Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sleazy things retailers do

Sleazy things retailers do (Page 2)
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 09:42 AM

Yes. It's updated with more dungeons and an expanded story.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 10:29 AM

cool. its probably my favorite RPG ever, so ill have to grab it.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2005, 10:48 AM

I don't tend to buy things in stores that would require a warranty. Most of my purchases like that can be found online for cheaper. The only warranty I've bought is for my iBook and I'd get it again. I've already had a few problems (one my fault, another not my fault) fixed at no charge. I like knowing I can rely on this computer working well for the next year and a half, at least. Plus selling things used works out nicely when it's still under warranty.

But then again, we all love AppleCare.

meelk
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by scaught
is it worth picking up if i have the SNES version?
there are enhancements/differences in the story. you might want to check a review or list to see.

nerd
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 11:15 AM

I'm not trying to derail this thread but this is something related to signing waivers. CompUSA in Albuquerque, NM will now make you sign a little sticker they put on the memory package if you decline to pay $35 to have them install it. The sticker basically there is no returns on the memory if you install it, period. Bad RAM, to bad.

I think it's complete BS. Not that I make a practice of buying memory locally (price) but the few times I've done it for work is now moving online just as I do for myself. I also made our CompUSA business sales guy aware of my feelings.

Brad

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by nerd
I'm not trying to derail this thread but this is something related to signing waivers. CompUSA in Albuquerque, NM will now make you sign a little sticker they put on the memory package if you decline to pay $35 to have them install it. The sticker basically there is no returns on the memory if you install it, period. Bad RAM, to bad.

I think it's complete BS. Not that I make a practice of buying memory locally (price) but the few times I've done it for work is now moving online just as I do for myself. I also made our CompUSA business sales guy aware of my feelings.

Brad
I refuse to sign waivers for bullsh*t things like that. Once when I declined the store's extended warranty and they wanted a waiver I tore it up in front of the guy's face and walked out and bought the item elsewhere.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
The worst is with Audio cables though. They try to sell you HDMI or Optical cables that are better quality or gold plated for 10x the regular price. When I say to them the information going over those cables is DIGITAL as on 1's and 0's what sort of information is going to become messed up? The info either gets there or it doesn't, it doesn't get interference. They shut up at that point.
We've been over this in previous threads, but: That is not true. In a number of circumstances, the cable used for digital transmission WILL make a measurable and noticeable difference.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
I have never purchased an extended warranty for anything besides my 12'' PowerBook which I'm glad that I did.
Originally Posted by finboy
And laptops. Always on laptops.
Did you know that Power Macs have a higher in-warranty failure rate than Powerbooks?

Component quality being what it is these days (getting 1/10 the size at 10 times the speed/capacity and 1/10 the price has killed reliability in the electronics sector), an extended warranty is a good idea on almost any electronic device, and certainly on a computer.

Your hard drive dying after two years will already have made it worth buying.

MHO.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
We've been over this in previous threads, but: That is not true. In a number of circumstances, the cable used for digital transmission WILL make a measurable and noticeable difference.
Please explain.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 02:10 PM

Please explain.
not again, no.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 02:41 PM

Did you know that Power Macs have a higher in-warranty failure rate than Powerbooks?

Component quality being what it is these days (getting 1/10 the size at 10 times the speed/capacity and 1/10 the price has killed reliability in the electronics sector), an extended warranty is a good idea on almost any electronic device, and certainly on a computer.

Your hard drive dying after two years will already have made it worth buying.

MHO.
Other then laptops, its a waste of money to purchase an extended warrenty. Why do you think stores sell them - they're a cash cow. An insurance policy that's almost guaranteed not have a claim filed on it.

As for the laptop the unit cost of a repair almost certainly will be much much higher then the warrenty and could be close to the actual purchase price. I never heard that PMs have a higher in-warranty failure rate - what are you baseing that on - can your supply the source?

In work and home, I've seen hard drive last for many years well beyond the 2 years you mentioned, in fact none of my mac hard drives (knocks on wood) has failed. That doesn't mean I don't backup but my point is having a hard drive die in two years is unusual.

Mike

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 02:45 PM

I'm no audiophile, but I do think that some of those ultra-expensive cables are a waste, as the data is digital. I think people fall into the trap that they're afraid that after buying such an expensive compenent (be it dvd, stereo or whatever) they don't want to cheap out on the wires, where as it matters little to the actual quality of the signal (audio or video).

Like I said, I'm no audiophile and I have no idea, I'm just applying human nature and common sense to it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Other then laptops, its a waste of money to purchase an extended warrenty. Why do you think stores sell them - they're a cash cow. An insurance policy that's almost guaranteed not have a claim filed on it.

As for the laptop the unit cost of a repair almost certainly will be much much higher then the warrenty and could be close to the actual purchase price. I never heard that PMs have a higher in-warranty failure rate - what are you baseing that on - can your supply the source?

In work and home, I've seen hard drive last for many years well beyond the 2 years you mentioned, in fact none of my mac hard drives (knocks on wood) has failed. That doesn't mean I don't backup but my point is having a hard drive die in two years is unusual.

Mike
a) did you miss the part of my post where I mentioned that Power Macs have a higher failure rate than Powerbooks?

b) Extended warranty is usually cheaper on desktops than on laptops, reflecting cost of repairs (at least, it is at the store I work at).

c) The fact that stores make excellent money on warranty insurance does not mean that it's a bad idea - insurance companies make BILLIONS in profits off homeowners' insurance, and yet, everybody seems to agree that that's one insurance no household should be without.

d) Hard drives, as well as many other components, are, in my experience, increasingly prone to early failure. Like I said, incredibly low cost per performance only goes so far.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 02:55 PM

I'm no audiophile, but I do think that some of those ultra-expensive cables are a waste, as the data is digital. I think people fall into the trap that they're afraid that after buying such an expensive compenent (be it dvd, stereo or whatever) they don't want to cheap out on the wires, where as it matters little to the actual quality of the signal (audio or video).

Like I said, I'm no audiophile and I have no idea, I'm just applying human nature and common sense to it.
"Common sense" does not apply to digital audio.

For example, "Common Sense" dictates audio leads be as short as possible. For some digital cables, a length shorter than about three feet is actually detrimental to the signal and *can* lead to signal corruption.

Just one point. We've been over this (called "jitter") several times in other threads, and it's really off-topic here, so just search and can it, okay?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 03:01 PM

I'm going to call out GameStop and EB games for their horrible aggressive pre-order policies. I'm so sick of being pressured by half-wit 19 year old fanboys every time I purchase anything. Those kids are like sharks... and it comes from the top down. not only that, but a pre-order from one of these stores actually means nothing at all. There is no guarantee on anything. If you don't get your game or console on the first day, tough tittie. It's not their problem.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 05:06 PM

Retailers are in business to make a profit. Christmas only means dollar signs to them.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 05:20 PM

Oi vey, talk about annoying retail people, even the morons at the Best Buy I work at.. I picked up a 5th gen iPod, and yah I got the service plan on it... mainly because if anything does go wrong I'll either get a new one or at least have it fixed AND I get it half price! That said, the moron girl who rang me through seriously PRESSURED me into buying this dumb Seal Leather iPod case, and I'm like well comes with an Arm band and all that and I get it half price so OK fine I'll see if I like it. I take it out of the box, and... It's MADE FOR A FOURTH GEN! The moron doesn't even know her products! I'd never sell anyone a computer without accessories that I KNOW will work with the product, that's why I was only looking at the 5th gen cases of which we have ONE by the look of it.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 09:11 PM

"Common sense" does not apply to digital audio.

Just one point. We've been over this (called "jitter") several times in other threads, and it's really off-topic here, so just search and can it, okay?

I think your wrong, digital signals are just 1's and 0' and are assembled by the receiver or component. To be honest, I think that whole gold tipped, neutronium layered kryptonite infused cables are more of a marketing scam.

Again just using common sense and human nature, stand by the tv area of best buy. You hear the salesmen pressure the unlucky consumer not to skimp on the cables because they will make or break the picture. Maybe for some extremely high end equipment it matters, but for the majority of electronics it does not.

I've worked in stores and its these items that have huge markups, the profit margins on them compared to the electronics is staggering so its no wonder they push for these items.

To be honest, I don't really care to "can it" or "just search" either.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 09:17 PM

I think your wrong, digital signals are just 1's and 0' and are assembled by the receiver or component. To be honest, I think that whole gold tipped, neutronium layered kryptonite infused cables are more of a marketing scam.
Again, this has been covered in detail.

I don't give a flying **** about gold-plated or kryptonite-enforced cables. Much of that (to a point) is snake-oil and bulshite.

Fact is, unless you've been working with digital audio equipment or talked to studio cracks involved in digital audio, you don't know **** if you're applying "common sense" or human nature.

If you don't feel like searching, shut your trap, because I don't feel like going through the whole diatribe again.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 20, 2005, 09:32 PM

CompUSA has never had name-brand RAM for a low enough price for me to even consider buying there. But now I just won't. Their practice equates to forcing you to pay for something that a trained dog can do in order to retain a warranty. Wrong. Not going to happen, whether it's legal or not (and I doubt it is).

And analogika is right; the correct cables for digital data can make a major difference. We're not talking about whether or not there's DC continuity, but rather the impedance of the cable and connectors. Identical looking RCA connectors, for example, can exhibit a variety of different impedances. They typically float around 75 ohms, which is fine for composite video and left and right channel audio. But not for data, which likes higher impedances for cleaner rise and fall times. You need the right cables for digital data to go through correctly.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 09:37 PM

not again, no.
At least point to where you said it cuz I don't remember.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
And analogika is right; the correct cables for digital data can make a major difference. We're not talking about whether or not there's DC continuity, but rather the impedance of the cable and connectors. Identical looking RCA connectors, for example, can exhibit a variety of different impedances. They typically float around 75 ohms, which is fine for composite video and left and right channel audio. But not for data, which likes higher impedances for cleaner rise and fall times. You need the right cables for digital data to go through correctly.
So what is the difference between a "right" cable and one that isn't. I haven't found anyone who can see a differnce between a $20 HDMI cable and a $200 one.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by nerd

Brad
That must be policy of the store manager, and if corporate heard about it, he might be in trouble. No CompUSA store in Michigan has that policy.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 20, 2005, 10:06 PM

So what is the difference between a "right" cable and one that isn't. I haven't found anyone who can see a differnce between a $20 HDMI cable and a $200 one.
The right cable doesn't have to be expensive. The expensive ones like Monster use gold plated connectors and higher quality wire (which resists kinking and breaking), but if you're going to plug stuff in and leave it, just go with the $20 cable.

If money were no object, I'd do everything with Monster cables. But it is an object, so I have to do things the cost-effective way.

(But I am now curious about my digital audio cable between DVD player and amp... Maybe I need to check it to make sure it's a true digital cable...)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 11:26 PM

I'm not sure its unethical, but its weird nonetheless. I needed na new wireless network card because the clods that were working on my house tried to lift/move the desktop computer by the attenna (its my wife's peecee).
The question is why were you out buying that card and not the dudes who worked on your house? Isn't it their responsibility to repair damage that they caused?

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 11:40 PM

The right cable doesn't have to be expensive. The expensive ones like Monster use gold plated connectors and higher quality wire (which resists kinking and breaking), but if you're going to plug stuff in and leave it, just go with the $20 cable.
)
That doesn't really answer the question though. How does a good cable give you better results aside from being more resistant to damage?

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 12:07 AM

Actually, I got better results from better cables setting up my home theater. The crappy cables I was using for my subwoofer weren't giving me the output I expected. Got expensive cables, didn't touch any controls, and the bass I expected came through.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Actually, I got better results from better cables setting up my home theater. The crappy cables I was using for my subwoofer weren't giving me the output I expected. Got expensive cables, didn't touch any controls, and the bass I expected came through.
That isn't a digital signal as far as I know.

Of course good quality Analogue cables will sound better but we are talking DIGITAL here.

nerd
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 01:13 AM

Identical looking RCA connectors, for example, can exhibit a variety of different impedances. They typically float around 75 ohms, which is fine for composite video and left and right channel audio. But not for data, which likes higher impedances for cleaner rise and fall times. You need the right cables for digital data to go through correctly.
This is what I don't understand about this. I work in TV. I've made and hooked up many HD SDI cables which run at 1.5Gb/sec. The only thing I look for when choosing cabling is that it is rated at least 2.5ghz or above. All this cable is 75 ohm $.50 a foot BNC type. For AES or AC3 audio it's over the same BNC type cable. If it's balanced AES or AC3 then we also buy 3 conductor 110 ohm audio cable for the same $.50 a foot. Now yea, we have to watch clock jitter and such but over a 25' run it wouldn't be an issue.

If 75 ohm cable is the standard all broadcast video (NTSC & SD SDI) and HD SDI and runs at that high of a rate then why is it so important to have higher quality cable then I use at work for our home theaters? I just don't get it? Please, I'm not trying to start a flame war just another example of getting quality digital over non Monster brand cable.

Brad

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 08:43 AM

Of course good quality Analogue cables will sound better but we are talking DIGITAL here.
How does the signal change the need for good wire? You're still sending electrons over copper, and you still need for as many of them to get there as possible. If the wire is thin or has high resistance or weak connectors, you could lose part of the signal. With digital, that means you're missing sections. With analog, it means static or fade.

Cell phones went digital a few years ago. Prior to that, you would hear static on the line and people would fade. Now, with digital, people just cut out silently - no static. Digital didn't solve the need for a good connection - it just changed what happened when the connection wasn't good. With cell phones, I'd almost prefer the static because then you at least know the other person can't hear you.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 09:19 AM

"The computer does it automatically"
That, right there, is a lie. The computer does not do that automatically. (It's illegal.) You were rung up by a shady clerk who really likes comissions.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 09:22 AM

I'l have to go to another EB Games and see what happens. The last time I was at my local one was around 3-4 weeks ago and they asked me if I wanted that. The one where this happened was at the Bridgewater Mall where I hardly ever go.

And I'll have to go there with a $2 bill

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 09:26 AM

I think your [Analogika] wrong.
No, he's right. End of story.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

hart
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 12:31 PM

My mother got identity thefted last summer and what with cancelling everything in her life she tried to close her AOL account. They kept insisting on keeping it open for a month. They simply would not terminate her account. Well, since she cancelled the credit card that was paying for it they couldn't charge her but the compromised AOL account still lingered on for a month.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 01:17 PM

If money were no object, I'd do everything with Monster cables. But it is an object, so I have to do things the cost-effective way.
Just for the record, my friend and I both purchased Monster Cables for our PS2s some years ago and, in addition to showing no noticable enhancement to the picture quality, both have failed in three years time. Both have a weird loose connection somewhere which causes all color to drop out and the picture to be come black and white, until somebody gets up from the couch to jiggle the cable so that the color returns.

$30 well spent
"The best part about breaking up with someone is moving all your porn from C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2\lib\zi\Pacific to C:\Porn."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
How does the signal change the need for good wire? You're still sending electrons over copper, and you still need for as many of them to get there as possible. If the wire is thin or has high resistance or weak connectors, you could lose part of the signal. With digital, that means you're missing sections. With analog, it means static or fade.
Isn't that exactly what I said in my first post on the matter. With digital it either gets there or it doesn't. The only interference you could hear is a drop out in sound yet with analog it can be any number of things.

Since I have never heard a single sound drop out on my digital audio signals I can assume my cheap digital cables are doing exactly what they should be doing and a cable that is 10x the cost will not make anything better.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 21, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
Cell phones went digital a few years ago. Prior to that, you would hear static on the line and people would fade. Now, with digital, people just cut out silently - no static. Digital didn't solve the need for a good connection - it just changed what happened when the connection wasn't good. With cell phones, I'd almost prefer the static because then you at least know the other person can't hear you.
That's an incredibly simplistic view. What you are ignoring is the tremendous difference in transmission power. Digital cellphones receive and transmit FAR weaker signals than analog phones to achieve the same signal quality. Thus, if you had a digital phone with the same signal strength as an analog phone, you'd probably have near zero dropouts. Remember that signal strength is kept to the minimum necessary in order to improve battery life and reduce microwave exposure to the user. An analog phone with the same transmission power as a digital phone would be essentially useless.

Regardless, the point is that all else held equal, digital is far more resilient to signal problems. While it is important that signals arrive accurately, the types of signal loss that digital is sensitive to may not be the same as what analog is sensitive to, so cable choices are important. But pretty much any cable for digital use that is marketed for its purpose is going to meet the minimum specs, and for most uses, that's all you need.

tooki

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
That's an incredibly simplistic view. What you are ignoring is the tremendous difference in transmission power. Digital cellphones receive and transmit FAR weaker signals than analog phones to achieve the same signal quality. Thus, if you had a digital phone with the same signal strength as an analog phone, you'd probably have near zero dropouts. Remember that signal strength is kept to the minimum necessary in order to improve battery life and reduce microwave exposure to the user. An analog phone with the same transmission power as a digital phone would be essentially useless.
I will happily give up some of my battery life to have it not cut out. I guess it's easier to quantify battery life than call quality on the marketing literature.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 06:01 PM

Isn't that exactly what I said in my first post on the matter. With digital it either gets there or it doesn't. The only interference you could hear is a drop out in sound
Wrong.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Wrong.
If that is as much as you are going to contribute don't bother.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2005, 06:53 PM

I had Comcast come out and install cable a few years back. It was one of those 30 days free promo. After a week I called them up and cancelled the service, and asked them to come out and remove the cable (I really hate that black, bulky wire, coming from the post across my yard to the house). They said "No way", I said "Yes way", got my wire scissors, snipped it off my house and from the post, and no more ugly wires across my yard.

Not really related, but I thought it was a nice story.

Don't bother Dark Helmet. He is always right.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 07:17 PM

This topic has been covered at length elsewhere in the lounge. Do a search.

I'm not going to educate you further on the matter because, quite frankly, you aren't paying me enough to do so.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 21, 2005, 07:39 PM

What do you contribute SWF?

Other than acting the smarmy homosexual cliche?

And no, that wasn't an attack against homosexuals. So don't try and spin it as such.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
This topic has been covered at length elsewhere in the lounge. Do a search.

I'm not going to educate you further on the matter because, quite frankly, you aren't paying me enough to do so.
If you are so offended with what I say save the time it takes you to post "Wrong" and "Do a search" you could easily post a link to the conclusive evidence.

Until then at least I got something to say rather than your above quotes.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 21, 2005, 07:45 PM

Dark, these people are in the audio field. They have no reason to lie.

You are not. You don't know what you are talking about. You often, make up stuff, and exaggerate on topics you know nothing about.

Why are you even arguing with these guys in the subject?

Do you not realize this is what they get payed to do?

I guess that does matter really. You get payed to do graphics, yet still use Photoshop for everything.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 08:00 PM

*ahem* back on track.

I went to a different EB Games and they ASKED me if I wanted the warranty. I told the clerk the story and he said it was against company policy to do that. So, I called the EBG where this happened and the manager said that they're allowed to do it the way they did.

/shrug

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2005, 10:09 PM

Doofy is well-known for making short, inane remarks.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2005, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
Doofy is well-known for making short, perceptive remarks.
Correctinated.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 11:22 PM

So, I called the EBG where this happened and the manager said that they're allowed to do it the way they did.
So it's a manager at the store telling the employees to do it.

Contact EB/GameStop headquarters. Not only does that have to be against company policy, it's illegal.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 03:36 AM

Gamestop and EB are unethical horrible companies. I don't shop there anymore for a lot of reasons. Screw those guys.
I just had quite a different experience @ EB Games. I bought a refurbished XBox for one game, which shall remain nameless. After playing said game for one weekend, I realized it pretty much sucked. I took it back to EB Games with a long face, saw the very same clerk and he refunded my money with no hassle whatsoever. If I pick up a next-gen system down the road, I'd buy from them if their price was competitive. I'd certainly buy games from them... Again, if their prices were inline.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules