Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTouch - buyer's remorse?

iTouch - buyer's remorse?
pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2007, 08:48 PM

I got my iTouch the day it came out. Being someone who always finds something to like in Apple products ("Hey that //c box is sleek") I tried my darnest to like it. No joy. It does quite a few things - but other then YOUTUBE - none of them that well. Listening to music on it was way too hard. I sold it and took the lost.

I'm interested in how other early adopters like the device.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 08:55 PM

i have the iphone and love it, couldn't be happier. one device does everything fairly well.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2007, 08:57 PM

I can't image how you think it doesn't do web, calenders, contact, videos, music "well".

You'd have to be a complete idiot not to know how to use any of those features. If you think there are better easier alternatives from any another company good luck.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2007, 09:18 PM

I am waiting a while for it to mature. Once it has all the basic functions of a PDA, I'd get one. Note taking and calendar entry would be good. (I believe it just got calendar entries recently, no?) When I was big into eBay, I literally used my Newton which I had gotten on eBay to store peoples addresses for shipping their stuff. I still have that Newton. I'd really like to replace it with a worthy iTouch. It's close, but not quite. They don't even have to market it as a PDA. Just put in the functions. I'm not saying Apple, go after the PDA market. Just add in apps that do this stuff. Or allow adding these apps without hacking. Here's hoping for that SDK.

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2007, 09:34 PM

<>You'd have to be a complete idiot not to know how to use any of those features.

Well I said I was not ... enamored by the iTouch not that I did not know how to use it. I'm an Apple user from the days of C/PM and 16K language Cards - so not been happy with a new design is surely permissible without being an idiot.
Then again - my partner agrees with the idiot part - but for other reasons.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
I can't image how you think it doesn't do web, calenders, contact, videos, music "well".

You'd have to be a complete idiot not to know how to use any of those features. If you think there are better easier alternatives from any another company good luck.
Until last week, the iPod touch did not support iCal event entry. No mail support either.

amyjones09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 12:01 AM

I love my ipod touch it does everything perfectly

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Until last week, the iPod touch did not support iCal event entry. No mail support either.
Ya well it does iCal fine since hte last update but who said anything about mail? This thing is an ipod not a PDA nore iphone.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2007, 12:29 AM

It should be a PDA. It's too close not to be. The PDA market is pretty much spread out now. It used to be a PDA is a PDA. Now everything is a PDA in some way. So the iPod Touch should share those PDA capabilities. Either through Apple software or third party software. It's only natural. Anyone who doesn't want the iTouch to be a PDA likes carrying multiple devices.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
This thing is an ipod not a PDA nore iphone.
That's like saying the iPhone is a phone, not a PDA.

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007, 01:13 AM

<>I love my ipod touch it does everything perfectly

Even as a music player? That is where I found the iTouch lacking. Mind you - I'm a compulsive volume adjuster.

Tanguero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 03:17 AM

I'm now on my <emphasis added for hyperbolic effect>SECOND</> iPod touch.

I just updated to 1.1.2 and now Safari does not work. At all. Seems like things are far more likely to break than I'd like. Most of my time with the touch is spent trying to find a really strong wi-fi signal and dealing with Safari issues.

I'm close to returning it but the part I love the most -- displaying my artwork in a slideshow -- is simply too compelling. Showing my art to potential buyers is a feature I never really thought about. I was buying it for the wi-fi and as a music player.

It's also annoyingly cumbersome to update everything. I'm not diggin' the iTunes interface for this. Uh-uh.

Time will tell.

Any theories as to why Safari just will not work?

Lawrence Standifer Stevens
A Lump in My Throat: The Battle Begins

ewiser
Nov 13, 2007, 06:26 AM

I carry my Touch around a lot more that my older iPods. As I can do more with it.
I hacked mine to add some games. I use Safari when I can use WiFi. Check my mail using Web Mail.
Play video the bigger screen is great I sync Tivo recorded shows so I can watch them at work during lunch. Play music all the time. Now if they could make a nice controller for in pocket use it would be nice. I generally have the an iPod on lock in my pocket as I don't like the random skips you can get with out lock on.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 13, 2007, 06:30 AM

The day it gets hardware volume control buttons it will be... more perfect...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
The day it gets hardware volume control buttons it will be... more perfect...
Kinda defeats the entire "touch" concept, no? The whole idea was a buttonless touch interface.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2007, 11:28 AM

I want to love the iPod touch so much.. but from my small experience with them at an Apple Store, I was left disappointed.

As others have felt, I found the sifting through music to be a little bit cumbersome. That being said, it wasn't a deal breaker.

The deal breaker for me is the apparent speed of page loading in safari. At least in the Apple store I visited (Chicago, Michigan Ave store) on all 4 touch's I tried, it was like a bad flashback to the days of 14.4k modems. Pages were taking 20+ seconds to load, and there was no real indication of loading (just a white background). Please tell me this slow load speed is because of over-saturation/use of the Apple Store Wifi.

The other issue I was having is typing/clicking on the thing. I dont have terribly large fingers, but I just couldn't seem to hit exactly the right spot to type. I guess that just comes with practice, but I spent half my time hitting the delete key to fix my mistakes.

gheff
Nov 14, 2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
As others have felt, I found the sifting through music to be a little bit cumbersome. That being said, it wasn't a deal breaker.
Perhaps it's due to where I'm coming from, but I find it much easier to get to my music than I used to. I was running a 3G for the longest time. Unlike the 5G's it gives you no alphabetic cues as you scroll.

I love being able to tap a letter down the right side to get me close, and then swiping for the rest of it. Much faster than spinning the wheel, overshooting, backing up, overshooting etc.

The deal breaker for me is the apparent speed of page loading in safari. At least in the Apple store I visited (Chicago, Michigan Ave store) on all 4 touch's I tried, it was like a bad flashback to the days of 14.4k modems. Pages were taking 20+ seconds to load, and there was no real indication of loading (just a white background). Please tell me this slow load speed is because of over-saturation/use of the Apple Store Wifi.
I can't tell you that it is due to over-saturation. I can tell you that on my home network, it is slower than my MBP, but not 14.4 slow.

The other issue I was having is typing/clicking on the thing. I dont have terribly large fingers, but I just couldn't seem to hit exactly the right spot to type. I guess that just comes with practice, but I spent half my time hitting the delete key to fix my mistakes.
I've apparently been adjusting. My hands are small, but I had some trouble at first too. It's getting better over time but I agree that some improvement here would not be amiss.

Overall, I have no remorse about my purchase. Quite the opposite. (Especially now that the bug at the top of my hate list appears to be fixed in 1.1.2)

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by gheff View Post
Perhaps it's due to where I'm coming from, but I find it much easier to get to my music than I used to. I was running a 3G for the longest time. Unlike the 5G's it gives you no alphabetic cues as you scroll.

I love being able to tap a letter down the right side to get me close, and then swiping for the rest of it. Much faster than spinning the wheel, overshooting, backing up, overshooting etc.
Good point. I guess like anything it is what you are used to, and to be fair, I only played with the touch for 15-20 minutes.

I can't tell you that it is due to over-saturation. I can tell you that on my home network, it is slower than my MBP, but not 14.4 slow.
How much slower than your MBP? Is it a significant difference, or just a "ya know, I think this is a bit slower than my MBP" kind of a feeling?

I've apparently been adjusting. My hands are small, but I had some trouble at first too. It's getting better over time but I agree that some improvement here would not be amiss.

Overall, I have no remorse about my purchase. Quite the opposite. (Especially now that the bug at the top of my hate list appears to be fixed in 1.1.2)
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I really do want to take the plunge, I just dont want to end up with a gadget that'll be sitting in a drawer somewhere. I'll have to give it a bit more of a chance, and see if I like it more.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Kinda defeats the entire "touch" concept, no? The whole idea was a buttonless touch interface.
The iPhone has volume buttons, and works that way in iPod mode (I guess). I use my 3rd generation iPod for train travels (with my eyes closed) or even try to fall asleep at home f.e., so now the only way is to adjust volume is to look at it? The Touch has even still no supported remote.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
The iPhone has volume buttons, and works that way in iPod mode (I guess). I use my 3rd generation iPod for train travels (with my eyes closed) or even try to fall asleep at home f.e., so now the only way is to adjust volume is to look at it? The Touch has even still no supported remote.
that's the same worry that I have, I really want a touch but I use my iPod all of the time and when I'm walking I adjust it in my pocket or when I sleep it's tucked under my pillow... the touch precludes doing this.

regardless of the "gosh" factor, I see this as a regressive step in usability. Google the original launch video for the iPod and Jonathan Ives is gushing about the "obviousness" of the design, and the lack of learning curve. I played with a touch and it was this aspect that I felt was diminished.

am I a naysayer? not really:

1) iPod 1st Gen - 5Gb (sold)
2) iPod 2nd Gen - 10Gb (still going strong)
3) iPod 3rd Gen - 30Gb (donated to friend)
4) iPod shuffle 1st Gen - 1Gb (still going strong)
5) iPod 5th Gen - 60Gb (still going strong, but wonks out from time to time)
6) iPod shuffle 2nd Gen - 1Gb (still going strong)
7) Who knows...

so I'm kind of lusting after the sleekness of the touch, but my iPod heart is nagging at me to get a classic and lap up the 160Gb of love.

it's a long walk back to, "I want the iPod'.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
That's really difficult to get your head around: you have to learn to trust the device.

Don't try to out-think it: it's better at correcting your typos than you are.

Just type. Just hack out the words; don't bother aiming all-too-finely. Just grind away, hit space, next word, hit space. The typing recognition is built to compensate, and it's AMAZINGLY good in my experience.

Just type out what you were going to say, and then go back over the text and correct any errors using the loupe. There will be surprisingly few, if any.

It's weird, but hey, it's Apple: They know what you're gonna be wanting.

Gig103
Nov 20, 2007, 12:17 PM

It isn't perfect, but mobile Safari works well for me, and come February the software kit will be out, allowing aftermarket apps. Would volume buttons like the iPhone make it better? Definitely. Do I manage w/o them? Yes, but every case is different. I don't blame you, OP.
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 20, 2007, 12:49 PM

So far I have no real complaints about my iPod Touch. Reviews of it
remind me of Walt Mossberg's getting ready to throw it out the window on the iPhone.
The best way to type is to practice and do it while sitting or standing. Bookmark most visited websites for one touch browsing. If you hold down the letter with your finger this will help avoid mispelling words. I am an early adopted because it has adequate space for music(just a little less than 20 gb model). Movies and videos will eat up battery life so carry a charger with you.
I love the lock/unlock feature. I don't have to fumble with it in the car or walking and the volume doesn't go really loud all of a sudden. If you are an artist it is a great device to
show off your work. =)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 02:51 PM

I opted for the classic model over the touch purely because I'm more interested in having a music device as opposed to a device that you can surf, play music, etc. With the classic, I have more storage and the hardware buttons to easily adjust the music. With the touch it would be nearly impossible for me to do that while standing in a crowded subway.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 20, 2007, 07:41 PM

I just went to iLounge.com and they have a touch version
of their website. I hope to see more of these types of pages at Apple.com or Macnn

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2007, 10:56 AM

I love my iPod touch! (By the way, it's not called an iTouch, that just sounds retarded). I use mine and I actually find it EASIER to control than my 5G iPod. To find an artist I want to listen to, I just use the alphabet on the side to quickly jump to that letter and BANG, I'm there... this would have taken a lot of scrolling and scanning with my eyes before I saw the artist I wanted on my 5G. The other thing I absolutely love about the iPod touch is when I'm listening to songs on Shuffle and I suddenly hear an artist or a song I absolutely love and I realize I wanna hear more of the same... I just flip the album cover over and choose another song on the same album or if I wanna hear a different album by the same artist, I just flip the iPod sideways and find another album... wicked easy. Also, sometimes I don't feel like sitting at my computer if I wanna browse the web for a few minutes. I just take the iPod out of my pocket and check what I need to check and them I'm done. I really like it. Of course I hacked it so now I have mail and weather and notes and maps as well as sketches and chat but, hey... not everyone knows how to hack this thing, so that's why I didn't mention those in my review.

Cold Warrior
Nov 22, 2007, 11:00 AM

how'd you get Mail on it? I've had trouble finding information on getting Mail without having an iPhone as well.

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 22, 2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
The other thing I absolutely love about the iPod touch is when I'm listening to songs on Shuffle and I suddenly hear an artist or a song I absolutely love and I realize I wanna hear more of the same... I just flip the album cover over and choose another song on the same album or if I wanna hear a different album by the same artist, I just flip the iPod sideways and find another album... wicked easy.
Good points.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
how'd you get Mail on it? I've had trouble finding information on getting Mail without having an iPhone as well.
There's TONS of information about hacking the iPod. A search wouldn't hurt you. iPod touch Jailbreak - iPod touch Fans forum

Cold Warrior
Nov 22, 2007, 04:02 PM

yeah spaz, like I said, I've had trouble finding specific info on getting Mail onto a touch, including where to find the app itself. If I've had trouble, it implies I've searched. A lot.

But thanks for the link anyway.

TyPod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 05:49 PM

After Jailbreaking my iPod touch, I have enjoyed it so much more. It was extremely nice before the jailbreak, but after it was like getting a brand new iPod. So many cool applications you can install and have fun with. My iPod touch does "freeze" up quite often after the Jailbreak, but it's something I would expect after hacking the original software.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
yeah spaz, like I said, I've had trouble finding specific info on getting Mail onto a touch, including where to find the app itself. If I've had trouble, it implies I've searched. A lot.

But thanks for the link anyway.
Wow, you must really suck at searching then because I don't know anyone on the INSIDE but, yet I was able to get everything for the iPod touch. How come I can find it but, you can't? We all use the same internet. Is there some sort of security in place on your system that prevents normal searches on your Mac?

But, I guess if you really really really must know how to get Mail on your iPod. First you have to jailbreak it by going to AppSnapp (wow, that was hard... especially because it's posted ALL over the internet and in so many places in that forum) also, then you're going to need to open Installer.app on your iPod and touch "Sources" and add a new source with this URL: Apple's Repository ... after you add that source, click on Install and refresh the list. Then you should see iPhone Apps in there under "iPhone 1.1.1 Apps for iPod touch" and "iPhone 1.1.2 Apps for iPod touch". Also, there are other ways of getting iPhone apps... such as doing a search and finding the Apps manually with Google... there are a ton of people hosting them on file sharing sites or some people just download the 1.1.1 iPhone firmware or the 1.1.2 iPhone firmware image and extract them from that. What's the big deal. I did it and it's so easy that it makes me wonder what you're searching for in the first place.

Yes, and I did say you suck at searching.

Cold Warrior
Nov 22, 2007, 11:58 PM

WTF is your problem? I simply said I'd had difficulty, and asked nicely for help. You shoot back some lip, and get your panties in a bunch.

Again, WTF?

This is what this forum is for. To help out. If you can't help out someone who's been a member since 2001, with thousands of posts under his belt helping out others, then maybe you should take a time out.

Seriously.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2007, 01:19 AM

Wow, was it really necessary to be so uncivil? He was being quite polite and asking for help and you DID say that not everyone knows how to hack this thing.

Unfortunately, I think people are starting to treat all forums like the Digg comments...

/rant

Yes, and I did say you suck at searching.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2007, 11:27 AM

Well he did say the first time, how do you get Mail on it... so I sent him a link full of TONS of info on how to hack the iPod and if you look at that link, there's also info on how to add the iPhone apps to it... Then he comes back and says he tried searching and couldn't find anything. That's weird because I don't belong to a special elite members only club that gets this inside info... it's all over the net and if he was good at searching, he would have found his answer in 2 seconds like I did and it's a piece of cake to install too... I can't imagine how anyone can have trouble doing this.

1. Jailbreak the iPod with AppSnapp
2. Open Installer.app
3. Add Apple's Repository to your sources
4. Install iPhone apps.
5. Done, next.

All I'm saying is... that info can be found everywhere, you just gotta search. So I don't think I was being too hard on him... plus, the original subject was about regretting buying the iPod touch, not how to hack it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2007, 11:34 AM

I didn't know the iTouch doesn't have external volume controls. That sucks. One should be able to control the volume and the music without looking at the player (by touch, perhaps?). Anything less makes it harder to use.

The iPhone barely accomplishes this (requires iPhone headphone with mic control). The iTouch does not do this at all.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
I didn't know the iTouch doesn't have external volume controls. That sucks. One should be able to control the volume and the music without looking at the player (by touch, perhaps?). Anything less makes it harder to use.

The iPhone barely accomplishes this (requires iPhone headphone with mic control). The iTouch does not do this at all.
My iPod touch (not iTouch) has external volume control... it's called my car stereo but, when I'm using my headphones I don't really need to change the volume constantly and it's not much of a hassle to do it. Plus, you can change the volume from wherever you are on the iPod by double clicking the home button... on previous iPods, you HAD to be viewing the current song in order to change the volume... how handy is that? If you're browsing tracks on your 5G iPod, you have to hit the menu button, go back to the main screen, scroll down, choose "Currently Playing" and then change the volume... that is more work than double clicking and having the volume control right there.

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2007, 12:00 PM

Well he did say the first time, how do you get Mail on it... so I sent him a link full of TONS of info on how to hack the iPod and if you look at that link, there's also info on how to add the iPhone apps to it... Then he comes back and says he tried searching and couldn't find anything.
Wrong. I chided you for your tone in the first reply, then thanked you for the link. Then you come back under the impression that your first link wasn't helpful, or that I didn't use it. Wrong on all counts, and you blow up in a rude tirade and provide more links.

So I don't think I was being too hard on him...
Don't sweat my feelings, spaz, just police up your attitude and don't be such an asshole.
plus, the original subject was about regretting buying the iPod touch, not how to hack it.
As if slight deviations from a specific topic to a general one (still about the Touch) are not allowed? Never happen on forums?

Get a grip.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2007, 12:03 PM

Your reply to my link made it sound like you already tried there and it still didn't help. I'm sorry. I've been in kind of a bad mood lately... it's not your fault... I'm usually much more helpful than this. It just seems like a lot of people are asking the same exact questions and not searching because the answers literally are everywhere. Again, I'm sorry for being rude and that's not good behavior.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2007, 07:40 PM

So the Mail.app that can be added to a hacked 1.1.2 device is the same as iPhone, right; capable of doing Gmail IMAP, etc? I haven't had a chance to play much with Mail so not sure how it handles folders and all, but having Mail handy on a portable device would be handy.

Guess the newly released GPS function on Google Mobile Maps wouldn't work either since the Touch doesn't have any cell phone functionality; oh well...

Also, I forgot to ask if native playback for Xvid is possible? I haven't followed the hacking stuff too closely but I know there are tools to convert Xvid to MP4 for iPhone/Touch.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules