Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Finally!

Finally!
sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 1, 2011, 01:19 PM

So I finally said f*ck it, left my old carrier, and got the Verizon iPhone! I was worried about the bill (my old bill with my HTC Desire on US Cellular was $75 after tax and everything), but I jumped on a family plan with the gf and she gets a 10% discount through her work, so it actually ended up being about the same as I'm paying now.

So far so good! It's everything I wanted (and expected) and more!. I've owned a few iPod touches and the gf has an iPad, so I'm pretty well versed with iOS by now.

Couple things I want to figure out.

1. Is there any way that I can customize the keyboard (maybe an app)? Particularly, I would like the to have some of the regular punctuation marks on the main keyboard (my HTC allowed me to hold down certain letters on the keyboard to insert certain punctuation marks). I just dislike having to go to an entirely different screen to insert a comma.

2. Is there any way to set audio profiles? I had this app on my HTC and I really liked it. It allowed me to set individual volumes for incoming calls, texts, media playback, etc. I could set one "profile" for work, one for home, one for sleep, etc. So far the customization of ringtones/volumes seems very limited.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2011, 01:53 PM

You can hold down the number key and just drag to the comma and let go - you don't have to outright switch to the symbol screen.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2011, 09:50 PM

Is there any way to customize the audio settings at all? I turn the ringer all the way down to the lowest setting and the text message notification still seems pretty loud, much louder than what I'd expect on the lowest setting.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 03:56 PM

Also, what is the best, free turn-by-turn navigation app? My HTC Desire had the Google Navigation app and that worked GREAT. I'm pretty bummed out that they don't have the same app available for iOS. Are there any similar (or even better?) apps available for the iPhone? I really have no interest in paying like $5/mo for the Verizon navigation app. :/
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 04:12 PM

Mapquest Mobile has free turn by turn. I haven't tried it myself, but haven't heard anything bad about it.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2011, 05:12 PM

I just downloaded that but have yet to try it. Maybe I'll give it a try on the way home from work tonight.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Chito
Senior User
May 2, 2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You can hold down the number key and just drag to the comma and let go - you don't have to outright switch to the symbol screen.
Thanks for that tip. Maybe I should read a manual someday? Nah......
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I figured this out. I just don't like how it interrupts my "flow" while texting. I'm tapping away on the keyboard, then I have to stop, hold down, drag, release, then continue tapping away. Sure, we're picking hairs here, but it adds a certain cumbersome element to the natural flow of typing.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2011, 06:36 PM

Maybe this is something really simple and I'm just missing it here. Is there any way to set my phone on silent, but still have my alarm go off in the morning? I hate being woken up in the middle of the night with text/phone/email notifications. Is there really no way to turn the volume on the phone down but the alarm volume up? Seems like a very basic, obvious feature.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2011, 07:18 PM

Just swipe the toggle switch above the volume buttons to red. Setting the iPhone to silent mode does not affect the alarm. It only mutes your ringer, text/email notifications, etc.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

gradient
Mac Elite
May 5, 2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Also, what is the best, free turn-by-turn navigation app? My HTC Desire had the Google Navigation app and that worked GREAT. I'm pretty bummed out that they don't have the same app available for iOS. Are there any similar (or even better?) apps available for the iPhone? I really have no interest in paying like $5/mo for the Verizon navigation app. :/
I'd recommend giving Navfree GPS a try. It's a full-featured nav app that downloads the maps locally during install so you're not using data constantly (and dealing with the associated battery drain). Best of all, it's free! I downloaded it and have used it a couple of times with good results. It's got integrated Search, too, which is nice.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Just swipe the toggle switch above the volume buttons to red. Setting the iPhone to silent mode does not affect the alarm. It only mutes your ringer, text/email notifications, etc.
Wow, you're right! I could swear I tried that and my alarm didn't sound off. I must have just turned it off in my sleepy haze without even realizing.

Thank you for the tip!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
May 6, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I'd recommend giving Navfree GPS a try. It's a full-featured nav app that downloads the maps locally during install so you're not using data constantly (and dealing with the associated battery drain). Best of all, it's free! I downloaded it and have used it a couple of times with good results. It's got integrated Search, too, which is nice.
I'll download it now and give it a try later today. Thanks for the advice!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules