Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme mockup: battlePOD

Theme mockup: battlePOD
RydDragyn
Mar 29, 2004, 12:24 PM

I put this rough draft together in about 20 minutes...it's a theme based on the look of a military PDA . I'm calling it either battlePOD or Military Device. Any and all feedback appreciated.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 12:30 PM

My first impression was GO ARMY! though i don't know about the Teal color for the title bar area. Would the widgets have a 'glowing' roll-over effect? by that i mean like an iridescent hue, like most things in the military? A greater variance in the hues of drab green might help highlight certain areas too.

Just my 2 �

RydDragyn  (op)
Mar 29, 2004, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the pennies, every little bit counts. Yeah the teal is probably gonna change. My vision for the theme is that it's gonna be half solid hard green plastic, and the elements with text are gonna be LCD's. Spent the last few minutes on the menus, I'll try to keep updates frequent.

FB Eye
Senior User
Mar 29, 2004, 01:02 PM

If you can also give it that worn, used look you see on the screenshot of the actual product, that'd be cool also... Just a thought

idle
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2004, 01:06 PM

i have to agree. military is one of the organizations that 1) keeps things if they work. meaning they get some kind of stain and patina / used look. 2) likes to keep things mean and lean.
therefor you should prolly make the theme look as rigid, functional/practical and simplistic as possible. and then some military colors.

[ idle. ]

RydDragyn  (op)
Mar 29, 2004, 03:53 PM

Slightly updated version. BTW These elements are being put into Themepark, so it's more than just a mockup:

Makki
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 05:29 PM

titlebar text should be black

mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2004, 07:59 PM

the teal in the first attempt looks very nice...changing it to the way it is now doesn't look as good, and the title bar isn't readable at all - the contrast is just too low

RydDragyn  (op)
Mar 29, 2004, 08:05 PM

I mentioned that I've spent less than an hour working on this right?

keywords in my first post: ROUGH DRAFT

and yes, i actually do like the teal quite a bit upon further reflection. I'm gonna keep any further development concealed until I can give this theme a better identity, not to mention a more professional polish.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 08:30 PM

Keywords in first post: "Any and all feedback appreciated."

That said, never seeing a military PDA, I am unable to compare this theme to one. The color scheme is kind of an icky brown...

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

RydDragyn  (op)
Mar 29, 2004, 09:18 PM

There. that's what they look like

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 09:50 PM

Cool. Seeing that, your theme is very true to the PDA, however I suggest maybe a duller shine on the window widgets

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

fireside
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 10:27 PM

add some muck around the buttons to give a more used feel.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2004, 09:23 AM

the widgets are too blurry. You need to crisp them up a little. lite the Neos-theme.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by brutal:
the widgets are too blurry. You need to crisp them up a little. lite the Neos-theme.
Thinking the same thing. The .jpg compression seems to have made it a bit rough too.
click one

RydDragyn  (op)
Mar 30, 2004, 03:35 PM

The image compression is most of it. I'm working on a smoother version, all from scratch. I'm gonna put in more elements before I share anything else.

Network shadow - just out of curiosity, does my idea visually overlap at all with the Halo theme you were making?

EDIT:

----Update:

here's a different vision that I've put some more time into.

( Last edited by RydDragyn; Mar 30, 2004 at 05:21 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules