Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA�

[ANN] new BBX GUI Overlay Kit - BBX OMEGA� (Page 15)
cloudaj
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2003, 03:01 PM

EEP you said its just a theme.

quandarry heres a counting lesson, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Mac OSX isnt the first mas operating system (GASP OMG GASP), so even though he didnt make an OSX theme, he did make a theme for kalideoscope. Also theres BBX's other graphical work that hes done outside of themes.

im not trying to get into a big argument here, but saying the theme doesn't exist or BBX is dragging his feet is ridiculous. going back to the football analogies its like monday night quarterbacking, you can say how you would do something to great length, but in the end you are the one sitting on the couch with a beer and the person who actually is the proverbial quarterback is actually calling the shots.

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 03:40 PM

Hey, I've got an idea! How about those people who only have negative things to say � basically, those people who don't like how this is progressing � simply not post in this thread? And then the people who have positive things to say � William, people who have constructive things to say about the teasers/leaks, and some off-hand conversations (like the scrollbar animation) � could, like, post in this thread! Woah!

Honestly, people.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 03:53 PM

Or what about we let people with positive OR negative views to post, but keep it down to non flaming levels? And not continue this back and forth argument that could go on for another 10 pages?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
Or what about we let people with positive OR negative views to post, but keep it down to non flaming levels? And not continue this back and forth argument that could go on for another 10 pages?
Hey, I'm up for that too.

eFX
Dec 24, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
BBX's themes were definitely all part of that 2%.
Ultra sleek, dark series is really cool.
Wonder if these were his first creations?

I love the detail on that

However BBX does make the coolest titlebar buttons and push buttons.

Reading the last page or two of this thread is absoloutely disgraceful, people have no respect for themeing.

It's "give it to me now or we dont care if its finnished then people whine stuff is not finnished" to many people dont realize the work time that goes into theming, otherwise they would know how long it takes to have a professional theme.

If people are not pateint for Omega then tough luck, when his theme is done it is done appreciate his work then.

smeger
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 08:41 PM

I've mentioned this quite a few times already, but I'll mention it again. Omega depends on features that aren't present in the current release versions of ShapeShifter. So it can't come out until ShapeShifter 1.1 is released.

Feel free to bitch at me about this. Although it won't make me release more quickly.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Seion
Dec 24, 2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by quandarry:
a little history lesson for you since you are spouting bullsh!t...bbx has never, yes never made and reased a theme for os x!

i don't get where people think he is one of the el primo themers of the new millenium from.

I'm sorry... I seem to remember a very nice little theme for 10.1/Jaguar named BBX Mercury...
Normal People Worry Me.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Seion:
I'm sorry... I seem to remember a very nice little theme for 10.1/Jaguar named BBX Mercury...
That was originally for OS 9, and ported to OS X by Max Rudberg. So technically, it isn't a BBX OS X theme.

Seion
Dec 24, 2003, 09:12 PM

That was originally for OS 9, and ported to OS X by Max Rudberg. So technically, it isn't a BBX OS X theme.
Ah, I missed that technicality. A good theme, nonetheless.
Normal People Worry Me.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2003, 09:16 PM

Hmm, well, I thought that BBX Mercury was ported to OS X by Max Rudberg...oh wait, ya, it was here:
http://www.maxthemes.com/themes/bbxmercuryx.htm
I could be wrong.

christianclark
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
I've mentioned this quite a few times already, but I'll mention it again. Omega depends on features that aren't present in the current release versions of ShapeShifter. So it can't come out until ShapeShifter 1.1 is released. Feel free to bitch at me about this. Although it won't make me release more quickly.
Well ....f**k off then. BBX Omega supposed to be out by now. It is Christmas Eve and I have waited a few months for BBX Omega to come out. To Hell to ShapeShifter. To Hell to William. To Hell to BBX Omega. I am not going to waste my time & money on stupid college kid's project. I was going to buy ShapeShifter but I will never use ShapeShifter or BBX Omega. You are such a team of liars!

Christian

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2003, 02:12 AM

Oh my.

That is not so very nice.

Oh no, no, no.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by christianclark:
Well ....f**k off then. BBX Omega supposed to be out by now. It is Christmas Eve and I have waited a few months for BBX Omega to come out. To Hell to ShapeShifter. To Hell to William. To Hell to BBX Omega. I am not going to waste my time & money on stupid college kid's project. I was going to buy ShapeShifter but I will never use ShapeShifter or BBX Omega. You are such a team of liars!

Christian
buahahahaha! william bart is far from a college kid, idiot. and if you even read this entire thread, he gave plenty of warning that it might not be done by christmas. but he did say he might give us a real teaser as a christmas present. c'mon billy, its christmas time!

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2003, 02:54 AM

2 hours into Christmas here! Lets go with the present!!!

Dace
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 03:19 AM

Looks like someone got a bag of coals for Christmas. Well I'm still waiting for Omega, and if its as great as I think it will be...it just might make me purchase ShapeShifter, 'cause right now I'm not too impressed by it. All the guiKits I've seen don't provide a Bootpanel, customised Bootpanel progress bar or themed "root" elements. i understand its suppose to make theming safe, but I understand and accept the dangers of theming and so far I feel with SS we took a step back instead of forward and it costs 30$ canadian on top of that (15 or 20 canadian would have been more reasonable). I assume with SS 1.1 we will be seeing the ability to cusomize icons and desktops. Anyways, I was looking forward to SS as soon as i got my copy of 10.3, but now that i tried it, I am dissapointed and I'd rather stick with an app like themechanger ...thats free on top of that. In conclusion, I like guiPod, but its too bright and lacks contrast, I like EYLO, but its too bright and too "in your face" to quote the description. SS should come with more guiKits, some that are professional and useable. I see Unsanity doing something about it by coming out with the contest, but so far i haven't seen any professiuonal themes in development. I don't SS is worth 30$ at the moment.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2003, 08:32 AM

Christian
Hahahahahaha - this is the most pathetic post I think I've ever read

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 08:42 AM

Just go to his website Billy....it all becomes clear.

Originally posted by bbxstudio:

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
a little history lesson for you since you are spouting bullsh!t...bbx has never, yes never made and reased a theme for os x!

i don't get where people think he is one of the el primo themers of the new millenium from.

Ah Quandarry - I can always rely on you for a little support I guess I should have spit out a slew of Aqua mods and/or crappy one-offs for your approval maybe?

I think people have maybe placed a little faith in my abilities based on a much larger picture than you're willing to see...

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
2 hours into Christmas here! Lets go with the present!!!
Look back to Phillryu's response to the Xmas thing - he said more like Jan.1... it's his deal.

milhouse
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 09:20 AM

Christian
Hey Man, No offense but perhaps you need some fresh air... you know, outside, away from the computer?

It's just a theme for your OS. Life is Good.

Happy Holidays
"-Dodge This"

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 10:54 AM

I'm glad you still have your sense of humor BBX! I'd actually be getting a little pissed about now if it was me he was talking about! Merry X-mas! Hope the theme is coming along well!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Odinn Zero Five
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 11:39 AM

As I am sure you can see by my post count I have not spoken up much around here. I do stalk the forums and have been doing so for quite some time now. I have been drawn back to this thread a number of times to see the progress on Omega, and to see if any hints have leaked out. I have been noticing as of late a lot of people craping all over this thread about the delay times in Omega's release. I am not a theamer. I cannot do what they do. I must rely on them and their talents to change the GUI of OS X. And I am grateful to them and to Unsanity for Shape Shifter. So before I go any futher... Thank you for all your hard work.

To all of those who are upset with BBX I must say, have a little patience. If you are waiting for Omega to come out then wait. Don't complain about something that you are not involved in. Did you place an order with BBX? Did you give him money and he give you a specific date to be completed in? You have no investment in the project in which he is placing so much time and effort. The only thing you have done to help this project along is whine and complain. And it is not going to help. I look forward to seeing Omega in action and hope that when I see it that it will blow my socks off (if I am wearing any at the time). I fully support BBX in his efforts and wish him and all people who put effort and time to make OS X more fun and usable, smooth sailing and untroubled waters. Merry Christmas all.

That said I return to my silence...... maybe.
Odinn Zero Five
( Last edited by Odinn Zero Five; Dec 25, 2003 at 11:44 AM. )

Odinn Zero Five
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 11:42 AM

dang double posts.

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Odinn Zero Five:
Welcome to the Jungle!

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 12:31 PM

I have to agree. I've been watching this thread, and I see both sides of the coin. Yeah, i'd've loved to have had Omega out by its original envisioned date. On the other hand, I also want BBX to do what he does best and make the theme rock. BBX has offered us his time, generously I might add, and is attempting to make the theme as best he can.

Smeger, as well, is pushing the envelope and is creating an update set for SS that will knock people's socks off and make theming a whole new ballgame. And he's coding it by himself.

It takes time to code anything, and every time a holdup happens for whatever reason, it delays everything that's depending on the project's continued advancement.

If you don't like what BBX is doing, go somewhere else. Sure, we all want Omega out. We are all chomping at the bit. However, whining about pauses in the development will do absolutely nothing to get it done and will only hinder the person who has to create the theme.

Oh, and I thought quandarry left the board? Guess not...

Dave

quandarry
Dec 25, 2003, 12:35 PM

Ah Quandarry - I can always rely on you for a little support I guess I should have spit out a slew of Aqua mods and/or crappy one-offs for your approval maybe?

I think people have maybe placed a little faith in my abilities based on a much larger picture than you're willing to see...
hey bbx...i'm well aware of the bigger picture but i just like to kick up a little sh!t...you know play the devil's advocate...it just seems to take me over soon as i drop into the gui forum and usually starts up a little more spicy dialogue instead of the bland wallpaper paste tasting stuff.

i'm sure everyone will have to eat their words sooner or later...spicy or pasty taste aside.

ps: merry christmas to everyone...hmmm, now where's my rum and eggnog?

quandarry
Dec 25, 2003, 12:45 PM

Christian

don't mind him smeger...i don't think his medication has kicked in yet.

quandarry
Dec 25, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by MorphOSX:

Oh, and I thought quandarry left the board? Guess not...

Dave
i knew you'd miss me!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 03:03 PM

wow everyone is sounding like a bunch of little kids who didn't get what they wanted for christmas.
click one

sayonaraML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 04:09 PM

Hey to all of you jolly posters and everone who's added anything more than one post negative and/or positive. Whether or not Omega actually sees the light of day, this thread has been flat out hilarious in all of its extremes and I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't done it to read it all the way through...Whoa-might take some time but its as least as good as Matrix 2 and better than 3. I bought ShapeShifter and like it as much as one is able to like a theme and while I'm interested in seeing Omega lean toward lighter themes (Drawaing Board has always been my idea of a peerfect theme and I'm currently gratefully using DXB). Anyhow, this has been a hoot...Blessings to all, Merry Christmas to BBX and others...

Sage
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2003, 04:26 PM

Ha ha, you're funny! Thanks for brightening up my Christmas with a heavy dose of idiocy.

onlooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 04:45 PM

You guy's scratched the subject so I'm inclined to go a little off topic for a second by noting that I cant even get ShapeShifter to preview themes after all the recent updates to Panther, and my digital clock in the menubar is FUBAR.
By that I mean I have aqua panther back, but my digital clock font is white so to see the time I need to click the invisible space.

I'm not completely satisfied with ShapeShifter by any means.

chezpaul
Senior User
Dec 25, 2003, 04:50 PM

The funny thing about the internet is that U tend to forget that we have all ages here... Lots of kids is what I'm saying... Kids act like kids...
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by onlooker:
... and my digital clock in the menubar is FUBAR. By that I mean I have aqua panther back, but my digital clock font is white so to see the time I need to click the invisible space.

I'm not completely satisfied with ShapeShifter by any means.

Dude, that's not from Shape Shifter. That from the Isa extras that came with DSX 3.0. Just run the Restore that cam in the same folder.

onlooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Dude, that's not from Shape Shifter. That from the Isa extras that came with DSX 3.0. Just run the Restore that cam in the same folder.
Thanks for the heads up on that. You wouldn't know why ShapeShifter isn't working would you, or will that fix SS too?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by onlooker:
Thanks for the heads up on that. You wouldn't know why ShapeShifter isn't working would you, or will that fix SS too?
No, I don't think that would affect SS in any way, but the way to fix almost every program in OSX is to search your preferences folder for it's prefs and toss them. I think OSX should offer to delete a program's prefs when a program crashes instead of offering some kind of bug report.

Drifter
Dec 25, 2003, 09:49 PM

Well then, this is what I'll do with BBX Omega once it comes out. I just finished my AA System icons @ my iDisk.

This is what I plan to do with Omega, DL and see.
They call be�tater salad.
American, Conservative, Jew, Geek, Photoshop nut, headbanger, and proud!
Punks bands suck,
Metal pwns.
Communism tastes like chicken.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2003, 10:53 PM

wow. what a set

Great job!

-Owl

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Drifter:
Well then, this is what I'll do with BBX Omega once it comes out. I just finished my AA System icons
I used to think you were just a nut, but those are very impressive. Really nice flawless work. Thanks!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 12:41 AM

This looks really cool but... I don't know how to install the toolbar replacement set, etc.! All I can see are the bezels and dock poof. Help!

MorphOSX
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 02:23 AM

Phill? Whatcha talkin 'bout, willis?

Dave

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 02:27 AM

dont help phil until he lets us see Omega

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Drifter:
I just finished my AA System icons @ my iDisk.
Drifter, I'd appreciate it if you'd remove all the hacked versions of my G5 folder icons from your archive. Naturally, you are free to do what you want on your own system, but I think I've made it as clear as I possibly can that I don't allow people to re-distribute altered or hacked versions of my work.

Thanks.

Dave Brasgalla
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 12:04 PM

Drifter, I just checked my email and saw your permission request - although I notice you didn't wait for an answer. Unfortunately, the answer is still the same. I have clearly stated usage guidelines to try to avoid this type of misunderstanding. I appreciate that you asked, but unlike some artists, I don't do collaborations. Sorry if this is disappointing, but it has been my official position for a long, long time. I recommend that you spend your time on creating original work, as you will then own the rights and be able to do as you please.

William - sorry about the intrusion. I now return this thread to it's regularly-scheduled programming, i.e. whinging about delays of Omega.

quandarry
Dec 26, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Dave Brasgalla:
William - sorry about the intrusion. I now return this thread to it's regularly-scheduled programming, i.e. whinging about delays of Omega.
anyone want some cheese with their whine?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 01:10 PM

Let this be a lesson to you BBX. Don't advertise a theme which is going to take forever to produce. I went through the same thing with my XP Watercolor theme. It was the first of it's kind, a brand new theme for XP, not a luna mod. I was hassled repeatedly, and even had people threatening me cause it wasnt out when they expected it to be. Only difference between us is that I did release my theme, a little late, but not this late.

Moral of the story is, don't hype themes you're working on if you can't take the pressure and can't actually produce something within a reasonable timeframe.

Chris

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Moral of the story is, don't hype themes you're working on if you can't take the pressure and can't actually produce something within a reasonable timeframe.

Chris
So did your theme have these?

o Theme(s), Dock skin(s), iTunes and Safari skin(s), system wide icons, desktop graphics, high-quality futuristic stereo alert sounds, (possible) Konfabulator widget(s) and more!

o 'Construction kits' featuring layered icon templates and desktop elements for a 'build your own' experience

Maybe Bill's reasonable timeframe would be something different from your own?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 01:19 PM

So did your theme have these?

o Theme(s), Dock skin(s), iTunes and Safari skin(s), system wide icons, desktop graphics, high-quality futuristic stereo alert sounds, (possible) Konfabulator widget(s) and more!

o 'Construction kits' featuring layered icon templates and desktop elements for a 'build your own' experience

Maybe Bill's reasonable timeframe would be something different from your own?
He has repeatedly stated his timeframe as 'soon'. Soon never seems to come with this theme. I don't care if his idea is to gold plate the theme before release. You don't hype a theme for months without producing ANYTHING. You just don't do that as a reputable themer. And I'm certainly not complaining for my own sake, I don't even have OS X so I could care less if this theme is ever released. I'm just saying, as a fellow themer, that I can understand why people are getting edgy and upset. He went about this the wrong way, that is all.

Chris

phillryu
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 01:36 PM

Oh, for God's sake he HAS produced something. He's produced more than Watercolor ever produced! Several people on this board have seen it. It's not a big sham![list=6][*]There is something. Omega is all it's hyped up to be![*]People have seen it, besides Bill.[*]It's more ambitious than any other OS X theme to date. Some themes need longer time frames than others.[*]He has never given a solid release date... it's basically been, 'it'll be released when it's ready'[*]Bill is not one to release a half done, even a 99% done product.[*]There's no point in bitching about this, because it's Bill's product, it's free, and he's giving it out of the goodness of his heart, not because he's aiming for a release date, or leading us on, or making money off of it.[/list=6]

Oh, and of course this theme has a windows version being developed along side of it. You know very well that Watercolor being ported to OS X was itself a long process.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2003, 01:46 PM

Oh, for God's sake he HAS produced something. He's produced more than Watercolor ever produced!
Oh right.

Let's see if this theme get's close to a million downloads. Oh... sorry, there might not even be a million mac users, nevermind mac users who use themes.

Again, I havent said anything is a sham, did you even read what I wrote? I simply suggested that next time he doesnt hype something for months without releasing anything, even a mock up.

Just a suggestion, don't freak out now. I wouldnt want you to pass out, what with it being christmas and all.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules