Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Post your iWeb pages

Post your iWeb pages
pockettheater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 05:39 PM

I know that its not perfect yet but I am having a lot of fun with iWeb. If you've put together a page that you're proud of or want help with post it here.

Here's mine: http://web.mac.com/danuproductions/i.../Hometown.html

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 12:45 AM

Jeremy: How did you set up your main Photos page to link to the other pages?

I want to do the same thing as you did on your main Photos page. That is, clicking on Duluth Zoo will take me to your "Duluth Zoo" album.

I've been going crazy trying to figure this out.

pockettheater  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Jeremy: How did you set up your main Photos page to link to the other pages?

I want to do the same thing as you did on your main Photos page. That is, clicking on Duluth Zoo will take me to your "Duluth Zoo" album.

I've been going crazy trying to figure this out.
Select a photo page, then select the sample pics, then in the Graphic Inspector set the opacity to zero. Now just drag your photos where you want them and size them accordingly. Select your photo and in the Link Inspector set the hyperlink to an additional photo page containing your actual photo set. In the Page Inspector you can set it so that the page with your gallery is not displayed in the menu.

jsuplido
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 07:07 AM

Here's mine:

http://web.mac.com/jsuplido/iWeb

It's still an experiment so be kind

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by pockettheater
Select a photo page, then select the sample pics, then in the Graphic Inspector set the opacity to zero. Now just drag your photos where you want them and size them accordingly. Select your photo and in the Link Inspector set the hyperlink to an additional photo page containing your actual photo set. In the Page Inspector you can set it so that the page with your gallery is not displayed in the menu.
Sorry, still lost. Which photo page - a new one or the main one or one of the album ones?

Then what sample pics are you talking about, those that came with each new photo page (the placeholder) or the ones I want?

I know this must be simple but for the life of me, I'm having the hardest time trying to figure this out.

Could you walk me through this step by step again? Thanks.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2006, 02:23 PM

Here is my page:
http://web.mac.com/rziebol/iWeb
Mainly a page for family and friends!

I am wondering if anyone else can see a problem I having. If you move over the word RASH in the upper right corner, it changes to Happy Birthday Celebration. Is this just happening on my computer or others.
Thanks

Edit - I deleted the Rash page, haven't checked it though to see if there are any other problems like that. Thanks for checking!
( Last edited by zeebe; Jan 31, 2006 at 10:59 PM. )

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 02:29 PM

I've posted this for your feedback already, but here it is again:

<removed due to spam in my .Mac account / that never happens / can't be a coincidence>

My initial feedback was overwhelmingly about how slow it is to load. Having seen some of your great pages, it seems to be an iWeb issue. Most of our pages are pretty slow to load by today's standards. Still, everybody... Lookin' good!
( Last edited by DigitalEl; Feb 1, 2006 at 10:32 AM. )
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

jsuplido
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 04:01 PM

I see the "RASH" text problem, zeebee. Mine has a problem where an old del.icio.us logo I used sometimes shows instead of the Email Me pic.

I agree about the iWeb issue... however, the last few times I've uploaded was a good experience. It seems that Apple is working on these issues as we post.

jsuplido
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 04:09 PM

Could you walk me through this step by step again? Thanks.
This is what I did. I hope it works with you...

1. Choose the Welcome page from the White theme.
2. Delete the big default pic (the placeholder).
3. Drag in pics of your own.
4. Click one pic.
5. Open Inspector.
6. Navigate to Link.
7. Click Enable as Hyperlink.
8. Choose Link To: One Of My Pages

Good luck!

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2006, 05:53 PM

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 07:09 PM

jsuplido:
1. Choose the Welcome page from the White theme.
2. Delete the big default pic (the placeholder).
3. Drag in pics of your own.
4. Click one pic.
5. Open Inspector.
6. Navigate to Link.
7. Click Enable as Hyperlink.
8. Choose Link To: One Of My Pages
Thanks for the tip. However, the reason why I'm having trouble is that I want to keep those nice picture frames. Under Inspector > Graphic > Style (many frames to choose from).

This is why I'm asking pockettheater. See the white frames around "Duluth Zoo", "Minneapolis Institute of Art", "Cars", and "Jesse Dog." When you click on Duluth Zoo will take you to his "Duluth Zoo" album.

pockettheater please explain again how you made your main photo page (with Duluth Zoo, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Cars, Jesse Dog) hyperlinkable while keeping iWeb's picture frames. That is, clicking on the photo takes you to your other albums page. Thanks.

pockettheater  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 11:44 PM

jsuplido:

Thanks for the tip. However, the reason why I'm having trouble is that I want to keep those nice picture frames. Under Inspector > Graphic > Style (many frames to choose from).

This is why I'm asking pockettheater. See the white frames around "Duluth Zoo", "Minneapolis Institute of Art", "Cars", and "Jesse Dog." When you click on Duluth Zoo will take you to his "Duluth Zoo" album.

pockettheater please explain again how you made your main photo page (with Duluth Zoo, Minneapolis Institute of Art, Cars, Jesse Dog) hyperlinkable while keeping iWeb's picture frames. That is, clicking on the photo takes you to your other albums page. Thanks.
Below is how I did it but you can follow the previous advice also. For the frames skip to step 9.
Okay here we go:
1) Under the file menu select "New Page"
2) Choose your theme and within that theme select a "Photos" page
3) Click near the placeholder pics and a blue box should illuminate around each one
4) Open Inspector by clicking on it at the bottom of the interface
5) Select "Graphic Inspector" within the inspector
6) At the bottom of the Graphic inspector is an Opacity bar, set this to zero
7) Now here's the tricky bit, you have to drag your photos onto the window but you have to drag them below the where the samples were. There is a line at the bottom of the page, drag them below that.
8) Now they've been added as objects and you can drag them up and onto the page and resize them as desired.
9) In order to get the "frame" I just added a stroke around each photo with the "Graphic Editor". Unfortunately that's the only way to do it that I've discovered. I use a stroke and a drop shadow.
10) Now just select your photo and make it a hyper link via the Link Inspector.

Obviously you don't have to use the "Photos" page template for this procedure but I wanted to list what I did specifically. This is just one more reason why Apple needs to include a blank page template for each theme.

jsuplido
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 05:04 AM

jsuplido:

Thanks for the tip. However, the reason why I'm having trouble is that I want to keep those nice picture frames. Under Inspector > Graphic > Style (many frames to choose from)....
Oh ok... sorry for misunderstanding I did away with the frames. Instead, I just used hyperlinked thumbnails. I also changed the opacity of the other pictures for which I haven't done the albums yet. Those "faded-out" pictures don't have active links.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 10:15 AM

pockettheater: THANK YOU so much! Finally, I got those nice frames around my photos. So it took:

1) The opacity bar to zero
2) Dragging photos BELOW the placeholder
3) Resizing each photo
4) And most importantly adding a "stroke" and drop shadow around each photo!
5) Finally, hyperlinking each photo to its album.

BUT it took your kindness and patience to explain it in a way that I could understand. Thanks again Jeremy.

PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 12:00 PM

Here is my first site of just pics of cars....

http://web.mac.com/apalexandrakis/iWeb/CarPics

Second site is my blog...

www.umiamisports.com

Enjoy!

pockettheater  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 01:00 AM

pockettheater: THANK YOU so much! Finally, I got those nice frames around my photos. So it took:

1) The opacity bar to zero
2) Dragging photos BELOW the placeholder
3) Resizing each photo
4) And most importantly adding a "stroke" and drop shadow around each photo!
5) Finally, hyperlinking each photo to its album.

BUT it took your kindness and patience to explain it in a way that I could understand. Thanks again Jeremy.
Ah shucks. It was no problem, I was glad I could help.

PS did you see the pics of my Mercedes?

mrgaskell
Senior User
Feb 2, 2006, 01:16 AM

Here is one I used to put up some slides for one of my science classes.
http://web.mac.com/mrgaskell/iWeb/Sc...%20Slides.html

Here is my daughter's page:
http://www.ellygaskell.com
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 01:33 AM

Jeremy: You have a lot of cars!

toneloco28
Feb 2, 2006, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by mrgaskell
Here is one I used to put up some slides for one of my science classes.
http://web.mac.com/mrgaskell/iWeb/Sc...%20Slides.html

Here is my daughter's page:
http://www.ellygaskell.com
Great Sites! I almost shed a tear on the video of your daughter....

CKr
Feb 3, 2006, 04:36 PM

I played with iWeb a little bit last weekend and came up with a little something something. Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to sit down and add the content and fix the huge image files that iWeb produced.

http://point3.org/ck/

Even though I'm not a big fan of using WYSIWYG web page editors, I actually like iWeb. It's nice to be able to produce a simple website in such a short amount of time and write 0 lines of code.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 12:00 AM

Off topic I know, but somebody in that picture looks a little like Steve Jobs...

Originally Posted by zeebe
Here is my page:
http://web.mac.com/rziebol/iWeb
Mainly a page for family and friends!

I am wondering if anyone else can see a problem I having. If you move over the word RASH in the upper right corner, it changes to Happy Birthday Celebration. Is this just happening on my computer or others.
Thanks

Edit - I deleted the Rash page, haven't checked it though to see if there are any other problems like that. Thanks for checking!
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2006, 07:56 AM

The one thing that everyone seems to have done, that for the life of me I cannot find is when clicking on a photo in my photo page I cant figure out how to get rid of the brushed metal frame.
I havent been able to give it much time, but it disturbs my sleep just knowing it is there.
SAm

http://www.samknapp.net

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by greenG4
Off topic I know, but somebody in that picture looks a little like Steve Jobs...
Who are you saying looks like Steve? not my wife i hope!
You should see our son dressed in little jeans and a black turtle neck, now if we could keep fake glasses on him, it looks so close to a ministeve!

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sknapp351
The one thing that everyone seems to have done, that for the life of me I cannot find is when clicking on a photo in my photo page I cant figure out how to get rid of the brushed metal frame.
I havent been able to give it much time, but it disturbs my sleep just knowing it is there.
SAm

http://www.samknapp.net
I am not sure if this is your problem, but it might just come with the template you picked. I haven't tested out my theory and am probably totally wrong, but try a different template.
( Last edited by zeebe; Feb 4, 2006 at 06:26 PM. )

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 05:44 PM

-- Jason

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hmm. It doesn't seem to be the template. Here are some examples:
The one I made for a friend:
http://www.evanssculpture.net/Photos.html
- When I click on a photo it gives me a brushed metal frame with a white background.

One I found on this topic:
http://web.mac.com/thiagoafonso/iWeb...%20Photos.html
-When I click on one of these photos I get just the photo in a new window with no border at all.

These both are the black template. The only thing I noticed is that mine are not in a .Mac account,
and the others do not seem to be slide show-able within the same window. I really think it has something to do with the slide show, and have no doubt it is staring me in the face.
SAm

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2006, 07:23 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I haven't seen that example you showed. The first example is Apple's default. There is a discussion about that here in the Apple Support Forum.

[From a tip on the iWeb support forum] Basically, iWeb dumps a folder called "SlideShow_assets" into your published folder. You can replace that with whatever favorite javascript or flash slideshow package you want. In this example iWeb's default "SlideShow_assets" folder has been replaced by a flash slideshow.

Not sure if this helps, it's not white as you asked, but it might be something you like.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2006, 07:21 PM

I just upgraded to iLife 06 yesterday. Played around a little with iWeb today.....it feels and looks nice so far,

http://web.mac.com/j.bassi/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

ccwq
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 01:48 PM

how can i add feedback function to the iweb, cuz if a blog without feedback, it's nothing for me personally.

Evil RPG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 05:42 PM

My friends and I have been role playing for over a decade and finally put up a website using iWeb. I must say it is easy to use and makes nice looking pages. This weekend we will post our first podcast from the game. Also, there is place to put comments on the blog page thanks to the great work done by Chad Brantly on icomment, thank you!

EvilRPG.com

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 06:07 PM

I haven't yet upgraded to iLife '06 for myself, but one thing I've noticed from looking at some of the websites linked here in the thread is that iWeb doesn't seem to resize photos for the web at all--I get long delays while the images load. Is this just a preference setting that people aren't selecting, or do you actually have to resize photos yourself in another application?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 01:02 PM

I noticed that on the pages, it changes your pictures to .png format. ie: I would drag a 5 megapixel image into iWeb and it would automatically resize and make about a 300KB .png file
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

jsuplido
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ccwq
how can i add feedback function to the iweb, cuz if a blog without feedback, it's nothing for me personally.
I use iComment.

Ben Quady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 05:14 PM

I am rather proud of the website I put together for a restaurant called Beppe & Gianni's Trattoria in Eugene, Oregon. The address is http://www.beppeandgiannis.net

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2006, 05:21 PM

It seems like every single iWeb page I've ever visited loads like molasses in January! This is the case whether on my the T1 at work or on my cable modem at home. There's no excuse for a site to load this slowly on a broadband connection. I don't know if this is because iWeb isn't optimizing the images to a small enough size or if web.mac.com is just short on bandwidth. Regardless, it really makes me not want to even bother making a site with iWeb. No one wants to sit there and wait 30 seconds for a web page to load. Especially on a broadband connection.

OAW

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2006, 09:43 AM

Here's mine, very much a work in progress.
www.netbaloos.co.uk/
KRO
AliP

Parky
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 10:59 AM

Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Parky
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by OAW
It seems like every single iWeb page I've ever visited loads like molasses in January! This is the case whether on my the T1 at work or on my cable modem at home. There's no excuse for a site to load this slowly on a broadband connection. I don't know if this is because iWeb isn't optimizing the images to a small enough size or if web.mac.com is just short on bandwidth. Regardless, it really makes me not want to even bother making a site with iWeb. No one wants to sit there and wait 30 seconds for a web page to load. Especially on a broadband connection.

OAW
The problem is that iWeb does not reduce the image size before it is published, so the files are huge. I am going to make smaller files of my images and use those instead.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 07:46 PM

Sorry, this was also posted in the Web Developer (but no one responded).

What about using HTML-Optimizer Pro to optimize the iWeb site? Would this help to make it load faster?

wingchuner
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 07:58 PM

Here is my work in progress so far...

Click Here
Yesterday is History,
Tomorrow's a Mystery,
Today is a Gift...
Which is why it is called the Present.
AIM- klovesrae

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 11:16 PM

I also played around with iWeb. Quite an impressive application for a 1.0 version.

Here is my website

http://www.felbab.com/jim

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2006, 04:19 PM

My page is ready to go....

http://www.dirtdoog.com/

Leave the little one a comment. Thx.

Seattle
Apr 11, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jwtseng
My page is ready to go....

http://www.dirtdoog.com/

Leave the little one a comment. Thx.
Very nice page and cute baby. I setup a page like yours.

Here is my iWeb page

http://www.puppybark.com

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2006, 06:38 PM

My iWeb page:

http://www.hi.is/~uni/

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Neologism82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2006, 10:18 PM

chrisuso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2006, 09:36 PM

Here is my iWebsite.

blog: www.chrisuso.com
DJ Mixes podcast: www.djhalf.com

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2006, 10:43 PM

Here's mine.
I gotta have more cowbell.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2006, 01:35 PM

Mine's not done yet (job, school, kid, etc.), but here's the beginning of my Kegerator story:

http://www.genevish.org/kegerator/
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

tcphoto
May 13, 2006, 09:14 AM

Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 09:50 AM

Cool webpages.

If you have iweb, do you have to pay to have your website on line, or does it come with a domain name/whaterver, kind of like a blog....

I mean, is it free or what?

Forum Links
Forum Rules