Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Low Carb Tips?

Low Carb Tips?
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2012, 12:10 PM

I'm permanently doing the low carb deal, so any tips for acquiring high-fat food in a low-fat world are a good thing. I basically have heavy cream and olive oil in my arsenal, and I could use more. Currently, I know I'm eating way too much protein and not nearly enough fat.

I should point out, since I started a few months ago, my A1C has dropped from 7.6% (full-blown diabeetus) to 5.7% (tenth of a percentage point above normal). This diet may not be for everyone, but it's clearly a good idea for me.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2012, 02:25 PM

Avoid stuff that has more then 5 ingredients in the label. Eat mostly natural real food not pre-packaged foods. Whole grain bread, meat, frozen vegetables or local fresh vegetables. Avoid fresh veggies grown far away, the Frozen will be better for you. Use Butter not margarine. Mix up beef and pork from lean to the no so lean versions. Organic meat and eggs do have a real taste difference. Im not sold on organic veggies yet.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2012, 04:39 PM

Creamier cheeses are high in fat. Stuff like Brie or Camembert should be easy to get hold of (I like to bake camembert with garlic and dip roasted mushrooms in it. Basically the creamier the cheese, the higher the fat content as a rule. I know you listed cream already but cheese has much more flavour to it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 17, 2012, 05:51 PM

Full fat greek yogurt.
Cook your veggies (and pretty much whatever else you need oil/fat for) with coconut oil.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2012, 07:26 AM

http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/

Egg based bread substitute.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
http://yourlighterside.com/gluten-free-low-carb-buns-aka-oopsie-rolls/
Egg based bread substitute.
That's awesome!

But the best part is the pic in the recipe: Wendy's Baconator on an oopsie roll.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2012, 07:37 AM

Greek yogurt: good call.

Soft cheese: also a good call, but I still need to find a vehicle. For whatever reason, the texture of mushrooms is a giant turn-off.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2012, 09:36 AM

You might like this site, has a lot of info, including some recipes, meal ideas, a hour long seminar from a doctor in the field of low carb research. Its where I learned about the oopsie roll. Before that I was using whole bread which is still high in carb but a lot of fiber. I have yet to make a oopsie bread but might this weekend to see how tasty it is. Looks wonderful.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Forum Links
Forum Rules