Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Ultimate PowerMac G4 Cube

My Ultimate PowerMac G4 Cube
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 06:05 AM

So I just bought myself a PowerMac G4 Cube. I don't need the power of a G5 and I love the actual cube itself, so I bought the most pristine cube I could buy and just bought the following upgrades for it:

PowerMac G4 Cube
1.0 Ghz PowerLogix G4 Upgrade
ATI Radeon 7500 AGP Graphics Card
120 GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
Airport Card
D-Link Bluetooth USB Dongle
Panasonic Panaflo cooling fan
4x Slot Loading DVD-R/RW Drive
1.5 GB PC133 RAM

My only question is this, and I haven't heard of anyone's experience doing this, Will the Radeon 7500 really work? I know I need to either remove the end piece or modify it to make it fit, but after I do that, will it really work in the Cube without making it explode or overheat or draw too much power? Everywhere I look the 7500 is advertised for a G4 or a Cube, but I haven't heard of any reports after the fact.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2004, 10:04 AM

Yes, the 7500 will work. However, there are many faster options out there, believe it or not. Look Here for plenty of information. Search the Forums as well for plenty more information. People are stuffing some unbelievable video cards in their Cube's.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by iDriveX:
PowerMac G4 Cube
1.0 Ghz PowerLogix G4 Upgrade
ATI Radeon 7500 AGP Graphics Card
120 GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
Airport Card
D-Link Bluetooth USB Dongle
Panasonic Panaflo cooling fan
4x Slot Loading DVD-R/RW Drive
1.5 GB PC133 RAM
Heh, kinda takes the wind of the naysayers' sails who said Cubes were/are not expandable.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
Heh, kinda takes the wind of the naysayers' sails who said Cubes were/are not expandable.
That's been known for years.

However, there is NOT a Gigabit upgrade for it which made me sell it. I really needed gigabit and it's one of the most asked questions on the Cube owner's web site, but unfortunately there are no solutions.

Besides, I went with a refurbed G5 for the same price (if not less) than a Cube w/upgrades.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 01:59 PM

iDriveX, that'll be a nice setup when its all installed. Going off topic now, but cube-dude, reading your sig, shouldn't you rename yourself Ti-dude now? I mean, your a mod, you gave yourself 5 cubes in your name, you have the power!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 06:41 PM

I don't really need a faster option right now, I just want it to be fast enough to use Quartz Extreme and not be laggy. I mainly do e-mail, web, Word/Excel, iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie/iDVD. On about a once a month basis I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver. So I don't need a G5, but I don't need like a GeForce 10 Extreme MX either I'm gonna take pictures along the entire way and post them. It's been done before, but not the iDriveX way! ;-)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
Just imagine where the cube would be if it weren't dropped by Apple. <groan>
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by driven:
Just imagine where the cube would be if it weren't dropped by Apple. <groan>
Correction: just imagine where the Cube would be if customers had actually bought it...

(My Cube can play blackjack)

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 12:14 AM

What a beautiful computer, I can't wait to get it. I'm starting to get tracking numbers in on all of the components I purchased for it! Very excited! I figure I'll update it once more after Powerlogix or Gigadesigns can provide with low cost/low heat 2.0 Ghz + G4 chips for this beauty! Or maybe one day, a G5 chip ;-)

Nothing like a 2.4 Ghz G5 on a 100 Mhz bus

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2004, 01:55 AM

Congrats, iDriveX

I came thiiiiiis close to buying a Cube as well (to replace a failing Blue & White G3 at the office) but I was afraid I'd end up spending so much more money on upgrades for it that I would have essentially paid for a new G5...

My application needs at the office are simple as well, but the machine also runs double duty - hosts a low-traffic web server, mail server, and SFTP server. I was afraid that the single 450MHz G4, even with lotsa RAM, wasn't going to cut it. Upgrading the processor would have added significant expense. I ended up going with a near-pristine gigabit Dual 500MHz G4 w/ a Radeon 8500 for about $300 less than a Cube. And it performs most admirably.

But I must say I've had Cube-envy since they were introduced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules