Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Disney, Fox and Sky

Disney, Fox and Sky
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2017, 10:36 PM

So Disney spoke to 21st Century Fox about buying most of their assets. Everything but Fox News and their sports offerings.

In turn, Fox is still waiting for a decision on whether they can take their stake in Sky (BSkyB) from 40% to 100%.
I don't think I'd have a problem with Disney owning Sky, in fact I'd welcome it. I do not want Murdoch controlling any more UK media than he already does.

If Fox still want to sell, maybe Apple should consider the purchase. Be cool if they too Fox News as well just to shut it down. Or to usurp it from within. But I definitely think having a US broadcast network, a movie studio, and decent back catalogue of content, IP and rights deals as well as Sky's reach all over Europe and Africa and wherever else would be a very handy asset for Apple. Sky's set top boxes are among the best I've seen. Given a quick Apple overhaul to make the UI prettier (they are already second only to Apple IMO for intuitiveness) and it puts Apple right into millions of living rooms in at least two continents. Might as well use all those cash reserves for something.

Shit, can someone edit the title please?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2017, 04:55 AM

I can.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2017, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Sky's set top boxes are among the best I've seen. Given a quick Apple overhaul to make the UI prettier (they are already second only to Apple IMO for intuitiveness)...
Granted I've not spent any time with the new Q interface, but it's a pretty depressing thought if Sky is the best of the bunch. My wish is that Sky would catch up to the intuitiveness and ease of use of the Tivo box I had to leave behind in the US 11 years ago.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2017, 06:35 AM

To be fair I've never used Tivo, but Sky Plus is pretty good compared to most of the DVR/PVR units I've had the misfortune of using.

Thanks for the title correction!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2017, 07:35 PM

You're welcome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules