Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Internet browsing is devolving! Options?

Internet browsing is devolving! Options?
serr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2017, 01:08 PM

It seems like internet browsing is devolving. I know a lot of this is probably revolving adblock and scripts fighting with it crashing and memory leaking. File under: And this is why we can't all have nice things! I don't think anything has devolved to the point of the Windows experience or anything like that. But from the Mac user perspective... WTF?

Any recommendations?

Currently running OSX 10.10 (Which I will be staying with for a couple years at least for ease of various 3rd party audio production apps.)
I'm still using Firefox.
Adblock of course because there is absolutely no choice with the over the top silliness going on!

So... You have merely a dozen tabs open and you have to restart the browser periodically when some script crashes and starts memory leaking and runs off with all your RAM.

I tried Chrome but fired it immediately when they tried to hide this "updater" app that tries to call home every 20 minutes. (Thank you Little Snitch!) Opened Safari... seems clunky. Some websites treat it like it's not a real browser and just the download app for a real browser (like the running joke Windows users have with Internet Explorer).

What am I missing?
Or can we really no longer have nice things?

Do I have to start running script blockers now too?

PS. I have pro Mac machines (for audio production) too. Web browsing apps are like running a calculator app as far as system resources are concerned. This isn't about coaxing performance from an aging machine or lower spec new machine.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 15, 2017, 01:23 PM

I gave up on Adblock+ years ago, it was a CPU hog and seemed to cause stability problems on the side. Instead use Ghostery to remove only bad ad networks, with the option to whitelist sites important to you. I also use Blocksite, primarily for redirects where an ad takes you somewhere else. You can get the addresses from your history menu, then block the first page it jumped to without asking.

It takes a little time and annoyance before you nip all the bad actors. After that, things settle down. And page loads do not bog down under either extension.

Bonus: Firefox has gone in some UI directions I don't like. Classic Theme Restorer can not only undo a lot of the appearance changes, it can do things like moving the tab-close control to the left edge of tabs, instead of the win-friendly right edge.

serr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2017, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the tips!

serr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2017, 03:08 PM

Haha Or just revert to Firefox v49 and watch all the new issues disappear!
Shouda known...

reader50
Administrator
Mar 16, 2017, 06:15 PM

That isn't a great answer. Older versions of Firefox (or any other browser) will have known security bugs. If you must use an older release, use the Firefox 45 ESR. It's a version of 45 with ongoing security fixes (but no new features). Intended for businesses that don't want to do major updates frequently.

P
Mar 22, 2017, 12:56 PM

Safari with Ghostery works the best for me. A long time Firefox user, I gave up on it about a year ago on Windows and on Mac some time before that.

Safari has bigger market share than FF now, as it is the only thing going on iPads and iPhones, so you can count on sites working well with it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules