Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > X men 3

X men 3
Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
May 26, 2006, 05:45 AM

So i saw it today and i have to say it wasnt as bad as there making it out to be.The plot is lacking and it feels rushed but it was good fun none the less.The biggest gripe is that they tried to fit so much content and camoes into such a short running time.

Anyone else seen it yet?
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 07:30 AM

i hope to in a few hours or, i may golf. depends on the weather. if the rain stops, it will be golf.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 08:16 AM

A little overdone for my taste. I understand its a summer blockbuster but seriously, they crammed a little too much into it.

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 26, 2006, 08:58 AM

Rushed?!?!?!?! X2 came out like 5 freakin years ago! How hte hell could it be rushed?

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by FrankeniMac
X2 came out like 5 freakin years ago!
Did filming start 5 years ago?

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 09:00 AM

I'm an idiot and read all the spoilers before seeing it. Oh well.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 26, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
I'm an idiot and read all the spoilers before seeing it.
I kept changing the channel everytime a commercial came on

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 09:31 AM

We went to see the midnight show and I wasn't terribly impressed, but it was fun nevertheless. There was a bit too much packed into the 1 hour and 44 minutes.
But like I said, all in all it was a fun movie.

Did anyone stay after the credits? There was a clip afterwards, about 30 seconds or so.

: copy from here for a spoiler :

The clip starts with a nurse looking over a man, in a bed, and all of the (heart/brain) monitors. The man starts to stir and says "Moira" (in Charle's voice) (pretty sure it was Moira) and the nurse looks at the man and says "Charles?"

The nurse is the lady that was the nurse for the man that Charles was talking, to the students, about who had no consciousness.
It seems like Charles 'inserted' his consciousness into the 'body' of that man.

I just found a excerpt from (www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=6748) this review of the movie.

"If you stick around after the credits, there’s another coda to the story – and it’s one that frankly baffles the s**t out of me. It’s of Moira MacTaggart tending to a bandaged patient. Yes, it’s Charles Xavier, back from the dead. Not only do these two scenes make a mockery of the idea that this is the final chapter, they also completely belittle the two main strands of the film we’ve just seen, by diminishing the permanence of both the mutant cure and the power of the Phoenix."

: copy to here for a spoier :

Rumor
May 26, 2006, 12:33 PM

I'm going to see it tonight.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2006, 01:57 PM

Forgot something. My favorite part:

spoiler
Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaught bitch!
/spoiler

Rumor
May 26, 2006, 02:03 PM

Pretty nifty use of font color, MDC.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 02:41 PM

it was bad. The characters weren't developed (even though it was a sequel, they should be developed), nothing really happened. Shure, people died, but there was no huge impact that was felt when it occured. All of a sudden Kitty is big news and meeting the teachers to discuss the end of the school.

It was bad.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 06:48 PM

Rushed?!?!?!?! X2 came out like 5 freakin years ago! How hte hell could it be rushed?
The film was rushed because the studio announced a release date before they even had a script in hand. Then the director they hired to replace Bryan Singer (who ankled, as Variety would say, to Warners to direct "Superman Returns") quit just eight weeks before production was set to begin. Rather than push back the release, the studio hired Brett Ratner at the last minute.

And it does show. The script is just a collection of set-ups with nothing to connect them, and the big emotional moments aren't given any time to develop. They had a lot of ideas and no idea of what to give priority, so they just kept throwing in more mutants.

I'm probably more generous about this movie than most, because I do like Brett Ratner and, well, I'm just happy to see the X-Men up on the big screen. I don't mind the story changes they made from the comics, because there's no way to do the comics' Phoenix story in the world set up by the first two films. I just wish the studio had been as willing to spend as much time on the movie as money.

It's not "Fantastic Four" bad, but it should have been so much better. But it's not like every issue of the comics has been a brilliant work of art, either.

So here's my question (spoiler in Invisotext):

Did Mystique betray Magneto by telling the Feds what she thought was the location of his camp? Or did she help him by sending the troops to what she knew was a decoy?
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

©öñFü$íóÑ
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2006, 07:13 PM

i liked it

paul w
Mac Elite
May 26, 2006, 07:20 PM

the posters look awesome, but I opted for the new Almodovar instead.

pugs1230
May 26, 2006, 11:23 PM

Did anyone stay after the credits? There was a clip afterwards, about 30 seconds or so.

how long after the credits?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 12:06 AM

I went in thinking it was going to be a "meh" movie after a "meh" 1 and 2.

This was the best comic book movie ever made IMO. They were not afraid to MAKE A GOOD MOVIE and forget about comic book continuity.

This is no shakespeare but it was perfect for memorial day weekend start.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 12:16 AM

I mean the film itself felt rushed.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin
The film was rushed because the studio announced a release date before they even had a script in hand. Then the director they hired to replace Bryan Singer (who ankled, as Variety would say, to Warners to direct "Superman Returns") quit just eight weeks before production was set to begin. Rather than push back the release, the studio hired Brett Ratner at the last minute.

And it does show. The script is just a collection of set-ups with nothing to connect them, and the big emotional moments aren't given any time to develop. They had a lot of ideas and no idea of what to give priority, so they just kept throwing in more mutants.

I'm probably more generous about this movie than most, because I do like Brett Ratner and, well, I'm just happy to see the X-Men up on the big screen. I don't mind the story changes they made from the comics, because there's no way to do the comics' Phoenix story in the world set up by the first two films. I just wish the studio had been as willing to spend as much time on the movie as money.

It's not "Fantastic Four" bad, but it should have been so much better. But it's not like every issue of the comics has been a brilliant work of art, either.

Did Mystique betray Magneto by telling the Feds what she thought was the location of his camp? Or did she help him by sending the troops to what she knew was a decoy?

You also left out director matthew vaughn who also bailed on the project.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoBruin

Open ended for interpretation but for right now, I assume she's a criminal and she got leniancy for what she did. Plus, Magneto playing her like he did was mean and the nasty Mystique in this movie would have wanted revenge. Can you say X-Men 4?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
We went to see the midnight show and I wasn't terribly impressed, but it was fun nevertheless. There was a bit too much packed into the 1 hour and 44 minutes.
But like I said, all in all it was a fun movie.

: copy from here for a spoiler :

The clip starts with a nurse looking over a man, in a bed, and all of the (heart/brain) monitors. The man starts to stir and says "Moira" (in Charle's voice) (pretty sure it was Moira) and the nurse looks at the man and says "Charles?"

The nurse is the lady that was the nurse for the man that Charles was talking, to the students, about who had no consciousness.
It seems like Charles 'inserted' his consciousness into the 'body' of that man.

I just found a excerpt from (www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=6748) this review of the movie.

"If you stick around after the credits, there’s another coda to the story – and it’s one that frankly baffles the s**t out of me. It’s of Moira MacTaggart tending to a bandaged patient. Yes, it’s Charles Xavier, back from the dead. Not only do these two scenes make a mockery of the idea that this is the final chapter, they also completely belittle the two main strands of the film we’ve just seen, by diminishing the permanence of both the mutant cure and the power of the Phoenix."

: copy to here for a spoier :

I disagree. They made a film that the fans should love. I thought almost everything they did was entertaining and clever (if not cheesy). My friend who is a HUGE comic fan said there are tons of in-jokes. He felt a lot of love was put into this movie.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2006, 02:03 AM

I think the best way to explain it is this: It was an OK movie that still left me unsatisfied. Some parts were awesome. Ian McKellen was good as ever. The girl who played the inexplicably important Kitty was good. Phoenix was badass. The ending — while it had some cool-looking effects — was lame, emotionless and totally derivative.

I'd been warned not to go in expecting the comics, so I wasn't too upset at how they wasted Psylocke, Callisto and a dozen other characters, but I still didn't think it quite worked. There were parts where I was totally into it, but the end just lost me. It's worth a see if you're just looking for a neat action movie, but I liked the first two better.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 03:26 AM

(Slight spoilers here if you're anal)

The whiz bang action was great. The writing was awful except for two one liners near the end and no I'm NOT talking about the one Ice Man gets to say to Pyro. Ugh.

My girlfriend and I actually laughed out loud along with the theatre at some of the serious parts because they were so over-the-top stupid and obvious. It's no wonder the director quit with this script. They tried to cram so much into a made-for-short-attention-spans movie that it all feels like you're being pandered to as a "stupid american consumer" rather than a smart moviegoer which is what most people are.

I liked it and hated it at the same time.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rob van dam
You also left out director matthew vaughn who also bailed on the project.
That's who I meant by "the director they hired to replace Bryan Singer."

I'll probably see it again this weekend. I often like movies better on a second viewing. Besides, I want another look at that "Superman Returns" trailer.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 11:41 AM

The movie theater I went to was packed with a positive crowd. Some fans of comics but overall very positive. I notice the ridiculous assed one-liners too but when you lookup and see Ian McClellan with a bucket on his head you don't take it seriously...

Rumor
May 27, 2006, 02:05 PM

JUGGERNAUT IS NOT A MUTANT!!!!

That really pissed me off. Here is some more information on him. Other than that, the movie was pretty good. I think it could have been another 15 - 30 minutes longer though.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2006, 03:19 PM

Juggernaut isn't a mutant in the comics, and Callisto has completely different powers in the comics, and she isn't a member of the Brotherhood in the comics, and neither is Psylocke, and Pyro can't create fire in the comics, and Rogue actually did use to be in the Brotherhood and acquired invulnerability in the comics. I think, in short, the movies are not the comics.
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 27, 2006, 03:31 PM

Pyro had devices on his hands to create fire, to manipulate. That was accurate to the comic. Callisto was suppose to be part of the Morlocks, not the Brotherhood. Rogue was totally done wrong from teh start. One... she was older and, two... she had Ms. Marvels power of invulnerability and was able to fly. She was basically a female Wolverine minus claws and a southern belle accent.

Overall with the changes I liked the movie, however I wish before any comic movie is ever made the producer/director should be a fan or have read it over a large span. I never understood why they try to change things so much. You can't create a true to comic 2 hour movie based on a 40+ year franchise reading just a few issues, and expect to grasp the overall concept.

Dakar
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
JUGGERNAUT IS NOT A MUTANT!!!!

That really pissed me off. Here is some more information on him. Other than that, the movie was pretty good. I think it could have been another 15 - 30 minutes longer though.
Not to mention he's Charles' brother as well.

ghporter
Administrator
May 27, 2006, 04:38 PM

I liked it a lot. There was a LOT of character development in the main characters. You see the real friendship between Charles and Eric, you see Storm becoming more than she though she could be, Logan gets over himself to a great extent, and Bobby gets to grow up. It was a comic book story with very good acting, and lots and LOTS of feeling. I really enjoyed it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Uriel
Forum Regular
May 27, 2006, 05:10 PM

I know there's a alot of comic book fans that are upset over some things (Juggernaut not being a mutant) but, for the average movie goer it worked out fine.

I really enjoyed the movies, never been a comic book guy, so to me the movies are the only X-Men world I know. To me it seems fine.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2006, 08:17 PM

i decided to not read this thread until i saw the movie.

this movie was really good i thought. there was even this cute girl next to me who described herself as a "geek" in the field of comics who REALLY got into the movie, and started crying a couple of times. it was an emotional rollercoaster of sorts.

i give this movie 4/5

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 27, 2006, 08:18 PM

Well, as a long-time fan of X-Men comics, I really liked it. Yes, they changed some things (Callisto had the powers of another Morlock, Caliban), but there were quite a few that were true to the source (including Arclight).

Not only did the first X-writer, Stan "The Man" Lee, make his regular appearance, but the greatest X-writer, Chris Claremont, also made a cameo.

All in all, I think it was better than the first one. Sir Ian was spectacular as always. Just like in the comics, the "villain" Magneto comes across as the strongest and most important character.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 09:46 AM

I liked it. Well done. Xmen movies always end too soon, leaving me wanting more.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2006, 09:56 AM

To those of you who have seen it.Have you noticed footage from the trailers missing in the film? It could be a thought to the short running time.

Helmling
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 10:05 AM

I did notice that. Wolverine's big "You've got a war out there that you might not come back from, she might not come back..." speech was AWOL. Those were some good lines, too. Weird.

Rob van dam  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling
I did notice that. Wolverine's big "You've got a war out there that you might not come back from, she might not come back..." speech was AWOL. Those were some good lines, too. Weird.

yeah thats the one i was refering to.There might be more

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 10:44 AM

Hey guys, if someone was interested in going back and reading the original Xmen story in order of some sort. Are there are compilation books, or things like that that would work well for someone who has never read any of them?

-Owl

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 11:28 AM

OwlBoy... yeah. Marvel puts out these X-Men Classics compilations that are on medium quality paper and are the size of 1/3 phone books or so.

They are numbered 1, 2, 3 or so...

You may want to pick up the ones from the 80s where Chris Claremont and John Byrne worked on the series. They are known for the beginning of the modern age telling of the heroes which introduce Wolverine, Colossus and many others.

lavar78
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy
Hey guys, if someone was interested in going back and reading the original Xmen story in order of some sort. Are there are compilation books, or things like that that would work well for someone who has never read any of them?
Marvel Masterworks: Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 is a good place to start. The link is to the hardcover version, but you should be able to find the softcover version (including at book stores like Barnes & Noble). It collects the first issues of the 1975 X-Men renaissance, which introduces the second wave of X-Men (new characters Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Sunfire, and Thunderbird as well as former villain Banshee and almost-new Wolverine). The original X-Men comics (featuring the Xavier, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast, Iceman, and Magneto) had some good ideas, but they are undoubtedly some of Stan Lee's most lackluster books from the early '60s.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 01:08 PM

Wow. I can't believe most of you seemed to realliy like the movie.

I mean, the action was pretty good, but other than that it was derivative and totally void of logic or plot or character development. The script was pretty embarrassing for the most part, and of course I'm not gonna even go into all the odd deviations from the comic book. Plus, why add new characters that are pretty much useless except to show off their mutant powers...or take out other characters that were pretty cool in previous movies?

Take, for example, moving the freakin' bridge. If you can move the damn thing, why not just throw it at Alcatraz and kill the kid?!?! It's stuff like that really pissed me off.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 01:29 PM

I thought the movie was pretty good. Great action but mediocre story. There was certainly a lot of cool stuff from the comics like the "Fastball Special" which made it enjoyable.

I liked seeing all the mutants but they all have such complicated back-stories that their brief parts did them absolutely no justice. Collosus? ShadowCat? Callisto? You could make a good movie just focusing on one of them alone. Another thing that bugs me is WTH are they doing with Rogue? At this point she should have Ms. Marvel's powers right?

Oh and they should have showed Shadow Cat (Kitty) walking on air, b/c she did it all the time while phasing.

Definitely worth seeing in the theatre. But this movie should have been 3hrs long at least. They really just need to stick with a few mutants and focus on them indefinitely.
( Last edited by greenamp; May 28, 2006 at 01:40 PM. )

Madferret
Forum Regular
May 28, 2006, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton
Wow. I can't believe most of you seemed to realliy like the movie.
Wow. I can't believe you went to a comic book movie expecting it to be 100% faithful to the comic, have an oscar winning script, real character development drama/chick bullshit, and an absense of cheesy one liners.

christ
Professional Poster
May 28, 2006, 01:38 PM

-Owl
Wikipedia.

Really good distillations of the story lines for each of the major characters, which you can put together to get the overall picture.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2006, 01:45 PM

1. Ms. Marvel probably doesn't exist in the movie's universe, and Rogue was never part of the Brotherhood in this continuity, so there's no way Rogue would have stolen her powers. If they didn't want to bring in Gambit, though, they could at least have given her Gambit's powers.

2. If I recall, Kitty didn't know how to air-walk at first. She first did it when she was running from someone and ended up in midair. And then she fell all Wyle E. Coyote-style because she had no idea what she was doing. (That's my recollection from reading old X-Men comics.)
Chuck
___

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 02:11 PM

Sorry to keep pushing the topic off target, but what do you guys think of the new Ultimate serise? seems like it would be a good way for a total noob to X-Men comics, and comics in general to go.

-Owl

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 02:16 PM

Sorry to keep pushing the topic off target, but what do you guys think of the new Ultimate serise? seems like it would be a good way for a total noob to X-Men comics, and comics in general to go.

-Owl
The Ultimate series is a kindof "twisted" version of the stories. I don't mean twisted in a bad way, though. It's pretty good, but deviates from what is generally considered as cannon.

For instance, Collosus was a former member of the Russian mob who is revealed to be gay. Cool twist but pretty different form the classic storyline.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
1. Ms. Marvel probably doesn't exist in the movie's universe, and Rogue was never part of the Brotherhood in this continuity, so there's no way Rogue would have stolen her powers. If they didn't want to bring in Gambit, though, they could at least have given her Gambit's powers.

2. If I recall, Kitty didn't know how to air-walk at first. She first did it when she was running from someone and ended up in midair. And then she fell all Wyle E. Coyote-style because she had no idea what she was doing. (That's my recollection from reading old X-Men comics.)
Oh, I guess I always just figured the 1st X-Men movie started off right after Rogue left Mystique to join the X-Men. But yeah now that i think about it, in the 1st movie after she ran away, she was found by Wolverine. Bleh, I guess it makes sense now, since in the movie story she was not raised by Mystique and was never part of the brotherhood.

I don't think I ever saw when Kitty 1st used her air walking trick, I just remember it always being something she did when she was an X-man. But I just need to accept that the movie story line is very different.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2006, 02:47 PM

Owl, if you decide to get the compilations, be sure to note what year the orginal comic was released. A lot of has happened over the years in the comic and something only make sense if you think about what year it appeared in. For example, in the early 80s, Storm dressed like a punk and had a mohawk. Y'all remember that?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2006, 02:51 PM

Wow. I can't believe you went to a comic book movie expecting it to be 100% faithful to the comic, have an oscar winning script, real character development drama/chick bullshit, and an absense of cheesy one liners.
I didn't expect any of this. I expected much the same as the first two - a healthy dose of average on most of these factors, and when combined with the action you expect from a series finale I was looking at a pretty solid movie.

What I got left me quite disappointed. I suppose if your manly self doesn't like to see "character development" - aka "chick bullshit" - and loves stuff catching on fire and blowing up, then it was a great movie. Me, I think the lame-o "Robert Frost" showdown pretty much summed it up - great potential, but with sad implementation.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules