Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problem w/ sparkling/cracking sound on new Penry MBP

Problem w/ sparkling/cracking sound on new Penry MBP
mvip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 12:07 AM

Hi,
I picked up a new MBP a week or two ago. I couldn't be more happy with the computer in general (it was a nice upgrade from my old PB G4), but there's one thing that is really annoying. When I have my MBP hooked up to my external speakers I get a loud sparkling/cracking sound from time to time (sporadically with intervals from 5 to 30 min). I know there's nothing wrong with the speakers, because I've used them with my PB without any problem prior to upgrading.

Is this someone else recognize? I should probably stop by the Genius Bar and have them looking at it, but I don't have time to do that at this point.

shrugs*
Mar 20, 2008, 12:44 AM

Do you happen to have a cell phone on you / near you? GSM phones can cause some funny intermittent sounds.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

mvip  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by shrugs* View Post
Do you happen to have a cell phone on you / near you? GSM phones can cause some funny intermittent sounds.
Shrugs,
I do, but it's not that kind of sound. The sound resembles more of the sound you get when you happen to connect the nodes on the 3.5mm plug (like when it touches metal or something).

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2008, 02:41 AM

I get the same thing on my Nov '07 MacBook. I believe it has to due with the power management features of the CPU, but I've just learned to deal with it.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by mvip View Post
Hi,
I picked up a new MBP a week or two ago. I couldn't be more happy with the computer in general (it was a nice upgrade from my old PB G4), but there's one thing that is really annoying. When I have my MBP hooked up to my external speakers I get a loud sparkling/cracking sound from time to time (sporadically with intervals from 5 to 30 min). I know there's nothing wrong with the speakers, because I've used them with my PB without any problem prior to upgrading.

Is this someone else recognize? I should probably stop by the Genius Bar and have them looking at it, but I don't have time to do that at this point.
Apple did roll out a patch for it in tiger.... but it looks like they forgot about it when developing leopard!!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mvip  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 10:16 AM

jamil5454,
Glad to hear I'm not the only one w/ this problem. If you're having the same problem on your MB it must be a more generic problem than for the MBP w/ the penry.

richwig83,
Interesting point. Hopefully we'll see that Apple rolls out a patch for this for Leopard too soon. It's reeeeeeally annoying.

ibook_steve
Mar 20, 2008, 01:34 PM

If it's so annoying, why not contact Apple and get it taken care of? This is a brand new machine. You shouldn't have any problems.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

lisa_is_not_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 03:01 PM

I'd take it in to the genius bar.
MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) 111 gb internal,
WD Passport 150 gb & 230 gb. VERBATIM Smartdisk Firelite 111 gb
1st gen iPod Nano White
Bluetooth Mighty Mouse & Keyboard

mvip  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
If it's so annoying, why not contact Apple and get it taken care of? This is a brand new machine. You shouldn't have any problems.

Steve
The reason why I want to avoid taking it to Apple is that I cannot be without my laptop. It is clearly something that is covered by the warranty. I was just hoping there would be some quick-fix for this rather than a hardware thing.

mvip  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 03:48 PM

Guys,
I think I've managed to narrow down the problem. If i shut down the computer completely and leave it off for a moment and then boot it up, the problem is gone. I have a feeling that booting up Windows in VMWare Fusion is causing the problem, but I'm not sure yet.

mvip  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 04:10 PM

Never mind. The cracking/sparkling sounds still remains.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 22, 2008, 09:45 PM

Hey mvip, take a look at this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-noteb...nes-audio-out/

And my post in particular. Might be the same issue?

Forum Links
Forum Rules