Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why are cubes worth so much

Why are cubes worth so much
jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2004, 09:03 PM

Why are cubes worth so much more than comparable Powermac systems?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2004, 09:29 PM

Because they are awesome.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 09:32 PM

They are the headless Mac everyone wants! Seriously, you can add bigger HD, more ram, faster, even dual G4's, better AGP card... Makes one nice SMALL system! If I could get one, I would just to say I have one!!!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 10:38 PM

I'd pay a premium for one.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2004, 11:02 PM

I want to be one of the Cubist.

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2004, 10:12 AM

Not to mention we are (Lucky) owners of a relatively rare and Oh So Cool machine. I don't think anyone could ever pry my Cube from even my cold, dead hands. Place one in your office, and then be prepared for the ensuing expicative(s).
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2004, 10:54 AM

I had one. It's a great machine, but the problem is that by today's standards it's hideously slow, and upgrading it defeats its own purpose of being quiet since you have to put a fan in it.

I loved mine, but I had to sell it. It was impractical. The cost of upgrading it was ridiculous. I wound up getting a 15" iMac instead. It's very quiet and does what I want it to do which is run Panther Server, which is what the Cube did but VERY slowly.

I sold the Cube for $860 and bought the iMac for $1200. I got a much better performing machine, a 15" displat to boot, and it's very quiet.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2004, 03:15 PM

I would have liked one back when it was released, but now it's just impractical.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 11, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I would have liked one back when it was released, but now it's just impractical.
Oh come on, it's not THAT bad
With a fast harddrive and lots of ram it's ok for normal use (internet, mail, office and stuff). No big jumps anymore, but I would not change its looks for a lot of perfomance improvement. Call me nostalgic, but I still think that machine is awesome - and it gets marvelled at all the time!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2004, 10:55 PM

It's hip to be square!

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 09:19 AM

The Cube is a beautiful sculpture that also happens to be an upgradeable, nearly silent computer that takes almost no desk space. It hits that perfect middle ground for those that want to at least upgrade their cpu and graphics card (drives, memory, etc) - but don't need extra drive bays or PCI slots......joe

CIA
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 09:55 AM

It's a great example of Apple being WAY ahead of it's time. When it was released it was a tough product to place in Apple's line up though. Too bad it died. Regardless of it's shortcommings, those who got one know they still fetch a pretty penny on eBay! And yes, for email, web browsing, and word processing, they are still perfect. I'm suprised more universities didn't grab them as their sizes makes them great general computer lab machines.

OR Silent 10,000 cube cluster anyone? 8-)
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by CIA:
It's a great example of Apple being WAY ahead of it's time. When it was released it was a tough product to place in Apple's line up though. Too bad it died. Regardless of it's shortcommings, those who got one know they still fetch a pretty penny on eBay! And yes, for email, web browsing, and word processing, they are still perfect. I'm suprised more universities didn't grab them as their sizes makes them great general computer lab machines.

OR Silent 10,000 cube cluster anyone? 8-)
I think they used to cluster cubes on the set of Star Trek Voyager for the set's numerous video displays. (All those screens on the bridge were Cube powered ... behind the set was racks of Cubes to power them.)

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Because they are awesome.
Nicely put! You took the words right out of my mouth. The exact words!
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2004, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by driven:
It's hip to be square!

ah I almost had forgotten we share the same taste in music
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 03:19 PM

I think they used to cluster cubes on the set of Star Trek Voyager for the set's numerous video displays. (All those screens on the bridge were Cube powered ... behind the set was racks of Cubes to power them.)
Now THAT'S interesting.

OT: The reason cubes are so expensive is simply because there is a demand for a product that hasn't been made in three years.

ryju
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Ambassadeur:
Oh come on, it's not THAT bad
With a fast harddrive and lots of ram it's ok for normal use (internet, mail, office and stuff). No big jumps anymore, but I would not change its looks for a lot of perfomance improvement. Call me nostalgic, but I still think that machine is awesome - and it gets marvelled at all the time!
Oh if I saw it for a decent price, less than $1000 I would maybe consider it. But then upgrading is another cost factor to consider. I'd think it costs a lot to bring it up near 1GHz. Then I'd have to use my ugly CRT monitor..

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

ah I almost had forgotten we share the same taste in music
I spent my formative years in the 80s.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Azzgunther:
Now THAT'S interesting.

OT: The reason cubes are so expensive is simply because there is a demand for a product that hasn't been made in three years.
The photos are now offline, but here is the article about the G4 Cube cluster on Voyager.
(Now I wish I saved the photos, they were impressive)

http://www.treknation.com/articles/e...et_visit.shtml

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by starman:
I had one. It's a great machine, but the problem is that by today's standards it's hideously slow, and upgrading it defeats its own purpose of being quiet since you have to put a fan in it.

I loved mine, but I had to sell it. It was impractical. The cost of upgrading it was ridiculous. I wound up getting a 15" iMac instead. It's very quiet and does what I want it to do which is run Panther Server, which is what the Cube did but VERY slowly.

I sold the Cube for $860 and bought the iMac for $1200. I got a much better performing machine, a 15" displat to boot, and it's very quiet.

Mike
trading a cube for an imac. you suck.

cubes rock. who cares how impractical they are. And for the 400$ extra you spent, you could have put in a 1.25 g4 which would be faster than the imac.

fb2

JCT
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 09:55 PM

I think one of the Manhattan art museums has a Cube in their collection.

As for me, I'm a new (partial) switcher, fell for OS X after configuring an iBook at work and bought myself a 12" PB soon afterward.

Soon after that I decided I wanted a desktop Mac, but everyone said wait until the Rev B G5s arrived (I want to replace my 3.0 GHz P4 with a fast dual G5 ... and say goodbye to Windows at home).

My husband took pity on me (pining for a desktop Mac) and bought me a Cube for Valentine's Day! So I spent last weekend doing some upgrades and I'm having a *great * time with it. It will hold me until this fall without a problem and it is a joy to behold.

A lovely piece of computing history.

JT

Ack! Gotta fix my sig!
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by freakboy2:
trading a cube for an imac. you suck.

cubes rock. who cares how impractical they are. And for the 400$ extra you spent, you could have put in a 1.25 g4 which would be faster than the imac.

fb2
Uh, I had to have the thing on a KVM switch to save a space on my desk for a monitor. An iMac with the 15" LCD solved that problem. Cubes don't have displays.

The extra $400 I spent went towards my G5. Also, I now have a DVD-ROM/CD-RW in my iMac, which would have been ANOTHER cost for the Cube.

And oooooh..... 0.25GHz faster.

You forget that I would have had to install a fan which would have defeated the purpose of the Cube in the first place.

Also, the Cube has no Line In which made it COMPLETELY useless for my radio show.

Mike

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2004, 05:18 PM

The photos are now offline, but here is the article about the G4 Cube cluster on Voyager.

http://www.treknation.com/articles/e...et_visit.shtml
Interesting. Too bad idrivex requires a password to view his .Mac site. He claims to have pictures of the 16 cubes.

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by starman:
You forget that I would have had to install a fan which would have defeated the purpose of the Cube in the first place.
Believe it or not, there are some quiet fans out there nowadays. I built a custom base for my Cube from stainless steel(think shoebox lid, but with 3 sides, about 9 x 9, open side down, big hole in the middle with 120mm slow speed fan)This enabled a processor upgrade AND a fanless GF3 video card (custom heat sink). You can only hear the fan if it is dead silent in the house.

Also, the Cube has no Line In which made it COMPLETELY useless for my radio show.

Mike
Think iMic. (not sure about the latency factor for your use) Worked well for me, until I discovered mAudio Sonica Theater. Now my Cube also serves as jukebox to my home theater system.(all my cd's are now flac files on an external 250g firewire drive)

All in all, for true Cube enthusiasts, money is no object. Hey, we bought the dam% overpriced things in the first place, did we not? Yeah, if I took all the money I spent on this thing (including purchase) I would be well on my way to a G5 dual. But it's not about pure speed. It's all about the experience.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 02:56 AM

I saved one of them. It shows about a dozen Cubes in a lower cabinet with 2 NEC flat panels and Apple keyboards above. It's an 800x600 jpeg about 300KB in size. Not sure if this is too large to post. If so, PM me and I'll email you the photo............joe

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2004, 07:17 AM

It's not Voyager, it's Enterprise. You know, the one with Jolene. Since Enterprise is still in production (despite falling ratings - obviously you guys don't watch it or you'd know the difference), the Cubes are probably still part of the set.

Anyway, here they are:

And if you watch Wednesday night at 8 pm on UPN, you can see the PowerMac G4 Cubes in use!

(C'mon people, get the ratings up or Enterprise will be cancelled and the Cubes will die...)

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2004, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by JCT:
[B]

My husband took pity on me (pining for a desktop Mac) and bought me a Cube for Valentine's Day! So I spent last weekend doing some upgrades and I'm having a *great * time with it. It will hold me until this fall without a problem and it is a joy to behold.
/B]
better than roses for a geek

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

joe
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
It's not Voyager, it's Enterprise. You know, the one with Jolene. Since Enterprise is still in production (despite falling ratings - obviously you guys don't watch it or you'd know the difference....
Yeah, I tried watching Enterprise several times. The reason noone is watching is because it <edit> isn't up to the level of previous ST series. For me it's uncomfortable and irritating to watch. There are just too many problems. To start off: probably the worst casting I've ever seen in a ST series - especially Archer. Jolene is great and one of the best acted parts on the set. But the 7 or 9 outfits don't make sense. Vulcans never wore that type of garb, so it comes across as cheesy and manipulative regardless of how terrific she looks. And it just goes downhill from there.

But you just gave me one more reason to avoid this show. With any luck, those Cubes will end up on eBay sooner than later. And I need a backup ...............joe

michaelb
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by joe:
Yeah, I tried watching Enterprise several times. The reason noone is watching is because it <edit> isn't up to the level of previous ST series. ... Vulcans never wore that type of garb, so it comes across as cheesy and manipulative regardless of how terrific she looks. ... With any luck, those Cubes will end up on eBay sooner than later. And I need a backup ...............joe
LOL! I dunno, Voyager was pretty bad most of the time too. But you're right, they are getting a bit desperate with the ratings and sexing it up a bit: showing Jolene half naked never happened with Spock <shudder>.

Anyway, I'm doing something similar with my old Cube: it runs a "photo wall" in the lounge.

The photo wall is the Cube with an LCD screen on a mantelpiece loaded with my father's 20,000+ scanned photos taken over the last 40 years.

It cycles and cross-fades between them every few seconds, and I can make "smart albums" in iPhoto which show specific countries or other themes. It's quite a talking point for visitors.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 02:22 PM

How did you scan in so many slides? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that as fast as possible.

And I hate Enterprise. Bad show. Bad writing. Bad inconsitencies.

Mike

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2004, 09:58 PM

What I is the software or whatever they use for the displays. Those would make some seriously kickass Mac-Only screensavers.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 01:35 AM

It's because of people like This who "have no use for a g4 cube" but like to keep one in their closet just for bragging rights.
Aloha

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 09:37 AM

I don't undersand why the cubes didn't catch on.

I buy PowerMacs, but they are a bit overkill for me.

All I need is a headless iMac with a dang AGP slot so I could change out the video card!
Until Apple produces such a thing (again) I'll continue to buy the towers.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Forum Links
Forum Rules