Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius

Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius (Page 14)
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2011, 10:31 PM

iPad 1024x768 = 720p(1280x720) with cropping

Fire 1024x600 = scaling down from 720p(1820x720) to (1076x600)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Never mind, it says "HQ."

I don't think the iPad can play Netflix in HD either? It looks pretty much the same to me on the Fire as my iPad 1.

As a side note, the Fire seems to be faster browsing the web IMO than the original iPad, but not iPad 2.
IPad plays Netflix in 720p. The Fire plays in scaled up 480p.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hayesk
Dec 21, 2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I paid more fixing and maintaining an Accord than I did either of my M3s. Damned fine cars.
Anecdotal evidence is an oxymoron. Statistically speaking, Hondas are more reliable than BMW by far, and cheaper to to maintain.

hayesk
Dec 21, 2011, 11:55 AM

Oh God, so booooring. Here I am, motoring down the freeway in my little hybrid that's about as much fun to drive as a washing machine and as cool as a colonoscopy.
You're hopeless if you can't see how ridiculously conceited and irrelevant that statement is.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2011, 12:59 PM

Personally, I happen to agree with him 100% on everything he said. Different tastes of people, that's all.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
You're hopeless if you can't see how ridiculously conceited and irrelevant that statement is.
It's quite relevant, and it's true.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 02:45 PM

I do notice that you completely ignored my response to that bit.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 02:51 PM

Which one? I've had a lot of people yelling at once.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 03:41 PM

Meh. The bottom line is that some people will enjoy the Fire and won't care that it's not an iPad. And some people will keep buying the iPad. The Fire isn't meant to be an iPad competitor, and the iPad isn't meant to be Kindle Fire competitor. There may always be a small amount of overlap, but people will always buy the best product they can afford. Not everyone has $500 to blow on a tablet, and $200 will always be more attractive to that set. Not everyone cares about 2" of screen real estate difference. And not everyone cares about what version of Android their tablet runs. And considering the other tablets on the market for ~$200, the Fire is way above those.

Personally, I find my Fire more enjoyable to use than my original iPad. But that's just me. I like that it's not a standard grid of icons on a huge home screen, I like that it's light, has a great display with good pixel density, and that it feels tough as nails. I never use my iPad for more than web browsing, light reading, or a couple games of Angry Birds anyway, and the Fire does those tasks perfectly well. I know that seems inconceivable to Shaddim, but, well, I don't really care, because I enjoy the product. That's the bottom line with a tablet: buy the product that you'll enjoy the most, not that has the best specs. Specs are meaningless in both the tablet and smartphone game.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 04:02 PM

Personally, I think you like it, or say you like it, just to be contrary. I find it difficult to believe that with its bugs, stuttering, screen size, and overall lackluster performance that you can be that enamored with the device, given your experience with mobile gadgets. But, whatever.

I've used the thing, it isn't nearly what you say and even at $200 it's very unimpressive.
( Last edited by Shaddim; Dec 21, 2011 at 06:03 PM. )
- Thomas Paine

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2011, 04:21 PM

To the people who keep bringing up the supposed stuttering or bad performance - how many of you have actually used a Kindle Fire? In-store demo units don't accurately reflect the Kindle Fire's performance since they've been sitting out, messed with by countless people, and they're running limited demo software that may also not have the latest patches from Amazon (the 6.2 and 6.2.1 updates are both supposed to address touchscreen sensitivity).

I own a Kindle Fire myself. Had it for several weeks now. No, it's not an iPad. But for $200, it doesn't need to be. And in my experience, it seems the largest thing you really miss out on is the larger screen. For less than half the price, that's a pretty good value, especially if you are using it basically as a toy. And face it, most tablets are purchased as toys. $500 is just too much to spend for a purely recreational device IMO. It was nice for my wife and I to each be able to get tablets for less than it would cost to buy just one iPad and then fight over it.

Honestly, for $200 it actually feels like a better value than an iPad at $500. They are pretty different things, I'll admit, but if you think it's overpriced at $200 then you obviously haven't used one for more than ten seconds.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 05:26 PM

Personally, I think you like it, or say you like it, just to be contrary. I find it difficult to believe that with it's bugs, stuttering, screen size, and overall lackluster performance that you can be that enamored with the device, given your experience with mobile gadgets. But, whatever.

I've used the thing, it isn't nearly what you say and even at $200 it's very unimpressive.
I've not experienced any bugs, so far (I'm on 6.2.1). No, the performance isn't astoundingly fast, but I've never really been sitting there wishing it'd speed up. And, in my opinion, it's better built than most Android tablets, except maybe the Galaxy Tab 10.1. For me, I'll always recommend the Fire to an "average" user over any other Android tablet. Chances are, that if a person wants an iPad, they'll get an iPad. Personally, I was waiting for Apple to come out with a 7" iPad before I purchased one, but work provided me with the original iPad.

The Fire certainly isn't perfect in every area, and it can feel a little unpolished at times. But it's a 1.0 product, and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. And even since launch, it's already improved. Performance under 6.2.1 seems to be very, very good, and I have 4 tabs open on content heavy sites right now (theverge, engadget, fast company, and CNN). I never would have spent $500 of my own money on an iPad, but this does exactly what I need it to do for $200.

EDIT: 6.2.1 also added parental controls, so you can password protect all the Amazon content.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Dec 21, 2011 at 05:32 PM. )

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
Honestly, for $200 it actually feels like a better value than an iPad at $500. They are pretty different things, I'll admit, but if you think it's overpriced at $200 then you obviously haven't used one for more than ten seconds.
We should weigh the Fire against the ipod touch, since they're about the same price point. Have you used a "touch?"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 PM

You can't compare an iPod touch and a Fire... at all.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 10:47 PM

The Fire has its rough edges, there's no question. I'm not a huge fan of Amazon's spring board interface. The physical button placement is sub-optimal. And it can be slow at times.

A point (among others) that I do like about the Fire though, as much as the Apple fanboy in me doesn't want to admit, is the convenience of having Mobile Flash available for some sites. It obviously doesn't work for majorly interactive/complex Flash, but for the smaller Flash elements it gets the job done. It's nice to be able to go to a site I frequent that has an important Flash element on the page and see it working as it would on a full computer. That's a nice thing and something you don't get on the iDevices (at least not by default and even then with a third party browser not optimally). Yes, I know that even Adobe has abandoned mobile Flash. That doesn't mean it's been magically erased from sites, though. It's also nice to have a fully functional youtube from the browser instead of getting thrown into a special app for it.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2011, 10:49 PM

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2011, 10:53 PM

Got myself a fire sale TouchPad and put CM7 on it.

I'm kind of in love with it. :O
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2011, 10:53 PM

What's CM7?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 12:50 AM

- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Got myself a fire sale TouchPad and put CM7 on it.

I'm kind of in love with it. :O
I can believe that, it's not bad. I put the latest CM9 alpha on mine and it's been pretty decent. Fun to tinker around with.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 02:20 AM

Want the best ebook reader ever made at a fantastic price? I just ordered one to replace my aging original DX, I've just about worn the damned thing out.

Woot® : One Day, One Deal™
- Thomas Paine

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 10:29 AM

I have an Archos 101 too, but it pales in comparison to the tpad in several ways. The 101 is a discount tablet with a shitty netbook-type 10" widescreen display, which means the viewing angles are terrible. The screen isn't very sharp, either. The tpad has the same IPS display that's found in the iPad and other 10" 4:3 tablets, and it looks amazing.

Plus it's got four times the RAM and a dual-core processor. The 101 only has a s 1Ghz single-core and 256MB RAM compared to the tpad's 1.2GHz dual-core and 1GB RAM. Plus the tpad can be overclocked to 1.5-1.7GHz (at least in WebOS, don't know about Android yet). The tpad's built-in speakers are also pretty impressive for what they are.

That being said, the tpad's lack of expansion is disappointing. My 101 has a MicroSD slot, mini HDMI out, and a USB host port for connecting pretty much anything. The tpad has nothing but one microUSB port for charging and data. However, the inductive touchstone charging base is brilliant and I seriously hope to see that come to more tablets in the coming months.

WebOS is pretty cool, too. The stark lack of apps is its biggest downfall IMO, but that may change now that it's gone OSS. The stock mail and calendar apps are better than anything I've seen, including the ones on the iPad.

Now I just need to figure out what to do about the scratch my cat managed to inflict on the glass. D:
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 11:51 AM

You can't compare an iPod touch and a Fire... at all.
Why not?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Why not?
That'd be like comparing the Taj Mahal to 30 Rock. Both are good at what they do, and very expensive, but they're both used for completely different purposes.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 01:29 PM

That'd be like comparing the Taj Mahal to 30 Rock. Both are good at what they do, and very expensive, but they're both used for completely different purposes.
Funny: that's *exactly* what people have been saying about the comparison between the Kindle Fire and the iPad, since about page 1! (except for the "both expensive")

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 01:34 PM

I don't think that's accurate. They're both touchscreens, they're both wifi only (no contract), they're both best for consuming video, music, email and web, but can be used for content creation in a pinch. Screen res is about 1000 x 600. They both fit in a pocket, but for both you have to worry about breaking or scratching it in there. They're both stocking stuffers. The physical size of the Fire is halfway between the ipAd and ipOd, so why can it be compared to one and not the other?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 03:38 PM

That's poo poo.

You can totally compare an iPad and the Fire.

It's like saying you can't compare a Honda Fit to a Toyota Camry.

Sure you can. They're both cars. Even though they both target different demographics, they are way more similar then they are different...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What about an ipOd and the Fire?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
That's poo poo.

So you can compare a 10" touch computer to a 7" touch computer, but you can't compare a 7" touch computer to a 3.5" touch computer?

Maybe you just can't?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 06:24 PM

The iPod touch isn't a tablet by any means. A 3.5" screen is on the low-end in today's world of 4.3" smartphones.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 06:27 PM

Ah, i saw iPad not iPod.

You can still compare them, but it's a more like comparing a scooter with a Honda Fit.

Although, in reality you can do more with an iPod Touch then you can with a Fire.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 06:31 PM

Like what? Besides incredibly grainy FaceTime calls, I can't think of anything more you can do on the iPod touch.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 06:53 PM

The iPod touch isn't a tablet by any means. A 3.5" screen is on the low-end in today's world of 4.3" smartphones.
Ah! - you're not comparing them as handheld touch computers. You're comparing them as tablet PCs. Which is to say: You're sticking them in separate categories, to make them incomparable, rather than focussing on their similarities and comparing those.

With the Kindle Fire and the iPad, you're doing the exact opposite: You're comparing them on their similarities, but completely disallowing the viewpoint that says that they don't WANT to be the same type of device.

If the Kindle is intended as "an e-book reader with benefits", while the iPad is a tablet PC, then naturally, if you're comparing them as tablet PCs, the Kindle is a failure.

If, however, you're comparing them as e-book readers, then the Kindle Fire comes off looking remarkably better, and it can do some of the "extra" stuff an iPad can, too.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I do notice that you completely ignored my response to that bit.
Which one? I've had a lot of people yelling at once.
This one:
Fwiw, your bit about "enjoying driving" is exactly it.

For most people, priorities are precisely NOT on that.

Mine are on getting my daughter and myself from A to B safely and timely, finding parking space, fitting a minimal set of keyboards, and fitting my financial priorities. If I had $10,000 extra to spend, I'd sure as hell spend it on studio equipment and instruments, as well as a family vacation, and NOT on a more enjoyable ride.

If it gets the job done, I'm fine with that.

If it turns out that I spend an exorbitant amount of time using my car, those priorities will change, as I'm sure it might for people who find they'd like to spend more time with their tablet computers and notice where the Fire falls short. But as long as it gets the job done, $300 is a lot of money if you've got more important things on your list.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 07:06 PM

With the Kindle Fire and the iPad, you're doing the exact opposite: You're comparing them on their similarities, but completely disallowing the viewpoint that says that they don't WANT to be the same type of device.
Uh. Can you read?

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
The bottom line is that some people will enjoy the Fire and won't care that it's not an iPad. And some people will keep buying the iPad. The Fire isn't meant to be an iPad competitor, and the iPad isn't meant to be Kindle Fire competitor. There may always be a small amount of overlap, but people will always buy the best product they can afford.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 07:07 PM

I did answer that:

Oh God, so booooring. Here I am, motoring down the freeway in my little hybrid that's about as much fun to drive as a washing machine and as cool as a colonoscopy. I have this 7" tablet too, it has Android-something on it, it's admittedly sluggish and dated, allows me to strain my eyes reading books, and really isn't ideal for doing anything, except buying stuff off Amazon. Damn, my life is all about the things that "get the job done". Which is just fine, because if I actually found any joy I'd probably have a stroke. Gotta keep an even keel, no boat-rocking.

Are the fluorescent lights in here too bright? That one over there keeps flickering... where's my stapler?
A good deal of the time (most of the time) you don't have to spend much more to get a better product. Some products are just crap in value or performance. The Prius and Fire are examples of being poor in both. You live and learn.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 07:14 PM

In your opinion and context. In other people's lives though, a Prius is perfectly fine and capable automobile.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2011, 07:57 PM

Well, it's a tablet by all means except for screen size. Haven't you heard? Smaller is better now, less is more.

Are you shatting on my ipod the same way Shaddim shat on your Fire?

j/k I don't care

Seriously though, is the Fire as much better than the pOd as the pAd is better than the Fire? Except the Fire actually costs less than the pOd? What I'm getting at is, this isn't a pAd killer, it's a pOd killer. Well, at least for people like me who consume a lot more video than audio.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 08:06 PM

In your opinion and context. In other people's lives though, a Prius is perfectly fine and capable automobile.
Clarkson and I disagree and we're unimpressed.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2011, 08:54 PM

Clarkson and I disagree and we're unimpressed.
Clarkson and you aren't really the typical everyday consumer. I love fast expensive things as much as everyone else, but I also can't see any reason why I *must* be driving a car that runs off of diced lions, tears holes in the sky over Antartica, rides like a Roman chariot, has seats less comfortable than a cutting board, a clutch heavier than a man from Tennessee, and sounds like God shouting. Sometimes I like to be able to have four people comfortably in my car, get 35 mpg, drive to work in a foot of snow and not spill caramel macchiato over my wedding vegetables, fill up the boot with two weeks' worth of groceries, and not oversteer myself into a tree, ending up in a field surrounded by bits of Mercedes and sheep.

Sometimes I don't want my tablet to have a gigabyte of RAM or 32 Gb of storage or an 8 MP rear camera. I just want to sit in bed and play Angry Birds when I should be getting ready for work and catch up on RSS feeds.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Dec 22, 2011 at 09:01 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2011, 11:27 PM

Clarkson and you aren't really the typical everyday consumer. I love fast expensive things as much as everyone else, but I also can't see any reason why I *must* be driving a car that runs off of diced lions, tears holes in the sky over Antartica, rides like a Roman chariot, has seats less comfortable than a cutting board, a clutch heavier than a man from Tennessee, and sounds like God shouting. Sometimes I like to be able to have four people comfortably in my car, get 35 mpg, drive to work in a foot of snow and not spill caramel macchiato over my wedding vegetables, fill up the boot with two weeks' worth of groceries, and not oversteer myself into a tree, ending up in a field surrounded by bits of Mercedes and sheep.

Sometimes I don't want my tablet to have a gigabyte of RAM or 32 Gb of storage or an 8 MP rear camera. I just want to sit in bed and play Angry Birds when I should be getting ready for work and catch up on RSS feeds.
I know, you're happy with your cheap 7" reader, but I've already run through all that and I'm getting tired of repeating myself.

As for the car, you could just buy a cheaper vehicle that's better than the Prius, and help save the planet by not contributing to the manufacture of more Li-Ion batteries (some 400lbs worth)... which in the long run is better than the ~8 MPG you'd save with a hybrid. One thing Jeremy and I have in common, our love of hot hatches.
- Thomas Paine

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
...They're both stocking stuffers
What?! Man, I'd love to be a part of your family.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2011, 12:49 AM

A good deal of the time (most of the time) you don't have to spend much more to get a better product. Some products are just crap in value or performance.
How's your 80 foot yacht?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
How's your 80 foot yacht?
We have a 26' Sea Ray, 30' is the max size for pleasure craft on our lake.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2011, 01:07 AM

Why would I need that on small lake? We have a 26' Searay.
Sure, but for only a little bit more money, you could have so much more. Why would you want to put around on a tiny lake, when cruising the open water is so much more enjoyable? I'm sure you'll eventually see the light.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2011, 01:27 AM

Sure, but for only a little bit more money, you could have so much more. Why would you want to put around on a tiny lake, when cruising the open water is so much more enjoyable? I'm sure you'll eventually see the light.
Because the lake is practically in my back yard
I don't have to pay any fees to the marina
The ocean is 350mi from my house
The boat was a great value because it was returned to the factory due to hull delamination. They fixed it and then I picked it up for 40% off MSRP. Basically got it for the price of the 22' model, which didn't have a head or kitchenette.

Value, value, value. I get to enjoy a great product in a scenic area, the Smoky Mtns are beautiful, for so much less. This is in contrast to the Fire or Prius, which are crap and offer such poor BFYB.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2011, 01:41 AM

26 feet is useless compared to 80. All you can do on 26 feet is sit there and stare over the side. With 80, you can host parties. SO much more enjoyable than putting around a tiny lake. Just a tiny bit more money for the extra footage, driving and storage to get SO much more enjoyment.

Of course, you're happy with your cheap 26'.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 23, 2011, 02:17 AM

26 feet is useless compared to 80. All you can do on 26 feet is sit there and stare over the side. With 80, you can host parties. SO much more enjoyable than putting around a tiny lake. Just a tiny bit more money for the extra footage, driving and storage to get SO much more enjoyment.

Of course, you're happy with your cheap 26'.
You know, you're right. And when you're right, you're right. Right? When we buy that house in Bermuda I'm getting an 80, glad you talked me into it. Just saw a really nice one for sale in Charleston for $820k, solid service records too.

Now, you just have to brow-beat those other guys for their wayward Fire and Prius purchases.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2011, 02:45 AM

There's no max size for my pleasure craft.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 23, 2011, 02:49 AM

Big overpowers the ocean's motions.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules