Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius

Kindle Fire — Doesn't drift like a Prius (Page 11)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:10 PM

A 7" tablet is too small to be a general at-home media consumption device and too large to be a true portable solution.
So you're saying the iPad is way too large to be a true portable solution then.

ebook reader - ugh, LCD
So you're saying the iPad is lousy eBook reader then.

magazine reader - too small; pinch, zoom, scroll, scroll, scroll
In 2011, I think most e-magazines suck, esp. the free ones. And the ones that don't suck, I'm not gonna pay for anyway.

portable browser - relies on WiFi, too small to be a good couch surfer
My iPad is WiFi only. I guess to you that means it's a poor choice as a portable browser.

I'll note that there is no way I'm going to pay for yet another 3G plan for an iPad (or hypothetical 3G Fire), esp. when I can simply tether from my iPhone.

But wait! It can play Angry Birds! Great, you just spent $200 for an Angry Birds machine, congrats.
Well, at least it's a better deal than $500 for an Angry Birds machine, which... of course... is the point.

In your criticism of the Fire, you've just made several arguments of why the iPad sucks. Sorry but you can't have it both ways.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So you're saying the iPad is way too large to be a true portable solution then.
Yes. That's why I have a phone when I'm out and about. I still take my iPad out at times, I just throw it in the pack and go. Then I have the benefit of a nice 10" screen, instead of a crappy 7.

So you're saying the iPad is lousy eBook reader then.
It's not that great. For 1-2 hour stretches it's fine, but for heavy reading it's lacking compared to e-ink.

In 2011, I think most e-magazines suck. And the ones that don't suck, I'm not gonna pay for anyway.
e-mags are fine, I have ~15 subscriptions and they're all beautiful on my iPad.

My iPad is WiFi only. There is no way I'm going to pay for yet another 3G plan, esp. when I can simply tether from my iPhone.
Suit yourself. Here, by the time you pay for tethering and the extra data, you might as well have bought a 3G iPad.

Well, at least it's a better deal than $500 for an Angry Birds machine, which... of course... is the point.
No, the point is that an iPad excels at things a 7" tablet can't. The Fire is a product without any exciting benefits, other than "it's cheap".
In your criticism of the Fire, you've just made several arguments of why the iPad sucks. You can't have it both ways.
No, I didn't, you simply don't want to understand what I'm saying.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2011, 12:24 PM

Well, I like the Fire, but I guess I'll be crucified for that opinion.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No, you're a hardcore Android fan, it's almost understandable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
No, I didn't, you simply don't want to understand what I'm saying.
I understand what you're saying. I just happen to disagree with it. You're basically trying to suggest you're representative of the entire market, and that is simply wrong.

To put it in simple non-computer terms, but in the same price range:

I bought a stand mixer for $200. For basic use it's perfectly fine. However, the GF wants something with more capacity and more strength. So, I'm getting her one for just under $600. It's noticeably better built and it's bigger capacity. You can do more with it, with less risk of it burning itself out as the entire motor assembly is solid metal as opposed to plastic gear housing in the lower end model.

I fully understand here desire for the $600 model. However, if I were just buying it for myself, I'd just keep the $200 model, because that's all I need. I don't care to make 12 dozen cookies at a time, nor would I use the unit as a daily workhorse so it'd be many, many years before the plastic wore out. Even if it did wear out after say 8 years, I'd probably just buy another $200 model. And for rare times I might actually need to make 12 dozen cookies, I'd just make two batches of 6 dozen, if it means not having to buy that $600 model... WHICH IS THREE TIMES THE PRICE.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 12:58 PM

I understand what you're saying. I just happen to disagree with it. You're basically trying to suggest you're representative of the entire market, and that is simply wrong.
Sure, some people are ignorant, they simply need to use a 10" tablet for a while and they would understand. You can buy a first gen Asus Transformer or Acer Iconia for <$300, and they're much much better devices.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2011, 01:07 PM

Sure, some people are ignorant, they simply need to use a 10" tablet for a while and they would understand. You can buy a first gen Asus Transformer or Acer Iconia for <$300, and they're much much better devices.
There are $400 intermediate stand mixers that are better built with bigger capacity than my $200 model. Guess which one sells more? There are also $300 models that are bigger than my $200 model... yet people continue to buy the $200 model in droves and are satisfied with them. It's good enough for what they need, despite the fact it clearly isn't as well built and it isn't as big capacity as the $400+ models, and nowhere near as well built as the $600 model I'm buying.

And like I said, if it were just for myself I'd buy the $200 model over the $600 model. I'm not saying I'd necessarily pick a Fire over an iPad, but given my experience with the iPad vs. my needs, it's not a clear winner because it costs $519.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2011, 01:23 PM

No, you're a hardcore Android fan, it's almost understandable.
Uh, what? I hate Android. I have an Android phone, and it works fine, but I really don't enjoy using it. I've had to root it and put ROMs on just to get the functionality I want out of it. But I love my Fire. If I hadn't had an Android phone, I wouldn't be able to tell it's Android at all. About the only thing that reminds me of Android on the Fire is the system fonts. Look in the iPhone forums for people asking about Samsung Galaxy SII or iPhone 4S and I say iPhone 4S every time.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 11:29 AM

There are $400 intermediate stand mixers that are better built with bigger capacity than my $200 model. Guess which one sells more? There are also $300 models that are bigger than my $200 model... yet people continue to buy the $200 model in droves and are satisfied with them. It's good enough for what they need, despite the fact it clearly isn't as well built and it isn't as big capacity as the $400+ models, and nowhere near as well built as the $600 model I'm buying.

And like I said, if it were just for myself I'd buy the $200 model over the $600 model. I'm not saying I'd necessarily pick a Fire over an iPad, but given my experience with the iPad vs. my needs, it's not a clear winner because it costs $519.
Your mixer analogy sucks. A $200 mixer will be great for 95% of mixing tasks, while a 7" tablet isn't great for very many things at all. It's a sh** size, as I've pointed out so many times. Jobs and I actually agreed on this point, and that almost never happened. I've had a Nook Color for almost a year, and after a month or so you start to realize how annoying it can be.
Uh, what? I hate Android. I have an Android phone, and it works fine, but I really don't enjoy using it. I've had to root it and put ROMs on just to get the functionality I want out of it. But I love my Fire. If I hadn't had an Android phone, I wouldn't be able to tell it's Android at all. About the only thing that reminds me of Android on the Fire is the system fonts. Look in the iPhone forums for people asking about Samsung Galaxy SII or iPhone 4S and I say iPhone 4S every time.
Give it a while, we'll see how much you love it when you find out that Amazon will never put HC or ICS on it, or ever update the OS in any meaningful way.

Edit: Oh, and if you want the best Android tablet, grab an Asus Transformer for $300. Only $100 more for that much more quality and value? Shut yo mouth!
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Dec 6, 2011, 11:57 AM

Another review, and I'm confused again. I was leaning toward the KindleTouch 3g... I think I'll stop reading reviews.

Kindle Touch compared to Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch, and Kindle 4 &ndash; Marco.org

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 12:00 PM

Give it a while, we'll see how much you love it when you find out that Amazon will never put HC or ICS on it, or ever update the OS in any meaningful way.

Edit: Oh, and if you want the best Android tablet, grab an Asus Transformer for $300. Only $100 more for that much more quality and value? Shut yo mouth!
What are you on? If I cared about Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich, I wouldn't have bought a Fire. I don't want the Fire to become about having the latest and greatest version of Android. I want it to be a fast and stable experience, which it is.

Why do you like to crap on people who enjoy what they have? It's like I'm a ****ing idiot for enjoying something that you think is stupid. So I voted with my wallet and bought a Fire. I'm sorry that's not okay with you, but I really couldn't care less about your opinions. I buy technology that works for me and that I enjoy using, and I enjoy using the Fire. I'm sorry that's the worst thing ever.

Paying $100 more (50% of the Fire's original price!) for an experience that, in my opinion of Honeycomb, is worse makes no sense to me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:02 PM

Kindle Fire Usability Findings (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)

Summary:
Mobile web sites work best on the 7-inch tablet. Users had great trouble touching the correct items on full sites, where UI elements are too small on the Fire screen.
Amazon.com's new Kindle Fire offers a disappointingly poor user experience. Using the web with the Silk browser is clunky and error-prone. Reading downloaded magazines is not much better. Still, user testing with the Fire did help us understand what the new generation of 7-inch tablets is good for: Are they more like 10-inch tablets (e.g., the iPad) or more like 3.5-inch mobile phones? To give away the conclusion, the answer is: "a bit of both."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:19 PM

What are you on? If I cared about Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich, I wouldn't have bought a Fire. I don't want the Fire to become about having the latest and greatest version of Android. I want it to be a fast and stable experience, which it is.

Why do you like to crap on people who enjoy what they have? It's like I'm a ****ing idiot for enjoying something that you think is stupid. So I voted with my wallet and bought a Fire. I'm sorry that's not okay with you, but I really couldn't care less about your opinions. I buy technology that works for me and that I enjoy using, and I enjoy using the Fire. I'm sorry that's the worst thing ever.

Paying $100 more (50% of the Fire's original price!) for an experience that, in my opinion of Honeycomb, is worse makes no sense to me.
Nice attitude. You're being very defensive, that says a lot right there. No HC or ICS means no tablet apps made specifically for those OSes, which means you have a dead end device, unless you go CM9, and that kills your warranty and will run like garbage since the Fire only has 512MB of RAM. $100 more for the second best tablet ever made (next to iPad2), which Asus has already announced will be upgraded to ICS in Q1 of 2012, is a no-brainer. Better IPS display, larger display, GPS, Bluetooth, microSD slot, HDMI, better GPU, cameras, 2x more memory, 2x more built-in storage, 2x more battery life... Mmmmm... yeah, see what you mean, that's much worse.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Oh, don't start "crapping on people", they'll throw a hissy and report you.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:22 PM

Nah, Shaddim. Basically you're saying he's stupid because he likes the Fire. What gives anyway?

He likes it, and so do a lot of people, so get over it.

Ironically, I'm not even sure I'd be one of them, but the difference here is my view of the world isn't that only what I myself like is what the whole world should have, or that only my opinion matters.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 12:23 PM

Nice attitude. You're being very defensive, that says a lot right there. No HC or ICS means no tablet apps made specifically for those OSes, which means you have a dead end device, unless you go CM9, and that kills your warranty and will run like garbage since the Fire only has 512MB of RAM. $100 more for the second best tablet ever made (next to iPad2), which Asus has already announced will be upgraded to ICS in Q1 of 2012, is a no-brainer. Better IPS display, larger display, GPS, Bluetooth, microSD slot, HDMI, better GPU, cameras, 2x more memory, 2x more built-in storage, 2x more battery life... Mmmmm... yeah, see what you mean, that's much worse.
Dude. What part of this is hard to understand. I don't care about having the latest version of Android. What I want from a tablet is this: Connection to the services I already use (which are Amazon Instant Video, since my TV has it, and Kindle, since I already have a Kindle), a solid web browser, decent pixel density for reading, lightweight, and fairly tough build quality. And the Fire meets all of those. It's the perfect size for me. I can throw it in my bag and not add much weight, and it feels tough enough that it won't break if my bag gets thrown around. So why would I spend $100 more (that's 50% higher than the Fire) when all those specs accomplish nothing for me? There's no reason. And I know you don't understand this concept, but money doesn't grow on trees for most people. $100 extra is a lot of extra money that I'd prefer to have in the bank. Especially since it would net me absolutely no gain in the areas I care about most, which, you'd do well to note, includes nothing at all about what operating system the device is running, or how much RAM it has.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:29 PM

Your mixer analogy sucks. A $200 mixer will be great for 95% of mixing tasks
Not really.

However, for your usage and my usage that's probably true, but for someone with more extensive needs, a $200 mixer would be wholly inadequate. The size would be too small and you'd burn out the motor in a matter of weeks. This happens quite commonly with avid bread bakers for example, but I'm not one of them, and I have a bread machine anyway.

So, I don't need the extra capacity or extra strength, so I don't care. However, my GF does, which justifies the higher cost.

So why would I spend $100 more (that's 50% higher than the Fire) when all those specs accomplish nothing for me? There's no reason. And I know you don't understand this concept, but money doesn't grow on trees for most people.
Bingo. And the iPad is 2.5X the cost.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Another review, and I'm confused again. I was leaning toward the KindleTouch 3g... I think I'll stop reading reviews.

Kindle Touch compared to Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Touch, and Kindle 4 &ndash; Marco.org
I played with the KindleTouch over the weekend and it was very nice; light as a feather, good responsiveness (despite what the article says), very user friendly. You can't go wrong with it, IMO. Oh, and you want the one with the ads. Sometimes they're for deeply discounted books in genres you read most, and no one but Kindle "special offers" people can get those deals.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:35 PM

Nah, Shaddim. Basically you're saying he's stupid because he likes the Fire. What gives anyway?

He likes it, and so do a lot of people, so get over it.

Ironically, I'm not even sure I'd be one of them, but the difference here is my view of the world isn't that only what I myself like is what the whole world should have, or that only my opinion matters.
He's defending his purchase, and it's a natural response, but it doesn't mean it's right. I liked a 7" tablet for a little while too, until it finally dawned on me that I was wrong.
- Thomas Paine

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 12:43 PM

There are lots of tablets I'd prefer to one which runs Android. iPad 2, iPad, Viagra, Aspirin, etc etc.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 12:45 PM

Not really.
Yes, it is. What your GF is likely doing is in that 5% that most people will never encounter. Going from a 7" to a 10" tablet, however, changes 100% of a user's experience.
Bingo. And the iPad is 2.5X the cost.
I wasn't even mentioning the iPad, I'm talking about 3-4x more tablet for 50% more money, that's good value for a much more usable device. Being value conscious isn't the same as being cheap. I'm not a cheap person, but I do search for the best bang for my buck, and this is a very obvious example of that.

Hell, I went ahead and ordered a Transformer to tinker with for a couple weeks. I'll probably give it to one of my buddies for Xmas, since he's a big Android fanboy, he'll get a kick out of it.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2011, 01:02 PM

Damn, Amazon isn't shipping the Kindle Touch to Canada. Weird.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 01:53 PM

Yes, it is. What your GF is likely doing is in that 5% that most people will never encounter.
Again, not really.

Someone with a mixer wanting to make a few loaves of whole wheat bread? That's obviously going to be pretty common. Many $200 mixers will actually shut down if you try this.

What you are saying is more true when comparing a $600 mixer to a $400 mixer. 98% of people won't receive a significant benefit going from a $400 mixer to a $600 mixer. However a large minority can get a good benefit going from a $200 mixer to a $400 mixer.

However, my point here is that for some people, like me, a $200 mixer is fine.

He's defending his purchase, and it's a natural response, but it doesn't mean it's right.
Again, you're saying he's an idiot for liking what he likes, and that you just know better. Sorry, but you just sound condescending and obnoxious here, and this is the context of having already contradicted yourself about the virtues and drawbacks of the various tablets.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
And this is the final nail in the coffin:

Drunk RIM employees disrupt Beijing-bound flight - thestar.com

It turns out they weren't just employees. They were VPs. And now they've both been fired.

RIM drops drunk executives from diverted Air Canada flight - thestar.com

Good.

BTW, nobody would accept them on their flights, so they had to drive from Vancouver (where the disrupted flight landed) to Winnipeg, before hitching a flight to Toronto before going to Waterloo (where RIM is located). That's a 2 day drive (2300 km).

Also, they owe Air Canada $36000 each.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 03:09 PM

Again, not really.

Someone with a mixer wanting to make a few loaves of whole wheat bread? That's obviously going to be pretty common. Many $200 mixers will actually shut down if you try this.

What you are saying is more true when comparing a $600 mixer to a $400 mixer. 98% of people won't receive a significant benefit going from a $400 mixer to a $600 mixer. However a large minority can get a good benefit going from a $200 mixer to a $400 mixer.

However, my point here is that for some people, like me, a $200 mixer is fine.
Still not agreeing on that analogy.

Again, you're saying he's an idiot for liking what he likes, and that you just know better. Sorry, but you just sound condescending and obnoxious here, and this is the context of having already contradicted yourself about the virtues and drawbacks of the various tablets.
People can buy what they want, but it doesn't mean it's a good purchase. Also, "Idiot" is your word, to make this discussion more inflammatory. I just think of them as uninformed and there are better values than the Fire. In this instance, I do know better. I've owned 7" tablets for a long time and I have experience with the form factor.

If you could actually point out the supposed contradictions I'd be happy to clarify.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 03:54 PM

He's defending his purchase, and it's a natural response, but it doesn't mean it's right. I liked a 7" tablet for a little while too, until it finally dawned on me that I was wrong.
Well I'm sorry I'm wrong. I bow before your greatness. Seems to be a cardinal sin to enjoy what I have. I guess I should try to be more unsatisfied. I didn't know that enjoying one product over another had a "right" or "wrong." Am I in the wrong for driving a Honda Accord? Should I have purchased the Acura version instead, even though it does exactly the same thing that I need it to do for thousands more?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 04:17 PM

Uh oh... A car analogy! I've been trying very hard not to use one...

If you could actually point out the supposed contradictions I'd be happy to clarify.
Already discussed earlier, on this thread page. When they were pointed out to you, you came out either with either excuses, or reasons why the iPad was better for YOU.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 05:04 PM

Well I'm sorry I'm wrong. I bow before your greatness. Seems to be a cardinal sin to enjoy what I have. I guess I should try to be more unsatisfied. I didn't know that enjoying one product over another had a "right" or "wrong." Am I in the wrong for driving a Honda Accord? Should I have purchased the Acura version instead, even though it does exactly the same thing that I need it to do for thousands more?
An Accord? Nah, they're fine. But, if you could have gotten a 328i for only $5k more, then I'd say you made a poor choice.
- Thomas Paine

hayesk
Dec 6, 2011, 05:09 PM

An Accord? Nah, they're fine. But, if you could have gotten a 328i for only $5k more, then I'd say you made a poor choice.
A 328i is smaller, less reliable, more expensive to fix, and takes premium gasoline. There are plenty of reasons why an Accord is a better choice.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 05:35 PM

Already discussed earlier, on this thread page. When they were pointed out to you, you came out either with either excuses, or reasons why the iPad was better for YOU.
Mmmm... went and read my posts, didn't see any. I've made every point with clarity. OTOH, many have tried to bait me into getting upset or have shifted the subject around to throw off the discussion. I said the 10" size is better in general, whether it be an iOS device or Android. Of course, I prefer iOS, it's less buggy, but I'd take a nice 10" Android tablet over a 7" iPad.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
A 328i is smaller, less reliable, more expensive to fix, and takes premium gasoline. There are plenty of reasons why an Accord is a better choice.
You'd turn down a new 328i in favor of an Accord, even if the BMW is only $5k more?
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2011, 05:56 PM

You'd turn down a new 328i in favor of an Accord, even if the BMW is only $5k more?
You're not doing your own argument any favours. The 328i has considerably higher real-world running costs over the Accord, not even factoring in the price difference.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 05:57 PM

Uh, what? I paid $6k for my Accord. Unless you mean an E36, a 328i wasn't anywhere near my budget. And an $11k E36 certainly wasn't within my $7k budget.

And anyway, I can make the same argument for my Accord as I make for the Fire. It does exactly what I need it to do and nothing that I don't need it to. It's comfortable, gets good gas mileage, has good power, and is dirt cheap to run. Sure, there are more technically capable vehicles out there, but for what I want and need, it's perfect. It's been a pleasure to own. I've spent $75 over the last four years for non-scheduled repairs/maintenance. $75. And I'm at 138k miles.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Dec 6, 2011 at 06:05 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 06:19 PM

I'm saying that for only $100 more you can get much more than a $100 value. Anyone who knows tablets, and has any sense, will tell you that a Transformer for $300 is the better buy over a $200 Fire. There's no comparison.
- Thomas Paine

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2011, 06:25 PM

iMitchell's reply, intentionally or not, brings up the most telling point so far: he does not value the enhanced feature set of the BMW the way shaddim does. Likewise, some people will like a plain-jane tablet with fewer features than an iPad/Kindle Fire/etc.

More features and capabilities does not automatically mean something is more desirable to everyone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 06:26 PM

I'm saying that for only $100 more you can get much more than a $100 value. Anyone who knows tablets, and has any sense, will tell you that a Transformer for $300 is the better buy over a $200 Fire. There's no comparison.
Why can't you understand this? I don't need 1Gb of RAM, I don't need a bigger screen (I prefer smaller), I don't need two cameras, or even one, I don't need Honeycomb. Not everyone needs those things. And again, "only" $100 more is half of the Fire's original price. That's a significant increase in your investment. For me, like I mentioned earlier, I just need a solid web browser, good connection to streaming services and Kindle, and decent pixel-density (to make reading more comfortable). And the Fire excels at those things. I'm sure the Transformer is great at those too, but I'm not paying 50% more to gain absolutely no improvement with what I want to do.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 06:26 PM

And anyone who isn't overconfident of his own greatness will realize that different people have different needs and wants.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 06:31 PM

And anyone who isn't overconfident of his own greatness will realize that different people have different needs and wants.
Still working the insults? Really? Is that what you have left when you've been thrashed with common sense?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 06:38 PM

Why can't you understand this? I don't need 1Gb of RAM, I don't need a bigger screen (I prefer smaller), I don't need two cameras, or even one, I don't need Honeycomb. Not everyone needs those things. And again, "only" $100 more is half of the Fire's original price. That's a significant increase in your investment. For me, like I mentioned earlier, I just need a solid web browser, good connection to streaming services and Kindle, and decent pixel-density (to make reading more comfortable). And the Fire excels at those things. I'm sure the Transformer is great at those too, but I'm not paying 50% more to gain absolutely no improvement with what I want to do.
No, the Fire doesn't excel at those things, it barely handles them at all, and that's my point. Go with Allah, enjoy your purchase, just don't get your nose bent out of shape if someone points out that it isn't the best tool for the job and that there are better deals out there.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 06:41 PM

No, the Fire doesn't excel at those things, it barely handles them at all, and that's my point. Go with Allah, enjoy your purchase, just don't get your nose bent out of shape if someone points out that it isn't the best tool for the job and that there are better deals out there.
Whatever. You're a dick, you know? You don't have to take a shit on people's things. You're like Rob talking about people's cars, only with (generally) correct grammar, and far less entertaining.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 06:55 PM

Whatever. You're a dick, you know? You don't have to take a shit on people's things. You're like Rob talking about people's cars, only with (generally) correct grammar, and far less entertaining.
I've been quite fair during this entire discussion. I do want to point something out to you, however. This thread isn't about you. You didn't start it by saying, "I bought a Fire! Isn't it awesome?" It started out as a critique of the Fire and whether it's a worthy competitor for the iPad. The fact that you, near the end of it, came out with the news that you purchased one is irrelevant. I'm not going to instantly dump my experience with 7" tablets and do a 180 just to make someone feel better about their electronics purchases. You're letting your feelings get twisted out of shape, that's not my fault. You knew my opinion before you ever made that purchase.

PBWY
GWG
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 07:01 PM

Actually, I simply said, after following the discussion for pages and pages that
And I have been. So good job there. I didn't even mention at first that I purchased one. But it apparently pissed you off so much that I simply like the Fire to start an entire discourse on how I would have been better off with a Honeycomb tablet.

I don't come here to feel good about my purchases, and I couldn't care less what you think of them. But what I cannot stand is when someone says that it is wrong of me to enjoy something over another product:
I liked a 7" tablet for a little while too, until it finally dawned on me that I was wrong.
and then bash me and everyone else over the head for thinking anything otherwise.
( Last edited by imitchellg5; Dec 6, 2011 at 07:09 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2011, 07:06 PM

Hard to tell Fraudling's gone.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 07:27 PM

And I have been. So good job there. I didn't even mention at first that I purchased one. But it apparently pissed you off so much that I simply like the Fire to start an entire discourse on how I would have been better off with a Honeycomb tablet.
You were crucified? I never even grabbed a hammer, much less pounded spikes into your wrists. No, you're setting yourself up as a martyr.
I don't come here to feel good about my purchases, and I couldn't care less what you think of them. But what I cannot stand is when someone says that it is wrong of me to enjoy something over another product: and then bash me and everyone else over the head for thinking anything otherwise.
First, I said what I did about the Fire and all 7" tablets. Then you told us you liked it and then bought one. Should my opinion change because of your purchase? It's not like I waited until you got it and then unloaded both barrels.

However, I have been baited and directly insulted in this thread already, and over what?
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 07:44 PM

First, I said what I did about the Fire and all 7" tablets. Then you told us you liked it and then bought one. Should my opinion change because of your purchase? It's not like I waited until you got it and then unloaded both barrels.
This is a discussion forum. People are allowed to have their own viewpoints. Yet when I explain mine, you continue to regurgitate what you've said earlier and call me uninformed, etc. Like Dakar says, I thought freudling was banned. You don't have to agree with me, and I don't expect people to agree with me, but I do expect to be allowed to have an opinion, and have opinion treated as valid. Thanks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I've been saying the same thing since October, but somehow I'm now making it personal. FWIW, I've been much more polite than Freudling and didn't resort to insults or ranting.

Hmm, I do believe that I won this discussion, given it's reached the "you're being a big meanie" stage.
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2011, 07:50 PM

Hmm, I do believe that I won this discussion
Seriously? You're here to "win" discussions?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:02 PM

Apparently.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:04 PM

This is a discussion forum. People are allowed to have their own viewpoints. Yet when I explain mine, you continue to regurgitate what you've said earlier and call me uninformed, etc. Like Dakar says, I thought freudling was banned. You don't have to agree with me, and I don't expect people to agree with me, but I do expect to be allowed to have an opinion, and have opinion treated as valid. Thanks.
I didn't take away your right to express your opinion, or resort to namecalling. I mean, it's not like I called you a di*k or anything like that. Right?
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2011, 08:05 PM

Seriously? You're here to "win" discussions?
After 300 posts? Usually.

Edit: nice derail, BTW.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules