Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone a tech person at a hotel?

Anyone a tech person at a hotel?
funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2011, 07:58 PM

I am wondering about the microphones used at hotel conference rooms.

For the wireless mics, do they transmit their audio in the clear, or are they somehow encrypted?

And for wired mics, are they typically PBX connections on the wall, or maybe on the floor closer to a lectern?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2011, 08:47 PM

<--- has never heard of encrypted wireless mics.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2011, 09:37 PM

FWIW most Plantronics wireless phone headsets are encrypted these days.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2011, 09:45 PM

At the conference center/hotel I work at, they're just normal mics. Depending on the size of the room, the wired plugs can be either in the wall or on the floor of the stage, if the room is so equipped.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2011, 10:36 PM

Some wireless mics in the broadcasting industry use direct-sequence spread spectrum technology, which are not encrypted per se, but are difficult to intercept nonetheless.

Direct-sequence spread spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2011, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Think I'll stroll down to my nearest hotel and check stuff out. I've got an idea for a product that could help conferences, but part of it will depend on how wireless mics work, since I think they are pretty common at many places.

Mitchell, by normal mic, you're talking just a TRS plug?

Has anybody ever seen a stereo microphone in a hotel conference room? Or are they always mono? I'd have to think always mono...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2011, 10:40 PM

In any case, wouldn't vary *widely* from hotel to hotel and be a question best posed to the hotel you plan to be speaking at?

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
In any case, wouldn't vary *widely* from hotel to hotel and be a question best posed to the hotel you plan to be speaking at?
As long as it doesn't vary widely, that's key. I am not doing any speaking myself, but instead I'm thinking about a product that would help speakers at hotels. Part of it depends on being able to intercept the audio.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 14, 2011, 11:05 PM

The product monitors audience members for their eye-open % of time. Then uses directional speakers to send higher volume to anyone falling asleep. ( < 90% open time )

We're developing it in hotels, and it will sell well there. But the serious money will come from church sales after it's all debugged.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The product monitors audience members for their eye-open % of time. Then uses directional speakers to send higher volume to anyone falling asleep. ( < 90% open time )

We're developing it in hotels, and it will sell well there. But the serious money will come from church sales after it's all debugged.
Use the directional audio that MIT developed and have the church version send some wrath / voice of God to sleepy parishioners. They will likely wake up quickly after that.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 12:56 AM

This is what we use at work and when I worked at a Hotel in the past was a similar one.

polycom soundstation 2w wireless conference phone

has voice encryption and long range.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by funkboy View Post
Thanks for the info. Think I'll stroll down to my nearest hotel and check stuff out. I've got an idea for a product that could help conferences, but part of it will depend on how wireless mics work, since I think they are pretty common at many places.

Mitchell, by normal mic, you're talking just a TRS plug?

Has anybody ever seen a stereo microphone in a hotel conference room? Or are they always mono? I'd have to think always mono...
Example of common high-end wireless vocal microphone system

Considering that the audio caried over wireless microphone systems are, 99% of the time, intended for public broadcast, encryption is an almost completely moot issue; I can't see there being much of a market for it, aside from some very specialized scenarios perhaps.

'Normal' mics in the context of signal transmition would be ones using a standard hardwired XLR connector, which is just about the only connector used in the world of professional microphones (aside, of course, from specialized compact connectors used often with microphones intended for use with preamp and/or wireless beltpacks).

In my experience, stereo microphones are used infrequently though they do exist. Typical reasons to avoid them are that they don't offer the flexibility that using two "mono" microphones do, and they require specialized cabling (5-Pin XLR, typically, as opposed to the MUCH more commong 3-Pin XLR), amongst others. In a permanent installation they would be more practical, but most hotels use a combination of mobile audio equipment (mics, mixers, outboard processing gear) coupled with permanently installed infrastructure (speakers, amplifiers, cabling) to provide them with maximum flexibility when it comes to catering to each individual client's room plan and budget which makes it beneficial for them to conform to industry standards.

Hope that helps.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 01:22 AM

Gradient,
Thanks so much for this response. Exactly the kind of info I'm seeking.

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Considering that the audio caried over wireless microphone systems are, 99% of the time, intended for public broadcast, encryption is an almost completely moot issue; I can't see there being much of a market for it, aside from some very specialized scenarios perhaps.
Perfect - just what I was hoping for, actually.

'Normal' mics in the context of signal transmition would be ones using a standard hardwired XLR connector, which is just about the only connector used in the world of professional microphones (aside, of course, from specialized compact connectors used often with microphones intended for use with preamp and/or wireless beltpacks).
Any examples of the specialized compact connectors for use with wireless beltpacks? Are they ever standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm from the lapel mic to the beltpack?

Also, what do you think the popularity is of wireless beltpacks / mics to wired mics in today's hotel conference room environment? Do these wireless systems make up 50% of mics in use, or are they in the minority and wired is still the preferred way to go?

In my experience, stereo microphones are used infrequently though they do exist. Typical reasons to avoid them are that they don't offer the flexibility that using two "mono" microphones do, and they require specialized cabling (5-Pin XLR, typically, as opposed to the MUCH more commong 3-Pin XLR), amongst others. In a permanent installation they would be more practical, but most hotels use a combination of mobile audio equipment (mics, mixers, outboard processing gear)
And this mobile audio equipment would be 3-pin XLR typically, correct?

Hope that helps.
Totally. Thank you!

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 01:53 AM

Any examples of the specialized compact connectors for use with wireless beltpacks? Are they ever standard 2.5mm or 3.5mm from the lapel mic to the beltpack?
This varies considerably by manufacturer. Sennheiser commonly uses 3.5mm TRS jacks on their wireless products, while Shure typically uses either TA4, which is a 4-pin unit or TA3, which are the 3-pin version, jacks (these are also known as Mini-XLR to some). Audio Technica, on the other hand, use a 4-Pin Hirose connector. There are others, of course, but these are the three manufacturers I'm most familiar with. Forgive the craptastic links, I don't have my product guides handy.

Also, what do you think the popularity is of wireless beltpacks / mics to wired mics in today's hotel conference room environment? Do these wireless systems make up 50% of mics in use, or are they in the minority and wired is still the preferred way to go?

It really depends on the application (and the client's budget) but if I had to put a number on it I would say that 60-80% of hotel events probably use wireless mics in one way or another but 75% of mics in use are probably hardwired when you factor in all applications. The bottom line is that, much like computer networking, if it's practical to hard wire it that's what you do because it is definitely the most reliable and cost-effective solution in the grand scheme of things. Wireless mics are typically only used for the key mics, and only then if they need to be mobile. For example, if the speaker/performer is seated or standing at a fixed lectern then they would be using a hard wired mic; if part of their presentation/performance involves moving across the stage then they will probably be given a wireless mic.

There are exceptions to these examples, of course, as there are plenty of people out there who will insist on having a wireless mic even when they clearly don't need one, much like there plenty of people who insist that their 32" TV be capable of 1080p even though it will make zero difference and in the end just cost them more money.
( Last edited by gradient; Nov 15, 2011 at 02:19 AM. )

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2011, 02:03 AM

That's the standard when it comes to microphones and primary I/O connections, yes. 1/4" TRS is also very common for interfacing outboard equipment with consoles (Auxiliary outputs, Insert Points...etc.) as well as for line level inputs and is used for primary output connections on many low-end consoles as well. This is simply due to the more compact form factor of the 1/4" surface-mount jack as opposed to XLR which lets the manufacturer stuff more connections into the available space on the chassis. This doesn't really impact things much, though, as 1/4"TRS to XLR adapters are easily made to order so XLR is very much the standard when it comes to the I/O portion of permanently installed equipment and the secondary I/O connections from the console typically don't interface with the permanently installed equipment at all.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 07:18 AM

And the really serious money will go to the blind audience members' lawyers.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2011, 08:24 AM

Might be good for university lecturers and even schoolteachers butI really think you should let people sleep in churches.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules