Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do I get my Login window back ???!!!

How do I get my Login window back ???!!!
PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 02:11 AM

I have a Cube running X.2.8,the latest firmware, and was in the process of installing the software for my new Apple bluetooth keyboard,(conecting via a d-link dbt-120) when the installer finished and a restart was needed. Well, lo and behold, upon restart, It begins to go through the normal boot process, (Apple logo screen, services startup screen)and then when I get to the white screen where my login window should be...nothing, just the white screen, no disc activity, no kernel messages, no nothin'. Now wtf?

I booted from the 10.2 cd and ran disk repair, and also repaired disk permissions, but to no avail. If I continue to to press the down arrow on the usb keyboard, the console screen will eventually come up, and I can login from there, but I am not sure where to go, or what command(s) to use to get to Aqua, or to fix the problem. I am familiar with terminal/console Unix commands, but not enough to know where to start to fix this problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

Ruthless
Jan 11, 2004, 02:40 AM

My guess would be that the loginwindow.plist file has become corrupt (or something). You may want to try renaming that file from single user mode using the 'mv' command.

You can read about that procedure from this KB article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464

HTH,
--
Walter

PowerCube  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Ruthless:
My guess would be that the loginwindow.plist file has become corrupt (or something). You may want to try renaming that file from single user mode using the 'mv' command.

You can read about that procedure from this KB article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106464

HTH,
I was wondering if I could do that safely, but then, I guess I couldn't make it any worse than it is now. Well, mabey. Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

PowerCube  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2004, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by Ruthless:

HTH,
Well, it was a good thought, but no luck. I do, however, have the good fortune to have multiple logical partitions, with one of them containing an alternate installation of X.2, from which I have no trouble booting. Whew! I have tried moving or deleting SOME and ALL the various preference files, and have even tried copying the "working" files from the accessible version of X to the main install, also with no change.

If anyone has any other ideas, other than a clean install. I would be more than happy to hear from you. Maybe this would be the time to Install X.3. But would that solve the problem? I hate to loose all of my settings, and have to reconfigure everything again. Then again, why in the h#ll would installing keyboard software screw up my login window?!

Thanks for any thoughts!

Forum Links
Forum Rules