Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook Should Look like Nano...

New Powerbook Should Look like Nano...
templetalker
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2005, 03:09 PM

A While ago I posted a thread and speculated what the new powerbook should look like in my opinion. The new black ipod Nano is exactly what I had in mind. I hope this is what's in store for the new powerbooks, thin, jet black, and wicked!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2005, 03:21 PM

i agree.
this is the first ipod that is getting to me (and loosening my credit card from my wallet...)

if they could get the powerbook to match the look of the nano...nice.

will be fun to see what the next pbs look like (or the ones AFTER the next ones...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

luckiesf1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 08:49 PM

The black nano looks really slick and I like it. I think that if the new PB were to have the same sheen and shine, I'd be very cautious about finger prints and scratches. Even taking it in and out of my bag.
12" 867 PB/1128MB RAM/60GB/SD/Airport Express/BT Mouse + Keyboard/40GB ipod.

Xiaopangzi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2005, 08:58 PM

Hmm, I don't think I want a "Darth Vader" PowerBook. The reason why I prefer a PowerBook compared to my iBook is the metal enclosure instead of my present glossy white plastic casing that scratches so easily. I do hate brushed metal iApps, but I like the actual hardware with that appearance, even if it does seem very ’90s and outdated.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by templetalker
A While ago I posted a thread and speculated what the new powerbook should look like in my opinion. The new black ipod Nano is exactly what I had in mind. I hope this is what's in store for the new powerbooks, thin, jet black, and wicked!
black bottom and chrome top

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 10:34 PM

I think it would look too much like an iBook, with different color paint.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
That might look pretty hot
Either way, I'm thinking a really thin PB.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2005, 06:54 AM

Agree!, not sure about if chrome bottom and black top would look even better…

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2005, 09:48 AM

thin may not equal low weight.

I think some people forget that if you want your screen to last, it will need a strong backing.

Similarly, Apple has already made some of the current models so thin that the bodies warp.

Right now, I'd prefer Apple to just get the MacTel thing right in terms of software, and leave the form factors alone for at least one generation of machines.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 11:26 AM

Uh, can you say "fingerprint magnet"?

Besides, my iPod and PowerBook already match.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by giggs11
Uh, can you say "fingerprint magnet"?

Besides, my iPod and PowerBook already match.

nice...even the coffeepot matches!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
nice...even the coffeepot matches!
LOL! Although admittedly that's not my picture, just one I found on Amazon.com. Good idea though for if I ever buy a coffee maker.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 03:02 PM

You can tell I'm relatively new to Mac. I love my PB Al just the way it is! I even love the brushed metal apps!

I like my electronics to look like electronics and not toys. I only wish my iPod Photo were silver.

All that said, there's no denying that Apple product styling beats the living crap out of ANY Windoze machine I can think of, including the AlienWare stuff.

theTechyDork
Sep 8, 2005, 05:53 PM

I love the Power line's aluminum casing. Don't change it. However, they could start offering Black or White iBooks. That would sell both. Especially since Back-To-School season is still running a bit.
MacBook White 2GHz 2GB 80GB | iPod 30GB White 5G | Powershot SD700 IS
www.alwaysg5.com - my blog, a female mac & ipod fan.

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 08:29 PM

The current Powerbook design is reasonable good, and professional. I really like the "simplicity" in all the apple's product.
The gray is best color in my opinion.
And gray is the color gives the least Interference with other color, which is critical important if you are pro graphic or video editing end user, and even iphoto and imovie lover
Furthermore, it looks more Pro than black(Too much PC went with black, and none of them make looks good to me, maybe a few, anyway).
I do not think the next powerbook design would go like what apple did with ipod nano. I think this sort of style more likely to be applied to iBook.
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2005, 10:42 PM

I completely disagree. The looks of the current power book are classic. They are simple, straightforward, and clean. Picturing a mirror finish chrome laptop makes me cringe and think tacky. Not only would it scratch as soon as it was out of the box, it's style would be gone faster than you can blink an eye.

giggs11
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by TFunkadelic
I completely disagree. The looks of the current power book are classic. They are simple, straightforward, and clean. Picturing a mirror finish chrome laptop makes me cringe and think tacky. Not only would it scratch as soon as it was out of the box, it's style would be gone faster than you can blink an eye.
Bingo. The current PowerBook styling will still look good ten years from now, it's just a classic, timeless look, like a well-designed watch. But colors change every few years--look at how tacky the original iMacs look now.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 08:27 PM

And how about a new design for iBook - completely transparent, including the superdrive, so that we can see all the innards, spinning DVDs and such
( Last edited by nsbio; Sep 12, 2005 at 04:29 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2005, 02:06 AM

I believe the main eye-catcher of the PowerBook's case is it's simplicity and cleanliness.

Most PC notebooks (even if they aren't humongous, 15 pounds or made from the cheapest plastic that doesn't even fit together properly) have all these buttons, latches, recessions, LEDs, grills, etc. It just looks cheap and flimsy compared to the clean and slick surface of the PowerBook.

I think regardless of the exact type or color of metal Apple choses for the PowerBook case, as long as it remains clean and simple, it will be the nicest notebook around.
•

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 12:47 PM

How about using the black aluminum of the new moto razr?

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 12:56 PM

Maybe as an option, but I know i wouldn't have even considerded black over the standard silver look.

hakstooy
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 09:58 PM

I would think at most the new PBs would be black anodized aluminum. A chrome PB would scratch like a cracked up cat, and 2-tone... I hope you're kidding.

Personally I think the silver looks amazing, not to mention the benefits: color neutral, hides scratches, visual differentiation.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2005, 10:24 PM

Apple should stay away from using metal casings in their future portables. Tell me if I am wrong, but this might be the main reason for rather poor wireless reception in G4 PBs, even in their latest iteration.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 11:02 PM

i get great reception in my 15". i get looks when i pull it out in class. i look at the person on the other side of the room and he has some pc laptop with so many of those stickers the manufacturers slap on there. the blue apple on the back with the silver casing is classic. i would like the option of it being the current silver and a darker silver.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
i get great reception in my 15". i get looks when i pull it out in class. i look at the person on the other side of the room and he has some pc laptop with so many of those stickers the manufacturers slap on there. the blue apple on the back with the silver casing is classic. i would like the option of it being the current silver and a darker silver.
Did you compare reception range with other laptops? I do not have any problems with reception at work, where Wi-Fi stations are everywhere, but my reception range at home is much worse than that of a couple of PC laptops. Moreover, they consistently see other networks that I have never been able to detect.
( Last edited by nsbio; Sep 12, 2005 at 04:28 PM. )

powerbook911
Sep 11, 2005, 02:47 PM

I don't think I would want a black Pbook either. I love the aluminium.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 05:43 AM

the people over at colorware could make your current pbook look like the nano i believe. I think it's their 'jet black' option but i cant really tell the difference betweent jet black and carbon from the photos. they are even coloring the nano different colors.

pandas
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2005, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by giggs11
Bingo. The current PowerBook styling will still look good ten years from now, it's just a classic, timeless look, like a well-designed watch. But colors change every few years--look at how tacky the original iMacs look now.
why do the original iMacs look tacky now? i think they are as stylish now as they were then (when they were first released). granted, i thought the later colors in ruby, sage, and graphite were better; but the original 5 were good colors too. i am guessing that you also didn't like the iBooks when they were released in different colors? again, i thought they were a nice computer and good color.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2005, 03:16 PM

A couple thoughts:

(1) keeping the current design doesn't really save apple much in terms of engineering effort since a whole different chipset means a whole different way of configuring innards.

(2) While I do think the metal is classic, a darker color would be welcome to me as well. (Remember how slick the older PBs looked?)

SO if Apple does move away from the metal, I'd like to see them use a colored carbon-fiber frame. This idea has been batted around for a while, but Apple's a big enough producer that they just might be able to bargain the price down enough to make it worth-while. A nice solid black carbon fiber PB designed around a pentium would be welcome in my book...
cpac

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 09:30 PM

Just go to www.colorwarepc.com and have them paint a new logo like your favorite sports team or something from a Hard Rock T-shirt.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 02:49 AM

wilsonng,
Hafa Adai! I already linked to the Coloware site only 3 posts above yours. Are you Chamorro?
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 17, 2005, 09:49 PM

i vote for black or gunmetal(dark silver) anodized aluminum. much like the Black V3 razr. slick.
Ryan

travisimo
Sep 18, 2005, 12:06 AM

matte black wouldn't be nearly as nice as a piano black however it wouldn't be such a fingerprint magnet.. man i just bought this one, now i want a black one haha

G5man
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 01:10 AM

yeah black would be cool but I still like the aluminum look makes it beautiful
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 01:10 AM

i personally would prefer matte black rather than have a nice polished surface with a million finger prints on it. have you seen the Black Razr. sleekest. phone. ever. too bad the features are crap and moto's BT won't sync as nicely as SE phones. but they sure know how to make their phones look good.
Ryan

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Sep 18, 2005, 01:42 AM

black aluminum.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 02:12 AM

Yuk a black powerbook (back to the 90's) and glossy fingerprint to boot.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2005, 11:56 AM

Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2005, 01:28 PM

I don't like that two tone look, I would rather see a darker aluminum.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 18, 2005, 03:31 PM

hm, that's an interesting concept, keep the outsides silver, and the insides black. or vice versa. that might work.
Ryan

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2005, 10:57 PM

i think the powerbooks are fine with silver..considering that they should go with the power macs...

i would have to say that thhey need to come out with a black ibook...
ibook-ipod..match
POWERbook-POWERmac...match..
not powerbook-ipod...
lol

that is my opinion...
but i think the powrbooks are nice enough..ibooks need a lot of work..lol

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2005, 11:09 PM

i love the two tone thing. I think it should be glossy black, and aluminum silver. People can wope off the fingerprints, guys
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules