Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > having fun with an old 3400c!

having fun with an old 3400c!
Alcon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2006, 01:29 AM

Friends asked me to put together a small Powerbook for their child's birthday. I dusted off my old 3400c with OS 7 and thought, "this baby can do 9"

I added an old WaveLAN Silver card I had to the mix and after some combing for some updates online I've got it almost ready to go, but I'm not rolling in two spots:

1) I got Airport 2.0.4 installed and it opens volumes from the LAN, but my Internet's not doing it (Update to #1: ** it's fixed; I rebuilt the desktop **)
2) I've installed Ram Doubler 9 and Word 2001, but I guess I need some updater that's nowhere

I need help locating that updater. I got a good list of nice OS updates, I even added a couple of mods, but I've cruised the surf to the beach on this one. If anyone can help with this, we can give a young girl her first "baby" ibook...

Later,
Alcon
( Last edited by Alcon; Feb 22, 2006 at 08:22 AM. )

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 11:55 AM

Your message isn't clear. Exactly what updater are you looking for?

John Strung
Senior User
Feb 22, 2006, 01:05 PM

According to Microsoft, Word 2001 requires at least OS 8.1, so if you want to use Word 2001, you are going to have to upgrade the OS to 8.1 (which is not a free upgrade - the last free OS is 7.5.5). Alternatively, you could look for an older version of Word, say 5 or 6, or ClarisWorks.

See if this helps: http://lowendmac.com/sw.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules