Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Theme suggestions needed - TK-421

Theme suggestions needed - TK-421 (Page 2)
FB Eye
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 01:22 PM

Hey Cody,

Has ThemePark been good on you so far? Or has it shattered your motiviation, like it did for me?

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Hey Cody,

Has ThemePark been good on you so far? Or has it shattered your motiviation, like it did for me?
it's shattering as we speak. There's just SO many elements to change..... it's discouraging. I've got the menubar done, the window bar done, the metal window, the window widgets, and the large segmented tabs. I'm kind of stuck right now, but I'm going to keep working on it for a while before I give up completely.

That is, of course, unless some famous themer wants to step in and finish it for me. But that's quite unlikely since they're all working on the winning entries from the contest.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2004, 04:08 AM

Nice theme, but I just have this urge in me for the text color to be 100% black.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2004, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by codywalton:
it's shattering as we speak. There's just SO many elements to change..... it's discouraging. I've got the menubar done, the window bar done, the metal window, the window widgets, and the large segmented tabs. I'm kind of stuck right now, but I'm going to keep working on it for a while before I give up completely.

That is, of course, unless some famous themer wants to step in and finish it for me. But that's quite unlikely since they're all working on the winning entries from the contest.
Hey cody, yes there is a lot of elements to change but..
the only way to get a theme done is to take your time.
Just change a few elements everyday or when your have an hour to spare
so you don't get bored/discouraged. That's what I do.
It might take long to finish it but there is no rush here
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

FB Eye
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 09:06 AM

I'm sure that although they are really busy, most themers can probably help you out with any technical question or bug you might have...

Please don't give up!!!

FB Eye
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 08:38 AM

Hey cody, still hangin' in there?

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2004, 08:13 PM

Hey cody, still hangin' in there?
I'm tryin'. I've done a little bit more, but it's just so much. Besides the actual theme, then you need to do the app skins, icons, and desktops. I've got a lot of stuff to work on and this is pretty low on the totem pole.... so I won't be able to finish it anytime soon.

Honestly, if there is an experienced themer out there who wants to build this, email me and I'll work with you, provide PSD files.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2004, 03:07 PM

sounds like you have a bunch of support.

Your idea is solid and the mockups were great.
Patiently - we wait....

times up

RydDragyn
May 26, 2004, 03:18 PM

I'm helping Cody with this theme. Been held up with other stuff for a while but I've made some good progress. I'm shooting to have a rough draft together by this weekend (not for release though).

I've been using incomplete builds for a while, and it's a very usable theme.

Now if only Cody would answer my recent emails

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2004, 03:58 PM

will youse two 'ewts be willing to post a pic of your weekends prog?

I have been hangin on with interest cause Cody kept changing/evolving his work. A real work in progress.

RydDragyn:
Thanks for stepping in and offering your help with it. would have been a shame for it to circular filed after everything he did conceptually.

RydDragyn
May 26, 2004, 04:03 PM

Thus far everything looks pretty much like the latest mockup. I'm starting to draft ideas for an iTunes skin though.

Flinx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2004, 09:53 AM

What is the status of this theme?

I would really enjoy to give it a try...

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2004, 08:36 PM

it's stalled right now. I haven't heard from RydDragyn in quite a while, I guess he's moved on to other things. If some other PRO themer out there (Max, Swiz, etc. *wink wink*) wants to take it and finish it up, I can provide you with my psd files and my tpark files.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 08:19 AM

Why not open source it like Carbon did with Watercolor? When themes stall like this, please share. :/ More exposure is better.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

FB Eye
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 12:19 PM

I so hope that this one doesn't die

Looked soooooooooooooo awesome...

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 12:22 PM

I so hope that this one doesn't die

Looked soooooooooooooo awesome...
I wished I could see this. The screen shots are gone...

I would love to take this one on if it is good enough.

R

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by G0Ducks:
I wished I could see this. The screen shots are gone...

I would love to take this one on if it is good enough.

R
Mock-up 1

Mock-up 2

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 03:30 PM

me wants it!

FB Eye
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

As far as I can remember, the mockup evolved alot from those mockup contest pics...
It looked waay better

cody, you still have some screenies for us?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 04:16 PM

the evolution is what makes this such a bummer.
It came miles from that original inspiration in the contest. You can tell that by reading the entire post.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 06:12 PM

here was the last mockup I did.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2004, 03:01 AM

Besides the widgets, it really looks cool.

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 1, 2004, 10:59 AM

Oooooooh, thanks for making me drool again cody
I so want this theme!!!

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 09:07 PM

Hey! That looks pretty good! Why aren't you (or someone else) doing this again?

R

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 09:28 PM

Hey! That looks pretty good! Why aren't you (or someone else) doing this again?

R
because I just don't have the stamina to build the full theme. I've repeatedly said if some established themer wants to take it and finish it up, I can give them my psd's and tpark files. We would share credit.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 10:07 PM

because I just don't have the stamina to build the full theme. I've repeatedly said if some established themer wants to take it and finish it up, I can give them my psd's and tpark files. We would share credit.
What about something like this? :

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 10:19 PM

Hmm, unfortunately GoDucks, I'm not sure I like that version of yours. The inspiration is the stormtrooper's helmet and we have to stick with that. The last mockup cody did was just so perfect!!!

But I do appreciate your interest in the theme and you willingness to help out. We need a ThemePark pro to step in and get this beauty released...

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 10:37 PM

Hmm, unfortunately GoDucks, I'm not sure I like that version of yours. The inspiration is the stormtrooper's helmet and we have to stick with that. The last mockup cody did was just so perfect!!!

But I do appreciate your interest in the theme and you willingness to help out. We need a ThemePark pro to step in and get this beauty released...
If the inspiration is from the helmet... The x - + buttons have to change. Visually, they are way out of place. The gray "fuzzyness" just is not storm trooper helmet at all. Sorry.

I'll just make my own

R

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 10:50 PM

GoDucks, you can clearly see the inspiration for the widgets here and right here

To me they work just fine, but if you have something else to suggest please do so. Just don't change the titlebar, 'cuz it looks damn fine to me

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2004, 10:57 PM

GoDucks, you can clearly see the inspiration for the widgets here and right here

To me they work just fine, but if you have something else to suggest please do so. Just don't change the titlebar, 'cuz it looks damn fine to me
If this is the route you want to take, then please make the gray part not so dull. And, the "bumps" should be more crisp as well.

Maybe I'll call my variant BikerScout or something...

R

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 09:30 AM

Spent about 90 minutes doing it to relieve boredom.. Used the HandDwhatchamacallit font because I think that looked sleeker for it.. I used some of the ideas previously done, so clever-people credit goes to them..

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by esXXI:
Spent about 90 minutes doing it to relieve boredom.. Used the HandDwhatchamacallit font because I think that looked sleeker for it.. I used some of the ideas previously done, so clever-people credit goes to them..
I still prefer the original. The widgets and the scrollbar don't work IMO.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 12:50 PM

DO NOT MODIFY MY MOCKUP WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION! YOU NEED TO REMOVE THOSE IMAGES IMMEDIATELY!

if you had asked me, i probably would have said yes. Please be respectful of other peoples work.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 12:52 PM

What about something like this? :

that's nice. if you want to build the guikit, just ask me for permission, and i will send you my psd files and such.

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 12:53 PM

Happy to see you're still watching this thread cody!!!

Have you had a succeful contact with a ThemePark pro yet? I'm so worried this theme won't see the light of day

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 01:01 PM

Happy to see you're still watching this thread cody!!!

Have you had a succeful contact with a ThemePark pro yet? I'm so worried this theme won't see the light of day
Not as of yet. I emailed Swiz a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), to see if he would be interested in finishing it out, but I never got a response. There are a lot of things going on in "real life" right now, so finishing this mockup into a theme is not high on my priority list. But if an established themer is interested, I will give them my psd files and tpark files I started, and share credit with them.

And I don't mind if people want to make suggestions on the design. But if you are going to change the actual design I've made, please ask me first. It's just he polite thing to do.

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 02:23 PM

Not as of yet. I emailed Swiz a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), to see if he would be interested in finishing it out, but I never got a response. There are a lot of things going on in "real life" right now, so finishing this mockup into a theme is not high on my priority list. But if an established themer is interested, I will give them my psd files and tpark files I started, and share credit with them.

And I don't mind if people want to make suggestions on the design. But if you are going to change the actual design I've made, please ask me first. It's just he polite thing to do.
Er if that's referring to me (/as well); I didn't use any portions of anyone else's work.. I made mine totally from scratch. You earlier said;

[Snip] I've repeatedly said if some established themer wants to take it and finish it up, I can give them my psd's and tpark files. We would share credit.
I presumed this meant you had no intention of finishing it and wouldn't mind input into the project. I only posted the mock up to show that I was 1) interested in working with you on it and 2) capable of the design work.

codywalton  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by esXXI:
I presumed this meant you had no intention of finishing it and wouldn't mind input into the project. I only posted the mock up to show that I was 1) interested in working with you on it and 2) capable of the design work.
what I meant was, if an established themer liked my design and wanted to create a guiKit from it, I would supply them with what I had already created, and we would share credit on the final product. I did not mean I was looking for someone else to come in an completely redesign it. I am quite happy with my design, I just don't have the time or the skill to actually build it into a theme file.

And if you look at the beginning of this thread (which was over 4 months ago), you will see that i did indeed take a lot of suggestions and input from lots of people, which I myself incorporated into my mockup.

If you want to take the mockup you made from scratch, and make a guikit, by all means do so, but please pick another name for it, since it's not the same as the TK-421 I designed.
OR
if you are interested in building my design into a theme (not changing it, just creating the guikit), then send me an email and we can talk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules