Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I want to buy nine Powerbooks

I want to buy nine Powerbooks
cableguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 10:37 AM

I want to buy Nine powerbooks for my client's office and need your help. I am looking for a reliable shop (online shopping mall). Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

cableguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2006, 10:56 AM

if anyone knows about the performance of any of those three powerbooks listed above then please share your experience with me. Sorry I am a bit nervous because I used to work on IBM PCs until June. So you can guess how novice I am.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2006, 12:56 PM

They're OK. About the same as what I use. The first one has a pretty small hard drive. Why not buy from Apple, though, if it's for a business? That way you can get AppleCare and everything and won't be hosed if one dies (and won't potentially be scammed by a bad seller).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 02:11 PM

I also vote for Apple.com, use the business store they have

turbopants
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2006, 03:24 PM

Another vote for Apple.com and I would also add amazon.com. I've never had a bad experience with either. Good luck.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2006, 03:33 PM

Go to an Apple Retail Store.. talk to their business guy... they will have a slight discount for you, you can work things out too, with pricing and accessories and bundles, etc.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cableguy
I just discovered from Craigslist that this shop has posted some links.

http://us.cuteseller.com/us/list/c/c..._712556_us.htm

Can anyone recommend or enlighten me or warn me about this online shopping mall?

<snip>

Cuteseller has a cute scam going... they claim the price is "too low to display" but when you add it to your cart and head over to Amazon for checkout, you see that the price is the exact same as MSRP.
I'd go with the Apple Business Store.

inkhead
Senior User
Feb 9, 2006, 10:14 PM

DO NOT BUY FROM ANY STORE LISTED ON CRAIGLIST PERIOD. You will get scammed. What's wrong with using a name brand company like CDW.com or macmall.com? Do that. Don't screw it up up, especially with that many powerbooks.

cableguy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 09:21 AM

Even I do not understand why they say "too low to display" at cuteseller.com .

Only thing that I understood is that cuteseller.com is an Amazon associate and they simply forward people to Amazon.com with the product that you choose to buy. I do agree with you guys that few scamsters are making craigslist their victim just because of CL's simplicity.

I had a phone call from my client and they adviced me to get 17" apple powerbooks only.

Any thoughts?

I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions and advices.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Feb 10, 2006, 12:04 PM

Only buy from an authorized Apple dealer. it's really that simple.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Dzokayi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 12:17 PM

If these machines are for a client, and you have to support them - do yourself a favor and only buy from a well-established, authorized dealer - if not Apple themselves. Get Applecare on all the machines.

With that out of the way, how are the machines going to be used? Looks like field work from the website. If so, I'd go with the 15": easier to carry, and to me (a bit more rugged).

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:44 PM

perhaps the original poster is a shill for cutewhatever.com?

Ryan1524
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 02:54 AM

hm, this seems like an engineering job. are you sure your clients' software will run on a mac? there are quite a bit of engineering software out there that does not have mac versions.
Ryan

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 05:13 AM

Been reading the forums for a bit and just had to registered to reply to this.

Seems this might be a troll post for the cuteseller website, which incidently is just an Amazon refer site as all items are purchased from Amazon.com.

Furthermore, according to the whois search on cuteseller and jacksonpacific, both were registered on Jan 01, 2006. Ironically they both have [email protected] as the contact email address. Googling that reveals said person of Supriya Karmakar, googling that name is even more fun.

Scam, spam, scam, spam

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 08:40 AM

I'd look at Apple.com 's refurbs, Full year warranty.

Lots of PBs will be on hand after release of new Intell PBs.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2006, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by cableguy
I am looking for a reliable shop (online shopping mall). Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Why not apple - they're reliable and they are the manufactorers. Either go online and buy them or head to your local apple store.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by elcheapo
Been reading the forums for a bit and just had to registered to reply to this.

Seems this might be a troll post for the cuteseller website, which incidently is just an Amazon refer site as all items are purchased from Amazon.com.

Furthermore, according to the whois search on cuteseller and jacksonpacific, both were registered on Jan 01, 2006. Ironically they both have [email protected] as the contact email address. Googling that reveals said person of Supriya Karmakar, googling that name is even more fun.

Scam, spam, scam, spam
Nice work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules