Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I Love / Hate / Neither - My MacBook Thread

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your MacBook
Poll Options:
I love it! 65 votes (50.39%)
I like it! 15 votes (11.63%)
I like it as much as any other mac/pc laptop I had. 8 votes (6.20%)
I'm a little disappointed. 2 votes (1.55%)
This thing is garbage. 1 votes (0.78%)
I don't own one but I wish I did 36 votes (27.91%)
I don't own one but it sucks anyway. 2 votes (1.55%)
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll
I Love / Hate / Neither - My MacBook Thread
Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 08:36 AM

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts into one place. I see a lot of people bashing the MacBook but I don't think they're actually owners. So I'm gonna go with "I like the MacBook."

Pros:
- Wonderful screen, HUGE step up from the iBook and I even like it more than the 15inch PowerBook that I thought had a beautiful screen.

- Bigger trackpad than before.

- Monitor spanning, hurray!

- Easier to repace harddrive AND ram. I never liked peeling back my keyboard before.

- Very quiet, even when it gets sorta hot I've only had the fan pop on one time.

Cons:
- The speakers are better than the iBook, similiar to the 12inch powerbook, I just wish they were a little louder.

- Yes it gets a bit hot, not much hotter than my old iBook. I guess I was just being hopeful.

Impartial:
- The keyboard is alright. I think i'll get used to it. I see my self typing faster and faster as time goes on. I really liked the old iBook keyboard though. It will be nice to be able to easily clean this one though.

- MagSafe: I dunno, i don't hate it... I don't love it.. I mean I see the usefulness in it, at the same time it irritates me a bit.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
I really liked the old iBook keyboard though. I.
I hated the iBook keyboard, it was so flimsy and the whole thing bounced up and down when typing on it - I resorted to putting some paper under it to help stop it from moving so much!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 09:31 AM

The con is probably the integrated graphics to some.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2006, 09:39 AM

I'm stunned anyone could like the iBook keyboard! And what is there not to like about the MagSafe connector?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Voch
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 09:49 AM

No problems here. It gets a little toasty underneath at times but my MacBook works like a charm. And I'm a touch typist and I love the keyboard.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2006, 09:51 AM

I agree with harrisjamieh - the iBook keyboard is horrible. The keys themselves arent that bad, but the whole assembly is loose. Looking forward to getting a macbook in a few months.

Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 10:16 AM

I'll be getting a black macbook by the end of the week...can't wait to finally have some power on the road (been using a 700 G3).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 10:29 AM

Wish I could stomach the extra cash for a black one, but alas, I can't, and I know i'll be dead pleased even with the low end model I've ordered
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
The con is probably the integrated graphics to some.
Perhaps, but doubtfully to those who have actually bought the unit. I am rather indifferent about the integrated graphics. I'm not buying this machine to play games on or dual boot into windows so i can finally run auto cad. I bought to type papers, design small layouts in photoshop, use iPhoto, listen to music, clip songs... Pretty much all 2D work/processor related work. The only thing about the integrated graphics I wasn't please with was the feeling that I needed 2 gigs of RAM to be happy...

I don't have the ram yet, but I'm psyched about getting it. I've had a few instances when the RAM ran out (Okay more than a few) and it was painful. I know this will be a rare soon though. RAM Should be at my office desk wednesday.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 11:05 AM

I voted with the "don't own it, but wish I did" crowd. My current PowerBook is in my sig. I am deskbound most of the time, but in retrospect I still wish I had gone with a smaller model. I don't really play any graphics-intensive games anymore, so the MacBook seems like it would be perfect for me.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 11:17 AM

I voted 'I love it' even though I don't have it yet, I know I will

danengel
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 11:18 AM

The keyboard on my trusty clamshell iBook (the very first, 300 MHz one) was the best I ever used.

masugu
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 12:03 PM

I want a BlacBook so bad I can taste it... However, my Ti 1GHz PB is working too damn good. I must be strong and wait until XMAS for Merom. Just don't know if I can make it tho. The BBs are so cool...except for the clackity space bar
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Macola
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 04:35 PM

Mine (2.0GHz white) arrived this morning...I'm waiting on a larger HD to arrive before I start using it as my primary Mac. So far, I like it, other than the size compared to my 12" PB. Widescreen is not a big deal for me. I'm not sure about the keyboard, I actually think I prefer the one on my 12" PB, but time will tell.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 22, 2006, 04:47 PM

#1 con: Glossy screen
#2 con: GMA 950 (and forced 64 MB limitation in OS X)

Everything else rocks. Well, that's just based on playing around in the store with the MacBook. My White dual-core hasn't arrived yet.

P.S.

#1 plus: Core Duo 2.0
#2 plus: Two-finger trackpad click for contextual menu.

Originally Posted by masugu
I want a BlacBook so bad I can taste it... However, my Ti 1GHz PB is working too damn good. I must be strong and wait until XMAS for Merom.
You know you want one... I had a TiBook, but I sold mine a year ago initially for an iBook with 9550 (gotta have the ripple effect damnit! ) as a transitional machine, with no regrets.

But yeah, if you're a fan of 15" screens, the MBP with Merom is gonna rawk.

Escobar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 04:47 PM

I love mine

Black
2.0GHz
120GB
2GB RAM

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Escobar
I love mine

Black
2.0GHz
120GB
2GB RAM
Wow you went all out for the 120 upgrade huh? I may eventually one day go the 160 route, but no big plans as of yet.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 09:50 PM

To me the major con is the GMA 950. But overall I think it's a wonderful package for the price, in spite of this.

Escobar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 10:16 PM

yeah...figured might as well go for it

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 10:23 PM

I have a BlackBook and I gotta admit, this thing is rock solid. Love it. (so far

hldan
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
#1 con: Glossy screen
#2 con: GMA 950 (and forced 64 MB limitation in OS X)

Everything else rocks. Well, that's just based on playing around in the store with the MacBook. My White dual-core hasn't arrived yet.

Um, the Glossy Screen is acutally a plus. It's the most complained about feature from Mac Users because Apple had not implemented it into any of their notebooks and PC laptops have had this for so long and made the Apple notebooks' screen look so bland.
The biggest plus about the MacBooks glossy screen is that Apple does it better than the others as usual. I have played with it and the screen is really clear and has minimal reflection unlike those cheezy Sony Vaio screens.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 02:51 AM

I was worried about the integrated graphics, but after playing with the mac mini at the apple store, it just felt so fast. I don't play games, so 3D won't be a big deal. I'd like to play some games some time, but I supposed that will wait for the towers when they've been out for a while.

I've heard Aperture isn't too bad on it. Looking forward to getting my MacBook (July WHAT? Geez, Amazon)

Heavy
Forum Regular
May 23, 2006, 10:17 AM

I've never owned a Mac. Just got a blackie yesterday and I love it. I love the screen, the size, the weight. I tried to read up a lot here and was worried about stuff like the glossy screen or too heavy etc.. When I got it, ran a few things and realized it's a pretty damn sweet laptop.

I'm wondering about the graphics. What about screen savers that are 3d? Is it only fast 3d games that will give it trouble or any 3d stuff? I have a very cool 3d Radeon screen saver on my PC. I'd like to use it on this Mac. Can I?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 10:32 AM

3D screen savers and the like will be just fine - however screen saver made for PC will not work on Mac. The only real thing the integrated GPU is crappy for is decent games (things like rollercoaster tycoon will be fine, and the Sims will be playable), and graphics programs like AutoCAD (when using bootcamp), Motion and the like

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 11:09 AM

I did notice after installing Boot Camp, my GMA950 shows 128MB for video ram, I hope at some time someone will hack the OS X side for more mem.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Escobar
I love mine

Black
2.0GHz
120GB
2GB RAM

Bro', I'm in Amherst too, and I also have a blackbook 2.0!

Small world!

Escobar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy
Bro', I'm in Amherst too, and I also have a blackbook 2.0!

Small world!
haha, awesome.

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 02:12 PM

I can't rave on enough about my BlackBook. The thing is fantastic! It blows through all my work without a single hiccup.

It was nice stock, but as soon as I dropped 2GB of RAM in it, it blew my mind. It's even running my 23" ACD without any graphics lag in the least. Absolutely fantastic machine.

Kyle
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2006, 04:09 PM

hola. long time since i rapped at ya. TiBook died eight months ago. I been without, savin', waitin'. Not bloggin', that's fer damn sure. That's 'nother story I be workin' on now that couple days ago I gots a standard 2gHz white MB without no problems i was readin' 'bout, before i plunked down, on sites i usually don't reads with the 'puters at work.

It was real hard tryin' to believe the first negative reports and reviews on some sites, and some blogs.

Most all I found was glory. Glory! So down I plunked.

Darkest, screen's too bright at the bar. Daytime, half-bright is fine on the patio at the coffee shop on Broadway. Hell, I even got a video conference call from a client across the street. Couldn't hear him, though. Traffic. He could hear me, though. So we flipped each other off.

Keyboard's best I ever used. Each makes its own shadow. Took me forever to find the zero on the numeric (m).

Trackpad works as advertised. No more retractible 3-button scroll mice. Varmints.

This morn I performed a service for the contents of my backpack and got rid of everything I use 'ta haul around with TiBook (varmints like PowerMate, audio I/O dongles, card modem, etc).

All's left in the old bag now is MB, which fits better, and some dinky little remote. Thought it was a iPod nanoo, but 'liminates the rest of my 8-track, boob tube 'home entertainment system.'

Battery lasts five freakin' hours. No sh*t. And she boots faster than I kin 'thenticate.

Heat? I say poop on that. I still use an ol' Podium Pad. Keeps the beer off, too.

Love? Yip.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 09:09 PM

Hey rockhause.
you need to fix your sig. its referencing your idisk as idisk.mac.com. I just got prompted for to enter a password to view this thread now.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2006, 06:13 PM

Fixed. My apologies to any and all. Since my last visit Apple changed how iDisk delivers images. Sometime before TiBook died (8 months ago) and now, I forgot a lot of stuff.

Hopefully I'll get BlogwaveStudio running again, but it's unsupported now.

Like my first iBlog that ate itself, it looks like I'll be starting from scratch with iWeb and iStage.

Thanks,

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rockhaus
Fixed. My apologies to any and all. Since my last visit Apple changed how iDisk delivers images.
No problem.

You can use your idisk to hold pictures and reference them via http you just need to put them in the correct spot.

You need to put the pictures in the Sites folder on your idisk. then you can reference them by hompage.mac.com/username/mypicture.jpg

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 09:02 AM

Best Apple product i've ever owned. Fast, spectacular screen, perfect size for the way I use it, great looks, and a great price. I love it.

FWIW here are my past Mac products

Desktops
Mac Classic
Quadra 660AV
Performa 630
Power Computing Power Center 120
iMac 333
G4 Dual 533
iMac 1.8

Notebooks
PB 145
PB 190
PB 1400
iBook 600

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 12:04 PM

I loved mine until it broke. I would say that it is without a doubt the best Apple product I have ever owned though.
27" iMac C2D

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jun 28, 2006, 01:26 PM

The only thing I don't like is that it gets a bit hot.

And I wish it had an illuminated keyboard but I understand why it is only for the higher end models.

"Hello, what have we here?

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311
I loved mine until it broke. I would say that it is without a doubt the best Apple product I have ever owned though.
Sorry to hear. But how did it break?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 10:17 PM

My Macbook while not perfect - moos a bit and is rather warm, is an excellent computer. I just hope it doesn't change color as I started seeing reports about the discolorization.
Michael

jaydon34
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
My Macbook while not perfect - moos a bit and is rather warm, is an excellent computer. I just hope it doesn't change color as I started seeing reports about the discolorization.
Mines has the same problems but it's still the best notebook that I've used to date despite the build quality.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

macblackbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2006, 05:32 AM

I love it. Lack of features but graphics are so great. Appearance is the nicest looking laptop in the world. I care abt it..i nvr cared for my PCs..they got dusty. This one is too nice to let it get dusty....other issues are it gets warm but i lift it on a book. Also, 512 ram is too little, i m gonna add 1 gb of ram since browsers and programs are taking so much memory ram compared to PCs.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
Mines has the same problems but it's still the best notebook that I've used to date despite the build quality.
I'll take the moos and I bought a lapinator (I use it exclusively on my lap) but the color, I paid too much money to start yellowing. So far all good in the universe
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules