Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 11)
cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:
Bad brain! I shall punish thee with a week of reality television!
Come on now, the mistake wasn't bad enough to justify (effectively) lobotomizing yourself...

Mike S.
Senior User
Dec 5, 2003, 05:40 PM

Yes, perhaps that would be too harsh.

I'll forgive the brain this time.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Basically the same processor usage required by ShapeShifter 1.0.1, which is pretty close to none.

I do my development on a 500MHz G3 iBook, which ain't the speediest beastie in the world, so you can be pretty sure I'm not going to write anything that's too processor-intensive. We've actually scrapped quite a few possible features because there was no way to implement them in a processor-friendly way.

So basically, don't worry about CPU usage.
you do all that on a 500mhz ibook? well, i guess if its not graphics intensive i cant see why not. thats still pretty surprising to me.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 07:36 PM

I do professional Photoshop / Illustration work as well as web design and have done video editing via Premiere and FCP in my iBook 500, things don't zip by but it's not so slow that it can't be done... not too shocking.

Mac Guru

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 08:26 AM

ummm, forever?
Was just kidding, duh! Sheesh!
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Drifter
Dec 6, 2003, 01:15 PM

Bah humbug.
I still don't have my net back.

If I wasn't in a rush to get out to the office, I would have showed you the 120 AA Icons I made.
I replaced every app icon on my hard drive in one week, and even redid the Titanium Toolbar icons.

I could do the same for Omega. I would show you a screenshot of all them but alas, I forget to put it on my CD

I'm on an "indefinite" suspension, so I have alot of time to work
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

ender2002
Senior User
Dec 9, 2003, 09:27 PM

bump-shacka-lacka-bump, hey

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by ender2002:
bump-shacka-lacka-bump, hey
dont you mean

there is no reason this thread cant find the second page.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 10:00 PM

I hope it's still pre-xmas, it's coming up fast if so. How about on Sunday the 14th for my birthday?
click one

cxddesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 02:01 PM

I just hope its out during the specified released range it was given. Fall 2003. If its not, won't be the end of the world.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:34 PM

It's winter already...

I'm happy waiting for this right now. The later it is, the better I'm feeling the deadline on another sorta related project of mine. Only 2 weeks till xmas, eek!!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

mamamia
Dec 12, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by phillryu:
It's winter already...

no, it isn't.
funky bitch

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by mamamia:
no, it isn't.
youre one of those people who says "its tomorrow" as soon as its midnight, arent you?
feels like "winter" to me, tho still pre-solstice.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Dec 12, 2003, 03:28 PM

Definetly winter here. Plenty of snow and -30 degrees celsius does it for me.

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2003, 03:43 PM

I vote for winter.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 03:49 PM

We just had over a foot of snow, don't tell me it's not winter yet

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2003, 12:08 PM

We just had over a foot of snow, don't tell me it's not winter yet
Phil must live close to me. We got 9 inches last week, and are expecting more tomorrow and monday. Winter is here, unless, like my parents you move to florida to escape it.

cs
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Drifter
Dec 13, 2003, 12:31 PM

I got an ass load of snow too last week. I hit a bunch of cars moving near the entrance
Then it all melted yesterday.

Where the hell are you BBX?
It other news, if Dave lets me, I'm going to distribute my G5 folder additions. It has everything from games, to Charlie Brown, to Developer tools, to Homestar in them. Like 120+ icons for folders.
I made them this week.
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 02:17 PM

Xmas draws ever nearer...
me > < bbx
Well it also depends on SS being updated.
click one

registar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 05:15 PM

Sorry, Virginia. There is no Omega...

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 07:03 PM

Guys, I just saw the Konfab iTunes remote so far, and it is like WHOOOOOOA! Seriously, it's the ultimate konfabulator widget, the best I've ever seen! Better than any Audion skin, or anything really

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 07:12 PM

who'd you have to blow to see that

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 07:23 PM

Are you really that desperate?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 07:40 PM

Lucky...

Well I've got some cash ready to buy Konfab.
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 07:56 PM

And that has a lot to do with omega doesn't it?

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2003, 08:29 PM

just sayin', everyone around here is so tight-lipped, you musta had to so something to relieve them of that knowledge.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by cloudaj:
just sayin', everyone around here is so tight-lipped, you musta had to so something to relieve them of that knowledge.

He said before that he has been PMing bbx annoying him for a year, that's how he got a screen of Omega and the konfab widget.

And ya the main reason I'm buying konfab is Omega, and 2nd I had wanted to for some time now, 3rd it's my birthday tomorrow. I got to do something with my bday money. I think I'll go iTunes shopping too.
click one

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 09:18 PM

Come on, post the image of omega. You know you want you. I'll be your best friend

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Come on, post the image of omega. You know you want you. I'll be your best friend
He's not leaking screens so there will be no unofficial ports to Windows.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
He said before that he has been PMing bbx annoying him for a year, that's how he got a screen of Omega and the konfab widget.

And ya the main reason I'm buying konfab is Omega, and 2nd I had wanted to for some time now, 3rd it's my birthday tomorrow. I got to do something with my bday money. I think I'll go iTunes shopping too.
You will -not- be disappointed by this widget. When I saw it... wow.. there are just no words to describe it. Seriously, if I may say so, it was even more jaw dropping than my little omega screen. I can only start to imagine what bill could eventually do should shapeshifter really lift all of those OS X restrictions. This iTunes widget is the mother of all itunes widgets, and konfabulator widgets, and audio player skins on the mac. Drooool.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 10:18 PM

He should build a cpu monitor and clock into it too. lol It would be cool to have an all in one widget that looks cool.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 10:35 PM

CPU monitor does sound cool... but I think bill is just going to have this iTunes widget done by release... the way he makes these (3D modeling, etc.) is so time consuming, I'd really rather have other people make those widgets based on his designs, and have him work on another cool theme.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 10:57 PM

CPU monitor does sound cool... but I think bill is just going to have this iTunes widget done by release... the way he makes these (3D modeling, etc.) is so time consuming, I'd really rather have other people make those widgets based on his designs, and have him work on another cool theme.
Indeed.
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 11:55 PM

Example, after seeing the cool and cute 'iBop' Audio skin in another thread, I'm really starting to dig the concept of BBX:Utopia, the supposed white plastic/black rubber theme that Bill has planned. It'd be a seriously nice companion to Omega, and looking at Omega's iTunes widget, I can see such cool things for a white theme... The thing about Bill's art is, they actually feel like tangible objects, stuff you could hold in real life, perhaps because he models them in 3D. You really want to press the buttons in Omega, run your fingers over the menus, and handle the iTunes widget. And I can really imagine things would be ultra cool in a stormtrooperesque design. It'd be kinda like the iMac, but cooler

ender2002
Senior User
Dec 14, 2003, 01:25 PM

If BBX: Utopia is anything involving white and black, I hope will be based off the stormtropper costume, or better yet this music video by Bjork "All is full of love"

Here are some screenshots:
http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/521.html

Awesome music video, and if you haven't seen it, you should watch it, download it, or buy it, etc...

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2003, 04:48 PM

cunningham is godlike

eFX
Dec 14, 2003, 09:07 PM

BBX Utopia? how did you find that out? sounds real cool.

That would be wicked having a GUI to some extent like that, yep you are right about that it does remind me of StarWars StormTrooper body armour.

Imagine the kick ass detail he would have on it!

Though BBX Omega will be kick ass, with Blackness of it and from what that bloke said about the iTunes remote it does sound wicked no doubt about that.

isnt BBX Mirai, cant remember how that is spelt you know the Mirikaine one its silvery polished white and black?

This will be a great opener for the New Year for BBX Omega me thinks.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 01:13 AM

Ya he was talking about BBX Utopia when he first started talking about Mirai being a good ways done. So if we are lucky we'll have 3 new BBX themes with in a year or so.
click one

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2003, 06:18 PM

Mmmmm, three new themes...

SB

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2003, 11:39 PM

or none, by the time i can retire. some see it half empty, some half full.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 11:54 PM

I know we'll be seeing Omega out soon at the very least. And we can hope for Mirai and Utopia in the not so distant future.

Speculation based on following BBX's posts over the past year or so:
Mirai should be close to done by now since BBX had been working on it for over a year and then suddenly had to make Omega (I'm fine with that since I like dark themes). I'm sure if he puts his mind to it we could see Mirai in a few months. SO let us hope BBX isn't burnt-out after Omega. As for Utopia, he just mentioned it as a project he'd like to do after Mirai, so I have no clue as to how far away that would be.
click one

zell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 10:25 PM

heres my speculation:

we wont be seeing anything for a long time because bb is a procrastinator. he keeps pushing back dates...rest assured we'll see him push back this "by chrsitmas" or whatever he claimed. im in jsut as much anticipation as anyone here, but im starting to lose interest. theres no point in reading this thread anymore, or for a while atleast

pup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 10:45 PM

That's a POSITIVE attitude...

Originally posted by zell:
heres my speculation:

we wont be seeing anything for a long time because bb is a procrastinator. he keeps pushing back dates...rest assured we'll see him push back this "by chrsitmas" or whatever he claimed. im in jsut as much anticipation as anyone here, but im starting to lose interest. theres no point in reading this thread anymore, or for a while atleast

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 11:02 PM

Dude, trust me, Bill is not procrastinating. I've seen his work on Omega just fly recently. Well maybe he is a procrastinator, but he's working like a madman right now getting this finished up.

kidrocky7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 11:36 PM

just leave him alone. he must be working his ass off for us. he's doing this out of the kindness of his heart for us and isnt expection much from us but thanks. He can just decided not to release this and no of us will ever be able to use this.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2003, 12:12 AM

heres my speculation:

You're a newb, so what do you know? Though it seems likely it will be a little longer than we'd hoped for Omega since bbx is waiting on SS v1.1 for Omega to work in all it's glory. Just keep cool and enjoy it when that awesome day finally does come around.
click one

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 12:16 AM

anyone notice that bbx hasnt posted in here in a while? either hes an academic type (dont think so), has a new girlfriend, or is actually working on this theme. hopefully no news is good news.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 12:21 AM

we wont be seeing anything for a long time because bb is a procrastinator
I'm sorry, you seem to be under the impression that I owe you something here. That I've somehow wasted your valuable time. That you actually have some sort of notion as to just how much time something like this takes.

Tell us smart*ss, just how long should it take to design a totally original futuristic interface design and adapt that look consistently across 3 systems, 2 platforms, 3 animated media player skins, a dozen desktops, hundreds of icons, user templates with instructions and half a dozen application skins (keeping in mind that it all needs to look photorealistic with consistent lighting and surfaces throughout, be rendered as close to pro-quality as one can possibly get, implement still-in-development SS features and be beta)? Why don't you tell me - just so I know for next time.

Sorry to have to break this to you - but if it comes down to releasing a 'could've-been-better' kit before Xmas or releasing one I'm happy with sometime (even weeks) after, I'll be going with option 2. I'd rather not look back and regret not having pushed it into uber-cool territory. Not to mention the fact that I have a life, a family, a mortgage and a f*cking crazy marathon Christmas like everybody else that will be demanding my time as well.

You know it never ceases to amaze me... Here guys like myself are spending countless (read very costly) hours and considerable skill creating these fantastical never-before-seen interfaces for you for nothing more than the satisfaction of having done so, I might add - and you have the nerve to tell them they're taking too long??? Are you f*cking kidding me, dude? You've got to be kidding me.

You know what, kid - it's not worth your time coming back here for awhile... how about ever? Unappreciative weasel.
( Last edited by bbxstudio; Dec 17, 2003 at 12:36 AM. )

pup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 12:29 AM

all i can say is i am looking forward to uber cool, and also say that i can wait as long as it takes

(i hope i didn't sound too kiss*zz)

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by pup:
(i hope i didn't sound too kiss*zz)
That's not kiss*zz, it's decent (and appreciated). And I promise you won't be disappointed

Forum Links
Forum Rules