Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photo Signatures in Mail.app?

Photo Signatures in Mail.app?
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 10:00 AM

I set up a photo signature for my @mac.com address and it shows up in the mac.com webmail but not in Mail.app. Is it working for anybody?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 10:25 AM

check MailPicture on versiontracker.com.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Sharky K. ]

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:

<STRONG>check MailPicture on versiontracker.com.</STRONG>
Hm yes, but that requires the recipient to install it. Then I could just send him my image to include it in his Address Book.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 11:00 AM

Yes, I also would like to know what Apple is using. I looked at the source of the message but I could not find anything

Rickster
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 08:46 PM

Looks like Mail talks to mac.com via HTTP whenever you look at a message from a [email protected] address and downloads a picture to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.addressservices/Photos if necessary. That communication fails silently if there's a problem with proxy servers or if you're not connected to the Internet, apparently.

Also, it's tied to the "Download all images, animations, and other HTML attachments" setting in preferences. Which is kind of silly, since I want to be able to see people's photo signatures but don't want spammers getting confirmation that I read their HTML mail.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2002, 10:43 PM

It works great for me, and if after setting up the photo signature via the webmail it will also work from Mail.app. So now when I send messages with Mail.app other OS X users will see the picture.

The only downfall I see is the cache doesn't update, so be sure to get a picture you like from the start, otherwise people you've already e-mailed won't see your new picture.

-matt

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2002, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:

<STRONG>Also, it's tied to the "Download all images, animations, and other HTML attachments" setting in preferences. Which is kind of silly, since I want to be able to see people's photo signatures but don't want spammers getting confirmation that I read their HTML mail.</STRONG>
Yes, indeed. That was it. How did you figure that out? Let's write feedback to the webmail feedback page.

Originally posted by ratlater:

<STRONG>The only downfall I see is the cache doesn't update, so be sure to get a picture you like from the start, otherwise people you've already e-mailed won't see your new picture.</STRONG>
I'll write feedback about that too.

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2002, 06:53 AM

I wrote them the first day about having mail update the cached pictures periodically, hopefully enough people will email them that they'll take notice.
~BS

Forum Links
Forum Rules