Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Chimera 0.2.2 is out

Chimera 0.2.2 is out
brachiator
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 01:00 PM

and it is getting up to snuff on the basics (the very basics, that is...)

worth the tryout just to see the automatic pop-up ad killer!

Mike

[or maybe I just should have read the 0.2.1 thread... too much of a literalist on subject headings! ]

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: brachiator ]
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2002, 02:09 PM

good, so it has a pop-up killer now? I downloaded .2.1 yesterday and immediately stopped using it--it had almost no preferences, no way to limit javascript and cookie behaviour, and no pop-up killer (by extension a javascript issue).

it has promise and when it gets to the options and customization of omniweb and mozilla I'll definitely start using it. good effort guys (and maybe gals)!

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2002, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
<STRONG>good, so it has a pop-up killer now? I downloaded .2.1 yesterday and immediately stopped using it--it had almost no preferences, no way to limit javascript and cookie behaviour, and no pop-up killer (by extension a javascript issue).
</STRONG>
Fulmer, .21 does have a pop-up killer. The first time you go to a page with a pop-up a nifty sheet will slide down asking if you want to block off-site pop-ups in the future, very slick. It'll have a preference eventually, all in good time.

-matt

Dog Cow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2002, 02:41 PM

I've had the same problem with Chimera 0.2.2 as the others since 0.2 came out. It crashes on startup. I've erased all the preferences from previous versions but cannot figure whats up. I am running on 10.1.4 w/ 256 mb ram. Any suggestions would be helpful.

dc [/LIST]

-"Moof!"

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Dog Cow:
<STRONG>I've had the same problem with Chimera 0.2.2 as the others since 0.2 came out. It crashes on startup. I've erased all the preferences from previous versions but cannot figure whats up.[/LIST]</STRONG>
I had the same problem, but I managed to fix things by deleting the entire .mozilla folder in your home folder, then launching Mozilla to create a new .mozilla folder. After that everything worked fine. You might be able to just launch Chimera/Navigator after deleting the .mozilla folder...i'm not sure though.

BTW...this version has a serious issue with text entry in this forum. Typing this message i'm about 4 words ahead of text actually displaying...not good. Text entry in the location bar is excellent though.

-matt

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2002, 08:32 PM

Just downloaded 0.2.2 and am using it now to type this message. I LOVE IT. So much progress in such little time.

Wish there wasnt a delay in what I type in this message box though. :*(
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2002, 09:15 PM

<STRONG>I've had the same problem with Chimera 0.2.2 as the others since 0.2 came out. It crashes on startup. I've erased all the preferences from previous versions but cannot figure whats up. I am running on 10.1.4 w/ 256 mb ram. Any suggestions would be helpful.

dc [/LIST]</STRONG>
Have you been running them straight from the disc image, or another read-only volume? That will crash it every time (I don't know if anyone knows why yet). Copy it someplace where you have write permissions and try running it from there, and see if it works.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dog Cow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2002, 09:25 PM

I had the same problem, but I managed to fix things by deleting the entire .mozilla folder in your home folder, then launching Mozilla to create a new .mozilla folder. After that everything worked fine. You might be able to just launch Chimera/Navigator after deleting the .mozilla folder...i'm not sure though.
I just tried this but it didn't work. I am running it from my Applications folder, not the disc image, but thanx. Any other ideas?

dc

-"Moof!"

Colddiver2
Apr 21, 2002, 09:39 PM

Yep... I had the startup crash too but after trashing the .mozilla folder, everything was back to normal.

I must say, Chimera is not bad so far!

Colddiver

Faith, indeed, has up to the present not been able to move real mountains.... But it can put mountains where there are none.

- Friedrich Nietzche

Aqua OS X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2002, 10:03 PM

That favorites toolbar can use some help. It's fairly buggy and it is really hard to organize.

Chimera needs some improved drag and drop support as well. One should be able to drag files into the browser window and URLs into the favorites toolbar.

Dog Cow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2002, 12:33 AM

Yep... I had the startup crash too but after trashing the .mozilla folder, everything was back to normal.
Got rid of anything with "Mozilla" in its name but Chimera still crashes at startup, right after splash screen. Any other suggestions?

-"Moof!"

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 12:50 AM

<STRONG>Got rid of anything with "Mozilla" in its name but Chimera still crashes at startup, right after splash screen. Any other suggestions?</STRONG>
Remember, it's ".mozilla" not "Mozilla". Don't forget that dot (.) in the name which makes the folder invisible.

~/.mozilla/Profiles/Chimera is where Chimera's prefs are stored.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2002, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by starfleetX:

<STRONG>~/.mozilla/Profiles/Chimera is where Chimera's prefs are stored.</STRONG>
Why doesn't it store them just in the Preferences folder? That's what it's for.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

<hyatt>
Apr 22, 2002, 05:35 AM

We're going to. Remember that Chimera is built on the UNIX (Mach-O) back end, and so it inherited the UNIX way of doing things rather than the Mac way. (Hence the silly .mozilla dir.)

<-developer->
Apr 22, 2002, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by &lt;hyatt&gt;:

<STRONG>We're going to. Remember that Chimera is built on the UNIX (Mach-O) back end, and so it inherited the UNIX way of doing things rather than the Mac way. (Hence the silly .mozilla dir.)</STRONG>
Well, eventually you should switch to CFPrefernces (NSUserDefaults?) then.

I still think the buttons in the popup blocking dialog should be labeled (Don't block popups) (Block popups) instead of (Cancel) (OK). The dialog is much better now but it's still not clear if Cancel applies to popup blocking or showing the current popup.

Close Window and Close Tab should be in the same window where those objects have been created.

Should you implement help, could you please use the Apple Help Viewer? I know it's crap, but this is going to change (hopefully) and I sometimes want to use the Help menu to open the Mac Help (Center) and hate it when browsers don't let me do it because they use their own help viewer.

What do you think about renaming the file menu to Browser? This is in accordance with the Aqua guidelines and could make little more sense (e. g. New Tab is not a filing operation).

Keep up the good work!

Forum Links
Forum Rules