf is a subset of Quartz. Quartz is the main 2d rendering component in OS X (its what OS X uses to draw every 2d element on your screen .. which is why the whole OS looks so sharp and lovely). Point being, the bonus of having this as a core technology means that you can not only read, but create pdfs. Literally ANYthing that you can print in OS X, you can natively save as a pdf as well.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 03:42 PM

Eight seconds on a rev1 dual G5 1.8 with 1.5GB RAM
Whoa, that's slow... =/

Let's just hope Acrobat isn't optimized for dual machines.

Unfortunately, I need all of them fancy features of Acrobat Reader: filling out forms, executing javascripts and submitting pdf's to web servers.

Guess I'll have to hope for Acrobat 7.0 to be faster - though history shows this won't be the case... =(

Sui-Zen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 03:53 PM

I received the new iMac G5 last week. It's an awesome machine. However I've had one problem which is still not solved.
I bought the iMac through the Apple Store with an Airport Extreme card installed. I wanted it to wirelessly receive its signal from an Extreme base station connected to Broadband out of the wall (and also hooked up to a G4 tower). Turns out that the iMac G5 receives signal from the base station network just fine, but it still doesn't connect to the base station network (or, therefore, to the internet). I've spent over two hours on the phone with the AppleCare Protection Plan people on this, but still no answer. They've now told me that they can't figure out the source of the problem and that they've given my case to "the engineers" and that they'll get back to me by last Tuesday. They still haven't gotten back to me and I still can't connect to the internet. Anybody else have this problem and found the solution?

Thanks, Sui-Zen

telem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 04:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Thompson: I wandered by the new 20" iMac G5 and played with it a while and was really very pleased with it. (Well, except that I think it'd look better if it were finished in aluminum like the current monitors; classier, imho). I probably would have bought one if they had one in stock. I'm not a good waiter--I want it NOW!! Apple Store Online has an expected delivery of 3-4 WEEKS. (sigh)

I said: Wouldn't look like an iPod if all aluminum.

He said: I'd been considering a new Power Mac, but those monsters are rather more than I need these days. (Truthfully, my Dual 800 is running just great, too.) But, this iMac G5 is drawing me in ...

I said: My Dual 800 is going on eBay this weekend. I couldn't resist getting a 20" iMac G5. Had it for two weeks and love it!

TJeeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Sui-Zen:
Turns out that the iMac G5 receives signal from the base station network just fine, but it still doesn't connect to the base station network (or, therefore, to the internet).
I had a similar problem with my cable modem and DHCP addressing. Turns out I had to reset the cable modem with the base station attached, which in turn gave the base station the correct IP address.

HTH-

Patrick

Gorloth
Oct 15, 2004, 05:54 PM

Touting the slow speed of Acrobat are you timing opening the .pdf file when the program is already active or is it starting up Acrobat when you open the file? Preview is indeed freeking fast but if you need Acrobat just startit up when you boot, then it'll be ready. Put it in your startup.

cla
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 06:50 PM

starting up Acrobat when you open the file?
Exactly.

I know I can have Acrobat constantly in the background. Unfortunately it has to be restarted every half hour due to bugs in the javascript engine. A lot of people don't know this, but the same lot don't code PDF javascript.. :>

I was also curious as of a measurement for how fast the iMac G5 is. I just timed my 1.3 GHz 256 MB ram Windows XP - twenty seconds (browser plug-in).

Still no iMac G5 owners have replyed to this thread... =P

Sui-Zen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by TJeeper:
I had a similar problem with my cable modem and DHCP addressing. Turns out I had to reset the cable modem with the base station attached, which in turn gave the base station the correct IP address.

HTH-

Patrick
Hi Patrick, Thanks for the new idea. The Apple folks didn't think of this. I'll try it. I'm a little unclear, however. Do you mean that you hooked up the base station directly to the iMac G5?

Thanks again,
Sui-Zen

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by wolfie1599:
I was a real fan of the sunflower, but waited a year, hoping for the G5.
...G3... ---> G5?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch:
...G3... ---> G5?
Probably meant the lamp iMac, Steve said it was modeled afte a Sunflower.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 01:16 AM

Whoa, that's slow... =/

Let's just hope Acrobat isn't optimized for dual machines.

Unfortunately, I need all of them fancy features of Acrobat Reader: filling out forms, executing javascripts and submitting pdf's to web servers.

Guess I'll have to hope for Acrobat 7.0 to be faster - though history shows this won't be the case... =(
well when you open an app it mostly uses disk and ram bandwidth so try i 15000 rpm ultra wide read scsi on a pcix scsi card probably about 3 seconds faster.

David Thompson
Oct 16, 2004, 10:22 AM

"I said: Wouldn't look like an iPod if all aluminum. "

Well, I've never cared overmuch for the scratch/fingerprint-prone white/chrome of the iPod. I'd rather the iPod match the new aluminum cinema displays as well! (I'd especially like it if the battery could be replaced more easily!!!!) My 30GB iPod resides hidden from view (for the most part) in a neoprene waist pack, so I can ignore what it looks like.

As for the iMac, I think I'll wait a bit till some of the seemingly pervasive reported problems are resolved.

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Sui-Zen:
Hi Patrick, Thanks for the new idea. The Apple folks didn't think of this. I'll try it. I'm a little unclear, however. Do you mean that you hooked up the base station directly to the iMac G5?

Thanks again,
Sui-Zen
I think he is trying to say that you should unplug your cable modem for 30 sec. while your router is attached to it. That way, the router will get the correct information from the modem and you will be able to get online from your iMac. Hope it helps

JEB
Oct 17, 2004, 01:17 AM

Heyyyyy, nice question . . . try these for fun finger MADNESS:

F keys = a must . . . I use them daily

F1-F2 FOR BRIGHNESS (ESP IN DARK WHEN TOO BRIGHT)

F3-F5 FOR SOUND

F9-F11 "EXPOSE" . . . 3 OF THE ULTIMATE REASONS TO USE OSX !!!
(NOW, TRY THEM AGAIN, BUT HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY FOR SLOOO-MO EFFECT)

COMMAND = SOMEONE MENTIONED THESE . . . YOUR THUMB ON THE "APPLE" KEY CAN ACHIEVE SO MUCH . . . ALSO:

COMMAND + TAB . . . YOU CAN CYCLE THROUGH PROGRAMS (AND EVEN QUIT FROM THERE WITH THE Q - KEY)

COMMAND + TILDE (THE 'SQUIGGLE' ABOVE TAB KEY) . . . LETS YOU CYCLE THRU OPEN WINDOWS IN AN APP. (LIKE YOU REALLLY NEEEEEEED THIS WITH A 20" MONITOR!!!)

HTH,

JEB :]
'Simplify. Simplify.' --Thoreau

P
Oct 17, 2004, 06:58 AM

SInce we're discussing the iMac G5, we should probably have those Fkey shortcuts phrased in the way they work on an iMac G5.

Brightness is on F14 and F15.
Sound has its own keys at the upper right corner of the keyboard.
Expose is still F9-F11, though you could set it to anything in System Preferences.

The key to cycle around windows also has a tendency to skip around in localizations - it's on cmd-< on mine - but check System PReferences Keyboard control panel for the details.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2004, 11:34 AM

It IS great when you think about it.
With the price of the 20" iMac @ 1899
And the price of the 20" LCD @1299
You get a 20" LCD (would have cost 1299), and whole computer for $600 extra.

Originally posted by Krusty:
IIRC someone talked about this issue in another thread. Apparently, the specs on the 20" iMac LCD are identical to the last gen 20" cinema display (brightness, contrast, ... everything) and the new 20" cinema display specs out a little better. So, yes, it appears that the 20" monitor in the iMac G5 is the exact same display used in the previous 20" cinema

Forum Links
Forum Rules