Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > This is Why The Rule of Law is SO Important

This is Why The Rule of Law is SO Important
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 05:07 PM

US Soldier Admits Iraq Girl Rape

We have rules and laws for our soldiers to follow and our military, ofr the most part, punished those who trangress those rules. While the folks in Iraq were rightly outraged upon learing of this atrocity, I hope they can take comfort knowing that this soldier, and the others who participated in the crime, will be punished for their actions.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 05:10 PM

Sorry, chief, somebody beat you to it.

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...rts-and-minds/

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
US Soldier Admits Iraq Girl Rape

We have rules and laws for our soldiers to follow and our military, ofr the most part, punished those who trangress those rules. While the folks in Iraq were rightly outraged upon learing of this atrocity, I hope they can take comfort knowing that this soldier, and the others who participated in the crime, will be punished for their actions.
So a US soldier commits a crime against an Iraqi while occupying Iraq and will be judged by US justice. No thats not justice, if he were to stand trial in an Iraqi court and be sentenced to death, that would be justice for the parents of the victim.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
So a US soldier commits a crime against an Iraqi while occupying Iraq and will be judged by US justice. No thats not justice, if he were to stand trial in an Iraqi court and be sentenced to death, that would be justice for the parents of the victim.
He probably will be anyhow. He had admitted to it. And they said if found guilty, may face the death penalty.

Though him admitting to it, is probably him copping a plea for life.

Either way his life as he knows it is over. He is far from getting away with it.

If I was in his shoes, I'd take the DP. They do horrid things to rapists and child murderers in the prisons.

marden
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Sorry, chief, somebody beat you to it.

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...rts-and-minds/
The title of the thread whose link you provide here shows why thread titles should be descriptive and indicate the content of the discussion to be found therein.

"This is Why The Rule of Law is SO Important Reply to Thread" is only SLIGHTLY better than..."How to Win Hearts and Minds."

Either one could be about any number of different subjects.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if a third or even a fourth thread is started about this topic until SOMEONE finally alludes to the subject IN THE TITLE.

US Soldier Admits Iraqi Girl's Rape

</rant>

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
</rant>
agreed.

Also, it doesn't need to be tried in an Iraqi court for there to be justice. This is no different than being tried in another US state that just doesn't have the death penalty. I don't know how the army deals with it, but states have statutes on their long arm jurisdiction for just this reason.

He will deservedly spend the rest of his life in jail and every other soldier will know this and will hopefully be deterred.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules