Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > After a week: do you still think MacBook Pro sounds silly?

After a week: do you still think MacBook Pro sounds silly?
Dr.Michael
Jan 17, 2006, 07:19 AM

We had a nice discussion right after the Macworld here. (That thread was locked up in favour of the official thread).

Most posters thought that MacBook Pro was a silly name and there were suggestions of how to name it right (like Powerbook CoreDuo).

What is your feeling now?

##########
Edit
##########

here is the locked thread.
( Last edited by Dr.Michael; Jan 17, 2006 at 12:43 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2006, 07:31 AM

Good point. It wears off after a while.

By summer, I doubt anybody will care.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
What is your feeling now?
I never had a problem with it. I think the name "MacBook Pro" is just fine.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 08:13 AM

the name is here to stay, why don't you just let it go.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2006, 08:14 AM

still don't like it...not as much as immediately after macworld but i still don't like it compared to PowerBook...but won't stop me from buying it after tax time.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

Bratac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 09:02 AM

i don't think its a bad name either. I think its good that apple want to put "mac" in more of their product names.
12" ibook g4

Jason
Jan 17, 2006, 09:03 AM

Well, I guess after a while I would be able to live with it, however I still think that they could have come up with something better, i would like to see what other ideas for names they had. I don't know if I am really willing to jump on the intel bandwagon just yet, as someone previously stated 'being a test subjec for the new intel machines isn't very appealing' and I feel completely the same way. However once they start shipping and i see some tests being done on them in relation to all the new power, I may think differently.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jan 17, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bratac
i don't think its a bad name either. I think its good that apple want to put "mac" in more of their product names.
Well, as I stated in the old thread: until the Lombard the full qualified name of a Powerbook was "Macintosh Powerbook (G3)". It was even written on the bottom of the screen.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 09:33 AM

Still don't like it.

The only reason why I think they tacked the word pro on it, so they can release some sort of MacBook consumer flavor that will replace the iBooks.

Mike

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
After a week: do you still think MacBook Pro sounds silly?
Yes.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 10:13 AM

I still don't like it. I reckon it'll take close to a year before it stops sounding dumb to me. Still won't stop me from getting a little'un when they come out (assuming the iBook replacement is just "MacBook").

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2006, 11:41 AM

After a week, it still sucks.

I think the issue with the name isn't so much that it sucks, which it does, but it's the fact that it's replacing a fantastic and well known name; PowerBook.

If MacBook Pro were a new product line for Apple, accompanying the PowerBook, I don't think there would be as much hoopla over it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2006, 11:48 AM

i concur with Lateralus.
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

jimtkm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 11:49 AM

Yes it sucks! But I don't care, I want one!

jmgriff
Jan 17, 2006, 12:18 PM

I still really dislike it. But it is only a name, it's not like it'll make the computer slower or anything.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2006, 12:26 PM

you're right, it won't make the computer any slower, but it is still emblazoned on the case and calling it a powerbook when you are asked what you are carrying is not correct (according to name).

maybe the name will grow....it is slightly less irritating now, but i doubt the irritation/dislike will go away permanently any time soon.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
After a week, it still sucks.

I think the issue with the name isn't so much that it sucks, which it does, but it's the fact that it's replacing a fantastic and well known name; PowerBook.

If MacBook Pro were a new product line for Apple, accompanying the PowerBook, I don't think there would be as much hoopla over it.
I totally agree.

I feel that the name of the Powerbook was great.
It was nice and catchy. It wasn't bland, it seemed like it had a personality.

But with MacBook Pro... it seems they just came up with it last minute No thinking was used like the names before
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 12:48 PM

It's a stupid name. I will refer to it as the MBP.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2006, 12:49 PM

i like the name macbook.
Its not as good as powerbook but who realy cares, Its just a name.
I don't think they would change the name of the ibook. Its a very apple type name so it doesnt need mac in the title.

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 01:07 PM

A name can tell a lot.

dndog
Jan 17, 2006, 01:13 PM

As much as I hate to say it, I've said/posted the name so much in the past week that I'm becoming immunie to it...

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 10:30 PM

I really liked "Powerbook". Maybe it's the 3 syllables that's killing it...Mac-Book-Pro. Then again, maybe it's just the corny name. Perhaps they should have just gone with:
MacBook (new Powerbook) and
iBook (yup new iBook)

It'll take a while for me to get fond of MacBook Pro I think MBP has an outside chance of catching on, but it's still better than the full name.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jan 17, 2006, 10:41 PM

Person1: "You're buying a notebook?"
Person2: "No, i'm getting a MacBook"

i can see why Apple thinks it's a good idea to use that name. I like to call it ProBook though.

side note: before the macbooks came out, my buddies often call my Powerbook a Mactop. i thought it was stupid, but funny.
Ryan

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 10:42 PM

I think it's the double 'k' sound that rankles me the most: acK-ooK.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2006, 10:58 PM

Here's the thing of it: the PowerBook name never told anyone it was a Mac.

The Powermac says so immediately. The iMac says so right away.

The PowerBook says nothing about Mac.

Mac Book Pro comes out and bludgeons you until you're a mass of pulp and fluids to get the name across. But it gets it across.

The new advertisements and banners all say "Mac" now, where formerly they said . We're seeing a reinforcement on Mac that hasn't really been emphasized before.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex
I really liked "Powerbook". Maybe it's the 3 syllables that's killing it...Mac-Book-Pro.
You do realize that PowerBook is three syllables too, right?

I still hate the name. If it was just MacBook, it would be forgivable, but MacBook Pro just sounds dumb. But as I have said before, I thought iTunes sounded dumb when it first came out, and now I don't think so at all, so maybe it'll grow on me after a couple of years.

I still think "PowerBook" was about the best name for a computer ever, partially just because we've had PowerBooks of one sort or another for around 15 years.

AppleCello
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 11:35 PM

I know a lot of PC Weenies that would always refer to my PowerBook G5 (ti) as a "MAC Book" just because they were ignorant and couldnt get the name straight. So I would always refer to their IBM laptops as ThinkBooks

I think the name is fine. I am guessing that people will just refer to them as "Mac Books" and only mac the Pro distinction if pressed on what model. Gets rid of some "PowerBook" elitism too...

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 01:23 AM

i wonder if the iBooks will now be called MacBooks.

iMacBooks or Mac-iBooks seems retarded. or maybe it'll just remain iBooks..??

MacBook Home and MacBook Pro? (Win XP Home and Win XP Pro). LOL. oh dear lords.
Ryan

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 01:39 AM

I think all the hating might have to do with its phonetic weirdness as well. There aren't a lot of English words where a /b/ sound directly follows a /k/ sound. I can't actually think of any off the bat, but if I could, they'd probably also be compound words (oh, wait, got one: "brickbat," and it is a compound..)

I mean, as well-known as the PowerBook brand is, I can sympathize with the desire to ditch it after so long for this big transition. It's not the loss of "PowerBook" I dislike, it's the inelegance of its replacement. "MacBook Pro." Yech.

Dr.Michael  (op)
Jan 18, 2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks

I think I disagree. This is all about branding. Just ask someone about his Notebook: A Latitude -> Dell, a Thinkpad -> IBM (even if its not IBM any more the brand is that strong), Vaio -> Sony, Powerbook -> Apple.

After 14 years of calling their notebooks Powerbook, a strong brand has been developed. Powerbook transports two messages: 1st is "I am from Apple", 2nd is "I have Power".

And Mac? This is dominated by McDonalds. We have developed a tradition here to call all cheap and ugly things Mc, (like McFurniture = Ikea, McCar = Smart, McBook urgh...)

So Apple would be better of to use Mac as the second part like in i-Mac, Power-Mac, or go the old way: Macintosh Powerbook or Apple Powerbook.

porieux
Baninated
Jan 18, 2006, 07:49 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:02 AM. )

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks

Mac Book Pro comes out and bludgeons you until you're a mass of pulp and fluids to get the name across. But it gets it across.

The new advertisements and banners all say "Mac" now, where formerly they said . We're seeing a reinforcement on Mac that hasn't really been emphasized before.

It is very hard to top the name "powerbook" but I don't mind the name "mac book" because you already know is a "mac" product. I think people just have problem with the word "pro" after that. Perhaps there is another product line called "mac book"

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

Good point, there's not anything really different with the Macbook line. I think in my opinion the power connector is the coolest feature on the computer and well that's kind of sad.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2006, 09:44 AM

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 10:36 AM

...but yes, it's a sad and insufficient sequel to PowerBook as brand names go.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 10:54 AM

Eh, not the best name, but I try not to worry about things I can't control.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 11:39 AM

give me a state-of-the-art laptop, fast, stylish, powerful...and apple can call it anything it wants.
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 11:45 AM

What's a Mac Book Pro?

Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 11:54 AM

Sounds to me like it comes with a Happy Meal.

Here's what comes to mind immediately upon hearing it out loud:

"Macbook."
toy, cheap quality, for kids, not to be taken seriously

"Powerbook."
Formula One, thin, speed, muscle

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2006, 12:02 PM

Yes but isn't the idea to get rid of the bitter and shameful souvenir of computers with the term 'power' in there name but no power in their guts?

P
Jan 18, 2006, 01:35 PM

I'm sure some branding guru is going to tell me why I'm wrong, but here goes my incredibly amateur analysis:

When the Powerbook name was coined, there was value in avoiding the word Mac in a portable, because of the horrible Mac Portable. The Macintosh was also one platform among several, and you had to note the platform somewhere in any case. Dell and Compaq and HP etc sold either "IBM PC compatible" (or "100% compatible", as some called it) or, later, "Windows compatible" and "Designed for Windows" computers. Today, everyone assumes a personal computer runs Windows unless specifically stated - by the word "Mac" or "Macintosh" in Apple's case.

If the cloning thing had worked out - and if they had done it in 1991 when the Powerbook was first released, it might have - then Powerbook might have been a more sensible name: One of Apple's brands. It might have kept us in the world where peopel actively chekced the platform of a computer without trusting that all of them are Windows machines. Today it only really sells to the converted - there is no indication in the name "Powerbook" that it is an Apple product. The i in iBook is more of an Apple thing, so the iBook name might actually survive (although I doubt it).

Let's be honest: If you have an iPod and thinks Apple makes great stuff and might be interested in one of their computers with that cool new OS, will you know to ask for a Powerbook? If you see the name, will you recognize it as Apple?

There is also the question of why you should have two portable product lines. The 12" Powerbook proves that they overlap a lot. It is in many ways more sensible to just have one very wide product line, from the cheapest $999 or $799 machines to the $2499 monster at the top, from 12" to 17" or beyond.

Is "Macbook" a silly name? Yes and no. Yes because I still think it sounds wrong. No because I remember how wrong Powerbook sounded in 1991 - people were asking if it was the latest novel starring Mike Hammer and stuff like that. In a year, it will sound just fine.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2006, 02:26 PM

i agree that ProBook sounds sooo much better.

Apple ProBook....Mac ProBook....it goes well with whatever nomenclature is used before hand, but i have no problems with MacBook Pro either. :shrug:
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

NKT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 11:23 PM

MacBook Pro just sounds too bulky. I think in time, people will start shortening that name to something like MBook, or MBP (as I've already seen in at least one thread).

jwoods
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2006, 11:58 PM

Ok, just for fun.....what would you guys have named it? (I don't like the name either).

Here's some for starters: (Keeping Mac first, of course)

1. MacSlick
2. Mactablet
3. MacPad
4. MacToaster

and finally...............

5. MacNugget

Seriously, the name could have been better, but what can you do. They could have called it the MacTurd for all I care - if it had what I wanted or needed then I'd buy it. (Maybe not)

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 12:53 AM

this

so apple has taken the word "mac" out of the logo...
probably another good reason to call the new book the macbook....
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

dndog
Jan 19, 2006, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
this

so apple has taken the word "mac" out of the logo...
probably another good reason to call the new book the macbook....
I don't see how your link shows apple removing their name from the OS logo...it is just a page explaining apple's universal sticker to put on products that are coded for intel/powerpc.

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2006, 02:25 AM

my list to add to jwoods':
powerbook duo
powerbook core
powerbook dual

freudling
Banned
Jan 19, 2006, 03:17 AM

It totally blows balls.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by dndog
I don't see how your link shows apple removing their name from the OS logo...it is just a page explaining apple's universal sticker to put on products that are coded for intel/powerpc.

well..
the apple logo has always spoken for itself; no "mac" listed.
but where mac appeared on software packaging, we'll now see
"universal" instead.

just that!

i also think macbook is a way to connect "mac" to the new laptops...
often i explain to someone that i use an apple powerbook...
macbook is a way to get branding into the product name.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2006, 10:55 AM

Agreed. The double "k" phonetic sound is harsh and doesn't lend itself to rolling off the tongue like "Powerbook" does. Maybe it just takes practice...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules