Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Jumping over from Windows to MAC...

Jumping over from Windows to MAC...
Echokim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 11:44 PM

I just ordered my first MAC(iMAC G5 20 inch) ever,but backordered, I have never used it but I am willing to try out a new system. Getting tired of the way windows look and operate, I am just tired of patching and updates. Will mostly going to use it for my digital dark room use. Adobe is going to send me a cross platform for my photoshop CS for windows. I really like the way it looks, you know, looks do count...lol. I hope it's not huge learning curve.

Regards,

Charles,

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 11:51 PM

congrats don't get overwhelmed, you should love your new machine! any questions or need of help, you know where to ask
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 12:58 AM

Congratulations! There's no looking back!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 10:05 AM

I'm just typing this out on my mom's iMac G5 and quite frankly, I love this thing a lot! it's so elegant looking that you just can help but want to sit infront of it for hours. Technologically this this is miles ahead of anything else out there in hardware design.

As for OS X, learn the keyboard short cuts like (Apple - Tab) or (Option-Apple-Esc) and such, and you'll really open up the power of OS X. Also, try dragging everything to everything. Websites to Email, Files to Apps.. etc.. everything drags from everywhere to everywhere.

Have fun
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 10:26 AM

You're going to have a good time working on your new system.
i look in your general direction

Echokim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 01:51 PM

Hi all,

Thanks all, I just can't wait until I get this baby. I am so thrilled. I am pretty good with PC and will probably ok with learing curve...dang, where is my lovely Apple machine..hehe.

Regards,

Charles,

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2004, 10:07 PM

Boy are you in for a treat!

I always like to hear about someone who finally "gets it".

Just for reference and so you don't come across as a real newbie in the future, the Apple Macintosh is referred to affectionately as the Mac (as opposed to MAC which is an acronym for Media Access Control) and your particular Mac is an iMac (not iMAC).

Congratulations and welcome to the Mac community!

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Echokim:
I just ordered my first MAC(iMAC G5 20 inch) ever,but backordered, I have never used it but I am willing to try out a new system. Getting tired of the way windows look and operate, I am just tired of patching and updates. Will mostly going to use it for my digital dark room use. Adobe is going to send me a cross platform for my photoshop CS for windows. I really like the way it looks, you know, looks do count...lol. I hope it's not huge learning curve.

Regards,

Charles,
There's always some slight differences but as far as a learning curve there will be very little. This is what will happen with you as it has happened to most of us switching from PC to Mac:

You will find yourself saying;

(1) Oh it's like Windows, but really simple.

(2) Can I really just drag this unwanted program to the trash without uninstalling it and it won't damage other files?

(3) I can't believe I don't really have to worry my head over spyware and viruses.

(4) I thought I had to really shut it down like Windows, it's so cool that it "really" goes to sleep.

(5)Oh my gosh, most stuff I have plugged into it actually worked without any software installation!

(6) It's really not just a pretty face like everyone says, it's a real computer!

(7) I can run more software on it than Windows thanks to Virtual PC 7.

All of a sudden you will not feel compelled to buy another Windows PC.

iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Echokim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 11:26 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the correction, should have known, just call me a noob, lol.

Regards,

Charles,

toti
Nov 14, 2004, 09:39 AM

I got my 20"-er on friday.

All I can say is: boy are you in for a treat

This baby is BIG, BEAUTIFUL, and FAST !

Remember tho, you DO need to have a fair amount of RAM. 1GB pulls everything but the most heavy workload off ( like FCP with a full feature film )

Oh, and regarding the 128-bit memory access, apparently they say that the DIMMS should be alike, but it looks to me that they only have to be of the same size... I have one CL2.5 and one ( original ) CL3 and still get 128-bit access..

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Echokim:

Regards,

Charles,
My dad switched about 4 months ago. After a virus wiped his windows box for the 3rd time in 2 months (albeit thanks to my little sister), he called me up and said "I'm done with windows, come over and help me order a Mac". He was so paraoind he'd run into problems with things he couldn't do on the Mac that he even bought VirtualPC with it.

After about a month with his new Mac (17" iMac G4) we were sitting in the computer room and he looked over and said "I should have switched to the Mac long ago".....Very impressive words coming from my father. He also remarked "Why exactly was it you had me order Virtual PC?....I never need it".

All in all it's a clear sign that with OS X and the new Macs, switching is pretty easy.

Kevin

Finrock
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 08:35 AM

Just one word of advice: Ram

Get as much as you can afford and put it in the new iMac, it will absolutely fly with more ram. I have 2GB in my 20" iMac G5 and it is absolutely amazing how fast it is. Congratulations on making the decision to switch, you won't regret it!
Two atoms were talking one day. One atom said to the other "you know, I think I've lost some electrons." The other atom said "are you sure?" The atom said "yeah, I'm positive." www.thisoldpodcast.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules