Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > best way to go from 8mm video to computer?

best way to go from 8mm video to computer?
funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2008, 05:41 PM

I have many old 8mm tapes that I have no player for (the old RCA analog hi 8 camera doesn't play back tapes properly), and I want to get the video onto my mac. Can anyone recommend a good, fairly low cost way of doing this? Most digital8 players, which would do what I want, cost $250 on eBay plus shipping, and I will never use it again after that... Anyone have a lower cost or more practical idea?

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2008, 05:53 PM

I'm in the same boat, the old hi 8 doesn't work anymore and I want to digitize old family footage. I'll be watching this thread, but I suspect there will not be an inexpensive answer.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 05:59 PM

The best might be to find a local service that does it. They are all over.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It seems creepy to hand over my videos to a company though... I'd prefer inexpensive equipment and I do it as I go... I will then digitize it all, and simultaneously take all the quality clips and make a "Best of" sort of video

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post

This is what I was thinking, but could run into bux depending on how much footage.

I'd say putting the camera back on ebay when you're done might be the cheapest route. The whole deal may cost you close to nothing.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 06:04 PM

I went through this with my 8mm tapes a couple years ago. I called around to a couple camera shops and asked which camcorders they rented. Then I looked up the specs to make sure that it would play the old analog 8mm tapes. I paid about $30 for the day, as I recall, and the camcorder output the video playback over the firewire port so I was able to capture all my old home movies to computer quite effortlessly

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I went through this with my 8mm tapes a couple years ago. I called around to a couple camera shops and asked which camcorders they rented. Then I looked up the specs to make sure that it would play the old analog 8mm tapes. I paid about $30 for the day, as I recall, and the camcorder output the video playback over the firewire port so I was able to capture all my old home movies to computer quite effortlessly
Nice idea! Would just need to get the tapes to my computer, and then could just spend a day transferring video... the fastest one can transfer is 1:1 though, correct? So if I have 50 hours of tapes, I'll be needing the camera for a week... maybe a week checkout would only be $90 though, and still cheaper than buying the darn camera...

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 11:23 PM

I have had trouble finding a place to rent a camera from... recommendations on that?

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2008, 11:48 PM

Look into using a Canopus Analog to Digital Video converter. They have various models, each feature FireWire output directly to iMovie. You'll only have to connect the tape player to the RCA or SVideo input of the Canopus then the FireWire cable to your Mac. Super easy

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy View Post
It seems creepy to hand over my videos to a company though...
Oh, it's those kinds of movies

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2008, 03:33 AM

The internet eagerly awaits...

Forum Links
Forum Rules